Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Crap on Adams, Mod Warning in OP.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Oh, come on. You're seriously going to try to claim that this thread isn't a frigging cesspool of misogyny?
    Laughable.
    At yet no specific instance can be found and quoted!
    Surreal stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

I'm not a mod of Politics.

As much as I'd love to have seen the blatant misogyny deleted, it would just have given ammunition to those who would cry "censorship!" if they weren't allowed to post hundreds of slut-shaming and victim-blaming posts.

Go and sleep it off will ya.
    WTF is slut-shaming????
    Are you calling Maria Cahill a 'slut'?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    So we all have to adhere to your definition of "victim blaming" and "slut-shaming"...
    I'm happy to adhere to the commonly-used definitions. You know, the ones used by people who aren't desperately trying to make a rape victim look bad.
    Fr. Ned wrote: »
    I'll ask my wife, and I'll ask my sister and mother tomorrow when I show it to them.

I'll wait with bated breath for your completely honest rendition of their opinions. As a matter of interest, are they desperate to make Mairia Cahill look as bad as possible too, or are they neutral in this matter?

As much as I'd love to have seen the blatant misogyny deleted, it would just have given ammunition to those who would cry "censorship!" if they weren't allowed to post hundreds of slut-shaming and victim-blaming posts.
    Since you can't even seem to find it to quote to us it'd be difficult to report I guess.
    Can you tell posts apart then, just not posters?

I'm happy to adhere to the commonly-used definitions. You know, the ones used by people who aren't desperately trying to make a rape victim look bad.
    Cop out.
    So you don't have a definition for your terms other than "anything I want that I can use to make SF and posters here look bad".
    Nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

No, keep it open. Keep the sexist, misogynistic, victim blaming posts. Let women, and progressive men see exactly what they are voting for.

Go and sleep it off will ya.
    WTF is slut-shaming????
    Are you calling Maria Cahill a 'slut'?
    No, they're saying questioning any aspect of Cahill's story is blaming her for the rape.
    Which nobody here has done.
    But if you shout "slut shaming!" a lot apparently people don't bother to engage their brain and just assume you are right. Is that it?

I'll wait with bated breath for your completely honest rendition of their opinions. As a matter of interest, are they desperate to make Mairia Cahill look as bad as possible too, or are they neutral in this matter?
    Let's hope they can follow this thread a bit better than you can at least.

Well my mother and my sister are total FFail supporters and my wife would be a 'labour' voter.
    My wife just believes that something doesn't seem right about the whole thing and I'll get back to you on the other two.

No, they're saying questioning any aspect of Cahill's story is blaming her for the rape.
    Which nobody here has done.
    But if you shout "slut shaming!" a lot apparently people don't bother to engage their brain and just assume you are right. Is that it?

Must be.

• Advertisement

raymon wrote: »
    Dan - really , you are doing SF no favours by appearing here.

Keep it up though
    Do you have a second thing to say here to go with this line?
    SF seem to be doing just fine, despite my sabotage, huh.

MouseTail wrote: »
    No, keep it open. Keep the sexist, misogynistic, victim blaming posts. Let women, and progressive men see exactly what they are voting for.

If, and it's just an 'if', it turns out that this woman was lying all along, what would that make her?
    BTW, I actually do believe that she was raped and I've stated that several times in this thread.

And also let the posts crying out for any single example of this stuff that have been completely ignored stay on the record too please.
    Repeat after me "Slut shamer! Now I don't need to argue the points..."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Like I said, you list them and I'll list the ones from the "other" side of the debate and we'll sit and wonder why you are only capable of seeing one column of them.
    The number of supposed SF voters lost over the last week magically doesn't seem to have had the slightest impact on their opinion polls... almost as if these people were never really going to ever vote SF anyway...

I'm talking about personal insults. Your post questioning my intelligence (which has since disappeared) springs to mind. For the record I will bet you any amount amount money that I have a higher IQ than you and will happily take a test. If your not 140+ don't bother turning up.
    Oh come on FFS.
    I've given you plenty of rational points here tonight and you choose not to engage with them.
    You take the word of Maria Cahill as absolute fact, despite revelations on here that she is a high up member of a group closely associated with dissident republicans whose main aim is to destroy the peace process on this island and who do not recognise either the PSNI, the Gardai or the courts in Ireland.
    Rational?

I have engaged with you on every point and tried to give my honest opinion on every point. I have not shirked from any argument and have really tried to have an honest discussion on the topic. But it has been totally pointless. I mentioned before that I am from a staunch family - and I am. But my grandfather and great uncles would turn in their graves listening to the shít on this thread. I am telling you now for the last time that you guys are doing yourselves no favours with your behaviour on this thread. You have done only damage and no good. I'm out of here, with my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Do you have a second thing to say here to go with this line?
    SF seem to be doing just fine, despite my sabotage, huh.

SF are doing far from fine. They've been disastrous on this - you don't need to dredge through the cesspool of their forum acolytes - which most people will thankfully miss, you just need to have witnessed the performance of Adams. Female voters - never a strong point for SF - are reading this for what it is.

alastair wrote: »
    SF are doing far from fine. They've been disastrous on this - you don't need to dredge through the cesspool of their forum acolytes - which most people will thankfully miss, you just need to have witnessed the performance of Adams. Female voters - never a strong point for SF - are reading this for what it is.
    And yet their popularity in opinion polls hasn't changed at all.
    How are you measuring this "damage"? The myopinionometer?

bajer101 wrote: »

I have engaged with you on every point and tried to give my honest opinion on every point. I have not shirked from any argument and have really tried to have an honest discussion on the topic. But it has been totally pointless. I mentioned before that I am from a staunch family - and I am. But my grandfather and great uncles would turn in their graves listening to the shít on this thread. I am telling you now for the last time that you guys are doing yourselves no favours with your behaviour on this thread. You have done only damage and no good. I'm out of here, with my vote.

An honest discussion is all I wanted too.
    And, I agree, you have engaged in that too.
    I really think there's more to come from Maria Cahill's story but let's be perfectly clear here, I have no time for rapists or child abuser/rapists.
    I would have each and every one of them destroyed like rabid dogs for committing such crimes.
    This country has failed time and time again the victims of these crimes and I'll be perfectly honest with you here, if the PIRA shot and killed rapists it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.
    I have kids myself, one of them a little girl, so don't for a second doubt my views on rapists.

Whether you vote for Sinn fein or not makes no difference to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Polls were taken before the worst of Adams' performance came to light. Their popularity is down regardless, and Adams' personal figures are down considerably. The fiction that this whole sordid affair isn't impacting on people's opinions of Adams, the party, and their credibility, might be reassuring to you, but I wouldn't put too much faith in it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,472 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

You are being economical with the truth. One opinion poll, with the fieldwork done before the emergence of the sex abuse scandal, shows no change for SF. Another, with the fieldwork done when the sex abuse scandal was in its infancy, shows SF support down 3%. Who knows what the next poll will show.

You are only fooling yourself if you think this is not damaging SF. Please put pressure on your party leadership to inform the relevant authorities as to the whereabouts of these sex abusers.

Please put pressure on your party leadership to inform the relevant authorities as to the whereabouts of these sex abusers.

I'm just trying to work out how this will work in the real world.
    Say Gerry Adams rings the PSNI or the Gardai and says 'Here's where 'x' is living, I believe he was responsible for the rape of 'y' a few years back.
    What happens next?

• Advertisement

And as an aside SO, now that Maria Cahill has given information to Michael Martin/Enda Kenny and Peter Robinson, what do you suggest they do with that information?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,472 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I'm just trying to work out how this will work in the real world.
    Say Gerry Adams rings the PSNI or the Gardai and says 'Here's where 'x' is living, I believe he was responsible for the rape of 'y' a few years back.
    What happens next?

A full and thorough investigation to determine as to whether they represent a danger to the community. We already have one Sunday paper claiming that one of these abusers went on to continue his abuse, and ultimately murder a teenager.

Please do the right thing SF. Please don't harbour sexual abusers.
    And as an aside SO, now that Maria Cahill has given information to Michael Martin/Enda Kenny and Peter Robinson, what do you suggest they do with that information?

Hopefully they are already in contact with the relevant authorities. Although Mairia Cahill has made it known that she does not have a definite list of abusers. Only SF/IRA have such a list, so I hope they co-operate with the relevant authorities to help protect local communities.

A full and thorough investigation to determine as to whether they represent a danger to the community.

Isn't that what I've been saying throughout this thread?

Hopefully they are already in contact with the relevant authorities. Although Mairia Cahill has made it known that she does not have a definite list of abusers. Only SF/IRA have such a list, so I hope they co-operate with the relevant authorities to help protect local communities.

Why would SF or the PIRA have a definite list of abusers?
    Does anyone in this country have a full and definite list of sexual abusers who are still alive?
    Considering such a list wasn't required until the early 90's AFAIK.

If enda and the others haven't gone to the relevant authorities are they guilty of harbouring such criminals too?

Why would SF or the PIRA have a definite list of abusers?

Just ask the people involved in the Kangaroo courts. Some are still members of Sinn Féin. They should be able to provide the information.

145 posts on this thread, hats off to you - some effort at trying to promote the party line 24/7! And some accuse me of being a press officer!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

And some accuse me of being a press officer!!! :)

I am not among those who have done so, but, as you yourself have mentioned this, I will say that I am suspicious, at this point, of some long term moderators and one or two long term posters and their agenda, etc.

Are you a press officer, and if so, who do you represent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Isn't that what I've been saying throughout this thread?

No, it really isn't. I called for a Ryan Report type commission pages and pages back and you pooh poohed it.

145 posts on this thread, hats off to you - some effort at trying to promote the party line! And some accuse me of being a press officer!!! :)

Did I?

I think you'll also find that my line is different than 'the party line'.
    I'm not a member of SF just so as you know nor have no intention of becoming one.
    I can spot political opportunism a mile off though, not yourself btw, and I don't care for it.
    If there's questions to be answered by Sinn Fein or Adams, let them answer them through the proper channels.
    I'm just an ordinary voter who is sick to death of the games these party's play at the expense of others.
    There's not a lot else to say.

No, it really isn't. I called for a Ryan Report type commission pages and pages back and you pooh poohed it.

Well, I didn't.
    I asked who would we get to chair it.
    Where would we get impartial people to do the job?

• Advertisement

porsche959 wrote: »
    I am not among those who have done so, but, as you yourself have mentioned this, I will say that I am suspicious, at this point, of some long term moderators and one or two long term posters and their agenda, etc.

Are you a press officer, and if so, who do you represent?

Nope, I am not. Delighted that you think I have the capabilities to be one though! :)
    Did I?

I think you'll also find that my line is different than 'the party line'.
    I'm not a member of SF just so as you know nor have no intention of becoming one.
    I can spot political opportunism a mile off though, not yourself btw, and I don't care for it.
    If there's questions to be answered by Sinn Fein or Adams, let them answer them through the proper channels.
    I'm just an ordinary voter who is sick to death of the games these party's play at the expense of others.
    There's not a lot else to say.

Fair enough. I share a common view that things should be dealt with 'through the proper channels'. I do have a concern though that the proper channels have failed Mairia Cahill in this case, but I guess we will all have to wait until the DPP / Police Ombudsman review is completed. Only time will tell.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement