Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android 5.0 and Nexus announcement thread!

Options
  • 14-10-2014 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭

Right, rather than having the Nexus 6 and Nexus 9 thread, as well as the inevitable Android 5.0 thread, let's do a megathread instead!

Sundar Pichai has shared another video, designed to taunt us even more!

Android 5.0 is yet to have its name confirmed, though most are hinting at either Lollipop or Lime Pie (which I personally doubt.)

5.0 is as we already know a large graphical overhaul.

A new Nexus phone!

The Nexus 6 has been leaked a few times now, and the majority of leaks hint it will be a 5.9" made by Motorola. @evleaks came out of retirement with this great picture. Exact system specs aren't confirmed right now, but Android Police has a few good articles on it.

Bz6NAHjCMAAYUs0.png:large

A new Nexus tablet!

Again, the ongoing leaks of the Nexus 9 have all but confirmed everything from the specs.

nexusae0_wm_V-Overall2.png

Right now we're apparently only mere hours away from the official unveiling by Google, who have set no apparent event for the unveiling. May be a surprise one has been set up and is under a strict NDA, or maybe they'll just surprise us.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

Posted this in the Nexus 6 thread

So this is supposedly it beside an iPhone 6+.

wpid-october-14-2014-24542-pm-edt.jpg?w=474

http://tktechnews.com/2014/10/14/nexus-x-aka-nexus-6-next-to-iphone-6-plus/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Re Android TV, I've noticed that on the PlayStore the section that was called Chromecast is now called Google Cast so I definitely think we'll here more on their TV thing tomorrow.

I can't wait! Android L hype whoooooop!

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that Android 5.0 will be called Licorice/Liquorice.

I has made a prediction!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that Android 5.0 will be called Licorice/Liquorice.

There's All Sorts of names they could come up with...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Supposedly the man who makes the Android lawn statues has also hinted at Liquorice

I think it will be
    http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/65/18/c6/6518c6111ef8bb28cc991d27b352786f.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

jacksie66 wrote: »
    That's not an iPhone 6 plus. The home buttons the wrong way round.

It's upside down?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

so is everything hinting at some sort of announcement today?

so is everything hinting at some sort of announcement today?

Yup! When we don't know as Google haven't anything scheduled as far as I'm aware.

• Advertisement

Here's something interesting I noticed randomly browsing an American networks website.

Look at where it says people also viewed.

uFcwdEQ.jpg

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/10/14/motorolas-nexus-6-will-be-coming-to-att-for-49-99-on-contract/

AT&T posted a link with a preview price, but the screenshotted phone appears to be an LG, which is most likely a placeholder.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

How much credibility do people put in the rumours that todays the day? I read that tomorrow is more likely than today.

As a developer I am really interested in 5.0 and hoping that they make the new material design backwards compatible to all devices in some way, I think the material design is gorgeous but it will be a real problem if it's only available on devices that get 5.0.

On the devices side of things I am liking the Nexus 9 and will probably pick up one of them if it all comes good but I am disappointed that the Nexus 6 will be a 5.9 inch phone, it's far beyond the comfort zone of a phone and while it might be great as a media device that's what a tablet is for. I wouldn't have even minded if it was 5.5 but 5.9 is a step too far, I am holding on to the rumours that there might be a 5.2 version as my last hope but I am not very confident on that.

Dunno what to do without a Nexus device as a phone! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Sigh... Twas a joke.

My bad. I lack a morning humour :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

really hoping for an android tv box.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭emo72

Hope those prices are wrong for the nexus 6. Nexus 9 starting at 399 is about right, but sd slot would be needed. Hope the Forbes sd leak is accurate.

nexus 6 starting at 569, god i hope not

Those prices are very high, especially for a Nexus device. Really hope these are placeholders.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

nexus 6 starting at 569, god i hope not

Dollars, more than likely.

Still very steep :eek:

Nimr wrote: »
    Dollars, more than likely.

Still very steep :eek:

ah we always get a direct € to $ conversion anyway when it comes to tech and games, il be looking for something elsewhere if those prices are true :(

If the leaked specs are right then the price isn't really all that surprising, is it?

If the leaked specs are right then the price isn't really all surprising, is it?

it is, last years nexus 5 was top of the line but it kept a nice low price, that has been one of the major draws of the nexus devices to date

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

All nexus phones have had a high price in stores on release. Only the play store has been subsidised with the odd exception that price matched

All nexus phones have had a high price in stores on release. Only the play store has been subsidised with the odd exception that price matched

That's a fair point, though Three sold it for €349 when they first got it.

@Atomic. Nexus devices have typically had high end specs at a lower price point. The Nexus 5 itself is a good example.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    @Atomic. Nexus devices have typically had high end specs at a lower price point. The Nexus 5 itself is a good example.

I know this but the Nexus 6 specs are pretty high according to the leaks so a higher price point than the Nexus 5 is to be expected. A 5.9 inch device is going to cost more than a 4.95 one and possibly by a bigger sum than people are expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Sorry, but in my opinion, the N6 is dead in the water at that pricing.

It's from a 3rd party German company, most likely a placeholder.
    I seriously doubt those will be Google's prices on the N6.
    N9 is probably close to the nail though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Look like the new Android version will be called Lollipop.

Link

Also, let's hope some of the early price rumours aren't correct. €569 is probably enough to turn me off it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,388 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Think people are losing the run of themselves here. When you look at the specs, this phone looks better than anything else out there.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 805
    Adreno 420
    3 GB RAM
    3,200 mAh battery
    13 MP, 4128 x 3096 pixels, autofocus, optical image stabilization, LED flash
    1440 x 2560 pixels, 5.2 inches (~565 ppi pixel density)

Those specs exceed that of the LG G3, SGS5, HTC One, so at least you are getting a truly top of the range phone unlike the previous phone which was kind of crippled by the battery/camera.

Advertisement