Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

irishfeen wrote: »
    Are we expecting much of that?? ... probably ITV Studio content for the most.

I'd say film in general will need to be announced, maybe a few US series or Australian series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Mallagio

Slightly bizarre at this late stage that they haven't told us if this is definitely going to be made available on Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Elmo wrote: »
    I'd say film in general will need to be announced, maybe a few US series or Australian series.
    I think most of the film rights are wrapped up long term - TV3 earlier in the year announced a deal to take film right from RTÉ if I remember correctly. Having a browse through ITV Studio stuff you realise they have some very good content available that TV3 never bothered with.

Mallagio wrote: »
    Slightly bizarre at this late stage that they haven't told us if this is definitely going to be made available on Saorview.
    As I said I think the next 2 weeks will be the time we should learn such things ... if we enter December without an announcement I think the deadline could very well be missed.

I think most of the film rights are wrapped up long term - TV3 earlier in the year announced a deal to take film right from RTÉ if I remember correctly. Having a browse through ITV Studio stuff you realise they have some very good content available that TV3 never bothered with.

They won't be able to rely purely on itv studio, the don't have any Fremantle distributed programming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,637 ✭✭✭Infoanon

As I said I think the next 2 weeks will be the time we should learn such things ... if we enter December without an announcement I think the deadline could very well be missed.

The deadline will NOT be missed - testing at this stage would be a complete waste of time especially when UTV NI is pulling in the Irish advertisement spend in the run up to Christmas.

They won't be able to rely purely on itv studio, the don't have any Fremantle distributed programming.
    Is that a big proportion of the ITV Studio suite do you know?

Infoanon wrote: »
    The deadline will NOT be missed - testing at this stage would be a complete waste of time especially when UTV NI is pulling in the Irish advertisement spend in the run up to Christmas.
    Oh I totally agree that UTV Ireland will launch on the 1st Jan on some platforms but maybe not all platforms. A good EPG position is also vital for the long term success of the venture.

Is that a big proportion of the ITV Studio suite do you know?

AFAIK it's the main weekend/big event ITV programmes.

No sports/no films on UTV Ireland ?

AFAIK it's the main weekend/big event ITV programmes.

No sports/no films on UTV Ireland ?
    Ya TV3 retained the FremantleMedia stuff including XFactor, Britain’s Got Talent, Family Fortunes, Take Me Out, US X Factor and Downton Abbey... Still some big shows there from TV3 but during the week they are going to be slaughtered.

UTVI have big gaps to fill during the weekend but the ITV Studios collection alone has some good stuff so they might be able to stem the tide reverting to TV3. AFAIK there will be no sport (apart from maybe the weekly rallying programme if its still going) but it appears that they have very limited (if even that) access to films as RTÉ, TV3 & TG4 have them tied up - a few from ITV Studios but nothing major at all.

• Advertisement

Just flicking through the ITV Studio stuff there and the seem to have the series "Rectify" on their books ... have heard very good things about it from the States (from the producers of Breaking Bad and rated 8.5 on IMDb) ... its stuff like that (if they have the rights) could do very well for them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The deals already done according to the UTVI website
    ITV Studios GE
    •The Graham Norton Show - Graham Norton presents a show with the best guests, the best comedy and the best fun.
    •Vera - International award winning actress Brenda Blethyn reprises her leading role as the brilliantly perceptive D.C.I. Vera Stanhope for a new series of the popular crime drama.
    •Mr Selfridge - Based upon the life of flamboyant American entrepreneur Harry Gordon Selfridge, who founded the world-renowned store on London’s Oxford Street in 1909, Mr Selfridge tells the story of 'Mile a Minute Harry', a man with a mission to make shopping as thrilling as sex.
    •And & Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway - The only show on TV that says "Don't just watch the ads - win them!" explodes on to our screens with a host of huge scale stunts, hilarious sketches and appearances from some of the biggest global stars.
    •I’m a Celebrity ... Get Me Out Of Here! - Leaving their loved ones and luxuries far behind, a group of celebrity faces will spend up to three weeks taking on the terrors of the Australian jungle, plus a whole load of brand new nasty surprises dreamt up especially for them.
    •Surprise Surprise - Presented by Holly Willoughby, Surprise Surprise will be giving well deserving members of the public the biggest surprise of their lives.
    •The Jonathan Ross Show - Employing his infectious wit and sense of fun, Jonathan chats to celebrity guests and asks the questions to which everyone wants to know the answers.
    •Coronation Street - Coronation Street is the story of the everyday lives of ordinary folk living in a northern town called Weatherfield. The show’s unique blend of heart-warming comedy and powerful drama always remaining at the forefront of its programming since 1960.
    •Emmerdale - Emmerdale is the small village with big drama. Set against the stunningly beautiful backdrop of the Yorkshire Dales Emmerdale has been successfully running for 41 years.
    •Jeremy Kyle - More drama, more family feuds, more confrontations and those all-important DNA tests and lie detector results on The Jeremy Kyle Show.
    •Lorraine - Lorraine Kelly presents a topical mix of entertainment, discussion and showbiz glamour as well as the latest fashion, food and celebrity gossip.
    •This Morning - Celebrity guests, entertainment, advice, competitions and features....and much more on this award winning magazine show.
    •Loose Women - Join the Loose Women panel for daily chat, gossip and celebrity interviews.
    •The Chase – quiz show presented by Bradley Walsh.
    •Prime Suspect – The tense, uncompromising drama starring the Oscar-winning actress Helen Mirren and from the distinguished dramatist and novelist Lynda La Plante, has been critically acclaimed on both sides of the Atlantic and has won a total of 14 international awards including BAFTAs for 'Drama Serial' and 'TV Actress'.
    •Cracker - Set in Manchester, Cracker is a British crime drama series centred on a criminal psychologist Dr Edward "Fitz" Fitzgerald, played by Robbie Coltrane.

All3 Media
    •Midsomer Murders - Inspector Barnaby investigates murder mysteries in Middle England.
    •Foyle’s War - Writer Anthony Horowitz blends real-life war stories with tales of treachery and suspense in this crime drama series.
    •Undeniable - Two-part thriller about a woman who believes she recognises her mother's killer 23 years after the murder took place, though her family and the police have their doubts.
    •Love Your Garden - Alan Titchmarsh travels around the country seeking out some of the loveliest domestic gardens.
    •The Cube - Contestants battle to win a top prize of £250,000. Presented by Philip Scholfield.

DRG
    •Doc Martin - Medical comedy drama series starring Martin Clunes in the title role.

Also according to the site they have a programming deal with HatTrick International.
    UTV Ireland’s agreement with ITV Studios Global Entertainment gives the channel access, from the start of 2015, to programming made by ITV Studios for broadcast on the ITV main channel in the UK, which includes drama, entertainment, soaps, comedy and documentaries, as well as access to ITV Studios’ back catalogue of productions. UTV Ireland has also signed programme deals with All3 Media, DRG and HatTrick International.

The Cush wrote: »
    The deals already done according to the UTVI website

Also according to the site they have a programming deal with HatTrick International.
    I wonder do they have access to the entire ITV Studio catalogue though - it would be very interesting to know if they do.. because if they do they could easily put it up to TV3 at the weekends with some of the stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Mallagio wrote: »

Or on sky for that matter:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Better to announce them all together rather than one before any other. That would just lead to speculation and questions.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I wonder do they have access to the entire ITV Studio catalogue though - it would be very interesting to know if they do.. because if they do they could easily put it up to TV3 at the weekends with some of the stuff.

Their goal, first and foremost, is to be ITV for the Republic of Ireland. Independent scheduling will only come into play during the programming, such as movies, sports, and the likes of X Factor/Britain's Got Talent, for which they don't have the rights. ITV will have lost all live club football at the end of this season which will mean that, RWC and England internationals aside, sport won't be as much of a problem as it previously was.

icdg wrote: »
    Their goal, first and foremost, is to be ITV for the Republic of Ireland. Independent scheduling will only come into play during the programming, such as movies, sports, and the likes of X Factor/Britain's Got Talent, for which they don't have the rights. ITV will have lost all live club football at the end of this season which will mean that, RWC and England internationals aside, sport won't be as much of a problem as it previously was.
    It's these massive gaps in schedule at primetime during the weekend that I ask about the ITV studio collection.. If they have unrestricted access to the 4000 odd programmes then they could easily build up a schedule to at least try match TV3. If you flick through the material you can see many shows including series which could form a very decent channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭lertsnim

If they have unrestricted access to the 4000 odd programmes then they could easily build up a schedule to at least try match TV3. If you flick through the material you can see many shows including series which could form a very decent channel.

A video showing paint drying would match TV3's weekend output. A decent drama would do very well for UTV Ireland.

lertsnim wrote: »
    A video showing paint drying would match TV3's weekend output. A decent drama would do very well for UTV Ireland.
    Xfactor and a few other shows actually do alright for TV3 though .. They have a loyal following and are probably their best viewership of the weekend. If UTV have access to the entire collection then they could build a decent schedule.

Xfactor and a few other shows actually do alright for TV3 though .. They have a loyal following and are probably their best viewership of the weekend. If UTV have access to the entire collection then they could build a decent schedule.

UTV Ireland could always buy in BBC Weekend programming like Strictly, RTÉ tend not to buy theses

• Advertisement

Michael Wilson MD of UTVI speaking at the CEDCultureIE event this morning. Event is supported by the BAI.

https://twitter.com/BAItweets/status/534626281355509762

The Cush wrote: »
    Michael Wilson MD of UTVI speaking at the CEDCultureIE event this morning. Event is supported by the BAI.

https://twitter.com/BAItweets/status/534626281355509762
    Anything come out of this??

Anything come out of this??

Haven't seen any reports on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Studio tests happening at UTV Ireland. Take a look at this pic.

https://twitter.com/UTVIreland/status/535776554509688833

Who's that presenting the weather in one of the screens I wonder :)

Who's that presenting the weather in one of the screens I wonder :)

I don't get it, who is it? Looks like the bloke in the 'look out there's a thief about' poster.

This one I mean!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Just reading bits of the belfast telegraph article
    UTV Ireland will not be available to those in Northern Ireland. It will be carried on Sky in Ireland, but not Sky Northern Ireland.

www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/life/broadcasting-chiefs-tuned-in-for-160m-switchon-of-new-channel-30745865.html

So what about those using a freesat branded box, or a generic sat receiver?

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Just reading bits of the belfast telegraph article

www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/life/broadcasting-chiefs-tuned-in-for-160m-switchon-of-new-channel-30745865.html

So what about those using a freesat branded box, or a generic sat receiver?
    Where does it read your quote on that article?

• Advertisement

Will it be FTA on Sky or part of the sub like the other Irish channels?

Advertisement