Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I can't understand why people leap to TV3's defence .. As a lad there is not one programme that I watch on TV3 - Dire Champions League coverage forces me to the British alternative IN HD! ... So after nearly 20 odd years on air they have not one single programme that I would watch - that alone is damning.

Viewing figures show without the soaps they are left with all but nothing - how people can defend them is beyond me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I do not think that anyone is defending them. They are abysmal and produce nothing of any quality.

However, it is the politicos and the BAI who should have forced them to comply with their licence. 3E should never have gone on Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

irishfeen wrote: »
    I can't understand why people leap to TV3's defence .. As a lad there is not one programme that I watch on TV3 - Dire Champions League coverage forces me to the British alternative IN HD! ... So after nearly 20 odd years on air they have not one single programme that I would watch - that alone is damning.

I don't think one persons view on whether he watches a show on a channel means an awful lot. I've never watched anything on TG4 - doesn't mean I can consider it a disaster. Their Champions League coverage is watched by more than three times the amount of viewers on TV3 than compared to UTV.
    Viewing figures show without the soaps they are left with all but nothing - how people can defend them is beyond me.

The X factor was their most watched show last week, with it being the 3rd most watched show on Irish TV behind the Ireland game and Late Late Show. They are losing Emmerdale which is on 6 times a week, and Corrie which is on 5 times. That doesn't equate to their whole schedule over a week. Home produced shows like Red Rock, Life, The Lie and other shows can fill those gaps. Obviously, ratings won't come close to the itv soaps, but I'm glad they are going down this home-produced programming route instead of buying in shows like Hollyoaks and Home & Away to fill the gaps.

iseegirls wrote: »
    I don't think one persons view on whether he watches a show on a channel means an awful lot. I've never watched anything on TG4 - doesn't mean I can consider it a disaster. Their Champions League coverage is watched by more than three times the amount of viewers on TV3 than compared to UTV.

The X factor was their most watched show last week, with it being the 3rd most watched show on Irish TV behind the Ireland game and Late Late Show. They are losing Emmerdale which is on 6 times a week, and Corrie which is on 5 times. That doesn't equate to their whole schedule over a week. Home produced shows like Red Rock, Life, The Lie and other shows can fill those gaps. Obviously, ratings won't come close to the itv soaps, but I'm glad they are going down this home-produced programming route instead of buying in shows like Hollyoaks and Home & Away to fill the gaps.
    X factor last what 15 weeks at most?? .. and you do know Xfactor is made by ITV and not TV3?? ... Their Champions League is among the worst I have ever seen (and I watch a lot of Football), commentators are terrible and I can stream better picture quality over the internet then TV3/3E.

I cannot comment on Red Rock but they won't be winning many awards with "the lie" and the likes. I will concede that its good that they are creating more homemade stuff but in general the quality is very poor.

If UTV force TV3 out of business then they will only have themselves to blame - the hierarchy of the station seem totally out of touch and don't seem to be able to run a television channel properly... TV3 pump money into stuff like Tallafornia, Alan Hughes Family Fortune, Xpose etc. while they rip their weekend news broadcasts off the air... what do TV3 actually strive to achieve?

.. and don't forget Play TV and Psychic Readings Live...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Unfair Irishfeen let not assume anyone works for or is associated with any of the TV services.

I think Life is a very bad decision they may as well buy in Home and Away. IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭endakenny

X factor last what 15 weeks at most?? .. and you do know Xfactor is made by ITV and not TV3??
    The X Factor isn't even made by ITV; it's made by Thames, FremantleMedia and Syco Entertainment.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Elmo wrote: »
    Unfair Irishfeen let not assume anyone works for or is associated with any of the TV services.

Indeed, but let's not back seat moderate either

Bids for the Irish rights to the Champions League close tommorow so we should know pretty soon whether TV3 will retain that.

endakenny wrote: »
    The X Factor isn't even made by ITV; it's made by Thames, FremantleMedia and Syco Entertainment.
    Don't be pedantic now :pac: - its made for/commissioned by ITV ... like Love/Hate is made by Octagon Films.

iseegirls wrote: »
    =
    The 6pm news is up against the beast that is RTE News At 6 - there's only one way that is going to end. The 10pm news is 30mins after the RTE 9pm news - again - there's only so much news that people want.
    Given that Ireland Live at 6 will, obviously, start a minute earlier than Six-One, it might do well.

Don't be pedantic now :pac: - its made for/commissioned by ITV ... like Love/Hate is made by Octagon Films.
    Fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Unfortunately the history of TV3 News@6 (remember that?) and Sky News Ireland tells a different story.

icdg wrote: »
    Bids for the Irish rights to the Champions League close tommorow so we should know pretty soon whether TV3 will retain that.
    Sneaky bid from UTVI maybe? unlikely but would be a major sports asset if they wanted to go down that route.

I think Life is a very bad decision they may as well buy in Home and Away. IMO.
    Your right, sorry iseegirls I shouldn't have said that.

icdg wrote: »
    Unfortunately the history of TV3 News@6 (remember that?) and Sky News Ireland tells a different story.

There are crucial differences on that issue:

TV3 wasn't available on most relay transmitters when it started but UTV Ireland will be available to all terrestrial viewers.

Sky News has always been available in the Republic only on satellite and cable. Sky News Ireland was pointless because it was out of place on a British 24-hour news channel but Ireland Live at 6 won't be out of place on UTV Ireland.

What is the reason for UTV Ireland's secrecy with regard to its possible availability on Saorview?

What is the reason for UTV Ireland's secrecy with regard to its possible availability on Saorview?
    Well they did say they wanted to be available on all platforms but the secrecy since I assume was because negotiations were underway with Saorview, UPC, Sky and Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,502 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

No secrecy, official announcement regarding carriage in the next two weeks

From post 118
    xfvs08.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ciarandee1

mac interiors have a bit about utv Ireland on their website

wont let me post link on here

• Registered Users Posts: 15,502 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

ciarandee1 wrote: »
    mac interiors have a bit about utv Ireland on their website

http://www.mac-interiors.com/utv-ireland-headquarters/

The Cush wrote: »
    Looks classy enough, have they build any actualy studios for the channel (apart from news) I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,865 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I can imagine that content filming will be shared between Macken House in Dublin and Havelock House in Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Looks classy enough, have they build any actualy studios for the channel (apart from news) I wonder?
    I would doubt it. One of their two studios in Belfast is mothballed, the other only used for news.

I would doubt it. One of their two studios in Belfast is mothballed, the other only used for news.
    I wonder though where they propose to film Pat Kenny's new chat show though? Maybe TV3/Sony HD studio :)

Or RTÉ studios, available for hire:http://studios.rte.ie/home/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Or in one of their radio stations.

watty wrote: »
    Or in one of their radio stations.

I would have thought that a radio studio would be far too small.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Most would be.

The days when radio stations had a hall for concerts and orchestras are nearly gone.

OB at the UCH UL?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

watty wrote: »
    Most would be.

The days when radio stations had a hall for concerts and orchestras are nearly gone.

OB at the UCH UL?

The helix? :(

https://twitter.com/utvireland/status/538322054643478528

Interestingly on UTV.ie they mention a HD studio for the first time - here's hoping they launch on all platforms in HD.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The helix? :(

Or copy TV3 and use the RDS.

Advertisement