Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Jaysus, Pats wife is gorgeous !
    She's a lasher :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

lertsnim wrote: »
    So they start on 31st December 2014?

I would think they could start now if they wanted. It is only ITV programmes that start on the 1st Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

jca wrote: »
    Where is it testing on the sky egg?

This is what some people think is a test :

Looks like UTV HD Ireland tests have begun.
    Details here:

12.012 V SR 29500 FEC 3/4 DVB-S2 QPSK

4037 - carrying UTV

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭dublinbusdude

RTE & TG4 should be on demand on Sky! hoping UTV Ireland be the same

Should have RTE1HD, RTE1+1, RTE News Now, TV3 HD, TV3+1 & TG4 HD on Sky and digital teletext e.g. Red Button on all Irish Channels on both Sky & UPC

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭dublinbusdude

galtee boy wrote: »

Details here:

4037 - carrying UTV

Can that work on the older Sky HD+ boxes?

• Advertisement

duplicate

Details here:

4037 - carrying UTV
    Seems to be carrying UTV subtitles with a blank screen - certainly looks like its associated with UTV anyway.

irishfeen wrote: »
    Seems to be carrying UTV subtitles with a blank screen - certainly looks like its associated with UTV anyway.

How can you tell about the subtitles with a sky plus hd box?

Not a sky box I checked it on :)

You can't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Here is UTV and the subtitles from that encrypted channel side by side. Airtricity ad on the left, Airtricity subtitles to the right

PQ is rubbish in the picture

Here is UTV and the subtitles from that encrypted channel side by side. Airtricity ad on the left, Airtricity subtitles to the right

Very fancy set up lertsnim :) - would be amazed if this isn't the pre-test stage for UTVI.

I thought this "test" was also supposed to be in HD ?

Its flagged on sky boxes as HD - "Call the broadcaster to upgrade your subscription to receive this HD channel"

Who said it wasn't? I certainly didn't. Nor did I ever say that it was.

Who said it wasn't? I certainly didn't. Nor did I ever say that it was.

You said the picture quality was rubbish, so I assumed it wasn't in HD.

Think he was talking about the actual picture he took of the two screens..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

afatbollix wrote: »
    Graham Norton is recorded a couple of days before hand and edited. So they can edit it for ads.

Well yes, of course, that was my point. They can do it for that but not for Strictly (at least the Saturday broadcast).

The photo I meant. I am not able to see the test channel so couldn't possibly comment on the quality there.

The UTV picture on the left is the SD version on satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Richard wrote: »
    Well yes, of course, that was my point. They can do it for that but not for Strictly (at least the Saturday broadcast).

TV3 did take one BBC weekend programme a few years back and inserted ads, could be done easily enough as many BBC programmes are made with the intention of ads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Details here:

4037 - carrying UTV

I just get the upgrade your subscription to receive this channel message. I have the HD sub. UTV HD isn't working either, I get; this channel has a technical fault try again later.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,547 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

A channel stuffed with British programming and little national production. How wonderful. Wouldn't surprise me if we got the "national" ITN news at 10 prior to our mere regional news.

If you are genuine about setting up a national station at least do that. I find the line up, as an Irish person that wants to see tv advance in this country, actually insulting.

TV3 might not be great but at least they give it a go. These guys, if they put TV3 out of business, will damage the tv industry in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

A channel stuffed with British programming and little national production. How wonderful. Wouldn't surprise me if we got the "national" ITN news at 10 prior to our mere regional news.

If you are genuine about setting up a national station at least do that. I find the line up, as an Irish person that wants to see tv advance in this country, actually insulting.

TV3 might not be great but at least they give it a go. These guys, if they put TV3 out of business, will damage the tv industry in this country.

No they won't TV3's programming is nearly all in house and made up of imports after that. The TV industry in Ireland is still largely built on RTÉ and TG4. UTV are purely replicating what TV3 have done in the past minus breaky TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Pat Kenny will make an appearance on launch day
    Kenny will make an on-screen appearance on the station's first day of broadcast on January 1. "I will be visible on the first day, doing what is undecided. My show won't be on till spring. It's a work in progress," he said.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/pat-kenny-unfazed-by-rtes-frontline-replacement-30768297.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

They will not be, in fact as far as we know no ITN shows will be airing. (that said, they will likely need to partner with someone for international news and it may as well be ITN).
    You may point out to me all the news programming TV3 produces in prime time - oh that's right, there isn't any. In fact there is now no news on TV3 after 6:00pm (which is before most people are in from work) and no news at all between 6:00pm Friday and 7:00am Monday. Because nothing happens at the weekend, of course.

TV3 are terrible and IMO it's unfair to compare UTVI yet. TV3 have never given it a proper go, the consently give out about RTÉ and you just wait for them to attack UTVI now. If they put as much effort on making good television as giving out then they would be fine.

You say they produce Irish television, no they produce terrible, tacky showbiz stuff and have never even tried to take on RTÉ properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

so will they go on air at midnight with a live show or just a prerecorded loop?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Completely agree. The fact that UTVIreland will show Good Morning Britain, Lorraine, Loose Women and This Morning shows how much they care about whether or not they are Irish.

There will be the same shows as ITV has on now - with a half an hour of Lesser Seen Ireland at 7:30 on a Thursday evening - and they'll say this in ingenious Irish programming.

The 6pm news is up against the beast that is RTE News At 6 - there's only one way that is going to end. The 10pm news is 30mins after the RTE 9pm news - again - there's only so much news that people want.

As for the saviour that is Pat Kenny? I'd love to know how much they coughed up for him - and then they'll more than likely put him on a Sunday for his 'pre-recorded show'. The fact that they've said "Love Hate gets nearly a million viewers on a Sunday, so the audience is there" shows how deluded they are about the whole process. Comparisons to Graham Norton as well? Pat Kenny won't be interviewing anyone past the D list of celebs, and instead will be talking to Mary Lou McDonald in a show that will be recorded on Thursday, but will be broadcast on Sunday. Sounds great.

Personally I wont rubbish their Irish made content until I see it.

TV3 on the other hand I have seen and nothing there is worth mentioning. Vincent Brown once upon a time I could tolerate but not any more. Also he is on far too late. TV3 should have him on between 9.30 and 11pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

either way UTV will make a much better effort than TV3 ever did and wont complain about the whole world being against it etc..

Advertisement