Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did the Simpsons stop being good?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

I seem to recall reading something about the producers wanting to break Lassie's record as the longest running series in TV history. Hopefully they'll put it out of its misery after that happens.

• Site Banned Posts: 2 Skid Marks

I still enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    I seem to recall reading something about the producers wanting to break Lassie's record as the longest running series in TV history. Hopefully they'll put it out of its misery after that happens.

Just like they did to Lassie.

The one that mauled Timmy is now in doggy hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

With me i will watch and i do love The Simpson's from season's 1-8 and with family guy 1-3

after those seasons they just stopped being funny,

i was talking to a bunch of college students 10 years younger than me, and they were insisting that they found seasons after season 8 "very funny" and "the best ever" they insisted some of the episodes that i knew from earlier seasons weren't funny at all, so we figured it is the episodes you grew up with that you will remember as being "the best" or "the funniest ever"

i almost started to believe them (and i was believing my sense of humour had just matured beyond cartoons now i am a grown up) and felt kind of sad about it, until recently one of the channels was showing the first two season's of Family guy again and once again i was literally laughing out loud at the gags, and the jokes,

The character's just had some kind of substance to them (e.g. stewie trying to kill Lois, or the man in the white coat episode) after season 3 i felt they lost the best part's of the character of Stewie (and Peter too, they made him creepy and pervy) they were endearing and then instead just made them into assholes. the exact same way The Simpsons lost the whole Lisa tries to be different from her family but ultimately ends up just like them, or Homer, instead of being a lovable goofball, ends up a character you'd like to hit in the head with a golf ball!

my daughter (5) now is watching the old seasons (1-8) of The Simpson's on dvd and she genuinely bursts out laughing at them, she turned around to us the other day and said "i didn't know The Simpson's was supposed to be funny" while she will watch the newer episodes (after we vet them because the old ones were much better at making the "adult" content go over their heads, where the new episodes have it more "in your face") she much prefers the older episodes so it really mustn't be an age thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭icarus86

Even Matt Groening has wanted the show cancelled for ages

http://dailycurrant.com/2013/09/29/simpsons-creator-thinks-show-should-end/[/QUOTE]

The daily currant is one of those satire newspaper websites, hardly a great source :) In saying that though, the show is long past its sell by date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

icarus86 wrote: »
    Even Matt Groening has wanted the show cancelled for ages

http://dailycurrant.com/2013/09/29/simpsons-creator-thinks-show-should-end/

The daily currant is one of those satire newspaper websites, hardly a great source :) In saying that though, the show is long past its sell by date.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Haha, I wouldn't be surprised if Groening did feel like this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭icarus86

Oh I agree. Pretty much every story has been done for them at this stage so even the writers must struggle to come up with quality stuff, knowing it will probably be ridiculed and compared to earlier stuff.

Sky 1 now. Absolute classic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Look at the writers back in the golden age (pre-1998). Some of these guys were actually geniuses (genii?), and if not that then really, really, really above averagely intelligent.

The writers that came after them? Not so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Right after Neddy lost his sh/t at Homer and told him to "Stop it! Breath through your damn mouth!!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Probably around the time when Maude Flanders was killed. The first eight or nine seasons are the best. The worst episode of the newer episodes is definitely the one where Homer starts a band called Sadgasm. It completely ruins the back story of how Homer met Marge. I would be hard pressed to quote anything from a Simpson's episode post 2000 I think.

I'm generally a pre-1998 purist.

However, I will concede that Season 11's 'Behind The Laughter' is fúcking hilarious. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Milk_Tray

If i see that new Intro it goes off straight away and the simpsons was my fav show season 1-8, amazing! after that not so much, and for the last 8-10 years...forget about it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    However, I will concede that Season 11's 'Behind The Laughter' is fúcking hilarious. :D

It is a great episode alright and would have made a fitting finale for the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Earthhorse wrote: »
    It is a great episode alright and would have made a fitting finale for the show.

Homer even says at the end "This will be the last season right?".. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Before a lot of boards posters were probaby born at this stage. I mean **** it. It had a unbelievable few years and then they just beat it to death.

Lol Was just thinking how weird it is that there's people out there who are nearly adults, and the Simpsons has been running for their entire lives.

And I was like "jaysus, fcking freaky kids..." then I remembered my GF was born in 91 and from what I recall Simpsons started in 87 >.<

Earthhorse wrote: »

Yeah, it would have actually! Never thought of that.

Advertisement