Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New low for the Gardai? Video claims Woman refused to leave estate with sick child

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Jezz, we already know this. You are talking about protesters, while I was talking about the freedom of passage of a non-protestor with a sick child trying to leave the area to seek medical attention. How many times do I have to explain this.

This has been completely blown out of proportion.

The roadway was full of protesters. The gardai were presumably trying to clear the road. Allowing a car up the street may have exacerbated the situation.

If the protestors were so concerned for the woman and child then they should clear off out of her estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

No.Just no.

They're organised scumbags pure and simple.

I don't concur.

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    Caught up in the media hype there I see.
    Why does boards.ie allow every thread to be turned into one about about Gerry Adams??

Or "Super Quangos"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

I don't like the idea of folk here calling the protesters scumbags. They are just as pissed-off as the rest of us regarding the mess of IW's implementation.
    But we're all pissed off.

It's just that some of us find more constructive ways of expressing our frustration - be that discussions online, or contacting our political representatives, or even by attending a public rally. Whatever.

What we do not do is harass and intimidate honest workers, who are not responsible for this royal mess. And we do not distract Gardaí from getting on with their work either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Personally if I had a sick child I wouldn't stop for any person who stood blocking the road on purpose.

Gardai relations must be at an all time low.
    Delighted to see from the reactions on this thread that in fact sympathy is with the Guards in this one - so relations are doing ok actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

Wrong. If there is an emergency, and a parent needs to get to a hospital, then the gaurds will allow access out. End of.

Yes I'm sure they would if possible I should have put that in I'm just going apocalypse the hole road is blocked for some reson is what I mean I agree with you tho :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

Or "Super Quangos"

Hardly.
    That's normally on a thread about a super quango.
    See, that's how it works....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Can we just leave this video out of the question at the moment.

As someone said FG and LAB are putting AGS in a very uncomfortable position. AGS police by consent and use community policing as the way the police. What you see in these videos, is mainly not policing by consent and in no way engaging with the community.

The Garda from these areas could be breaking ties with people by what they are doing so I think AGS should really address this issue quick quickly before a video surfaces like the O Connell Street riot.

I as a resident of my estate would not be happy with the Garda presence to begin with and wasted resources (amazing how over-time springs up out of no-where or how we are told Garda numbers are down when 30/40 Garda can show up in an estate) or this restricting of access in and out of estates.

Why is it that the Garda, Local TD's and Protesters have not sat down and tried to work out some solution to the installation of these meters? Rather than continuing the more expensive, forceful and stressful installing of these meters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I can see the usual dunderhead generalisations have begun.
    Tracksuit. ..rabble
    Accent. ...rabble
    Dole scroungers. ..rabble
    Scumbags. ..rabble rabble rabble

Have at it lads. I'm clicking un follow before someone sends out the bat signal to mickydoomsux:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Smidge wrote: »
    So when there are REAL breaches of law and order in these areas, I'm sure we'll see the same garda presence and display of law enforcement?

It took them over a half an hour to respond to this incident on the country's busiest street, so I wouldn't count on that!

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/exclusive-watch-shocking-scenes-as-violent-group-attempt-to-kick-in-shop-door-after-theft-of-kit-kats-30187602.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

To be fair, the Gardai have been put in an impossible position by FG and 'labour'.
    Any anger should be firmly directed at their doors.
    I'd suggest emailing your local FG/'labour' TD's in protest at the super quango and about how they are allowing, indeed causing, community relations between Gardai and people break down.
    DISGUSTING.

I think youll find its the scumbags harassing and not at all peacefully protesting that has the Gardaí in that situation. They wouldn't be there at all otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

TallGlass wrote: »
    AGS police by consent and use community policing as the way the police. What you see in these videos, is mainly not policing by consent
    That's a bit like saying the arrest of criminal-suspects against their consent can undermine policing by consent.

Consent refers to the consent of the community as a whole, i.e. Irish society.

Consent does not refer to the consent of one local mob whose members have too much time on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

It took them over a half an hour to respond to this incident on the country's busiest street, so I wouldn't count on that!

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/exclusive-watch-shocking-scenes-as-violent-group-attempt-to-kick-in-shop-door-after-theft-of-kit-kats-30187602.html

Probably coz they where babysitting these protesters and had to get into the car and drive

I think youll find its the scumbags harassing and not at all peacefully protesting that has the Gardaí in that situation. They wouldn't be there at all otherwise.

Did the protesters call the Gardai? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Why does everyone keep referencing Denis O'Brien in Irish Water discussions?

Clearly I missed something along the way, what has he got to do with it? :confused:

Apparently it was reported that he recently got a contract with Irish Water - I am not sure which one.

Most of the work is being done by Gerry McCluskey (GMC) and Sierra and it is their workers who are being intimidated.

Anyway, as someone else said, time to unfollow this one.
    It's just attracting the usual crew from the other 20 or so threads attacking protesters. Like flies to sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

My agenda? I didn't record the video nor was I there.

I saw the video posted on Facebook, thought it would be worth sharing.

If you want to see it on Facebook look for the page

Call for a revolution

Call for a revolution... oh my sides do split.

sjb25 wrote: »
    Probably coz they where babysitting these protesters and had to get into the car and drive

There are 2 garda stations within a ten minute walk from where that incident happened. Taking over 30 minutes to show up is just laughable and cannot be defended.

No bother to them chasing a doctor through the streets for smoking a joint though :rolleyes:

They can act fast when it suits them to

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Anyway, as someone else said, time to unfollow this one.
    It's just attracting the usual crew from the other 20 or so threads attacking protesters. Like flies to sh1te.

I'm sorry everyone doesn't agree with the one point of view :)

As someone said FG and LAB are putting AGS in a very uncomfortable position. AGS police by consent and use community policing as the way the police. What you see in these videos, is mainly not policing by consent and in no way engaging with the community.

So if the mob is big enough the Gardaí should go away and do what theyre told so said mob can police it themselves?

Can I not consent to being arrested for bank robbery?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Yet another staged video. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

There are 2 garda stations within a ten minute walk from where that incident happened. Taking over 30 minutes to show up is just laughable and cannot be defended.

No bother to them chasing a doctor through the streets for smoking a joint though :rolleyes:

They can act fast when it suits them to

Wouldn't matter if there was a Garda station 10 yards from the incident - it's not the Gardai who are in the station who respond to calls.

Now ask yourself where the Gardai who were out on mobile duty were and what they were doing, and you'll find the answer as to why they took so long to respond. (insert doughnut joke here)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Why does the video stop so suddenly? Is there a stream?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

catallus wrote: »

Hahaaaaa! You'd think, wouldn't you?

I bet there is, but you or I won't be seeing it any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

conorh91 wrote: »
    That's a bit like saying the arrest of criminal-suspects against their consent can undermine policing by consent.

Consent refers to the consent of the community as a whole, i.e. Irish society.

Consent does not refer to the consent of one local mob whose members have too much time on their hands.

Can you just hold up a second there. Why are you referring to all them people as mobsters. I know a few people from work who protested in there communities about the installation of the meters. There far from mobsters. There are a handful of protesters who are there to cause trouble and you can hear the same voices in videos.

Policing by consent, I mean your policing with the consent and help of people in your community. Who will report crimes and help investigations.

You look the other week was there not a hit and run in Kilbarrack and these protests on with 30/40 Garda in an estate. It's these type of stories that are bad for AGS. I like AGS, in fact I have high hopes of joining them, but I won't let that get in the way of my views and that this dose not look good for AGS at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Caught up in the media hype there I see.
    Why does boards.ie allow every thread to be turned into one about about Gerry Adams??

One of your friends brought him into it.

catallus wrote: »

Ah, shur, wouldnt do their cause any good seeing the car drive through, now, would it? Might show them for the time wasting prats they are.

Did the protesters call the Gardai? Really?

Do burglars call the Gardaí? Should they stay away until they do?

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Wouldn't matter if there was a Garda station 10 yards from the incident - it's not the Gardai who are in the station who respond to calls.

Now ask yourself where the Gardai who were out on mobile duty were and what they were doing, and you'll find the answer as to why they took so long to respond. (insert doughnut joke here)

I'd love to know what they were doing that was so important that they couldn't respond in a timely fashion to a group of people kicking a shop door in and threatening the lives of employees on the busies street in the country.

I had a search for news stories from the night it happened and there's no mention of anything serious that occurred.. apart from the one I linked to.

• Advertisement

I as a resident of my estate would not be happy with the Garda presence to begin with and wasted resources (amazing how over-time springs up out of no-where or how we are told Garda numbers are down when 30/40 Garda can show up in an estate) or this restricting of access in and out of estates.

Why is it that the Garda, Local TD's and Protesters have not sat down and tried to work out some solution to the installation of these meters? Rather than continuing the more expensive, forceful and stressful installing of these meters.

Do you honestly think if the protesters were peacefully protesting at a proper distance and not harassing workers and stopping them doing their work the Gardaí would be there at all? Why exactly do you think they are there?

A group of protesters have been in court a couple of times t this stag over their tactics but they dont stop.

If me and a mate stood one t each bumper of your car in the morning and refused to let you go to work, what would you do? Would we be in the right if we told you we don't like your job and we're peacefully protesting?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement