Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Will it be FTA on Sky or part of the sub like the other Irish channels?
    Highly likely it will encrypted and be part of basic package like the rest of the Irish channels.

irishfeen wrote: »
    Where does it read your quote on that article?

Click the read more tab on the telegraph website!

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Click the read more tab on the telegraph website!
    Ah OK ha I didn't see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Ah OK ha I didn't see that.

Paragraph 22.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Anyone know if its going to be HD or SD?

• Advertisement

afatbollix wrote: »
    Anyone know if its going to be HD or SD?
    By the suspected testing of UTVI it seems likely to be in HD on sky although it could very well go behind the HD paywall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

By the suspected testing of UTVI it seems likely to be in HD on sky although it could very well go behind the HD paywall.

it should be covered under the basic sky package

I hope its HD for saorview

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

What's on SKY at the moment can't be considered a test for UTVI , at least not yet. It could be anything. Until we see a UTVI test card or promo on it, it cannot be considered a test for UTVI, at least in my opinion anyway.

galtee boy wrote: »
    What's on SKY at the moment can't be considered a test for UTVI , at least not yet. It could be anything. Until we see a UTVI test card or promo on it, it cannot be considered a test for UTVI, at least in my opinion anyway.
    I'd say it's odds on that its for UTVI.. We will I suppose soon find out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭dublinbusdude

Good Question there: who will host the weather???

• Advertisement

Good Question there: who will host the weather???
    I hope they go down the Met Eireann route - weather presenters should be meteorologists - end of. ... Martin bloody King :(

I hope they go down the Met Eireann route - weather presenters should be meteorologists - end of. ... Martin bloody King :(

Whats wrong having Martin King doing the weather :(

Whats wrong having Martin King doing the weather :(
    He's not a meteorologist :)

So is news readers on local & national radio too

So is news readers on local & national radio too
    TV is different - any decent channel will have weather data based on facts from meteorologists and the relevant met service. A man reading from an autocue with a few clouds behind him on screen with a few town names on a map is not weather. It degrading those who study the profession IMO, a very hard and complex profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭lertsnim

TV is different - any decent channel will have weather data based on facts from meteorologists and the relevant met service. A man reading from an autocue with a few clouds behind him on screen with a few town names on a map is not weather. It degrading those who study the profession IMO, a very hard and complex profession.

RTÉ have too many weather presenters too but rarely do people complain about them.

lertsnim wrote: »
    RTÉ have too many weather presenters too but rarely do people complain about them.
    They have a core base of meteorologists presenters though and when big weather events occur they come into their own.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

On UTV NI weather is (or was, it's a good long time since I last saw it) chiefly done by Frank Mitchell on the teatime forecast and on other forecasts by the duty newsreader. They don't use meteorologists.

OT but the reason the RTE team is so large was due to RTE's botched attempt to ditch the Met Eireann presenters a good few years ago. There was a bit of a media outcry (I'm not sure the general public cared so much) and it was decided that meteorologists would do the forecasts on RTE One and the new recruits the forecasts on RTE Two. Enough were recruited to do all the forecasts on both channels though. There aren't really any forecasts on RTE Two any more so I'm not sure how they're deployed - if you see Met Eireann under the presenters name at the start they are a meteorologist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Doesn't make a blind bit of difference if its all going into the "UTV Media" coppers ... they already sell ads to the south on UTVNI - UTV want TV3 out of the equation, this would be a massive step in helping that become a reality

It makes a lot of difference - if advertisers want to target advertisements to the Republic, they'll want to guarentee that southern viewers will be watching. They won't be able to sell it for so much if they don't. Yes, they already advertise on UTV NI but if that's going to continue to be in a prominent position, whats the point of spending millions on this new channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Elmo wrote: »
    UTV Ireland could always buy in BBC Weekend programming like Strictly, RTÉ tend not to buy theses

It'd be difficult to rebroadcast a live BBC show because UTVi would need to show adverts. If they delayed parts of it for adverts there would be a problem with voting.

I believe they are showing Graham Norton, though.

• Advertisement

Richard wrote: »
    It makes a lot of difference - if advertisers want to target advertisements to the Republic, they'll want to guarentee that southern viewers will be watching. They won't be able to sell it for so much if they don't. Yes, they already advertise on UTV NI but if that's going to continue to be in a prominent position, whats the point of spending millions on this new channel?
    Yes but if keeping UTVNI on the EPG means drawing viewers from TV3 then it will be worth it - UTV will want TV3 gone asap - they know they are in trouble.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

http://www.independent.ie/business/media/rte-plans-for-online-viewing-to-take-on-upc-and-sky-30764576.html

still need broadband from upc or sky broadband to use saorview connected

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

that article's connection to UTV Ireland is tenuous at best

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Richard wrote: »
    It'd be difficult to rebroadcast a live BBC show because UTVi would need to show adverts. If they delayed parts of it for adverts there would be a problem with voting.

I believe they are showing Graham Norton, though.

Graham Norton is recorded a couple of days before hand and edited. So they can edit it for ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

galtee boy wrote: »

Where is it testing on the sky egg?

Poster on DS -
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=75738397&postcount=94

2edqvli.jpg

Suggesting PK will have his own chat show and they are well on the way to being carried on all 4 platforms

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Suggesting PK will have his own chat show and they are well on the way to being carried on all 4 platforms

Oh, PK will host a live New Year's Countdown! Emm! Interesting to hear them talk about Budgets, Elections etc something TV3 were very slow to give coverage too, don't think they have ever give live coverage to Budgets and did they cover the local elections this year? As a news and current affairs service TV3 is very small, you'd never go to tv3.ie for news, just look at u.tv for the amount of news they provide, if they do that tv3.ie will be under pressure, something again that TV3 could have address this year.

Poster on DS -
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=75738397&postcount=94

2edqvli.jpg

Jaysus, Pats wife is gorgeous !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Elmo wrote: »
    Oh, PK will host a live New Year's Countdown!

So they start on 31st December 2014?

Advertisement