Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Negative effects of smoking forms of cannabis

Options
  • 16-10-2014 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what I mean?

Total personality change, one minute the person is your friend, they are themself and the next they behave erratically and seem paranoid and very defensive...feel free to defend smoing cannabis, but I'm really asking for input from people who have seen the negative effects on friends.

I am all for research into anything that might hlp people medicinally too.

I wonder if it is a bad reaction to the resin, and if most people are fine if they smoke the pure stuff?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,109 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

There's a glass of water shaking on my table.

They're coming

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Is it any different to someone who isn't suited to drinking?
    You know the male who starts fights after alcohol or the female who cries uncontrollably.
    Some people should just not do certain things as it brings out the worst in them, does not suit their personality and maybe exasperating existing medical conditions.
    Cannabis for your friend is one of those things

Put here is my AH Response:
    The only negative effects are having a big **** and being a complete legend :D <---- Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Cormac... wrote: »
    Is it any different to someone who isn't suited to drinking?
    You know the male who starts fights after alcohol or the female who cries uncontrollably

Nope, peoples bodies react differently to substances/medication/whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Thanks to "harmless" weed I've had my nose broken at least twice (probably more but I was too ashamed to have it looked at. I've had my hand fractured, I've had countless black eyes and bruises. I've been shouted at spat at bullied pushed around and attacked for no reason.

I've been in two accidents where him being goofed off his mallet contributed to it.

He was fine, no bother, until he started smoking and then he became a horrible horrible person to be around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

Thanks to "harmless" weed I've had my nose broken at least twice (probably more but I was too ashamed to have it looked at. I've had my hand fractured, I've had countless black eyes and bruises. I've been shouted at spat at bullied pushed around and attacked for no reason.

I've been in two accidents where him being goofed off his mallet contributed to it.

He was fine, no bother, until he started smoking and then he became a horrible horrible person to be around

:( I' sorry :(
    Well this is the kind of thing I've heard from certain parts of the U.K where it seems to be as normal as eating cornflakes for breakfast. It seems to result in more harm than some would like others to believe.

I acceppt that there are people who are 'bad on' alcohol too but alcohol doesn't get any promotion as a curative, beneficial substance. It's the all or nothing promotion of cannabis that I find annoying and misleading.

I have defiinitely seen a change for the worst in friends who smoke cannabis. Other friends- two of them- see fine after smking it, but if there's to be a realistic overview of its benefits there should be a realistic view of it overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

:( I' sorry :(
    Well this is the kind of thing I've heard from certain parts of the U.K where it seems to be as normal as eating cornflakes for breakfast. It seems to result in more harm than some would like others to believe.

I acceppt that there are people who are 'bad on' alcohol too but alcohol doesn't get any promotion as a curative, beneficial substance. It's the all or nothing promotion of cannabis that I find annoying and misleading.

I have defiinitely seen a change for the worst in friends who smoke cannabis. Other friends- two of them- see fine after smking it, but if there's to be a realistic overview of its benefits there should be a realistic view of it overall.

Go ahead pls, I'd love to know more.

Go ahead pls, I'd love to know more.

More about..?

If you mean the negative effects I mentoned I just mean a change in their attitude, they became quite defensive, suspicious and paranoid..not their usual selves.

Prickly, difficult, uncomfortable to be around. Cliquey. Odd. Just not ..like their usual selves.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

It's like any substance. You take a lot of it, be it drink, weed, coke, painkillers and sooner or later you'll come unstuck.

Back in the day I could smoke a few J's with no bother. A period in my life that just phased out. Now if I could just kick this coke habit, id be gravy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

It's the all or nothing promotion of cannabis that I find annoying and misleading.

WTAF :confused:
    Prickly, difficult, uncomfortable to be around. Cliquey. Odd. Just not ..like their usual selves.

Are these adults or teenagers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

the psychological issues have been more than studied. there is plenty of evidence available to show that smoking weed can contribute to many issues there, especially with younger and developing brains.

However, I have never seen any studies which suggest that it results in increased aggression. I would be very interested to see some papers on this

• Advertisement

More about..?

If you mean the negative effects I mentoned I just mean a change in their attitude, they became quite defensive, suspicious and paranoid..not their usual selves.

+1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

ive seen negative affects on people. most were adult enough to be able to decide that weed wasnt for them.

exactly the same way i decided alcohol wasnt for me. weed suits my personality much better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

We should all stick to the good (and purely coincidentally taxable) drugs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

The same can be said for alcohol though....

Not everyone reacts the same way to weed. Some people are really horrible abusive drunks. Alcohol is a mind altering substance just like any other drug. Some drugs are worse than others, yes, but alcohol consumption can be just as dangerous as taking weed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

folan wrote: »
    However, I have never seen any studies which suggest that it results in increased aggression. I would be very interested to see some papers on this

It's skunk people are normally talking about when it comes to aggression, and it kind of distorts the debate - like using Absinthe as an argument for alcohol prohibition.

Very balanced article on it a few years ago by Rosie Boycott, long time legalisation advocate, here.

Cormac... wrote: »
    WTAF :confused:

Are these adults or teenagers?

k..the all or nothing bit refers to the photo memes stating it cures cancer, (if you use Facebook, you might have seen these ones)which in fairness it might (in the form of an oil)-and they are adults- older than me, late thirties uo to mid forties.

I don't think teenagers feel the need to justify themselves in their expperimentation, or something. I think I prefer not to have people justifying themselves to me :D

I really don't care what people do but I can't help but notice the correlation between the postings about the myriad alleged benefits, and the increase in my friends intake and the change in their personality- here I can't look sideways at them without them imbuing an innocent look with some meaning.
    It doesn't feel different to a drunk ready for a fight, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

ive seen negative affects on people. most were adult enough to be able to decide that weed wasnt for them.

exactly the same way i decided alcohol wasnt for me. weed suits my personality much better :)

That's a big call. I have a lot of respect for people who do that. Nothing worse than a mate persisting with a substance that clearly doesn't agree with them and turns them into a knob end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

The person above was just a plain old violent psychopath whether or not they were a smoker. I've been smoking for over 20 years and the most obvious side-effect on me is memory-loss/retaining information and the ability to read books for any period longer than a few minutes. For this reason I've given up daily usage and do about 5 or 6 weeks off then 1 week smoking. If it was legal this might change to buying 2 grams once a week or whenever I felt like it instead of being forced to buy a quarter ounce.

Not everyone reacts the same way to weed. Some people are really horrible abusive drunks. Alcohol is a mind altering substance just like any other drug. Some drugs are worse than others, yes, but alcohol consumption can be just as dangerous as taking weed.

I'm not arguing this for a second but it seems more acceptable to bash alcohol than weed. I agree drinking is just as bad, and can cause the same reaction. The only difference is most people would only get that bad once or twice a week, whereas chronic weed smokers are stoned constantly. Constantly aggressive and constantly putting fear into whoevers in their company.

I know cocaine is a much worse drug than weed but I'd actually prefer someone do a line or two of that on a Saturday night than smoke weed every day.

but alcohol consumption can be just as dangerous as taking weed.

considering the alchol related deaths compared to weed related deaths, i would suggest that alcohol is a lot more dangerous than weed when taken in excess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

It's like any substance. You take a lot of it, be it drink, weed, coke, painkillers and sooner or later you'll come unstuck.

Back in the day I could smoke a few J's with no bother. A period in my life that just phased out. Now if I could just kick this coke habit, id be gravy.

Could you clarify whether this statement was a joke or not, I couldn't tell.

considering the alchol related deaths compared to weed related deaths, i would suggest that alcohol is a lot more dangerous than weed when taken in excess.

Or when a dodgy illegal batch is taken.......

Compare Ireland with a country that has legalised weed.

EDIT: Apologies, I misread your comment. Having a blonde moment here. :o

The only difference is most people would only get that bad once or twice a week, whereas chronic weed smokers are stoned constantly. Constantly aggressive and constantly putting fear into whoevers in their company.

i dont know your situation but i can tell you that ive yet to meet an aggressive weed smoker. maybe thats my circle of friends so im not saying it doesnt happen but ive never encountered it in nearly 18 years of smoking it recreationally.

Please be assured I'm not against it completely, it might well suit you..but one friend in particular who is very anti-alcohol and a teetotaller, is one of the ones I'm thinking of right now, because she is smoking more than usual, or different stuff to what she usually sokes..and the change is so obvious to those of us wh now her. She used to be gentle but eith a fiery streak when the need arose, now she is irrational.

How do you know whether you are taking to it well?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭waxer1986

alcohol is way worse

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

chronic weed smokers are stoned constantly. Constantly aggressive and constantly putting fear into whoevers in their company.

I've known literally hundreds of stoners in my life and never met a single one like this. I'd hate to see what that same person was like after a few lines of coke or speed.

My keyboard is on the way out, by the way. I've neither been smoking nor drinking, in case anyone is wondering :P

Or when a dodgy illegal batch is taken.......

Compare Ireland with a country that has legalised weed.

i agree. kids dont know what crap they're getting on the street. but i buy from a grower who's also a naturalist. tiny operation, good friend, guaranteed good natural strains.

I'm not arguing this for a second but it seems more acceptable to bash alcohol than weed. I agree drinking is just as bad, and can cause the same reaction. The only difference is most people would only get that bad once or twice a week, whereas chronic weed smokers are stoned constantly. Constantly aggressive and constantly putting fear into whoevers in their company.

I know cocaine is a much worse drug than weed but I'd actually prefer someone do a line or two of that on a Saturday night than smoke weed every day.

I'm guessing you never met an alcoholic?

• Advertisement

How do you know whether you are taking to it well?

self awareness i guess? and relying on your friends to notice anything amiss. but your friends situation is something ive never come across so take what i say with a pinch of salt, ive no experience with that reaction to cannabis.

there's also the possibility of the amount being smoked. drug abuse is still drug abuse, even if it's weed. i tend to smoke single skin spliffs with a small pinch in each. ill have one of them every few hours from 6pm onwards most nights. but im rarely 'stoned'. just lightly chilled.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement