Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Negative effects of smoking forms of cannabis

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

i mentioned that id heard of issues in alaska, as an aside.

The links are important in the discussion forum but you don't need to be so extreme as to insist on one to accompany any little joke, personal anecdote or opinion.

Soundtrack to the thread........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

That's fine. I merely commented on something that was posted, i made a casual remark about Alaska, whereupon the wormy fella got irate again. i mentioned that id heard of issues in alaska, as an aside. I don't see the need to go into the nuances of these issues. If I had maintained that they're a result of the legalisation of cannabis there then it might make sense for you and wormy to pursue that angle, but you both seem to be jumping on it for no constructive reason.

The links are important in the discussion forum but you don't need to be so extreme as to insist on one to accompany any little joke, personal anecdote or opinion.

and for the benefit of that poster I have on ignore (dontbother) but who keeps directing comments at me for some reason, a few people commented on the thread in my absence so I replied to them. The agenda nonsense he keeps repeating is only making him or her look a bit crazy and if i was actually against legalisation of cannabis he'd probably copper fasten my opposition to it by behaving that way.

sorry there little rosie,

a) you're supposedly ignoring me? (childish)
    b) you keep repeating the same nonsense and not backing ANYTHING up.

you have your own (flawed and ignorant) opinion on the matter and i have mine, based on fact, study and lets just say a damn good bit of insider knowledge on the topic.

you keep saying i'm crazy. fair enough, say what you like, but it only makes me realise, the more insults and insinuations of me being mad/crazy/have issues you make, then it just proves to me that you in fact have no interest in the topic of the thread at all, and are in fact just here to TRY and be provocative and cause a stir.

i simply dont care what you think. i know, you are WRONG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

mikom wrote: »
    Soundtrack to the thread........

Very good.

Well, I will leave it to you to debate with yourself so, if general discussion isn't permitted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

Very good.

Well, I will leave it to you to debate with yourself so, if general discussion isn't permitted.

argument... won.

Rosie gone off to smoke her first jay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

argument... won.

Rosie gone off to smoke her first jay.

I really don't mean to be mean but I genuinely think you need to see your doctor.

In your eyes it's an argument, in mine it's just a thread on the internet, not something to be won or lost.

I mentioned that I would leave the thread for the other poster to do his debating on, because I don't enjoy that style of discussion, personally.

If it makes people happy to think they have 'won', then enjoy the feeling, but I think it says something about you.

I have not mammied anybodys comments, I have declined to participate in debate when I was invited to get involved and share links, because I do not wish to get involved to that degree. I have not prevented anybody else from doing so, not censured their opinions.

There's no need to be so personal in your comments. Nobody is interfering with you or telling you what to do.

There is no need to be so confrontational.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

At least three year olds are curious without being pedantic.

As with everything, broad brushstrokes. All 3 year olds are the same i tells ya!

I really don't mean to be mean but I genuinely think you need to see your doctor.

In your eyes it's an argument, in mine it's just a thread on the internet, not something to be won or lost.

I mentioned that I would leave the thread for the other poster to do his debating on, because I don't enjoy that style of discussion, personally.

If it makes people happy to think they have 'won', then enjoy the feeling, but I think it says something about you.

So blasé.
    A thread based on a subject which may have real criminal and health implications for many.
    However you start it then follow on by acting like it's a thread on "who's you favorite character in Game of thrones".

Ps. my friend prefers Ned Stark, but he has no links to back it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

MOD

Apologies, got called away just as I closed the thread, gimmie a few minutes to clean up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

MOD

Reopened for now.

Cormac.. banned and banned from the thread when he/she returns. Petty trolling and baiting won't be tolerated, keep it civil, somewhat on topic and above all else, don't be a d*ck. If you have a problem with a post report it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Laois6556

Hopefully we can get back to the topic at hand now.

So a lot of the harms of smoking cannabis has been pointed out. It's a dangerous drug, of that we have no doubt. Denying this is causing problems and will cause more problems. The lower perceived risk of cannabis has led to an increase in its use. America has seen huge increases in cannabis users in the past 10 years.
    Legalising it here would be calamitous. People would think it must be ok if it's legal. We need to end this talk, it will cause major problems down the line. For example there was a 59% increase in cannabis related emergency department visits between 2006 and 2010 in the US. That's crazy.
    I'm sure many people have seen how debilitating this drug has been to others they know. This thread is for people to share their stories about that. Hopefully media outlets tell the truth of it's dangers also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

Saying any drug is worse than another is not really an intelligent way to look at it.

Why does there need to be a ranking? Surely the most important factor is the effect on the individual, which like personalities, which are unique across the spectrum so too are the effect of drugs. You can rank their addictivness but this while having many similarities due to addictive ingredients will depend on the user. These are substances that alter chemicals in your already chemically wired brain so the effects differ hugely

I smoked too much and now I'm not a major fan, it makes me paranoid and uneasy and if I smoke for a couple of days in a row, I am moody and irritable after it. Many of my friends are similar and our conversations turned weird and not nice, like being trapped in a cloud of fear and apprehension. I think you just grow out of it

Many of the still use other drugs recreationally, all young professionals and find little to no effect on our daily lives but as someone said, the effect of any abused substance will cause problems and so will these drugs.

Weed smokers get their back up because they have such a nice little rethoric going on that they hate to see people spoiling it but there is certainly a potential for negative reactions from smoking, depending on the individual.

Saying "I would prefer to see my friend doing a line on a Saturday night than smoking every day" is like saying I would prefer to see my friend eating a sandwich than going on a ski holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Laois6556 wrote: »
    Hopefully we can get back to the topic at hand now.

So a lot of the harms of smoking cannabis has been pointed out. It's a dangerous drug, of that we have no doubt. Denying this is causing problems and will cause more problems. The lower perceived risk of cannabis has led to an increase in its use. America has seen huge increases in cannabis users in the past 10 years.
    Legalising it here would be calamitous. People would think it must be ok if it's legal. We need to end this talk, it will cause major problems down the line. For example there was a 59% increase in cannabis related emergency department visits between 2006 and 2010 in the US. That's crazy.
    I'm sure many people have seen how debilitating this drug has been to others they know. This thread is for people to share their stories about that. Hopefully media outlets tell the truth of it's dangers also.

Link for the cannabis related emergency deparment visits please.

For example there was a 59% increase in cannabis related emergency department visits between 2006 and 2010 in the US. That's crazy.

Debunked........
    This statement is intentionally misleading as it wrongly suggests that marijuana use is a significant causal factor in an alarming number of emergency room visits. It is not.

Federal statistics gathered by the Drug Abuse Warning Network (DAWN) do indicate an increase in the number of people “mentioning” marijuana during hospital emergency room visits. (This increase is hardly unique to marijuana however, as the overall number of drug mentions has risen dramatically since the late 1980s – likely due to improved federal reporting procedures.)

However, a marijuana “mention” does not mean that marijuana caused the hospital visit or that it was a factor in leading to the ER episode, only that the patient said that he or she had used marijuana previously.

For every emergency room visit related to drug use (so-called “drug abuse episodes”), hospital staff list up to five drugs the patient reports having used recently, regardless of whether or not their use of the drug caused the visit. The frequency with which any drug is mentioned in such visits is generally proportional to its frequency of use, irrespective of its inherent dangers.

It is also worth noting that alcohol is by far the drug most frequently reported to DAWN, even though it is reported only when present in combination with another reportable drug. Moreover, marijuana is rarely mentioned independent of other drugs.

http://norml.org/library/item/your-government-is-lying-to-you-again-about-marijuana

Also, Laois6556, please link your "stats" or else folk will believe you are just pulling them out of your ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

I still think it should be legal because:

It is definitely not going anywhere and it ends up alienating people from society

I 100% completely and total disagree with people telling you what you should or shouldn't do with your own mind or body with your short time on this earth, once all the available education and resources exist for adults to make an informed decision.

I think the usuage would increase but I would also hope that the disenfranchised of our society would also be able to make their own decision based on the indivduals constitution to drugs, instead of being led towards drugs because they are on the fringes of society.

Rory28 wrote: »
    Link for the cannabis related emergency deparment visits please.

http://www.msnbc.com/morning-joe/un-report-more-marijuana-more-er-visits

• Registered Users Posts: 14 VladToBeHere

I acceppt that there are people who are 'bad on' alcohol too but alcohol doesn't get any promotion as a curative, beneficial substance. It's the all or nothing promotion of cannabis that I find annoying and misleading.
    Maybe not recently but there's years of marketing alcohol and even smoking as a "cure" for ailments.

Debunked........

Also, Laois6556, please link your "stats" or else folk will believe you are just pulling them out of your ass.

Maybe not as big an increase but there's an increase non the less. That's irrelevant to my main point of the increase in it's usage because it's been painted as a friendly drug.
    I provide links if people ask.

Maybe not as big an increase but there's an increase non the less. That's irrelevant to my main point of the increase in it's usage because it's been painted as a friendly drug.

There is no friendly drug. The rise in marijuana related hospital while already debunked in a previous post could also be because the drug is no longer illegal so people are less hesitant to say they have taken it the same day.

Thanks for the link.

Treated as a friendly drug in the Netherlands, yet look at what is happening
    • Dutch citizens use cannabis at more modest rates than many of their European neighbors.
    • Dutch youth report high rates of availability of cannabis, but not as elevated as reported rates in the United States and several other countries.
    • The Dutch “continuation” rate for using marijuana from a causal experimentation in youth to regular usage in adulthood (ages 15-34) is fairly modest by international standards
    • Past-year cannabis use among Dutch 15-to-24-year-olds dropped from 14.3 to 11.4 percent between 1997 and 2005.
    http://newscenter.berkeley.edu/2011/09/13/lessons-from-dutch-cannabis-system/

There is no friendly drug. The rise in marijuana related hospital while already debunked in a previous post could also be because the drug is no longer illegal so people are less hesitant to say they have taken it the same day.

Thanks for the link.

It's usage has increased all over America.

• Advertisement

Its usage is already huge. It always has been. The exact number could never be estimated until it legal so saying it adds nothing to the debate.

I'll see your......

and raise you......

Ten years ago, Portugal decriminalized all drugs. One decade after this unprecedented experiment, drug abuse is down by half.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2011/07/05/ten-years-after-decriminalization-drug-abuse-down-by-half-in-portugal/

By the way, usage has been noted as increased in America as it is seen as more socially acceptable, so folks are coming out of the closet.
    The same way that decriminalising homosexuality brought more gay people out of the closet.................. It did not create more gay people.

Treated as a friendly drug in the Netherlands, yet look at what is happening

A lot of Dutch people are more embarrassed by the stereotype, they see it more as a touristy thing. It's unlikely that a similar attitude would be taken here and we know it's not in America.

A lot of Dutch people are more embarrassed by the stereotype, they see it more as a touristy thing. It's unlikely that a similar attitude would be taken here and we know it's not in America.

http://thepoliticalcarnival.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/grasping-at-straws.jpg

There was always going to be an initial spike. It will drop over time or at the least even out. Ideally people would replace the gargle with it. A lot of anti social behavior would be avoided IMO.

I'll see your......

and raise you......

By the way, usage has been noted as increased in America as it is seen as more socially acceptable, so folks are coming out of the closet.
    The same way that decriminalising homosexuality brought more gay people out of the closet.................. It did not create more gay people.

That link is about addiction and a reduction in problematic cases. It also says it's not all down to decriminalisation but to a confluence of treatment and risk reduction policies aswell.

No, usage has increased because it's been painted as a harmless drug. It's a very dangerous game.

Well you want to put people at risk and try it out, I'd prefer if we didn't take a chance with people's lives.

There was always going to be an initial spike. It will drop over time or at the least even out. Ideally people would replace the gargle with it. A lot of anti social behavior would be avoided IMO.

It would be an addition to our drink culture. If we legalised it we'd have two dangerous drugs commonly used. We are very different to the Dutch, they don't have huge numbers of underage drinkers either.

Well you want to put people at risk and try it out, I'd prefer if we didn't take a chance with people's lives.

No ones life is in danger to weed. Their mental health is suspect but only in teenagers and as already stated they shouldn't be smoking it.

• Advertisement

It would be an addition to our drink culture. If we legalised it we'd have two dangerous drugs commonly used. We are very different to the Dutch, they don't have huge numbers of underage drinkers either.

I don't buy this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement