Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Crap on Adams, Mod Warning in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    She refused justice through the courts for her alleged rapist.

that doesn't make her any less raped - you seem to be victim blaming again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

alastair wrote: »
    Heh. Now there's some serious denial.
    Somebody hasn't seen the opinion polls.
    Why don't you get yourself up to date and call back (if you have the cojones for it).

raymon wrote: »
    that doesn't make her any less raped - you seem to be victim blaming again
    Confused deployment of "victim blaming" number 138463.
    He has not blamed Cahill for being raped. That is what "victim blaming" is.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I can't stomach much more of this. She's lying about the rape, and even if she isn't, sure she was 16 so it was grand, and even if she's not lying about the rape, she's lying about everything else because Gerry says she was, and Gerry is the only politician in the history of politics who has never lied about anything.

I don't know how some of you people can look in the mirror, frankly.
    You can't stomach much more logical argument you can't refute?
    That's simply terrible.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Why don't you get yourself up to date and call back (if you have the cojones for it).

That's sad if your objective here is to retain a high opinion poll, very sad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

I can't stomach much more of this. She's lying about the rape, and even if she isn't, sure she was 16 so it was grand, and even if she's not lying about the rape, she's lying about everything else because Gerry says she was, and Gerry is the only politician in the history of politics who has never lied about anything.

I don't know how some of you people can look in the mirror, frankly.

Lets stick to the facts shall we?
    You claimed she was a child when this happened to her.
    The age of consent in the UK is 16. She was 16.
    That makes her an adult in the eyes of the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Were charges of having sex with a minor brought or not?

There's no such crime as having sex with a minor. Minors can be up to 18.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Confused deployment of "victim blaming" number 138463.
    He has not blamed Cahill for being raped. That is what "victim blaming" is.

Tell you what: since you're continually banging the drum that "victim blaming" can only possibly mean what it suits you to want it to mean, why don't you contact your nearest rape crisis centre and ask them if they agree with your definition?

Specifically, tell them that you've been busy stating in a public forum that a woman who didn't see a prosecution for rape through to a successful conclusion (and be sure to explain why she didn't do so) only has herself to blame, and ask them to issue a public statement agreeing with you.

Let us know how you get on.

Not that you will, of course. What was that about cojones?

I'll be honest and say that it's getting hard to tell you all apart.
    Yes, because when you are confused and can't tell people apart then it's all the other people's fault... obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

I certainly hope so.
    Child abusers should be jailed for life with no parole.
    Personally, I'd have the death sentence for anyone who rapes a child, but that's another matter.

I hope so too Ned, but I really doubt it will happen unless their hand is forced. My very first post on this matter called for a Commission similar to what we had for the Church cover ups. I have not changed my stance. I am grateful to Maria Cahill for shining a light on yet another grubby episode in how children are treated and get justice (or not) in this country.

• Advertisement

I've seen the opinion polls - which predate most of this litany of errors. I'm also well aware of the public reaction to said litany of errors, from just talking to people. This has been a bad week for SF's credibility.

Yes, because when you are confused and can't tell people apart then it's all the other people's fault... obviously.

Turns out I was confusing you with this guy:
    Well it just goes to show how badly you're barking up the wrong tree as I couldn't give two hoots about the republican cause. 26? 32? Not bothered one bit.
    I've said this before already.

Given the similarity in spelling between your usernames, you can see how I might have mixed you up.

Lets stick to the facts shall we?
    You claimed she was a child when this happened to her.
    The age of consent in the UK is 16. She was 16.
    That makes her an adult in the eyes of the law.

No it doesn't. 16 year olds are most definitely not considered adults under UK law.

MouseTail wrote: »
    I hope so too Ned, but I really doubt it will happen unless their hand is forced. My very first post on this matter called for a Commission similar to what we had for the Church cover ups. I have not changed my stance. I am grateful to Maria Cahill for shining a light on yet another grubby episode in how children are treated and get justice (or not) in this country.

Agreed.
    Should we have all political party's investigated by this commission or just Sinn Fein?

raymon wrote: »
    That's sad if your objective here is to retain a high opinion poll, very sad
    You don't appear to be capable of following this thread.
    I was responding to a post about Sinn Fein being damaged, so the obvious place to look was the latest opinion polls.
    Why didn't you call the person who was saying Sinn Fein were damaged in the first place sad I wonder?

Turns out I was confusing you with this guy:

Given the similarity in spelling between your usernames, you can see how I might have mixed you up.
    Well you are SOL here my friend.
    I am a SF voter but I have no interest at all in republicanism.
    Aw, that was a sore one... and you did all that searching the thread too for nothing! :-)

I am a SF voter but I have no interest at all in republicanism.
    Fair enough. Clearly it's their justice and policing policies that attract you to them.

Its not about the f#####g opinion polls, and we don't all have cojones. God the chest beating, misygony and victim blaming from some of the SF supporters here is breathtaking. I know some very good female SF activists, where are their voices in this debate, have they been silenced?

Specifically, tell them that you've been busy stating in a public forum that a woman who didn't see a prosecution for rape through to a successful conclusion (and be sure to explain why she didn't do so) only has herself to blame, and ask them to issue a public statement agreeing with you.
    We don't know why she pulled her evidence.
    I see you've dropped "slut shaming". So you did look it up or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

This is the first and (probably the last) time I have got involved in a discussion on Boards about Sinn Fein. Whatever chance there was of me voting for them has been destroyed by the attitude of their supporters here. Inability to debate a topic rationally, personal insults and attacks and using any means possible to defend their position, including targeting a rape victim. Fúck you lads. Thanks for the eye opener!

• Advertisement

Fair enough. Clearly it's their justice and policing policies that attract you to them.
    Embarrassed but still comes back with more amateur detective work.
    Yeah, whatever.

We don't know why she pulled her evidence.
    I see you've dropped "slut shaming". So you did look it up or what?

I'll just leave this here. It's from the link I posted earlier, which you probably didn't bother reading - I wouldn't blame you; cognitive dissonance can be uncomfortable.
    By anyone’s standards Maíria Cahill is a formidable, intelligent person with a case to argue who deserves respect and understanding. She is most certainly not deserving of what amounts to little more than “slut-shaming” and slanderous accusations by anonymous internet critics. No woman – or man – willingly makes public the sexual abuse they endured unless driven to do so by the need to see the truth exposed and justice done. Throwing wild allegations about, however much some may stem from confused or contradictory claims to do with the controversy, do no favours for those seeking to contextualise the failures of (P)IRA to deal with the criminal activities of its Volunteers during the Long War (and to deny that such activities did happen is deceitful in the extreme). They only people it shames are those making the claims and those spreading them. This is not how one treats the victims of sexual abuse, no matter what the circumstances.

Irish republicans are only too quick to condemn the misdeeds and hypocrisies of others. However they cannot do so without being prepared to hold themselves to the same high standards that they expect of others.

Re-defining both "victim blaming" and "slut-shaming" may allow you to feel good about heaping opprobrium on a rape victim, but that doesn't make it any less of a dickish thing to do.

bajer101 wrote: »
    personal insults
    Like I said, you list them and I'll list the ones from the "other" side of the debate and we'll sit and wonder why you are only capable of seeing one column of them.
    The number of supposed SF voters lost over the last week magically doesn't seem to have had the slightest impact on their opinion polls... almost as if these people were never really going to ever vote SF anyway...

??

Oh, come on. You're seriously going to try to claim that this thread isn't a frigging cesspool of misogyny?

bajer101 wrote: »
    This is the first and (probably the last) time I have got involved in a discussion on Boards about Sinn Fein. Whatever chance there was of me voting for them has been destroyed by the attitude of their supporters here. Inability to debate a topic rationally, personal insults and attacks and using any means possible to defend their position, including targeting a rape victim. Fúck you lads. Thanks for the eye opener!

Oh come on FFS.
    I've given you plenty of rational points here tonight and you choose not to engage with them.
    You take the word of Maria Cahill as absolute fact, despite revelations on here that she is a high up member of a group closely associated with dissident republicans whose main aim is to destroy the peace process on this island and who do not recognise either the PSNI, the Gardai or the courts in Ireland.
    Rational?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Oh, come on. You're seriously going to try to claim that this thread isn't a frigging cesspool of misogyny?

And why did you as a Mod leave it open!

Oh that's right, to sling some mud at Sinn Fein.

You know what I meant Ned, misogyny.

I'll ask my wife, and I'll ask my sister and mother tomorrow when I show it to them.

And why did you as a Mod leave it open!

Oh that's right, to sling some mud at Sinn Fein.

I'm not a mod of Politics.

As much as I'd love to have seen the blatant misogyny deleted, it would just have given ammunition to those who would cry "censorship!" if they weren't allowed to post hundreds of slut-shaming and victim-blaming posts.

• Advertisement

Like I said, you list them and I'll list the ones from the "other" side of the debate and we'll sit and wonder why you are only capable of seeing one column of them.
    The number of supposed SF voters lost over the last week magically doesn't seem to have had the slightest impact on their opinion polls... almost as if these people were never really going to ever vote SF anyway...

Dan - really , you are doing SF no favours by appearing here.

Keep it up though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement