Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android 5.0 and Nexus announcement thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

What issues are you having?

N7. 2012 has pretty tuned into a paper weight .

Constant crashes ,18 hrs to charge the battery , regularly can't find wifi connection first 24 hours with 5.0 was ok been a nightmare since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Gatling wrote: »

Constant crashes ,18 hrs to charge the battery , regularly can't find wifi connection first 24 hours with 5.0 was ok been a nightmare since

Have you tried 5.0.2?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭droidman123

Gatling wrote: »

yes as above, there was a specific update for the nexus 2012,you should check for an update on your tablet, apparently it made a big difference to performance. like gran hermano, I have the nexus 2013,nexus 10, and the nexus 9 with no performance issues at all with lollipop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I upgraded from 5.0 -> 5.02 for N7 2012 using the guide below and I would be a novice at this kind of thing.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/11/13/android-4-2-build-jop40c-rolling-out-to-the-nexus-7-now-manual-download-link-available/

Link is for old build but works the same, just get the newer file. There is a 15 second ADB tool as well.

Mine was crashing a lot. Hoping that improves.

Ruu wrote: »
    I upgraded from 5.0 -> 5.02 for N7 2012 using the guide below and I would be a novice at this kind of thing.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/11/13/android-4-2-build-jop40c-rolling-out-to-the-nexus-7-now-manual-download-link-available/

Link is for old build but works the same, just get the newer file. There is a 15 second ADB tool as well.

Mine was crashing a lot. Hoping that improves.

I can't get any luck with this, downloaded ready to go and my USB port packs in.

Update OTA update notification appeared earlier only to say no update available when asked to install .
    Grrrrrrrrrr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

Hi guys,

quick question - is it possible to lock my bootloader without wiping data?

I used wugfresh Root Kit Installer to flash 5.0 back in December but I left the bootloader unlocked. I need to lock it now but wasn't sure of the process and if there's any way to do it without wiping data?

Unrooted Nexus 5

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭corkie

Goolay wrote: »
    Hi guys,

quick question - is it possible to lock my bootloader without wiping data?

I used wugfresh Root Kit Installer to flash 5.0 back in December but I left the bootloader unlocked. I need to lock it now but wasn't sure of the process and if there's any way to do it without wiping data?

Unrooted Nexus 5

cheers
    Relocking the boot loader doesn't wipe the device, but if you need to unlock it again it will wipe it again!

Why do you need to lock it again?
    It probably best to leave unlocked!

corkie wrote: »
    Relocking the boot loader doesn't wipe the device, but if you need to unlock it again it will wipe it again!

Why do you need to lock it again?
    It probably best to leave unlocked!

Hi, reason I was going to try and relock it is I need to add an exchange email account for work and I had to encrypt the phone to do so. Even though the phone is encrypted the mail app says encryption still needs to be done. Had a check online and one post said that unlocked bootloader can have an effect (though of course this might be bollocks) so thought i'd give it a go :)

thanks

Goolay wrote: »
    Hi, reason I was going to try and relock it is I need to add an exchange email account for work and I had to encrypt the phone to do so. Even though the phone is encrypted the mail app says encryption still needs to be done. Had a check online and one post said that unlocked bootloader can have an effect (though of course this might be bollocks) so thought i'd give it a go :)

thanks
    Does your device request a pin on boot up, maybe check your security options before relocking the boot loader!

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=79342

It seems it is problem with lollipop, rather than a locked boot loader!

Thanks so much - yep it was set to not ask for pin at startup! Have changed and will re-add the exchange account.

thanks!

:edit: That's worked a treat! Thanks again

• Advertisement

Have to say having finally got 5.0.2 installed on the N7 it's a massive improvement over 5.0 stability wise haven't had a single crash so far today up from the unusable 5.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Agreed, so far so good on my 2012 Nexus 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Is Lollipop the Vista of Android?

For some yes for others apparently not .
    It hasn't started out so well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

You mean a brilliant, powerful OS, whose potential is only realised by a few, whilst the majority of the install base gives out about a desdign / colour change?

Then Yes, Lollipop is the Vista of Androind :pac: :D

marcbrophy wrote: »
    You mean a brilliant, powerful OS, whose potential is only realised by a few, whilst the majority of the install base gives out about a desdign / colour change?

Then Yes, Lollipop is the Vista of Androind :pac: :D

No I mean its like Vista in that it is probably great underneath but there are too many issues and faults with it to be really great.

Performance - it struggles to run lag free on some high end hardware - we were told Android would progress to allow it to run on the lowest level of hardware
    Design - changes to design are all well and good but is it really necessary to have iPhone like animations when what we had were perfectly great. Leave the snazzy animations to a custom launcher if someone wants to install it. It seems that the whole system is unnecessarily bloated.
    The design, functional and flow of the system seems to have taken a step backwards. Its now a lot harder to find your way around settings and also the whole ergonomics of the system is not as good as it was before (who came up with the idea of having a pop up show an incoming call and that pop up being at the top of the screen where its hard to reach and click on the Answer or Reject option - why not have the pop up show on the bottom of the screen where its easy to reach when holding a phone in one hand.) I shudder to think of how I would teach my 73 yr old mother to use an Android Lollipop phone even to accomplish many basic tasks when she can use an iPhone with about 10 mins tuition.
    Basic issues like memory leaks and wifi drop outs should not happen in what is version 12 of an OS.

These and many other issues and nuances that have shown up are going to get flushed out hopefully. Maybe the next iteration will be similar to Vista progressing to Windows 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

No I mean its like Vista in that it is probably great underneath but there are too many issues and faults with it to be really great.

Performance - it struggles to run lag free on some high end hardware - we were told Android would progress to allow it to run on the lowest level of hardware
    Design - changes to design are all well and good but is it really necessary to have iPhone like animations when what we had were perfectly great. Leave the snazzy animations to a custom launcher if someone wants to install it. It seems that the whole system is unnecessarily bloated.
    The design, functional and flow of the system seems to have taken a step backwards. Its now a lot harder to find your way around settings and also the whole ergonomics of the system is not as good as it was before (who came up with the idea of having a pop up show an incoming call and that pop up being at the top of the screen where its hard to reach and click on the Answer or Reject option - why not have the pop up show on the bottom of the screen where its easy to reach when holding a phone in one hand.) I shudder to think of how I would teach my 73 yr old mother to use an Android Lollipop phone even to accomplish many basic tasks when she can use an iPhone with about 10 mins tuition.
    Basic issues like memory leaks and wifi drop outs should not happen in what is version 12 of an OS.

These and many other issues and nuances that have shown up are going to get flushed out hopefully. Maybe the next iteration will be similar to Vista progressing to Windows 7.

Ah shíte, I may have opened up a can of worms. That's what I get for trying to be funny on a serious thread, right? :(

I can only go with my personal experience from having installed 5.0 on my N5 from about mid November, but I can say in the past 8 weeks, I've probably rebooted my phone a few more times than the previous 8 weeks to that.

Apart from that, the rest is asthetics pal and while I agree that I would hate to be showing others how to use it, I have absolutely no troubles using it myself.

It really is like my relationship with Vista after all. I love it, but everyone else seems to hate it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭droidman123

For anyone having problems with lollipop,here's a bit of a guide.its not very comprehensive but its a basic guide to getting the best out of 5.01

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2015/01/07/nexus-android-5-0-lollipop-problems/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Gottabemobile+%28GottaBeMobile%29

Just noticed something thats a bit odd
    I wonder why Google more or less copied the boot animation from Windows 7

Maybe there is more to my Lollipop Vista connections !!

Bootanimation.gif

Windows7-bootanimation.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

5.0.2 OTA update for Nexus 7 2012 came in overnight on my device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭paulski999

Have you updated? It's supposed to fix the usability of the device. Any luck. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

paulski999 wrote: »
    Have you updated? It's supposed to fix the usability of the device. Any luck. Thanks
    Working fine, don't really use the tablet that much aside from a bit of interaction with Chromecast via Mobdro, You Tube etc.., Bluetooth Tunein onto
    speaker etc..,

Using 5.0.2 on an S5 too and it's not far off the same experience when you take into account the hardware differences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Bluetonic wrote: »
    5.0.2 OTA update for Nexus 7 2012 came in overnight on my device.

Move came in today, definitely feels much more responsive but the keyboard is taking a bit of getting used to. Went straight from KitKat to 5.0.2 so never experienced the problems with other 5.x versions.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Move came in today, definitely feels much more responsive but the keyboard is taking a bit of getting used to.

If you don't like the Material keyboard design, you might be able to revert to the Holo theme through input settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's not the appearance, but how the autocorrect and next word suggestion works. Previous versions showed the word which would be typed in the middle, now the word to be typed appears in the text box with a different word appearing highlighted above the keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Joaquin223

Looking at getting an LG G-Pad 8.3 http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/lg-g-pad-83andrdquo-tablet-16-gb-black/324725/2.9.

Is there any way of knowing if/when it'll get updated to Lollipop?
    Also, I see people manually download lollipop and install it themselves, is there any risk to doing this? (Apologies if off-topic)

Joaquin223 wrote: »
    Looking at getting an LG G-Pad 8.3 http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/lg-g-pad-83andrdquo-tablet-16-gb-black/324725/2.9.

Is there any way of knowing if/when it'll get updated to Lollipop?
    Also, I see people manually download lollipop and install it themselves, is there any risk to doing this? (Apologies if off-topic)

The LG G-Pad 8.3 Google play edition is already getting Lollipop.
    Your version above is suppose to be getting it as well. (Don't know when)

Must people who are manually getting lollipop, are probably using Nexus/GPE devices.

There is a small risk of bricking a device by incorrectly flashing the wrong images etc, but most soft bricks can be recovered from.

Check the XDA forums for your device, you maybe able to flash a custom rom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Just received 5.0.2 OTA for Nexus 7 (2013).

Advertisement