Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexy street harassment

Options
1373839404143»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

gozunda wrote: »
    * I presume you mean 'include'?

I note you have mentioned this scenario of some (?) US college campuses adopting perceived anti men campus wide regulations previously. However I believe it is ambiguous to place these regulations as the same standard as statutory law. College campuses in the US and students unions here are enabled by governance to have their relevant student bodies vote on their own regulations. Such regulations do not negate state or national law.

As a polar opposite to the fairly extreme example given above we could take the example of Sharia law given by another poster

Such wrongs does not make dismissing street harassment or sexual violence right. The fact that such extremes exist does not negate that sexual violence against women is a relatively common phenomenon. Should we dismiss the voiced concerns of all woman concerning harassment because such extremes of reaction exist in other jurisdictions and other areas? I don't think so.

No one is saying that street harassment is only happening to woman but many woman do experience very real fear and intimidation when confronted by random street harassment. I will go with both with what women posters have posted here and from research in this area. Btw I am excluding harassment that occur in less likely threatening environments such as pubs and clubs where a concerned individual is more able to seek help in similar circumstances.

Tbh I think it is not useful to repeatedly go on about 'feminists' as if they are the perpetrators of such behaviour. Yes they are deeply worrying but so for example is Sharia law in my opinion. These extremes reactions should help enlighten more positive thinking about this issue and not cloud it further by polarising the issue at hand.

Thanks for reading my post for a start. Let me explain how this works. Federal funding is cut to colleges which do not adopt this corruption of due process on college campuses. Anywhere else you would expect law enforcement to deal with rape accusations and criminal cases....not university tribunals with much weaker standards of 'proof' . Colleges need their funding to keep the doors open. And now despite cries of ''male privilege'' , most college students in the USA are now Female which of course will skew any student body votes.
    The consequences are extremely severe. The expelled student falsely accused loses his future career and reputation. This has happened. This is is not fiction. And yes feminists are saying exactly that. They are targeting men in particular. Feminists successfully campaigned
    to change the legal definition of rape to exclude raped men and boys.

http://permutationofninjas.org/post/74655593549/e-mail-rainn-on-saturday-march-15-2014

You have minors raped by much older women who gets pregnant and then are being forced to pay child support. You couldnt make this up. Men have been held at gunpoint by strange women who force them to have sex yet they cant press for rape charges thanks to feminist campaigners.

Now as to how helpful it is to mention feminists [I AM AN EGALITARIAN, everything I write is from an egalitarian point of view. I strongly believe in equality under the law for everyone regardless of race, color, religion, gender etc and I also believe this will never happen unless we identify this problem with feminism]... the problem here is that it is feminism which campaigned for this to happen. Not one feminist organization campaigned against it on the basis of 'whoa these are our sons, our husbands, our fathers' etc... not one. And American politics is so corrupt they cant see past the power of the lobby group. I see disturbing parallels here in Ireland. We too are cursed with incompetent corrupt politicians.

The DOE policy in practice: Caleb Warner was accused of rape and expelled from the University of North Dakota, then his accuser was charged with filing a false report. He remains expelled from his university

http://america.aljazeera.com/watch/shows/america-tonight/america-tonight-blog/2013/10/31/for-the-falsely-accusedmovingonfromrapistbrandingachallenge.html

This is just the first link which appeared in Google search.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

But people do have a right to approach someone to say hello especially when in a social setting like a bar. As outlined you have a right to respond any way you want to but their is a courteous manner of doing this, and one that is not courteous.

Context is everything though in any given situation, and of course I'm initially courteous to anyone who approaches me in a bar (because I expect to be approached, I'm aware already of the likelihood that it's going to happen, so I'm comfortable with it), but it's when I perceive their motivations to be MORE than just an innocent chat or whatever that I can become uncomfortable. I already said it in a previous thread that I move off rather than get into it with them why I'm uncomfortable, or sometimes I'll tell them I'm not interested, and that's not being rude, but some posters here are keen to point out that I owe the other person engagement simply because they came over to me. I don't, I don't think anyone does. The responsibility is all on THAT person to guage whether I'm open to their approach or not.

Just because you have the right to do it doesn't make it the right thing to do- if you respond in a negative tone or ignore someone who says hello to you, that is rude by todays standards.

Context is important there I think. Otherwise you're leaving the way open for it to be argued that nobody has the right to choose how they respond to a stranger who imposes upon them. Just because someone thinks they're being polite, it doesn't automatically follow that I'll think the same way of them as they think of themselves. That's the sort of thinking that excuses the "I'm paying them a compliment, they should be grateful" mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

The frequency of sexual assault, sexual harassment domestic violence etc is significant for one important reason.<snipped for brevity - the post is still there to be read>.
    None of what you say bears directly on my point: that every instance of harassment is wrong.

I'm not trying to defend or justify extremist feminists. Why would I? I'm not an extremist. You can't use the arguments or actions of extremists as being a valid basis on which to oppose temperate people.

None of what you say bears directly on my point: that every instance of harassment is wrong.

I'm not trying to defend or justify extremist feminists. Why would I? I'm not an extremist. You can't use the arguments or actions of extremists as being a valid basis on which to oppose temperate people.

I wish to God this was extremists but one seriously has to ask as an Egalitarian.

How is this all extremists when it has become enshrined in mainstream legislation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Thanks for reading my post for a start. Let me explain how this works. Federal funding is cut to colleges which do not adopt this corruption of due process on college campuses. Anywhere else you would expect law enforcement to deal with rape accusations and criminal cases....not university tribunals with much weaker standards of 'proof' . Colleges need their funding to keep the doors open. And now despite cries of ''male privilege'' , most college students in the USA are now Female which of course will skew any student body votes.
    The consequences are extremely severe. The expelled student falsely accused loses his future career and reputation. This has happened. This is is not fiction. And yes feminists are saying exactly that. They are targeting men in particular. Feminists successfully campaigned
    to change the legal definition of rape to exclude raped men and boys.

http://permutationofninjas.org/post/74655593549/e-mail-rainn-on-saturday-march-15-2014

You have minors raped by much older women who gets pregnant and then are being forced to pay child support. You couldnt make this up. Men have been held at gunpoint by strange women who force them to have sex yet they cant press for rape charges thanks to feminist campaigners.

Now as to how helpful it is to mention feminists [I AM AN EGALITARIAN, everything I write is from an egalitarian point of view. I strongly believe in equality under the law for everyone regardless of race, color, religion, gender etc and I also believe this will never happen unless we identify this problem with feminism]... the problem here is that it is feminism which campaigned for this to happen. Not one feminist organization campaigned against it on the basis of 'whoa these are our sons, our husbands, our fathers' etc... not one. And American politics is so corrupt they cant see past the power of the lobby group. I see disturbing parallels here in Ireland. We too are cursed with incompetent corrupt politicians.

The DOE policy in practice: Caleb Warner was accused of rape and expelled from the University of North Dakota, then his accuser was charged with filing a false report. He remains expelled from his university

http://america.aljazeera.com/watch/shows/america-tonight/america-tonight-blog/2013/10/31/for-the-falsely-accusedmovingonfromrapistbrandingachallenge.html

This is just the first link which appeared in Google search.

Btw where is it that you say that Feminists have successfully campaigned
    to change the legal definition of rape to exclude raped men and boys? Edit. - saw the reference - thanks. How do you think that compares with the definition of rape here btw?

Ok for a moment let us accept that feminists are running rampant through Us college campuses. And that this is a bad thing for men's rights.

Doing so we also have to accept that Sharia law and it's negation of women's rights is an equally bad thing.

On one hand we have extreme feminists and the other extreme Sharia law. Both which have have had negative consequences - one in the US - the other the Middle East - one which effects mainly men - the other which effects mainly women. In both situations we have a basic denigration of rights. How does this effect us here? I believe we should use such information to develop an approach in this country that does not deny any one their basic rights but does provide for a deterent for all those who would choose to deliberately harass others. Again I would identify the serious types of harassment and the provision of some basis where repeat perpetrators can be identified and dealt with. How? I don't really know. I am going through various information available atm but there appears to many grey areas tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

They don't generally lead to any actual physical harm?

Well that's hardly reassuring, is it?

Again, hardly reassuring, and you can't say that for a fact unless you can read people's minds, and since nobody can read other people's minds, they don't know exactly the motivations behind another person's behaviour, and so they can only judge based on their experiences, and if their experiences with strangers cat-calling them, following them, etc have been negative, then it's understandable why they might form certain conclusions.

That's not being over-dramatic, that's just being wary of their personal safety based on their experiences. I've been mugged and assaulted on the street in the past while I was waiting for the bus one morning. The last question I asked the cab driver dropping me off was "Is it safe around here?", "You'll be grand" he said. Turned out he was wrong and I should have trusted my own judgement.

Just because something is unlikely to happen, doesn't mean anyone should ever be complacent about their personal safety. After the incident I was holed up in my apartment for a week, afraid to go out in public. I still get unnerved when strangers approach me on the street. It's instinct, I have to think to try to overcome that instinct, it's not something I can easily laugh off as "but sure I know generally speaking a stranger isn't going to attack me". Those sort of statements offer no reassurance at all to a person who has been in that situation, and that IS a fact.

Like it or not, you are in the minority percentage-wise relating to interacting with a stranger versus such interactions leading to a physical attack ....... which also IS fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Like it or not, you are in the minority percentage-wise relating to interacting with a stranger versus such interactions leading to a physical attack ....... which also IS fact.

I acknowledge that of course I'm in a minority percentage, but that fact is rather difficult for me to ignore or play down simply because in your opinion it generally doesn't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

I acknowledge that of course I'm in a minority percentage, but that fact is rather difficult for me to ignore or play down simply because in your opinion it generally doesn't happen.

I've been the victim of crime myself and it affected me deeply at the time but if I found it was still affecting my normal judgement after a period of time I would seek counselling as it's not a healthy way to live ..........

gozunda wrote: »
    On one hand we have extreme feminists and the other extreme Sharia law. Both which have have had negative consequences - one in the US - the other the Middle East - one which effects mainly men - the other which effects mainly women. In both situations we have a basic denigration of rights. How does this effect us here? I believe we should use such information to develop an approach in this country that does not deny any one their basic rights but does provide for a deterent for all those who would choose to deliberately harass others. Again I would identify the serious types of harassment and the provision of some basis where repeat perpetrators can be identified and dealt with. How? I don't really know. I am going through various information available atm but there appears to many grey areas tbh.

I support freedom of religion but there can only be one law in a sovereign country and thats not Sharia Law. The only hope is if common sense triumphs. Common sense = egalitarianism. The definition of Egalitarianism can never be twisted.
    I will live my life as an egalitarian and call out nonsense when I see it.

America is a different country however ideas which get a foothold there usually end up being imported here and in the UK. You have Feminists here in Ireland preaching about how they wouldnt have a vote without feminism ... eh.... in reality after hundreds of years of disenfranchisement all Irish citizens regardless of gender got the right to vote in this Republic at the same time when the Republic was established. They swallow the dogma but they don't criticize it.
    I want to see feminists calling out nonsense when they see it. They dont' . If a man says women should wear burkas .. are intellectually inferior etc I will call them out as morons. Women dont tend to do the same when feminists turn the whole of feminism which was justified in the 50s,60s and 70s into a rad fem nightmare first world problem joke it is today. If women did call out nonsense they wouldn't sit back while American campuses become a no go area for the civil rights of young men.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... I want to see feminists calling out nonsense when they see it. They dont' ....
    That's a form of whataboutery. In any area, if an activist is trying to advance a position, you don't have a right to demand that he or she drop the business and go off and deal with something else just because you decide it should be promoted to the top of the agenda.

• Advertisement

That's a form of whataboutery. In any area, if an activist is trying to advance a position, you don't have a right to demand that he or she drop the business and go off and deal with something else just because you decide it should be promoted to the top of the agenda.

Not at all. The clue to whataboutery is in the name '' what about something'' . I did not speculate 'what about' anything but instead referred to what actually is.

You can be a member of any club or society and have a great time but lets say .... purely for an example ...suddenly your new club or society friends say ''hey we are all going down to the city tonight to beat on some gays'' , what are you going to do ? You are going to probably going to call them out on this and cancel your membership. And with no hesitation about it. You are probably going to demand that they check their membership policies too which is what many football clubs have had to do when developing policies against racism , sexism etc. Many feminists claim that the definition of feminism is egalitarianism. The 'yesmeansyes' campus law which removes civil rights from men and boys among other things sets the record straight on this. The law is mainstream - they cant blame this on extremists. If feminists cared about what mainstream feminism stands for they would have opposed this. They didnt.They are responsible for their own reputation. Biased Videos like in the OP, real first world problems seem to be what feminism is all about these days. Meanwhile real egalitarian women are being stoned to death elsewhere. I will use the word 'Egalitarian' to describe what I stand for because with a good conscience I cannot use feminism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Context is everything though in any given situation, and of course I'm initially courteous to anyone who approaches me in a bar (because I expect to be approached, I'm aware already of the likelihood that it's going to happen, so I'm comfortable with it), but it's when I perceive their motivations to be MORE than just an innocent chat or whatever that I can become uncomfortable. I already said it in a previous thread that I move off rather than get into it with them why I'm uncomfortable, or sometimes I'll tell them I'm not interested, and that's not being rude, but some posters here are keen to point out that I owe the other person engagement simply because they came over to me. I don't, I don't think anyone does. The responsibility is all on THAT person to guage whether I'm open to their approach or not.

Context is important there I think. Otherwise you're leaving the way open for it to be argued that nobody has the right to choose how they respond to a stranger who imposes upon them. Just because someone thinks they're being polite, it doesn't automatically follow that I'll think the same way of them as they think of themselves. That's the sort of thinking that excuses the "I'm paying them a compliment, they should be grateful" mentality.

But I did contextualise it. Mugging at bus stop= not innocent social interaction. Approached at a bar in an overtly social situation= innocent social interaction. It seems we're saying the same thing but I'm listening and you're not.

Tbh I'd hate to be the shop assistant that approaches you though, from your depictions of situations here I really think your attitude might leave a lot to be desired. Did it ever occur to you that people might not be good at conveying or reading body language? Or that you're not an expert either?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

MOD

Thread is just going in circles at this stage

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement