Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android 5.0 and Nexus announcement thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jolter

Updated last night, everything's running smoothly

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I hate you all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭caolfx

I still just don't like the look of Google launcher. Back to Nova!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Finally got the OTA this evening. Overall I am loving it but my one big issue is also this...
    damian139 wrote: »
    Previously I would have decreased volume to vibrate, one extra tap rendered the phone silent. Today the lowest setting I found was vibrate and a Google search reported this problem with lollipop, and suggested a rather convoluted process to address it

I want silent to be silent, with no vibrate. The workaround I found is very awkward and overly complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I just had a thought. Is there a chance that the network operators are thecreasin behind some delays?

I'm on emobile and so far nothing.

What about those if you out there that are on other networks or those who have been updated?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

caolfx wrote: »
    I still just don't like the look of Google launcher. Back to Nova!

Funny, I'm finding lollipop runs better/smoother on nova even after it's made to act/feel just like googles own stock launcher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

god's toy wrote: »
    Funny, I'm finding lollipop runs better/smoother on nova even after it's made to act/feel just like googles own stock launcher

Same. Google now launcher is not too nice and i am back to nova on my n10. But i do like Google 's on my n5.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Running multirom and prefer kitkat for the xposed goodness, however the update keep appearing on my screen anyway to tun it off ?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kleine Hundin

I got the Nexus 10 update yesterday. It went smooth. I didn't bother although I had completed doing a factory reset before upgrading. I have 4 profiles set up on it.

It lost my lovely arrangement of icons on my home screens. Still too early to tell whether it is running good bad or indifferent. I hadn't really had much time to use it.

Waiting on my Moto G to be updated..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

Any idea how to get rid of the screen unlock security on the newer N7 running Lollipop :confused: I was taking a look at the different options & changed it from none to PIN & then to pattern but now it won't let me set it back to 'none'.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭corkie

opus wrote: »
    Any idea how to get rid of the screen unlock security on the newer N7 running Lollipop :confused: I was taking a look at the different options & changed it from none to PIN & then to pattern but now it won't let me set it back to 'none'.

Thanks!

Any chance you setup a VPN while you where on PIN/Pattern? If you did just delete the VPN from your device and you should then be able to choose none again.

The only other thing, that I think can effect it, is if you activate encryption for your device?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,502 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Upgraded my Nexus 7 2012 to 5.0 and am disappointed. Seems that bit more laggy than Kit kat, even stuff like just pulling down the notifications menu is poor. Any one know of a way to revert back?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

I applied the factory build of 5.0 for Nexus 4 on Monday. Clean install.
    Was on CM11 before that and my battery was always draining itself each night even with wifi turned off.
    Now a full charge is lasting 48 hours. More than a 100% improvement.

Delighted! It's like having a new phone even though its nearly 2 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭corkie

Upgraded my Nexus 7 2012 to 5.0 and am disappointed. Seems that bit more laggy than Kit kat, even stuff like just pulling down the notifications menu is poor. Any one know of a way to revert back?

Did you upgrade by OTA?

Give the device a day or two to adjust to Lollipop and it might improve.

You could try wiping the cache partitions and see if that improves it.

Next option would be to factory reset your device (lose data) and see if it works any better.

If you want 4.4.4 again, you will need to Flash the factory image for it. Again you will more than likely have to wipe your data.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

blobbie wrote: »
    Yes, looks handy! I don't want to mess about loading apks for something as important as Google Play Services, so I'll just have to wait for the update to arrive I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭robo

I just had a thought. Is there a chance that the network operators are thecreasin behind some delays?

What about those if you out there that are on other networks or those who have been updated?

I am on Meteor and still waiting...but I don't think they will be affected by the networks as do we not get them from Google?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

groom wrote: »
    I applied the factory build of 5.0 for Nexus 4 on Monday. Clean install.
    Was on CM11 before that and my battery was always draining itself each night even with wifi turned off.
    Now a full charge is lasting 48 hours. More than a 100% improvement.

Delighted! It's like having a new phone even though its nearly 2 years old.

Delighted to hear this. This upgrade could save me hundreds of euro if it fixes my N4 battery life!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Raoul

2 days use out of it?? That is unreal. Today is my first day using it when I have charged it fully at night. Probably using it a bit more than I usually do but only down to 73% from about 9 this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Nothing to do with carrier. I've 3 nexus devices awaiting the update. Only have it on n9 so far.
    Google release it gradually and in stages/blocks. This way if there is a bug not everyone is buggered at once and they can fix before bricking all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

corkie wrote: »
    Any chance you setup a VPN while you where on PIN/Pattern? If you did just delete the VPN from your device and you should then be able to choose none again.

The only other thing, that I think can effect it, is if you activate encryption for your device?

Thanks for the suggestions but none of the above unfortunately :( I can live with the pattern unlock but seems strange I can't just switch back to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Raoul

Thanks for the suggestions but none of the above unfortunately :( I can live with the pattern unlock but seems strange I can't just switch back to none.

On a nexus 4 and I am having problems playing videos after the update. Anyone got any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Sounds like you've a secondary setting setup for something like encryption or safe tethering to WiFi zone or blue tooth device.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Raoul wrote: »
    On a nexus 4 and I am having problems playing videos after the update. Anyone got any ideas?

Not having any problems. Is it all videos? Post a link to a sample video you're having issues with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I forget exactly how your screen looks as soon as/after a call ends. I had a call there, the other person hung up. Doesn't the screen usually activate (well, light up) when you take the handset down from your ear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

I've been running Lollipop for a few days now and seems very buggy. A bunch of apps randomly crash. Chrome seems to be worst affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭bobbygrant

Messaging app no longer seems to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

I though I read something about default encryption with version 5 of the OS, which might force a password of sorts. Check in your device if it is encrypted or not, it might give you a clue as to what is going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭caolfx

Having used it all day and most of last night, I'm not a fan of 5.0.

The animations while nice, are a bit too much in places. And I don't like the way I've to view all open apps to switch between chrome tabs.

• Advertisement

caolfx wrote: »
    Having used it all day and most of last night, I'm not a fan of 5.0.

The animations while nice, are a bit too much in places. And I don't like the way I've to view all open apps to switch between chrome tabs.

Click 3 dots in top right corner when Chrome is open,
    Settings > Merge Tabs and apps > toggle the switch for on/off

Advertisement