Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did the Simpsons stop being good?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

The the last good episode of the Simpsons was Trash of the Titans where Homer becomes Sanitation Commissioner. That was in 1998.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

The jockeys as elves episode just popped into my head. Shudder.

Whats really annoying is I remember discussing how bad the Simpsons had become before I did the junior cert. I'm pushing 30 now and sh1t episodes are still being churned out.
    Its been bad THAT long. Talk about sh1tting on your own legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Exactly, Homer used to be a well meaning but stupid everyman. Now, and especially in the movie, he's just a gigantic arsehole who's completely unlikeable.

Yeah I think this kind of sums it up. I'm kind of just pulling this out of my arse but it seems like older episodes would feature Homer acting selfish or inconsiderate but then he usually felt bad about it and did something to redeem himself and it got worse once that changed and he started doing things that were just really mean (Co-depenants's Day being a particularly bad case).
    Davidius wrote: »
    It's really not just nostalgia, there is an appreciable difference from the earlier seasons. I was born after the show started airing (I'm 23) and probably started watching around the time most people think the decline began. Most of the older episodes jokes naturally went completely over my head but it seemed to be even then that the older re-run episodes were simpler better and this was when both were essentially fresh to me. I still enjoyed newer episodes but the decline became notable enough that I just stopped actively watching newer episodes when I was about 10/11 or so.

I'm kind of the same as you, I must have been about 7 or 8 when I started really liking the Simpsons (so around 2000 or season 11) but the thing was, most of what I watched was re-runs of older episodes. Sky had new episodes on Sundays for half the year but I often didn't get to see those because my parents were watching something or we were just out of the house so the majority of what I did watch was just weekday evening broadcasts on RTE or Sky1. I never really had any concept of "seasons" and which were good and which were bad until just a few years ago. Also, the Principal and the Pauper never stuck out to me as a problem any of the times I saw it. It was only from Wikipedia I found out that it was a widely despised episode that many thought destroyed the show.
    iDave wrote: »

The main plot was terrible but I still liked the subplot with Lisa that culminated in Bill Clinton appearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,140 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

As boardsies have already pointed out, the decline begins when celebrities appear as themselves and offer nothing.

Gone are the days when a famous actor would actually PLAY a character, a great example being Donald Sutherland as the curator of the Jebediah Springfield museum.

The Simpsons is competing against the memory of itself...and losing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

As boardsies have already pointed out, the decline begins when celebrities appear as themselves and offer nothing.

Gone are the days when a famous actor would actually PLAY a character, a great example being Donald Sutherland as the curator of the Jebediah Springfield museum.

The Simpsons is competing against the memory of itself...and losing.

Although I do agree about celebrities appearing as actual characters (Dustin Hoffman as the teacher was excellent), James Woods appearing as himself was, in my opinion, the best celeb cameo. He was hilarious..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 DB Cooper 23

I remember watching an episode where the main plot consisted of Marge's hair turning grey. When that is the best story line that you can come up with I think it's time to call it a day

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

iDave wrote: »

Whats really annoying is I remember discussing how bad the Simpsons had become before I did the junior cert. I'm pushing 30 now and sh1t episodes are still being churned out.
    Its been bad THAT long. Talk about sh1tting on your own legacy.
    I'm same age as you and you are correct.

The Simpsons has now been shiit longer than it was good.

Really sad.

South Park are doing it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I'm same age as you and you are correct.

The Simpsons has now been shiit longer than it was good.

Really sad.

South Park are doing it too.
    The current season is pretty fantastic I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

I remember the first time I watched an episode of the simpsons and thought it was crap.

It was the episode where they find smithers' fathers remains in a quarry. Thats where I noticed they had lost it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

For shows that run for a few years - I think you can talk about a bad season (like Dexter - Julia Styles or whatever her name is - that was a bad season).

With shows that run for decades though, I think it's a lot less about how good or bad the show is and a lot more about when you discovered it and how you developed. Most of my friends loved the early seasons because that's when they started watching it. Now, they've got wives, houses, jobs and children....and they don't think the cartoon is as good as it used to be.

I didn't watch the Simpsons at all growing up. I binge watched them in college, and I thought the early seasons were crap. I haven't watched the last 2-3 seasons, but I honestly didn't see any decline in quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

UCDVet wrote: »
    I didn't watch the Simpsons at all growing up. I binge watched them in college, and I thought the early seasons were crap. I haven't watched the last 2-3 seasons, but I honestly didn't see any decline in quality.

There's your problem,you binge watched them.There's tons of gags and details that you probably missed the first time around in the early seasons (2-9). The newer seasons don't have those subtleties in the writing that warrants a second viewing. There's a reason the early seasons are regarded as classics in television.

Gone are the days when a famous actor would actually PLAY a character, a great example being Donald Sutherland as the curator of the Jebediah Springfield museum..

But that's still not an iron clad rule. Celebrities still played themselves in classic episodes (James Woods, as someone pointed out, the parade of quick celebrities in the Gabbo episode, all 3 living Beatles getting token appearances, Aerosmith, Sting, Leonard Nimoy and countless others) and they usually weren't that well developed or important to the plot but they didn't make it bad.

At the same time, newer ones have had celebrities in to play actual characters who matter to the plot (like Ricky Gervais, Stephen Colbert or Jeremy Irons) and they still turn out rubbish so it's very hard to blame the celebrity appearances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

It's impossible to pick an exact moment, although many have tried- the episodes with Armin Tanzarian or Jay Leno are two of the ones people have pointed to. I think it was a slippery slope, they gradually became less consistently funny until they just weren't funny at all.

Those episodes are great.

Those episodes are great.

I can't see how someone would think the Jay Leno episode was bad. I mean the cameo was pretty lazy, sure, but the episode itself with Krusty becoming a sort of Carlin/Hicks type comedian was brilliant. Not to mention that legendary ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I think part of the problem is that the celebrity guests are portrayed in a higly flattering light now, whereas in older episodes they were often self-deprecating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Seasons 1 to 13 were fantastic. All the great quotes and episodes were from that period, particularly the Conan O'Brien years. Since then its relied way too much on celebrities.

This. After Conan o Brien left,the show began to lose direction. Anything made from the late 90s onwards is generally unwatchable drivel.That said,i still get my fix of the Simpsons daily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

This. After Conan o Brien left,the show began to lose direction. Anything made from the late 90s onwards is generally unwatchable drivel.That said,i still get my fix of the Simpsons daily.

Conan O'Brien wrote about 3 or 4 episodes of the show (admittedly some brilliant episodes) and was on the writing staff for a couple of years.He wasn't there when the show started and gained it's mass following.Him leaving had nothing to do with the show declining he left in 1993 and the show was top class for another 5 years after he left.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Yeah, people often overstate his importance to the shows glory days. He was a great contributor to it but they did fine without him for quite some time.

Yeah, people often overstate his importance to the shows glory days. He was a great contributor to it but they did fine without him for quite some time.

I don't really know why people think he was so important. Not that he wasn't a great writer, but he was one amongst many at the time and he certainly wasn't the one guy carrying or leading the team. I can only imagine people single him out because he's by far the most famous person to work on the show but even then, he's only the most famous because of what he did after, he wasn't a bigshot when he was on the writing team.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭ROAAAR

Friends is a another show that got absolutely terrible. Only the very early episodes do I find it entertaining. It's hard to see why people hold it in such high regard really. It's not the greatest writing to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

ROAAAR wrote: »
    Friends is a another show that got absolutely terrible. Only the very early episodes do I find it entertaining. It's hard to see why people hold it in such high regard really. It's not the greatest writing to be fair.

After the monkey left is when friends got ****.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 Bhopkov

ROAAAR wrote: »

Friends got sh1t in series 5. The first 4 series are brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

In the mid to late 90s not sure what season that would be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 Bhopkov

New episode on now. Decided to give it a chance. It's awful so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Bhopkov wrote: »
    New episode on now. Decided to give it a chance. It's awful so far.

Ah it wasn't that bad. Better than episode 1 anyway.

"Well I had a mimosa for brunch two and a half years ago".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

When did it all go wrong?

When the pope said they were Catholic. They just seemed to get lazy after that. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Sure Conan obrien has stated himself his input was minimal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

GerB40 wrote: »
    Only Fool's and Horses doesn't count because it's the greatest sitcom of all time.

No shut up a second and stop typing while I type. Only Fools & Horses was good for the first few seasons but when they got into the Yuppie stuff and Rodney with Cassandra it took a huge nose dive in quality and the dead horse was kicked repeatedly for another decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

After the monkey left is when friends got ****.

I think it went shiit after Chandler quit smoking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I haven't watched every episode of The Simpsons but I used to enjoy it years ago. I would have to agree it's terrible now. I think the big difference is there used to be stories which covered the entire episode, and developed the wider themes that built a somewhat believable world. When I watch it now it's mostly one liner gags and poor writing, and there isn't much story to pull you in.

Advertisement