Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Negative effects of smoking forms of cannabis

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

According to some, there are no negative effects.

*ahem*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Packrat wrote: »
    "I like to fry my mind with weed, so drugs are good mmmkkk"

"But but but ALCOHOL !!!!"

"Make poverty history; Cheaper drugs NOW!"

Sad sad people.

im not sure what you're ranting about? and where do i get these cheaper drugs?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

Of course it has negative effects, every drug has it's good & bad sides. Mental health problems are the biggest negative with cannabis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Yes, cannabis smoking is more carcinogenic than the smooking of cigarettes.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2008/01/29/us-cancer-cannabis-idUSHKG10478820080129

No it is not..........
    US National Library of Medicine
    National Institutes of Health

In conclusion, while both tobacco and cannabis smoke have similar properties chemically, their pharmacological activities differ greatly.

Components of cannabis smoke minimize some carcinogenic pathways whereas tobacco smoke enhances some.

Both types of smoke contain carcinogens and particulate matter that promotes inflammatory immune responses that may enhance the carcinogenic effects of the smoke. However, cannabis typically down-regulates immunologically-generated free radical production by promoting a Th2 immune cytokine profile. Furthermore, THC inhibits the enzyme necessary to activate some of the carcinogens found in smoke. In contrast, tobacco smoke increases the likelihood of carcinogenesis by overcoming normal cellular checkpoint protective mechanisms through the activity of respiratory epithelial cell nicotine receptors.

Cannabinoids receptors have not been reported in respiratory epithelial cells (in skin they prevent cancer), and hence the DNA damage checkpoint mechanism should remain intact after prolonged cannabis exposure.

Furthermore, nicotine promotes tumor angiogenesis whereas cannabis inhibits it. It is possible that as the cannabis-consuming population ages, the long-term consequences of smoking cannabis may become more similar to what is observed with tobacco. However, current knowledge does not suggest that cannabis smoke will have a carcinogenic potential comparable to that resulting from exposure to tobacco smoke.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1277837/

Dig deeper than soundbites, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

mikom wrote: »
    No it is not..........

Dig deeper than soundbites, please.

It's well known and has been known for at least the best part of a decade but I don't have the 'links' to back that up. Do your own digging, if you will.

I am sorry if it is uncomfortable for you but cannabis smokeing causes cancers of the respiratory system, whether you like it or not. Whether or not you are happy to accept that is entirely up to you.

• Advertisement

It's well known and has been known for at least the best part of a decade but I don't have the 'links' to back that up. Do your own digging, if you will.

I am sorry if it is uncomfortable for you but cannabis smokeing causes cancers of the respiratory system, whether you like it or not. Whether or not you are happy to accept that is entirely up to you.

It's well known and has been known for at least the best part of a decade but I don't have the 'links' to back that up........... ???

Link me a couple of lung cancer deaths liked directly to cannabis so.
    Should be easy.

Meanwhile...........
    Researchers from the UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine said they were surprised by the findings. “We know that there are as many or more carcinogens and co-carcinogens in marijuana smoke as in cigarettes,” said researcher Donald Tashkin. “But we did not find any evidence for an increase in cancer risk for even heavy marijuana smoking.”
    The study involved participants aged 60 and younger, including 611 lung-cancer patients and 601 patients with other cancers of the head and neck. The cancer patients were compared to a control group of 1,040 people without cancer.
    Heavy marijuana smokers were those who self-reported smoking more than 22,000 joints during their lifetime. Researchers found that people who smoked two packs of cigarettes per day increased their cancer risk twentyfold, but even the heaviest marijuana smokers had no elevated risk. They also said that cancer risk among cigarette smokers rose in proportion to how much they smoked.
    Previous studies have found that marijuana smoke has high levels of carcinogens, and that marijuana smokers inhale deeply, which would be expected to increase their risk of cancer. But some observers say that the THC in marijuana may have some protective properties that prevent cancers from forming or thriving.
    The findings were presented at the American Thoracic Society's 102nd International Conference in San Diego.

http://www.drugfree.org/join-together/study-marijuana-may-not-raise-risk-of-lung-cancer/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Burning anything and inhaling the smoke can't be that good for ya.

Saipanne wrote: »
    Burning anything and inhaling the smoke can't be that good for ya.

Worse than air alright.
    But the statement I am refuting is........ "cannabis smoking is more carcinogenic than the smoking of cigarettes".

If it is more carcinogenic than I want to see cases of lung cancer caused directly by smoking cannabis.
    I'm waiting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Like all drugs cannabis does not suit all. (all drugs iincludes alcohol).

Becoming aggressive on cannabis though? He needs a shrink, not a doctor

Not good enough, sorry :)

When making a statement that goes against all empirical research done to date, you'll need to provide some evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

It's well known and has been known for at least the best part of a decade but I don't have the 'links' to back that up.

"Well known" but you cant find any links?

The collected wisdom of humanity at your fingertips through the power of The Googles and yet you cant find any links huh?

Not one. single. link....

:D

Here's a study that came out this year.

"A new study by researchers at the University of Buffalo finds a significantly lower incidence of domestic violence among married couples who smoke pot. "Couples in which both spouses used marijuana frequently reported the least frequent IPV [intimate partner violence] perpetration," the study concludes."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/08/26/study-couples-who-smoke-marijuana-are-less-likely-to-engage-in-domestic-violence/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Here's a study that came out this year.

"A new study by researchers at the University of Buffalo finds a significantly lower incidence of domestic violence among married couples who smoke pot. "Couples in which both spouses used marijuana frequently reported the least frequent IPV [intimate partner violence] perpetration," the study concludes."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/08/26/study-couples-who-smoke-marijuana-are-less-likely-to-engage-in-domestic-violence/

If you need to smoke pot to stop you bashing your partners head in you probably shouldn't be in a relationship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

But then again : "Another possible mechanism: "chronic [marijuana] users exhibit blunted emotional reaction to threat stimuli, which may also decrease the likelihood of aggressive behavior.""

Weird study; questionnaires? Not a great method for measuring domestic violence.

Yes, cannabis smoking is more...

And of course you dont have to smoke it at all:

http://time.com/3089533/marijuana-pot-edibles-washington-state/

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Not good enough, sorry :)

When making a statement that goes against all empirical research done to date, you'll need to provide some evidence.

I didnt make a statment against all empirical research, stop talking out of your derriere.

Go find your own links, if you want to. I made the o.p asking for peoples personal experience, and have no desire to be drawn into a tit for tat about the health effects of smoking cannabis.

If my unwillingness to engage with you in that way proves something to you, fair enough. Stop asking for links and congratulate yourself for having the last link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Of course it has negative effects, every drug has it's good & bad sides. Mental health problems are the biggest negative with cannabis.

True that, a few members of my family have gotten quite fond of it in the last 10 years, old and young in fact.

Not good for any person who would have any mental health issues in the family, you'd be surprised of the amount of families out there with mental health issues. Weed can make them trigger earlier if they are displayed no symthoms before.

Not good for any working class family also that already have the addictions of tobacco smoking and drinking under their belt.

Personally I've always hated the stuff, not the worst drug out there obviously but I just hate what it does to people when they are without it a few days due to not being able to get it, or can't afford it due to some other household expense, then that person get completely moody, aggitated or passive aggressive and look for an argument etc.

Also it I read somewhere that if you do smoke cannabis while on anti depressants, the receptors in your brain doesn't know which chemical to heed to the THC in the joint or whatever is in your anti-depressants and this leads to severe mood swings. Actally I think this is true because I know several people on anti depressants and smoke weed and the mood can change unbelivably quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

The major negative effect is having to read these threads with hyperbole posts from both sides.
    Its as simple as smoke or don't. If a person abuses it then its their business not anyone else's, even if they are family. Don't like living with them? move out or kick them out. Don't like how their mood changes? Stop hanging around with them.
    This is pretty simple stuff.

Rory28 wrote: »
    The major negative effect is having to read these threads with hyperbole posts from both sides.
    Its as simple as smoke or don't. If a person abuses it then its their business not anyone else's, even if they are family. Don't like living with them? move out or kick them out. Don't like how their mood changes? Stop hanging around with them.
    This is pretty simple stuff.

Em..on paper it seems simple, in practice there is nothing that simple or easy about having a family member, partner, close friend negatively affected by a drug addiction or habit. It's a bit flippant to make out that it's not a big deal, and without meaning to be rude, it's kind of ignorant to be so dismissive towards people whose families or friendships might be falling apart and to say 'move out or kick them out, simple'

In a sense I agree, it should be as simple as to smoke or not to smoke but not everyone is good at gauging their own behaviour after smoking, and people still smoke when it isn't agreeing with them.
    I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you've not got much experience. I'm sorry to disillusion you but it's not simple at all.

If YOU smoke and YOU think you're fine then reading of the negative effects shouldn't trouble you- but you can't just deny other experiences that differ from yours because it doesn't suit you to see them talked about.

I didnt make a statment against all empirical research, stop talking out of your derriere.

Go find your own links, if you want to. I made the o.p asking for peoples personal experience, and have no desire to be drawn into a tit for tat about the health effects of smoking cannabis.

If my unwillingness to engage with you in that way proves something to you, fair enough. Stop asking for links and congratulate yourself for having the last link.

Er you made a claim that, if you knew what you were talking about, you'd know goes against research done to date.

You made the claim. And now you cant back it up. Only one derriere in the air and talking my dear. And it's yours.

• Advertisement

In a sense I agree, it should be as simple as to smoke or not to smoke but not everyone is good at gauging their own behaviour after smoking, and people still smoke when it isn't agreeing with them.
    I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you've not got much experience. I'm sorry to disillusion you but it's not simple at all.

If YOU smoke and YOU think you're fine then reading of the negative effects shouldn't trouble you- but you can't just deny other experiences that differ from yours because it doesn't suit you to see them talked about.

The above tells me you really havent an iota of what you are talking about. You dont like cannabis, ok, people do, get over it.

Peist2007 wrote: »
    The above tells me you really havent an iota of what you are talking about. You dont like cannabis, ok, people do, get over it.

I don't like to see people negatively affected, I have repeatedly said that not everyone is but those who are don't seem to realise it- just like with people who don't get alog with alcohol- please stop twisting what I said, it is unhelpful and unfair. You seem like you could make a living at jumping on people and twisting their words.

As for the empirical research, there is evidence that cannabis is harmful, in some cases more harmful than cigarettes. Iv'e already said I don't want to get into a silly argument about it so leave it alone please. There are no medals for the most links or the longest drawn out argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Iv'e already said I don't want to get into a silly argument about it so leave it alone please. There are no medals for the most links or the longest drawn out argument.

No there aren't any medals, but it's a well established principle round these parts that folks be able to give some meaningful substance to the claims they make during the course of a discussion.

You're around here long enough to know this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

As for the empirical research, there is evidence that cannabis is harmful, in some cases more harmful than cigarettes. Iv'e already said I don't want to get into a silly argument about it so leave it alone please. There are no medals for the most links or the longest drawn out argument.

Could you please direct us towards some form of evidence of this research?

In any case, if cannabis hypothetically was as carcinogenic as tobacco (or even more so) I still doubt you'd see the same number of cases of lung cancer from the cannabis smokers seen as they don't smoke weed in anywhere near the same volume that tobacco smokers smoke cigarettes.

Furthermore, when talking about carcinogens coming from smoking weed you also need to keep in mind that oftentimes the joints being smoked can be from roughly 50 - 70% tobacco anyway to bulk out the joint.

Yamanoto wrote: »
    No there aren't any medals, but it's a well established principle round these parts that folks be able to give some meaningful substance to the claims they make during the course of a discussion.

You're around here long enough to know this.

I have already posted one link- I really don't care how long I am 'around' as here there is a thread going with people discussing their own views and experiences, and then there's the odd ones like yourself hectoring people for links when the main post wasn't about cancer in the first place. I'm sure a thread could be started where people do what you want to do and explore that issue in more detail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

I have already posted one link- I really don't care how long I am 'around' as here there is a thread going with people discussing their own views and experiences, and then there's the odd ones like yourself hectoring people for links when the main post wasn't about cancer in the first place. I'm sure a thread could be started where people do what you want to do and explore that issue in more detail.

hi, usually i just browse and read, but i had to signup and login to refute what you are saying rose. You were the person who brought it up as a side-subject in the first instance werent you? so you can hardly claim something like that to suit your agenda, and then just shrug it off. you seem to have a personal problem with cannabis users in general, from what i've read, and maybe you are using cannabis, or alcohol or any drug/habit/addiction as a scapegoat for a loved one/family member acting out.

by using their addiction as your scapegoat, to deal with your own emotions on "how they've changed" or "how aggressive they get when they smoke it" you are actually hindering their recovery from addiction by blaming the weed and not realising that A) they may have taken up smoking (or any addiction) to mask their feeling and true thoughts on any number of other situations which may have arisen in their life which you yet dont know about? couldn't that be possible?

you are hindering yourself in finding out the true nature of their actual real problem by just willy-nilly blaming it all on their cannabis addiction, and not taking the time to dig a bit deeper to find out what's really actually going on in their heads.

if they are getting aggressive, on cannabis, this would be the first i've ever heard of something like that, and to be honest, it sounds to me like the person or people in your life you are acting like this, may be on more than just the green stuff, and might be hiding that from you. they could be secretly on coke, heroin, or the "easy" stuff - booze and they're telling you they get like that from cannabis because they are hiding their use of harder drugs. either that, or maybe they are just prone to aggression - OR - have you thought that they get aggressive when they smoke in front of you, because you have this stance on the topic and they dont wish to discuss it with you as they know of your position on the subject?

maybe if people stopped aggressively putting down people for smoking, or anything that has nothing to do with anyone but themselves, then you wouldnt be getting such an aggressive rebuttal.

sorry for the long winded post, i'm new here and just thought that nobody had cleared this up yet!

hi, usually i just browse and read, but i had to signup and login to refute what you are saying rose. You were the person who brought it up as a side-subject in the first instance werent you?

No, I wasn't Another poster asked about the carcinogenic effect of smoking cannabis and I answered them with a link.

so you can hardly claim something like that to suit your agenda, and then just shrug it off. you seem to have a personal problem with cannabis users in general, from what i've read, and maybe you are using cannabis, or alcohol or any drug/habit/addiction as a scapegoat for a loved one/family member acting out. ''

You are quite wrong but of course you are entitled to speculate wildly.

''by using their addiction as your scapegoat, to deal with your own emotions on "how they've changed" or "how aggressive they get when they smoke it" you are actually hindering their recovery from addiction by blaming the weed and not realising that A) they may have taken up smoking (or any addiction) to mask their feeling and true thoughts on any number of other situations which may have arisen in their life which you yet dont know about? couldn't that be possible? ''

I'm a good friend and I support my friends through difficult times. You're wildly grasping for any excuse other than the chance a person might be badly affected by cannabis now. You sound like you have been working your way through the first couple of chapters of a psychology for dummies book but I'm afraid your application is quite poor. Perhaps you are projecting?

I'm not hindering anybody's recovery..I leave people to do as they wish, this is an anonymous forum where people can discuss their views, but I don't interfere with people who smoke or drink or anything else in reality, why should I? If you behave badly and it's evident that your behaviour's declined as your drug use has increased, naturally people will wonder whether you are experiencing detrimental effects from the drug.. what you describe is self medication and yes there can be underlying causes, that does not negate the ill effects of the drug where ill eff

As for concurrent more serious addictions, there's no reason to suspect that.

you are hindering yourself in finding out the true nature of their actual real problem by just willy-nilly blaming it all on their cannabis addiction, and not taking the time to dig a bit deeper to find out what's really actually going on in their heads.

Another assumption, how on earth would you possibly know how much I know of the persons state of mind and life issues?

''if they are getting aggressive, on cannabis, this would be the first i've ever heard of something like that, and to be honest, it sounds to me like the person or people in your life you are acting like this, may be on more than just the green stuff, and might be hiding that from you. they could be secretly on coke, heroin, or the "easy" stuff - booze and they're telling you they get like that from cannabis because they are hiding their use of harder drugs. either that, or maybe they are just prone to aggression - OR - have you thought that they get aggressive when they smoke in front of you, because you have this stance on the topic and they dont wish to discuss it with you as they know of your position on the subject?

They're not telling me they 'get like that' on cannabis, it's been observed by numerous people who know them including me. They themselves aren't aware of the unpleasant behaviour they exhibit post cannabis and don't accept it when they are told .

You are assuming you know my position on the subject without fully reading or understanding what I wrote.

My position is the same regardless of whether any drug is involved or not- I expect people to behave responsibly and respectfully and if cannabis is an apparent factor in them not behaving well, then and only then is the persons cannabis use an issue.

maybe if people stopped aggressively putting down people for smoking, or anything that has nothing to do with anyone but themselves, then you wouldnt be getting such an aggressive rebuttal.

I've not agressively put anyone down
    , do stop being so dramatic. I haven't gotten an agressive rebuttal in general, actually. Just a few people with reading comprehension difficulties. It sounds to *me* like you've been criticised for the very issues being brought up here before, and you're a little touchy about them ;)

sorry for the long winded post, i'm new here and just thought that nobody had cleared this up yet!

And still it hasn't been 'cleared up'

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Threads naturally evolve in the follow on & it'd be a little odd to think an OP sets the absolute parameters for further discussion.

Anyway, it appears you're chiefly responsible for derailing your own thread, while blaming all and sundry for same.

True, I should remember to ignore the odd antagonistic comments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Laois6556

Cannabis use amongst teenagers can be very dangerous. It can lead to mental health issues down the line. Ofcourse it can with older people aswell but less likely. More common problems adults have is addiction and withdrawl from society or lack of motivation to improve their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Like drinking, it's fine in moderation, but compulsive use can bring severe paranoia and psychological dependence. Not to mention the incidental weight gain from all the munching.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement