Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Adrian4

I think that Tnag being renamed as TG4 show that being up at the top of a schedule is an advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Adrian4 wrote: »
    I think that Tnag being renamed as TG4 show that being up at the top of a schedule is an advantage.

A good EPG position can help, but unless you have the programmes its worthless eg City TV on 107.Channel 6 on 106etc or in the UK Ch.5 on 105.

Viewers will find their programmes be it BBC1 HD on Sky 215 or UTV HD on other channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Infoanon wrote: »
    A good EPG position can help, but unless you have the programmes its worthless eg City TV on 107.Channel 6 on 106etc or in the UK Ch.5 on 105.

Viewers will find their programmes be it BBC1 HD on Sky 215 or UTV HD on other channels.

Channel 5 does well out of it in fairness regardless of their schedule. Channel 6 had a better schedule than 3e has ever had, but being available on Soarview and Sky helps and also that position is important, also popular programming like I'm a Celeb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Elmo wrote: »
    TV3 did take one BBC weekend programme a few years back and inserted ads, could be done easily enough as many BBC programmes are made with the intention of ads.
    Not live ones, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Elmo wrote: »
    Channel 5 does well out of it in fairness regardless of their schedule. Channel 6 had a better schedule than 3e has ever had, but being available on Soarview and Sky helps and also that position is important, also popular programming like I'm a Celeb.

Channel 5 is often beaten in the ratings by eg ITV2, E4, BBC4, ITV+1 - programming is key, Corrie and Emmerdale pull means EPG positioning is not overly important.

As an aside the EPG positions offered to UTV Ireland were the best they could have hoped for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

galtee boy wrote: »
    This is worrying. Fine, channel number may not be agreed yet, but that shouldn't stop them saying that they'll be in HD on Saorview. It will be a shame if they are in HD on all platforms except the only free platform, the national terrestrial service.
    You are right this is bad, a long piece like that and no mention of HD it doesn't look good for UTVI HD on Saorview. They have probably looked at the cost and the number of viewers for HD and thought its not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,941 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Surely in this day and age you can't launch a new primary channel on a FTA platform without it being HD ready?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Details of the order signed by the Minister
    S.I. No. 542 of 2014.

BROADCASTING ACT 2009 (SECTION 130(1)(A)(IV) DESIGNATION) ORDER 2014.

Under the Broadcasting Act 2009 the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources has made an Order as above dated 1st December, 2014.

The Order designates the television service, to be provided by UTV Ireland in accordance with a content provision contract between it and the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland under Section 71 of the Broadcasting Act 2009, as having the character of a public service for the purposes of Section 130(1)(a)(iv) of the Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

flazio wrote: »
    Surely in this day and age you can't launch a new primary channel on a FTA platform without it being HD ready?
    Well you would have thought so, especially for UTV who always make a big play of their technical prowess! I suppose it all comes down to cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭dublinbusdude

UTV Ireland is on EPG; noticed it this morning!!

• Advertisement

I checked at about 9am and it wasnt there.What time did you notice it was on?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

What channel number?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Loughc wrote: »
    What channel number?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Is UTVI encrypted? .. If so is HD clearing with a non HD subscription like RTÉ2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

will saorview loop start next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ffocused

irishfeen wrote: »
    Is UTVI encrypted? .. If so is HD clearing with a non HD subscription like RTÉ2

Its encrypted as i get insert viewing card message when card removed. I imagine if you only have an SD sub, the SD variant will be on channel 116. I have HD so cannot check that.

ffocused wrote: »
    Its encrypted as i get insert viewing card message when card removed. I imagine if you only have an SD sub, the SD variant will be on channel 116. I have HD so cannot check that.
    RTÉ2 HD is on 102 now for us even though we have a SD sub - I would imagine UTVI HD will be on 116 if it's included under a SD sub.

Interesting to note it's encrypted so UTVI can now tender for all rights RTÉ, TV3, Sky etc have for just the Republic if they so wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭dublinbusdude

zorro2566 wrote: »
    I checked at about 9am and it wasnt there.What time did you notice it was on?

Around 10:30 this morning

Interesting to note it's encrypted so UTVI can now tender for all rights RTÉ, TV3, Sky etc have for just the Republic if they so wish.

UTVI only have ROI rights for ITV programming, they can't go out in the clear.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

TV3 will gain sports viewers for live champions league games between Feb 2015-may 2015
    and Rugby 2015 world cup in sep 2015-oct 2015

TV3 will also gain viewers for britains got talent, 'the x factor', broadchurch, downton abbey as they are non ITV Studios content

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The trouble with the World Cup viewers is that they won't stick with TV3, particulalrly if it were to be the swansong for sports coverage on the channel. But we don't know that yet.

Pitty that you have to have a HD sub with sky to watch UTVI in HD..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Rick_

Is it going to be in HD on Saorview then? Has that been announced?

Paddy C wrote: »
    Is it going to be in HD on Saorview then? Has that been announced?
    No announcement on EPG slot number or HD, just that it will be going on saorview in some form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

No announcement on EPG slot number or HD, just that it will be going on saorview in some form.
    I asked Saorview on their Facebook page yesterday would UTVI be in HD on Saorview and the reply I got back is that they don't know yet. Why is launching a channel on Saorview always a big deal?

natashaob6 wrote: »
    I asked Saorview on their Facebook page yesterday would UTVI be in HD on Saorview and the reply I got back is that they don't know yet. Why is launching a channel on Saorview always a big deal?

Because all of the stakeholders have got their heads in the sand. They don't care or understand that 60% of the audience watch other TV because of their policies, lack of vision and their differing views.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭iseegirls

As a matter of interest, is there any stats around which show how many households have Saorview, Sky, UPC and others?

iseegirls wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, is there any stats around which show how many households have Saorview, Sky, UPC and others?

ComReg publish quarterly household type stats, though FreeView Spillover and FTA Sat is a bit sketchy and they don't explain how many mix and match.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

Anyone know whether as a PSB they are allowed to be put in the HD pack? I remember Sky tried to put RTE2 HD in the pack when it first went on satellite but were forced by the bai to remove it after a number of complaints...

• Advertisement

Pete2k wrote: »
    Anyone know whether as a PSB they are allowed to be put in the HD pack? I remember Sky tried to put RTE2 HD in the pack when it first went on satellite but were forced by the bai to remove it after a number of complaints...

I wouldn't say the BAI force them on anything, RTÉ may have pushed them on it.

Advertisement