Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Not a great slot! They will have a much better one on Saorview.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Well, there are only eight channels on Saorview, so any slot is good really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Few screen shots of the looped promo on UTVI on satellite for those without access -

51ewzq.jpg

2mhsy09.jpg

6jdr3n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

I wonder if they will get a temp channel on UPC just to promo the launch - even countdown - or will UTV just promote it on UTV Northern Ireland using opt outs during ad breaks if they have an Eire feed.

I wonder if they will get a temp channel on UPC just to promo the launch - even countdown - or will UTV just promote it on UTV Northern Ireland using opt outs during ad breaks if they have an Eire feed.
    I assume we will see UTVNI staying on UPC until Jan 1st (maybe moved down EPG with 110 being replaced with the promo loop)

• Advertisement

My gut feeling is that it will stay exactly where it is until 31st December. After all, UTV itself is the best promo UTV Ireland could have.

https://twitter.com/MW_UTV/status/539542105761542144

A definite answer on the UPC issue from the MD of UTV..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭BowWow

Will UTV Ireland be FTA on satellite?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

BowWow wrote: »

Tests are encrypted at the moment but who knows as each bird go up at 28.2 the spot beam is getting tighter & tighter on the British Isles, something that could affect FTA at the end of the day. That said most ITV regions with much same content as UTV Ireland are already FTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭lertsnim

BowWow wrote: »

I wouldn't think so. UTV Ireland has rights to some programming not shown by UTV in Northern Ireland. My guess is that it will be encrypted on satellite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

icdg wrote: »
    Well, there are only eight channels on Saorview, so any slot is good really.
    TV3 would have them on slot 892 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

lertsnim wrote: »
    I wouldn't think so. UTV Ireland has rights to some programming not shown by UTV in Northern Ireland. My guess is that it will be encrypted on satellite.

Though if they pay for Saorsat (not much cost compared to other platforms), that would be FTA.

I wonder will we get ITV 2,3 and 4 at some stage on the Sky epg seeing as they run alongside UTV in Northern Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

I did a scan of 12012 V 29500 2/3 DVB-S2 QPSK today and located 4037 coming soon (encrypted); When I pressed the "i" button on remote it confirmed Channel as UTV Ireland and quality as HD. However the HD shows as only 576i - while BBC / UTV HD is 1080i. Lower end of HD scale I think!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

TV3 would have them on slot 892 :D

in the radio section :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Hibrasil wrote: »
    I did a scan of 12012 V 29500 2/3 DVB-S2 QPSK today and located 4037 coming soon (encrypted); When I pressed the "i" button on remote it confirmed Channel as UTV Ireland and quality as HD. However the HD shows as only 576i - while BBC / UTV HD is 1080i. Lower end of HD scale I think!!!

It is testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭mollser

http://www.u.tv/blogs/Michael-Wilson/Final-pieces-of-the-jigsaw/a1fc057b-874c-4de9-bec4-84bbe8fdb93a

this confirms HD on UPC and Sky, thankfully. No mention of Saorview, likely not agreed yet

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

mollser wrote: »
    No mention of Saorview, likely not agreed yet

All agreed, just waiting for the LCN
    Agreements have been reached with leading platform providers Saorview, Sky, UPC and eVision for carriage of UTV Ireland. Ireland’s newest television channel will be available on Sky channel 116, UPC channel 110 and eVision channel 108. The Saorview channel number for UTV Ireland will be allocated shortly.

http://www.utv.ie/

and from the blog
    Our EPG numbers on UPC will be 110, on Sky is 116 and on eVision is 108. Our position on Saorview will be announced shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

According to Saorview on Facebook, The LCN for UTV Ireland will be known at the end of the week.

A press release for UTV Ireland on Saorview is here > http://www.saorview.ie/news/utv-ireland-to-launch-on-saorview/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Mallagio

According to Saorview on Facebook, The LCN for UTV Ireland will be known at the end of the week.

A press release for UTV Ireland on Saorview is here > http://www.saorview.ie/news/utv-ireland-to-launch-on-saorview/

No mention of HD broadcasting on Saorview as of yet

mollser wrote: »

Some other interesting titbits in that article:

"Barker" channels to appear later this week (though presumably not on UPC? They'll hardly take UTV NI off already?)

Schedules for the first weekend will be published later in the week.

UTV Player and OnDemand services to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Mallagio wrote: »
    No mention of HD broadcasting on Saorview as of yet

This is worrying. Fine, channel number may not be agreed yet, but that shouldn't stop them saying that they'll be in HD on Saorview. It will be a shame if they are in HD on all platforms except the only free platform, the national terrestrial service.

What is a "barker" channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

zorro2566 wrote: »
    What is a "barker" channel?

It's a channel that shows previews of what shows are going to be on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Shows you what a bit of effort, interest in what you are doing and money can do. Launching on day 1 in HD on most (and possibly all) platforms. Shame on you TV3 blaming satellite capacity issues for a lack of HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,941 ✭✭✭✭flazio

From a Sky Satellite pov, will UTV NI still be tunable in the Other Channels section? I find ITV the lesser of two evils for Tuesday night Champion league over TV3 (though I hear BT Sports have the UK rights for next season)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

No reason why UTV NI will change on Satellite, ITV and STV are FTA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭Infoanon

It's a channel that shows previews of what shows are going to be on.

Its already on albeit not on the EPG, yet !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

No reason why UTV NI will change on Satellite, ITV and STV are FTA

UTV and STV are covered by ITV for Sat transmissions. I wonder how UTV Ireland will schedule I'm A Celeb...

Advertisement