Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Negative effects of smoking forms of cannabis

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Laois6556

Rory28 wrote: »
    No ones life is in danger to weed. Their mental health is suspect but only in teenagers and as already stated they shouldn't be smoking it.

It can be dangerous for adults aswell. Of course teenagers shouldn't be smoking it but legalising it will give it an air of normality, it'll be seen as a regular thing to do, nothing out of the ordinary. More people are using it as the risks get downplayed.

I don't buy this.

Well you don't know the Irish psyche then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Laois6556 wrote: »
    That link is about addiction and a reduction in problematic cases. It also says it's not all down to decriminalisation but to a confluence of treatment and risk reduction policies aswell.

It's called the evolution of civilisation.
    You would prefer to keep everything underground.
    Well you want to put people at risk and try it out, I'd prefer if we didn't take a chance with people's lives.

Again, you would prefer to keep everything underground.

I'll ask once more............ Tell me Laois6556, just before your life took a downward spiral as a teenager, did the bad man selling you cannabis ask you for ID?

Did you know what you were getting?
    Was it fresh?
    Was it traceable?
    What did the ingredients listing on the side of the pack say the THC to CBD ratio was?
    Well you don't know the Irish psyche then.

Tell me about the Irish psyche?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

It can be dangerous for adults aswell. Of course teenagers shouldn't be smoking it but legalising it will give it an air of normality, it'll be seen as a regular thing to do, nothing out of the ordinary. More people are using it as the risks get downplayed.

It is already seen as a regular thing to do. The Irish psyche? What is that?

mikom wrote: »
    It's called the evolution of civilisation.
    You would prefer to keep everything underground.

Again, you would prefer to keep everything underground.

I'll ask once more............ Tell me Laois6556, just before your life took a downward spiral as a teenager, did the bad man selling you cannabis ask you for ID?

Was it fresh?
    Was it traceable?
    What did the ingredients listing on the side of the pack say the THC to CBD ratio was?

Tell me about the Irish psyche?

Where have I said the current scenario is fine? Adding to one bad situation with another is not the answer.

An addictive personality is common amongst the Irish, this is long known and proven to be correct.

• Advertisement

It is already seen as a regular thing to do. The Irish psyche? What is that?

No it's not. Drinking alcohol is seen as a regular thing to do, we don't need cannabis reaching that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

No it's not. Drinking alcohol is seen as a regular thing to do, we don't need cannabis reaching that level.

I think we are wasting each others time. You won't see it the way I do and I won't see the way you do. Good night laois man.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Where have I said the current scenario is fine? Adding to one bad situation with another is not the answer.

An addictive personality is common amongst the Irish, this is long known and proven to be correct.

Cannabis is about as addictive as coffee so replacing the scourge that is alcohol with something far far less harmful is a good thing.

Its only a matter of time.

It can be dangerous for adults aswell.

To who, the schizophrenics?

Much as they have my utmost sympathy for their plight, too much sugar is also bad for the schizophrenics.

How low do we have to set the bar?

Also, Laois6556, please link your "stats" or else folk will believe you are just pulling them out of your ass.

With the entire wisdom of humanity at their fingertips through the miracle of the internet you'd think the scaremongerers could come up with some shred of actual real published evidence wouldnt you?

With all the debate about it you'd think someone somewhere would have the numbers of deaths caused by it for instance if its so dangerous ?

Instead we have the hysterical opponents just looking at alcohol and saying "we dont need more of that", which makes no sense at all.

If they dont want more of that then they should embrace a safer alternative.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Lalealea

Anyone know what I mean?

Total personality change, one minute the person is your friend, they are themself and the next they behave erratically and seem paranoid and very defensive...feel free to defend smoing cannabis, but I'm really asking for input from people who have seen the negative effects on friends.

I am all for research into anything that might hlp people medicinally too.

I wonder if it is a bad reaction to the resin, and if most people are fine if they smoke the pure stuff?

I don't think teens should use it.

I don't personally.

People who refer to it in similar terms as drinking rarely use it as you would alcohol.

As in I don't think people should use it everyday. People need to remember if it is like drink it should be limited.

I know nice people who use it and don't behave like asses.

When you drink or take drugs you are still responsible for what you do.

I think a lot of drug users display the ignorance that severe anti drugs people do. They shut down the debate.

It IS a drug. It should be limited. And if you can't limit yourself that a problem.And if it makes you do things or not do things that you refuse or don't what to own to. That's a problem.

For some people it's not.

Same goes for drinking don't make a nuisance of yourself or cause trouble. A lot of adults use weed and don't.

Infact a guy who was clearly drunk started making a nuisance of himself on my bus home this evening. Being aggressive and just generally trying to start a fuss.

I wouldn't ever want to use drugs myself but there you go.

If you care a jot about addiction then you would be screaming for cannabis to be decriminalised............
    Ten years ago, Portugal decriminalized all drugs. One decade after this unprecedented experiment, drug abuse is down by half.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain...f-in-portugal/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Lalealea

I love it when a thread becomes an argument by two posters and they exclude everyone else.

Hey hey ...I have some controversial views on this.

I resent when people use it to bake.........i would think it RAPES brownies. Brownies don't need drugs to make them amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The most negative effect is that when you smoke it, you have less of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Lalealea wrote: »
    I love it when a thread becomes an argument by two posters and they exclude everyone else.

Hey hey ...I have some controversial views on this.

I resent when people use it to bake.........i would think it RAPES brownies. Brownies don't need drugs to make them amazing.

I'd agree on brownies. Fudge is the way to go.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Cannabis is about as addictive as coffee so replacing the scourge that is alcohol with something far far less harmful is a good thing.

Its only a matter of time.

Replacing alcohol? :D What sort of fantasy land do you live in? It will be an addition to alcohol.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    To who, the schizophrenics?

Much as they have my utmost sympathy for their plight, too much sugar is also bad for the schizophrenics.

How low do we have to set the bar?

I didn't mean just mentally.

If you care a jot about addiction then you would be screaming for cannabis to be decriminalised............

You want all drugs decriminalised? Crazy.

You want all drugs decriminalised? Crazy.

I want drug abuse down by at least half:
    I want the number of those who repeatedly used “hard” drugs and intravenous users to fall by at least half.
    I want sexually transmitted diseases and deaths due to drug usage decreased dramatically.
    Decriminalising in Portugal has yeilded all those results.
    Show me concrete evidence that decriminalising has had the opposite effect elsewhere.
    Otherwise you are just guessing.

See below.......
    None of the nightmare scenarios touted by preenactment decriminalization opponents — from rampant increases in drug usage among the young to the transformation of Lisbon into a haven for “drug tourists” — has occurred.

Drug-related pathologies — such as sexually transmitted diseases and deaths due to drug usage — have decreased dramatically. Drug policy experts attribute those positive trends to the enhanced ability of the Portuguese government to offer treatment programs to its citizens — enhancements made possible, for numerous reasons, by decriminalization.

The data show that, judged by virtually every metric, the Portuguese decriminalization framework has been a resounding success. Within this success lie self-evident lessons that should guide drug policy debates around the world.

http://www.cato.org/publications/white-paper/drug-decriminalization-portugal-lessons-creating-fair-successful-drug-policies

And still unanswered............ Tell me Laois6556, just before your life took a downward spiral as a teenager, did the bad man selling you cannabis ask you for ID?

Was it fresh?
    Was it traceable?
    What did the ingredients listing on the side of the pack say the THC to CBD ratio was

I want the number of those who repeatedly used “hard” drugs and intravenous users to fall by at least half.
    I want sexually transmitted diseases and deaths due to drug usage decreased dramatically.
    Show me concrete evidence that decriminalising has had the opposite effect elsewhere.

See below.......

And still unanswered............ Tell me Laois6556, just before your life took a downward spiral as a teenager, did the bad man selling you cannabis ask you for ID?

Was it fresh?
    Was it traceable?
    What did the ingredients listing on the side of the pack say the THC to CBD ratio was

:D This madman wants to decriminalise all drugs!!!! That's where this path leads, if we let one dangerous drug through the net then there'll be more to follow.

I've answered the second part before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

:D This madman wants to decriminalise all drugs!!!! That's where this path leads, if we let one dangerous drug through the net then there'll be more to follow.

I've answered the second part before.

Laois, are you for real? seriously?

have you not copped that this countries government is out to take whatever they can get from us, in every way.

do you really think we should just go "ok, things are fine the way they are" or "unregulation is good" ... or REALLY what the reality of the situation is when it comes to drugs, is (and this is basically your stance from what i can gather) :....

"lets continue to allow vulnerable people, including minors, to purchase unregulated dangerous drugs from hardened criminals, because it's better that way, and while we're at it, let's punish these teenagers and vulnerable people by locking them up for buying a piece of a plant, into cells with rapists and murderers".

so that's your take of it, am i right there??

you prefer kids locked in cells with rapists, is what you're saying.

- because you do realise that's what's happening now, without regulation.

Great reply.......... name-calling and backed up by nothing but guesswork.
    Flying in the face of concrete evidence and with a grinning smiley.
    You always know a poster is floundering when they break out the smileys.

*slow clap

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

As opposed to the Dutch? Send me a link to this fascinating study.

Lalealea wrote: »
    I don't think teens should use it.

I don't personally.

People who refer to it in similar terms as drinking rarely use it as you would alcohol.

As in I don't think people should use it everyday. People need to remember if it is like drink it should be limited.

I know nice people who use it and don't behave like asses.

When you drink or take drugs you are still responsible for what you do.

I think a lot of drug users display the ignorance that severe anti drugs people do. They shut down the debate.

It IS a drug. It should be limited. And if you can't limit yourself that a problem.And if it makes you do things or not do things that you refuse or don't what to own to. That's a problem.

For some people it's not.

Same goes for drinking don't make a nuisance of yourself or cause trouble. A lot of adults use weed and don't.

Infact a guy who was clearly drunk started making a nuisance of himself on my bus home this evening. Being aggressive and just generally trying to start a fuss.

I wouldn't ever want to use drugs myself but there you go.

I use it most days and am a lawyer working a 70+ hour week. What gives?

See below.......

Was it fresh?
    Was it traceable?

Despite the above obliterating Laois's argument, he still tries to argue against facts. Waste of time Mikom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

Maybe it's the lack of sleep talking but I think it would be a great idea to gate crash the water protest that's planned for Nov 1st and get to the front of the march with a giant legalise banner, have a buddy take a few pics and pass it off as they're there for the cause

edit to mod - if your going to delete my post at least tell me and the reason why

Laois, are you for real? seriously?

have you not copped that this countries government is out to take whatever they can get from us, in every way.

do you really think we should just go "ok, things are fine the way they are" or "unregulation is good" ... or REALLY what the reality of the situation is when it comes to drugs, is (and this is basically your stance from what i can gather) :....

"lets continue to allow vulnerable people, including minors, to purchase unregulated dangerous drugs from hardened criminals, because it's better that way, and while we're at it, let's punish these teenagers and vulnerable people by locking them up for buying a piece of a plant, into cells with rapists and murderers".

so that's your take of it, am i right there??

you prefer kids locked in cells with rapists, is what you're saying.

- because you do realise that's what's happening now, without regulation.

I've said already that the current situation is not good but I don't want to add an additional bad situation to it.

I've said already that the current situation is not good but I don't want to add an additional bad situation to it.

A bad situation in your opinion. Why are you ignoring the statistical evidence which shows you that your opinion on this is wrong?

Great reply.......... name-calling and backed up by nothing but guesswork.
    Flying in the face of concrete evidence and with a grinning smiley.
    You always know a poster is floundering when they break out the smileys.

*slow clap

:D Honestly, I think most people would be laughing at you also. You want to decriminalise all drugs, you can't back away from that now.

• Advertisement

Peist2007 wrote: »
    As opposed to the Dutch? Send me a link to this fascinating study.

Look up the stats on underage drinking or drinking in general. Gambling statistics etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement