Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

It would IMO be a very bad decision for UTV to remove UTVNI from UPC - They have the best of both worlds leaving it there as it further draws away viewers from TV3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭endakenny

irishfeen wrote: »
    It would IMO be a very bad decision for UTV to remove UTVNI from UPC - They have the best of both worlds leaving it there as it further draws away viewers from TV3.
    The problem is that having both of them on UPC:cool: would mean that UTV NI would take away from UTV Ireland's advertising revenue.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

endakenny wrote: »
    The problem is that having both of them on UPC:cool: would mean that UTV NI would take away from UTV Ireland's advertising revenue.

Yeah, that's the reason they'd want to remove it essentially. They don't want to cannibalise their own viewership, particularly when they'll be showing the same programmes a good chunk of the time.

At the best, expect it to be demoted down the EPG a good way but I expect it to go entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

There was a programme on UTV & ITV a couple of nights ago called 'the nation's favourite queen songs'. I wonder how Irish people will feel about these types of shows on UTV Ireland, given that we're a different nation?

Well, I don't see protests outside Ballymount about TV3/3e showing Britain's Got Talent, Booze Britain, or any of the other shows of the format "Britains Somethingist Somethings" that they've shown over the years. In fact, Britain's Got Talent is one of their top rating programmes (and one they'll be continuing to show, it being made by Thames rather than ITV).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

Slightly off topic but was reading this in the car on the way home, looked up and on the opposite side of the road passing me was a 141 modeo estate with big utv branding all over it. What are the odds!

Doesn't make a blind bit of difference if its all going into the "UTV Media" coppers ... they already sell ads to the south on UTVNI - UTV want TV3 out of the equation, this would be a massive step in helping that become a reality.

Just take the Rugby World cup - TV3 laud it everywhere but UTV could just say its on UTV too... sly/smart advertisement could help the UTV family greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

icdg wrote: »
    Well, I don't see protests outside Ballymount about TV3/3e showing Britain's Got Talent, Booze Britain, or any of the other shows of the format "Britains Somethingist Somethings" that they've shown over the years. In fact, Britain's Got Talent is one of their top rating programmes (and one they'll be continuing to show, it being made by Thames rather than ITV).

You're right of course. I hope the NI version stays on UPC even if it's down the epg.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

You're right of course. I hope the NI version stays on UPC even if it's down the epg.

I'd say if that did happen TV3 would look for RWC to be blocked on UPC.

Elmo wrote: »
    I'd say if that did happen TV3 would look for RWC to be blocked on UPC.
    I actually think that might not be allowed - Am I mad or do I vaguely remember reading somewhere that UTV years back came to an agreement with the government for a fee to broadcast in the south on cable without restriction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

UTV also have that scenario if they both go on Saorview/Freesat or Saorview/FTA Satellite.

But that scenario won't matter for UTV either because they would work damn hard to make sure that they make as much money as possible from advertising revenues from viewers all over Ireland and beyond because of their bigger reach by going free to air on satellite. They are a well established brand in broadcasting in this country for the last 50 years so in effect going on platforms like Saorview should not be a problem for them because with their portfolio's resources and assets it looks in effect to be a very well utilised operation for the other broadcasters like TV3 can only dream of.

You just have to look at the constant moaning TV3 do to make themselves feel relevant. They are actually the only broadcasters in Ireland without a radio station to boost their "big" status in Irish broadcasting. Having to go down the route of being on TV only in broadcasting is a massive risk of failure on their part.

The only difference UTV would do the work in terms of boosting their profile in more ways than one. The only difference in TV3 is that if there is any massive change in their profile, they could crib and moan until the cows come home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 realistic anorak

Any chance of them being on saorsat i wonder ?

The EU directive AVWF clear say "where practicable". This allows for foreign based TV channles in EU countries to transmit into other EU countries, however only "where practicable" in other words if a broadcaster doesn't hold rights to programmes in certain regions then it can't broadcast in those regions.

The MOU is just as vague as to the main NI PSB in RoI, first they were to be on Saorview then it changed to PayTV "where practicable" or as much as possible. Note: Sky never added UTV to its line up yet it would be governed under that MoU.

Unless ITV have bought RoI rights for RWC along with UK rights there is no reason why TV3 could no ask for a block on UPC. As pointed out they may have over spent on those rights, they will want value and it will prob be as the audience's expence.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

At a guess, I'd assume UTV NI will be replaced by UTV I on the UPC epg. If they go on Sky, would they want/need to encrypt?

marclt wrote: »
    At a guess, I'd assume UTV NI will be replaced by UTV I on the UPC epg. If they go on Sky, would they want/need to encrypt?

This is the catch. UTV NI is part of the ITV Network all ITV regions including STV and UTVNI are unencrypted as they hold the rights to those programmes as part of the ITV Network, while clearly they are cover under the MoU on UPC, though I wonder if they will keep to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

while clearly they are cover under the MoU on UPC, though I wonder if they will keep to that?

The MoU was a gentleman's agreement between the two governments in the period leading up to ASO/DSO, it had little relevance to the commercial networks.

The Cush wrote: »
    The MoU was a gentleman's agreement between the two governments in the period leading up to ASO/DSO, it had little relevance to the commercial networks.

Is Saorview light not a continuation of the MoU ? Is the provision of BBC NI on sky and UPC not a continuation of the MoU? And shouldn't UTVNI also be available under the MoU on sky?

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/life/broadcasting-chiefs-tuned-in-for-160m-switchon-of-new-channel-30745865.html

Suggestion here that they are spending 160m sure they might have bought TV3 for 10m and kept their loans! Unlike to have cost any more than €50m. Though prehaps they've invested in broadcasting equipment, though I am sure that they have econs of scale from UTV NI and UTV Radio, no? and even then unlikely that such cost would bring it up to anywhere near 160m if so they won't last.

Estimates

20 - 30m for ITV rights
    10 - 15m for Irish programming
    10 - 15m for facilities ????
    10 - 15m for other rights
    1 - 3m for platforms
    total 51 to 78m

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/life/broadcasting-chiefs-tuned-in-for-160m-switchon-of-new-channel-30745865.html

Suggestion here that they are spending 160m sure they might have bought TV3 for 10m and kept their loans! Unlike to have cost any more than €50m. Though prehaps they've invested in broadcasting equipment, though I am sure that they have econs of scale from UTV NI and UTV Radio, no? and even then unlikely that such cost would bring it up to anywhere near 160m if so they won't last.

Estimates

20 - 30m for ITV rights
    10 - 15m for Irish programming
    10 - 15m for facilities ????
    10 - 15m for other rights
    1 - 3m for platforms
    total 51 to 78m
    I would also very much question the €160m figure... no way are they spending that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

marclt wrote: »
    At a guess, I'd assume UTV NI will be replaced by UTV I on the UPC epg.

Do you think UTV would ask to have UTV NI removed or do you think it would be UPCs choice.

I don't see why UPC would want to remove it, they carry plenty of worse channels.

If UTV want it removed, couldn't UPC put ITV Wales on instead?
    After all that was the region that Waterford and Cork used to receive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I am not sure UPC digital myself but I am at a guess that viewers on UPC Analogue would have UTV NI replaced with UTVI on that platform as it does not have a custom epg for that service.

The main changes for the analogue cable viewers of UTVI and on any other platform, expect Saorview as you could gain it there, would be the loss of rights for Good Morning Britain, the sports rights e.g. the England football matches and CL Highlights, UTV Live from Belfast replaced with Ireland Live with Alison Comyn and Chris Donoghue and Lesser Spotted Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Is the provision of BBC NI on sky and UPC not a continuation of the MoU?

No, the channels were there before the MoU, and it the MoU didn't exist they would still be there. There was no threat to remove them if an MoU wasn't in place. They are on those networks because of commercial agreements between them and the carriers.
    And shouldn't UTVNI also be available under the MoU on sky?

If you reread the MoU you'll find no reference to the commercial networks, north or south, only RTÉ/TG4/BBC.

Basically the MoU came about because of the need to coordinate the transition from analogue terrestrial broadcasting to digital terrrestrial broadcasting between the two parts of the island with a few other bits tagged on.

This from the Dept's website
    Memorandum of Understanding - Coordination of digital switchover with Northern Ireland

On 1st February 2010 the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources, signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the UK Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport. This MOU provides for North-South co-operation on the transition to Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT) and analogue switch off.

The Memorandum, is aimed at ensuring a smooth transition to digital switchover and the switch-off of analogue services in Northern Ireland and Ireland.

It commits the two Governments to facilitating the widespread availability of RTÉ services in Northern Ireland on a free-to-air basis and BBC services in Ireland on a paid for basis. The provision of BBC throughout Ireland is a commercial decision for BBC as, unlike RTÉ, BBC does not have a mandate to provide its services throughout the Island of Ireland.

The Memorandum also ensures the continuing widespread availability of TG4 in Northern Ireland following the digital switchover.

Good article which answers the question of the new channel going onto sky here, it will ! No mention of whether it will be in HD or not, I expect that it will be though!

The MOU sadly is a bit of a one way street. The Government's goal seems to have been to get RTE & TG4 on NI DTT and it got that seemingly without having to give anything in return (or the British seemingly didn't want anything in return). There was also the saga where the initial version with the reciprocal arrangements was pulled within days, seemingly at the behest of UPC, and replaced with the version with the status quo instead. So there's nothing in it for us in the Republic, it's all about getting RTE into the North really.

But this thread is about UTV Ireland and we are going way off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

zorro2566 wrote: »

Good article which answers the question of the new channel going onto sky here, it will ! No mention of whether it will be in HD or not, I expect that it will be though!

I would think that there is a lot of assuming going on in that article re being on Sky etc. We are all assuming its going to be on Sky, Saorview and UPC, but with only 46 days to go, I cannot understand why there is silence on carriage arrangements.

galtee boy wrote: »
    I would think that there is a lot of assuming going on in that article re being on Sky etc. We are all assuming its going to be on Sky, Saorview and UPC, but with only 46 days to go, I cannot understand why there is silence on carriage arrangements.
    That BT article says they are moving into their offices next week, I would imagine when the studios/offices are ready there will be a big press announcement probably within 2 weeks and everything including platforms, EPG numbers, other programme acquisitions, schedule etc. will be announced - if not they might very well be in big trouble in meeting the 1st Jan deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Infoanon

That BT article says they are moving into their offices next week, I would imagine when the studios/offices are ready there will be a big press announcement probably within 2 weeks and everything including platforms, EPG numbers, other programme acquisitions, schedule etc. will be announced - if not they might very well be in big trouble in meeting the 1st Jan deadline.

UTVI will be on air on January 1st - this is a professional organisation - the audience pulling Corrie and Emmerdale make EPG position slightly less important, UPC 110,119 or 105 look the most likely with 116 on Sky being the highest available and most desirable.

Infoanon wrote: »
    UTVI will be on air on January 1st - this is a professional organisation - the audience pulling Corrie and Emmerdale make EPG position slightly less important, UPC 110,119 or 105 look the most likely with 116 on Sky being the highest available and most desirable.
    The thing is sky block all new acquisitions to the EPG in order to minimise any disruption over the very busy Christmas period I think about the 18th of December so in reality they might only have less then 35 days to sort out a deal. Of course there maybe a deal already in place and will be announced imminently but there is always a risk on such a tight timeframe and the fact they have to negotiate with 4 separate platform providers - Sky, UPC, Saorview & Eircom.

The thing is sky block all new acquisitions to the EPG in order to minimise any disruption over the very busy Christmas period I think about the 18th of December so in reality they might only have less then 35 days to sort out a deal. Of course there maybe a deal already in place and will be announced imminently but there is always a risk on such a tight timeframe and the fact they have to negotiate with 4 separate platform providers - Sky, UPC, Saorview & Eircom.

I'd say everything is signed, it just needs to be announced, and Sky, Soarview and UPC will begin to make once the announcement is made. UTV Ireland so far has been quite on all of its plans.

It has 2 things to announce, international programming and platforms.

• Advertisement

I'd say everything is signed, it just needs to be announced, and Sky, Soarview and UPC will begin to make once the announcement is made. UTV Ireland so far has been quite on all of its plans.

It has 2 things to announce, international programming and platforms.
    Are we expecting much of that?? ... probably ITV Studio content for the most.

Advertisement