Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Negative effects of smoking forms of cannabis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

If weed was bad why would holy god make it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Meanwhile in California.........
    A new report from the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice adds to the growing body of evidence that legalizing or decriminalizing marijuana does not lead to any number of doomsday scenarios envisioned by legalization opponents. Looking specifically at California, where full marijuana decriminalization went into effect on Jan. 1, 2011, the report finds that "marijuana decriminalization in California has not resulted in harmful consequences for teenagers, such as increased crime, drug overdose, driving under the influence, or school dropout. In fact, California teenagers showed improvements in all risk areas after reform."

Most notable in the above table is the drop in school dropout rates. Recent studies have suggested links between heavy marijuana use and low school completion rates. But many experts question the direction of causality in this relationship, suggesting that there could be any number of confounding factors that account for this relationship. While it's still early in California's decriminalization experiment, the numbers above should suggest we cast a skeptical eye on claims of plummeting academic achievement in a post-legalization world.
    In fact, as the report authors write: "By a variety of measures, California’s teenage behaviors actually improved dramatically after marijuana was effectively legalized — improvements that occurred more weakly or not at all among older Californians and among teenagers nationwide."

Now of course this doesn't address causality, and these numbers shouldn't be taken to imply that decriminalization caused these declines. But they do show, pretty clearly, that in the two years since full-scale decriminalization went into effect, California's kids are still all right. The sky hasn't fallen. And they add to a mounting body of research that shows, for instance:

By contrast, there is little evidence of increased social harms in states where marijuana has been decriminalized. The one credible study I'm aware of is a DEA report finding that more Colorado drivers involved in car crashes are testing positive for marijuana use. But a bucket of salt is needed here: unlike alcohol, inactive marijuana metabolites remain in the body long after consumption - days or weeks, depending on frequency of use. But the presence of metabolites doesn't necessarily indicate you were high at the time of the test - only that you got high some time in the days or weeks prior.

Even if we accept that more Coloradans are using marijuana, and that some of them are getting behind the wheel while stoned, we still have to note that traffic fatalities are down overall - this is likely because it's far less dangerous to drive stoned than it is to drive drunk. This would suggest that some Coloradans are using marijuana in place of alcohol, rather than in addition to it.

In short, the barrier of proof facing legalization opponents is incredibly high. In order to present a compelling case against marijuana liberalization, they have to demonstrate A) that liberalization is associated with a negative outcome; B) that that association is indeed causal, not just coincidental; and C) that the harms from that negative outcome are greater than the myriad harms caused by blanket prohibition of marijuana. But so far, state experiments with liberalization have not produced any consequences that pass even that first test. Considering that we're now close to 20 years out from when California voters first legalized medical marijuana, this should be reassuring news for everyone.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/10/15/after-california-decriminalized-weed-teen-arrest-overdose-and-dropout-rates-fell/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

mikom wrote: »
    Meanwhile in California.........

Rural Alaska is a grim place. I don't believe there's anything average about it. However, they've a massive alcohol problem over there as well.
    Just a bit perplexed by the description of alaskan society being average, really.

Rural Alaska is a grim place. I don't believe there's anything average about it. However, they've a massive alcohol problem over there as well.
    Just a bit perplexed by the description of alaskan society being average, really.

Explained..........
    Alaska looks more or less like the rest of the U.S.

It's ranked 26th among states on overall bachelor's degree attainment, according to the 2013 American Community Survey.

It has a lower rate of disability than the U.S. average.

Alaska's highway fatality rate is lower than the U.S. average too.

Economically speaking, Alaska's poverty and SNAP uptake rates are considerably lower than the national average,

while per-capita GDP and household income are among the highest in the nation - thanks, in no small part, to the state's oil and gas industry.

In short, Alaskans use marijuana twice as much as Americans elsewhere, but so far the sky hasn't fallen.

Alaska legalized cannabis 39 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Rural Alaska is a grim place.

Grim?

What do you mean "grim"?

Its a genuine wilderness.

You can take a floatplane and fly off into the bush, land on some unnamed lake and build yourself a house and nobody will bother you or even know you're there.

Its an amazing place.

• Advertisement

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Grim?

What do you mean "grim"?

Its a genuine wilderness.

You can take a floatplane and fly off into the bush, land on some unnamed lake and build yourself a house and nobody will bother you or even know you're there.

Its an amazing place.

It is amazing but I wasnt talking about the scenery. I was talking about problems within their society. It seems that, on paper, they're doing comparatively well, but I have heard differently from a friend who lives there.

It was just a casual remark.

And no, I've no links to back that up, and let's not turn it into the alaska thread. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

And no, I've no links to back that up, and let's not turn it into the alaska thread. :)

Is that why they invented baked Alaska ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Erectile dysfunction.

Erectile dysfunction.

ouch

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

ouch

Only affects for 21 hours.

• Advertisement

As regards the negative effects of smoking...

There's a story today about the state of Colorado considering banning edible cannabis products because of the risk of unintentional consumption by children and unaware adults:

"Statewide numbers are not available, but one hospital in the Denver area has reported nine cases of children being admitted after accidentally eating pot. It is not clear whether those kids ate commercially packaged pot products or homemade items such as marijuana brownies."

http://news.yahoo.com/apnewsbreak-colorado-seeks-ban-most-edible-pot-171138961.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

InTheTrees wrote: »
    As regards the negative effects of smoking...

There's a story today about the state of Colorado considering banning edible cannabis products because of the risk of unintentional consumption by children and unaware adults:

"Statewide numbers are not available, but one hospital in the Denver area has reported nine cases of children being admitted after accidentally eating pot. It is not clear whether those kids ate commercially packaged pot products or homemade items such as marijuana brownies."

http://news.yahoo.com/apnewsbreak-colorado-seeks-ban-most-edible-pot-171138961.html

anyone remember the white spirits your da kept in an empty glass tk bottle in the shed? and remember how he told you not to drink it? most of us didnt drink it and survived that horror...

Erectile dysfunction.

thats unfortunate. cannabis works the opposite way for me :)

It seems that, on paper, they're doing comparatively well, but I have heard differently from a friend who lives there.

I have friends that say Ireland is shite............. it's not though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

It is amazing but I wasnt talking about the scenery. I was talking about problems within their society. It seems that, on paper, they're doing comparatively well, but I have heard differently from a friend who lives there.

It was just a casual remark.

More unspecified and un-linked nuggets of information. From a friend this time who lives in Alaska.

I didnt even know weed was legal in Alaska. Imagine that. Cant remember hearing any shocking stories after 39 years of legalised unfettered access. Unless your friend can tell us all how bad it is?

Its not really "legal" in Alaska. There's a big difference between being decriminalized and being legal.

Decriminalization means you get the equivalent of a parking ticket of you're caught with it. It still means law enforcement are going to take it away from you and probably search you, etc etc. It also means (unless you have a docs prescription) you've bought it from some shady street source and have no idea wher its come from.. That a long way from "legal".

They'll be voting on legalization in Alaska this November I believe.

The only states in the US where its Legal are Washington and Colorado, where anyone over 21 can go and buy it in a shop knowing its been produced from a reputable state approved source.

Its only a matter of time though. Once California and Oregon legalise it, it'll quickly spread to the other states.

Peist2007 wrote: »
    More unspecified and un-linked nuggets of information. From a friend this time who lives in Alaska.

I didnt even know weed was legal in Alaska. Imagine that. Cant remember hearing any shocking stories after 39 years of legalised unfettered access. Unless your friend can tell us all how bad it is?

I didn't even draw a parallel between weed and their problems. I actually highlighted the alcohol problems. You seem very irritable.

I have friends that say Ireland is shite............. it's not though.

Your friends shouldn't make such sweeping statements. Maybe they have a grievance with particular issues in Ireland..maybe they don't want to get into it with you in case you ask them for a link.

I don't believe I said anyone said Alaska is ''****e'' either.

Your friends shouldn't make such sweeping statements. Maybe they have a grievance with particular issues in Ireland..maybe they don't want to get into it with you in case you ask them for a link.

I tend to pull people on misinformation especially friends.

I would hope their level of debate might be above going off in a huff whilst muttering "I don't want to get into a silly argument about it so leave it alone please.....There are no medals for the most links or the longest drawn out argument.".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

Rosie,

you seem to only reply to this thread when it needs to get a bump.

you have an agenda, it's pretty clear you want people to be constantly reminded of "cannabis having negative effects" when they log into boards.

your thread died days ago, just leave it. nobody is interested - you bump it by replying to things days later, and you are pretty much the only one fighting your corner now. even that Laois chap is gone!

so, admit you're wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

I didn't even draw a parallel between weed and their problems. I actually highlighted the alcohol problems. You seem very irritable.

Not irritable at all. More that i find people who start a discussion and then behave like a 3 year old to be tiresome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

Not irritable at all. More that i find people who start a discussion and then behave like a 3 year old to be tiresome.

hear'hear!!!

she's the only one trying to prove it's bad. we know - everything has bad sides.

stop trying to mammy the thread. it's gone Rosie, it's gone!!

I tend to pull people on misinformation especially friends.

I would hope their level of debate might be above going off in a huff whilst muttering "I don't want to get into a silly argument about it so leave it alone please.....There are no medals for the most links or the longest drawn out argument.".

Oooh. Well, I'm sorry if I offended you. You and the worm are of course entitled to your style of discussion, and it's important that there are people willing to do lots of investigating and share their findings. There's a difference between discussion and debate. If I wished to debate the subject then of course I would be happy to get involved in posting links with every comment.

Personally, I'd prefer to discuss it in terms of peoples experiences in general, that's all. :)

At least three year olds are curious without being pedantic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Laois6556

Rosie,

you seem to only reply to this thread when it needs to get a bump.

you have an agenda, it's pretty clear you want people to be constantly reminded of "cannabis having negative effects" when they log into boards.

your thread died days ago, just leave it. nobody is interested - you bump it by replying to things days later, and you are pretty much the only one fighting your corner now. even that Laois chap is gone!

so, admit you're wrong?

I'm back baby. Cannabis has negative effects on people. Fact! This thread is mostly populated by cannabis users who don't like hearing about that fact. You can't hide the truth from people, no matter how hard you try.

There's a difference between discussion and debate. If I wished to debate the subject then of course I would be happy to get involved in posting links with every comment.

Links were brought in as this is online discourse.
    Discussion flows and evolves.
    Either keep up or drop out.

Personally, I'd prefer to discuss it in terms of peoples experiences in general, that's all. :)

My personal experiences are on the thread for all to see.
    None of this friend of a friend told me lark.
    Laois6556 wrote: »
    You can't hide the truth from people, no matter how hard you try.

You are doing a good job.

Care to comment on these facts.........

A new report from the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice adds to the growing body of evidence that legalizing or decriminalizing marijuana does not lead to any number of doomsday scenarios envisioned by legalization opponents. Looking specifically at California, where full marijuana decriminalization went into effect on Jan. 1, 2011, the report finds that "marijuana decriminalization in California has not resulted in harmful consequences for teenagers, such as increased crime, drug overdose, driving under the influence, or school dropout. In fact, California teenagers showed improvements in all risk areas after reform."

Most notable in the above table is the drop in school dropout rates. Recent studies have suggested links between heavy marijuana use and low school completion rates. But many experts question the direction of causality in this relationship, suggesting that there could be any number of confounding factors that account for this relationship. While it's still early in California's decriminalization experiment, the numbers above should suggest we cast a skeptical eye on claims of plummeting academic achievement in a post-legalization world.
    In fact, as the report authors write: "By a variety of measures, California’s teenage behaviors actually improved dramatically after marijuana was effectively legalized — improvements that occurred more weakly or not at all among older Californians and among teenagers nationwide."

Now of course this doesn't address causality, and these numbers shouldn't be taken to imply that decriminalization caused these declines. But they do show, pretty clearly, that in the two years since full-scale decriminalization went into effect, California's kids are still all right. The sky hasn't fallen. And they add to a mounting body of research that shows, for instance:

By contrast, there is little evidence of increased social harms in states where marijuana has been decriminalized. The one credible study I'm aware of is a DEA report finding that more Colorado drivers involved in car crashes are testing positive for marijuana use. But a bucket of salt is needed here: unlike alcohol, inactive marijuana metabolites remain in the body long after consumption - days or weeks, depending on frequency of use. But the presence of metabolites doesn't necessarily indicate you were high at the time of the test - only that you got high some time in the days or weeks prior.

Even if we accept that more Coloradans are using marijuana, and that some of them are getting behind the wheel while stoned, we still have to note that traffic fatalities are down overall - this is likely because it's far less dangerous to drive stoned than it is to drive drunk. This would suggest that some Coloradans are using marijuana in place of alcohol, rather than in addition to it.

In short, the barrier of proof facing legalization opponents is incredibly high. In order to present a compelling case against marijuana liberalization, they have to demonstrate A) that liberalization is associated with a negative outcome; B) that that association is indeed causal, not just coincidental; and C) that the harms from that negative outcome are greater than the myriad harms caused by blanket prohibition of marijuana. But so far, state experiments with liberalization have not produced any consequences that pass even that first test. Considering that we're now close to 20 years out from when California voters first legalized medical marijuana, this should be reassuring news for everyone.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/10/15/after-california-decriminalized-weed-teen-arrest-overdose-and-dropout-rates-fell/

I'm back baby. Cannabis has negative effects on people. Fact! This thread is mostly populated by cannabis users who don't like hearing about that fact. You can't hide the truth from people, no matter how hard you try.

im pretty sure this isnt having quite the impact you intended it too. i kinda meh'd when i read it.. but then again, i am a cynic.

Links were brought in as this is online discourse.
    Discussion flows and evolves.
    Either keep up or drop out.

My personal experiences are on the thread for all to see.
    None of this friend of a friend told me lark.

You are doing a good job.

Care to comment on these facts.........

Young people who smoke cannabis regularly are 60 percent less likely to finish school or get a degree than those who have never used the drug.

New research also shows teenagers who use cannabis daily are 18 times more likely to become dependent and are 8 times more likely to use other drugs in later life.

Details of the review of almost 4-thousand cannabis users, also found that daily users in their teens are 7 times more prone to suicide attempts.

im pretty sure this isnt having quite the impact you intended it too. i kinda meh'd when i read it.. but then again, i am a cynic.

I really don't care what selfish drug users think.

• Advertisement

Young people who smoke cannabis regularly are 60 percent less likely to finish school or get a degree than those who have never used the drug.

New research also shows teenagers who use cannabis daily are 18 times more likely to become dependent and are 8 times more likely to use other drugs in later life.

Details of the review of almost 4-thousand cannabis users, also found that daily users in their teens are 7 times more prone to suicide attempts.

up to the minute research shows that 57% of all boards users are 25 times more likely to have eaten cornflakes this morning, than a 22% cross section of widows with the surname O'Neil. FACT.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement