Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did the Simpsons stop being good?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

The Marge gets a job episode was on last night, must be one of the greatest.

Homer: Marge the key is to blame the guy who doesn't speak english, oh Tibor how many times have you saved my ass

Some time later...

Smithers: (Showing Marge her new office) And this is your office.
    That idiot Tibor lost the key but you canjimmy it open with a credit card.

Classic Tibor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

P.Walnuts wrote: »

Homer: Marge the key is to blame the guy who doesn't speak english, oh Tibor how many times have you saved my ass

Some time later...

Classic Tibor

Homer: I never apologise Lisa, I'm sorry but that's just the way I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭deadybai

If anyone has seen That '90s Show you will never forgive the writers of The Simpsons again. For me the show ended at season 12. Every thing after that I consider a different show that just happens to have the same name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

So, here's a test and something I'd like to explore. Can anyone, who is familiar with the newer episodes, list the Top 5 post Season 10 (shall we say?) episodes that come close to capturing the spirit and humour of the first 7 / 8 seasons.

I read on that Zombie Simpsons page that two highly rated "newer" ones are Trilogy of Error and Eternal Moonshine of the Spotless Mind. Any other recommendations, especially from more recent years? I'll go and watch them and tell you what I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Homer with the camera in his hat, and Apu asks him if there is a bee in it. Homer freaks out and smashes it on the ground and runs away.

A another similar incident was when Marge became addicted to gambling and was out of the house for along time. Lisa comes running into Homer's bedroom and ask about the Boogeyman. Homer freaks out again and goes running into Bart and says "I think there maybe a boogeyman or boogeymen in the house. Then Marge finally comes home to find Homer(with a shotgun), Lisa and Bart hiding behind a turned over couch.
    He'd already shot the door a couple of times :P

Thargor wrote: »
    He'd already shot the door a couple of times :P

Gamblor!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

"We don't have bums in our town, Marge, and if we did they wouldn't rush, they'd be allowed to go at their own pace."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

When did this turn into a quotes thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Saipanne wrote: »

Post #19.

Now quit yer bellyaching or we'll start quoting Father Ted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Saipanne wrote: »

I'd say around two thirds into the thread. Then again people can use statistics to prove anything. Fourteen percent of people know that...

There's already a quotes thread somewhere (its called Dental Plan I think). I guess the Simpsons is so quotable, and people do have their own favourites, that given an opportunity to quote something, they will.

For the record, my favourite episodes are:

Last Exit To Springfield
    Deep Space Homer
    Homie The Clown
    Bart of Darkness
    Homer The Heretic
    Mr Plow
    Homer Badman
    Homer's Barbershop Quartet

Honourable mentions to Bart's Comet, Itchy & Scratchy Land, El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer, Raging Abe Simpson and His Grumbling Grandson in "The Curse of the Flying Hellfish", Radioactive Man, and Homer the Smithers.

Actually I could go on and on. Just get a list of Seasons 4 - 7 and you've got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

When Homer became an astronaut.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

padd b1975 wrote: »
    When Homer became an astronaut.

The Zombie Simpsons page mentioned previously suggested that the Frank Grimes episode, Homer's Enemy, was a deliberate flag from the writers that the show had gone full circle, that the consensus was that the show would be winding down and would finish soo thereafter.

This is indicated during the scene in the house which goes,

HOMER
    Yes, that's me alright. And the guy standing next to me is President Gerald Ford. (pointing to the other photos) And this is when I was on tour with the Smashing Pumpkins. Oh! And here's a picture of me in outer space.

GRIMES
    You? Went into outer space? You?

HOMER
    Sure. You've never been? Would you like to see my Grammy award? (holds it up)

Essentially, where do we, the writers, go from here?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

For anyone who would like a daily quote:
    https://www.facebook.com/SimpsonsQuotesThatNobodyGetsAnymore

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

It's all summed up here: http://deadhomersociety.com/zombiesimpsons/
    The main site has a quote of the day as well which is good. They also pick apart the new episodes.

The "It's been getting better" mantra has been around for a good 6 or 7 years and still isn't true. It's a shallow, humourless, out-of-touch show now.
    Thanks for the link. Great read for anyone interested in the demise of (perhaps) the greatest show ever on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

I was trying to figure out the worst ever Simpsons moment and I suddenly realised that nothing could sink below the Ke$ha intro they once had.

I'll go one step worse and wager the Harlem Shake couch gag. The moment that truely shows the creators have no shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

So, here's a test and something I'd like to explore. Can anyone, who is familiar with the newer episodes, list the Top 5 post Season 10 (shall we say?) episodes that come close to capturing the spirit and humour of the first 7 / 8 seasons.

I read on that Zombie Simpsons page that two highly rated "newer" ones are Trilogy of Error and Eternal Moonshine of the Spotless Mind. Any other recommendations, especially from more recent years? I'll go and watch them and tell you what I think.

I had a quick look and couldnt find anything I could enjoy beyond season 13, here are some of the most watchable episodes of season 11 and 12 IMO.

Treehouse of horror X season 11 (Marge runs down flanders, comic book guy abducts xena, Homers ineptitude spreads the Y2k Bug.)

Take my wife, sleaze season 11 (Hells satans biker gang abducts marge)

treehouse of horror XI season 12 (Homer eats broccoli and dies, bart and lisa hansel and gretel, snorkie the dolphin)

The computer wore menace shoes season 12 (Homer makes his own website as Mr. X and gets abducted for predicting a flu shot conspiracy)

Simpsons tall tales season 12 (Hobo tells rehashed american stories while on trainride) Tradin' stories for sponge baths haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Up until 1997 it was untouchable. You literally knew the episode you were about to watch was going to be quality TV. Can't really think of another show that delivered as consistently as The Simpsons did in it's pomp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

P.Walnuts wrote: »

Some time later...

Classic Tibor

I'm used to seeing people promoted ahead of me. Friends, co-workers, Tibor... I never thought it'd be my own wife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

Homer the clown,
    Don' mess around',
    even though da man,
    try to keep him down,
    but one day Homer will,
    break all his chain,
    but until that day, Homer don' play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

It seems very hard to pin down the change because it was so gradual. I mean people point to things like lazy celebrity appearances and those definitely became more obvious as time went on where it was either just "oh hi celebrity, how are you? Okay bye" or, even worse, having a celebrity on as themselves and just making a whole episode about how great they are, but even then there were elements of those in the classics.

I think one of the bigger problems was the move toward wacky adventures and current pop-culture references. The fact that the show was so grounded is what made it so funny at first, especially because people don't expect that in a cartoon but the family become a lot less relatable as an average middle class dysfunctional household when they've had more exceptional lives than anyone in existence. When you drag it on too long, you end up with Homer having been exceptionally well-travelled, having gone to the moon space, made a Hollywood movie, been in two massively successful bands, became mayor of half the town, waste commissioner of the whole town, neighbour of two presidents, successful horse trainer etc. There's just too much. The family became celebrities in their own continuity and then it just became focused on spectacle rather than mundane but vaguely realistic. They've hung lampshades on this plenty of times but even that only goes so far and they've gone way too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

valoren wrote: »
    The Zombie Simpsons page mentioned previously suggested that the Frank Grimes episode, Homer's Enemy, was a deliberate flag from the writers that the show had gone full circle, that the consensus was that the show would be winding down and would finish soo thereafter.

This is indicated during the scene in the house which goes,

HOMER
    Yes, that's me alright. And the guy standing next to me is President Gerald Ford. (pointing to the other photos) And this is when I was on tour with the Smashing Pumpkins. Oh! And here's a picture of me in outer space.

GRIMES
    You? Went into outer space? You?

HOMER
    Sure. You've never been? Would you like to see my Grammy award? (holds it up)

Essentially, where do we, the writers, go from here?
    The Grimes episode is a favourite of mine, very dark undertones.

Another full circle pointer was the episode where Homer is sitting in bed listing out all the careers he's had.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Wow i used to love the Simpsons , but at some point around 7/8 years ago I suddenly stopped watching it .

I didn't realise it was still going!!

Maybe subconsciously I stopped watching because I didn't like it but I don't remember doing that .

I'm more into my Apple TV these days watching netflix .

It was the emergence of "jerkass Homer". If Homer isn't good in the show, then it's screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

It was the emergence of "jerkass Homer". If Homer isn't good in the show, then it's screwed.

Exactly, Homer used to be a well meaning but stupid everyman. Now, and especially in the movie, he's just a gigantic arsehole who's completely unlikeable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

I still enjoy watching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

After the one they went to Japan in, it was all downhill from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Really think this is just a case of nostalgia goggles, or simply different generations having conflicting views. I'm 17, I've been a massive fan of The Simpsons for as long as I can remember. I'm damn near sure I've watched every episode, probably multiple times at this point. But personally, I enjoy the newer episodes and I think The Simpsons as good as it's ever been. It's probably a bit "cleaner" and "politically correct" than it used to be, but The Simpsons was hardly an "edgy" show to begin with, so the small bit of controversial comedy that would occasionally show up is hardly something to miss. Although, it has been running for something like 24/25 seasons, without changing that much, any show that runs for that long is bound to become boring to all but the absolute biggest fans. However, it still has a great fanbase, I don't see why The Simpsons should be cancelled, not in the foreseeable future anyway.
    It's really not just nostalgia, there is an appreciable difference from the earlier seasons. I was born after the show started airing (I'm 23) and probably started watching around the time most people think the decline began. Most of the older episodes jokes naturally went completely over my head but it seemed to be that even then the older re-run episodes were simply better and this was when both were essentially fresh to me. I still enjoyed newer episodes but the decline became notable enough that I just stopped actively watching newer episodes when I was about 10/11 or so.

As I got older I found the older episodes grew even funnier, but most stuff after season 9 tends to fall a bit flat. The older episodes just do a lot of things better. There's a higher density of laughs, the voice direction is better and the writing is a lot cleverer. Considering it in the context of the time it was created I think it's fair to say it was quite "edgy", it created some controversy back in its day. The Simpsons Seasons 4-7 is some of the best television ever created, and that's without even considering the historical context in which it was created. It has the perfect combination of writing, voice direction, satire/wit and accessibility. One thing that surprised was seeing what I thought was a newer episode because it seemed relatively decent compared to recent episodes I'd seen. Turned out it was a season 9 episode I'd never seen before.

The show has definitely changed. Without making this too long, it's clear that the Simpsons themselves are a relic of a bygone era. They are a 90s era American TV family with simple/crude character designs and feel very out of place in a modern setting beside new characters with more detailed designs. This probably made their evolution into caricatures inevitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Huge Simpsons fan, but I don't keep up to date with the newest episodes at all.

Having celebs play themselves as nothing more than a "look it's simon cowell" was the start of the decline. As someone earlier pointed out celebs playing characters works out better, Fat Tony, Herb Simpson, Hank Scorpia etc.

Saying that though George Harrison and Mel Brooks appearances worked well

"That Young Frankenstein scared the hell out of me".

The newer episodes are near hit and miss, nothing standout, very few quotable episodes.

Advertisement