Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android 5.0 and Nexus announcement thread!

Options

Comments

I've had a couple of app crashes, Chrome mostly. Most annoying thing is the Google Photos auto backup bug, it backs up every folder it detects with photos in it even if I have selected the "SNP_3D6F635B89EB5103D55CBB822EB65FFA66EE_4542385_en_v0 Auto Backup is off" for that folder. Very annoying.

Overall though the experience has been quite positive. Hopefully we get updates to Chrome and Photos to remove the crashes/bugs.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Two days after I first saw the upgrade prompt (and lost it by receiving a badly timed phone call) I am now upgrading my N5. Hopefully the likes of MX player and any other apps that need it will release new versions that are compatible soon. My missus is annoyed that her songpop isn't compatible but other than that she's happy with her upgrade and the improved battery life especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

Sounds like you've a secondary setting setup for something like encryption or safe tethering to WiFi zone or blue tooth device.

Not sure what safe tethering to a wifi zone means or even how to check this :confused: Haven't got any blue tooth devices attached either.
    harney wrote: »
    I though I read something about default encryption with version 5 of the OS, which might force a password of sorts. Check in your device if it is encrypted or not, it might give you a clue as to what is going on.

It would appear not to be encrypted as it has the option to encrypt the device available. I'll do some searching at the weekend to see if I can figure it out.

2aeo283.jpg

Ok crisis over :) Fixed it as follows:

Settings -> Security -> Deactivate Administrators. Deactivate Android Device Manager
    Settings -> Security -> Clear credentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭corkie

5starpool wrote: »
    Two days after I first saw the upgrade prompt (and lost it by receiving a badly timed phone call) I am now upgrading my N5. Hopefully the likes of MX player and any other apps that need it will release new versions that are compatible soon. My missus is annoyed that her songpop isn't compatible but other than that she's happy with her upgrade and the improved battery life especially.

Test Build of MX Player available from here works on Android L, anyone using Nexus 7 (2012) don't forget to update tegra 3 codec as well, or else it won't work.

Edit 21/11/14: - MX Player has now been updated in the Play store for android L

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭thomasj

Its great that you can listen to YouTube videos in the background while viewing other apps!

About time too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭caolfx

Calendar is a complete eyesore too.

Back to iOS for me.

caolfx wrote: »
    Calendar is a complete eyesore too.

Back to iOS for me.

Ffs, get a better calendar app, that's what Android is all about, you change what you don't like. I use aCalendar+ myself

Mayo Yid wrote: »
    Ffs, get a better calendar app, that's what Android is all about, you change what you don't like. I use aCalendar+ myself

Relax there fanboy, It's just an OS.

Obviously, it's not the only think I dislike. I mentioned in a previous post I didn't like it in general. At all.

Battery life is worse, all the the colours - it's hard to look at - phone, calendar etc.

Horrible delay in the messaging app between typing someone's name and it actually showing up.

App drawer is horrible. I know - you can change it, but how many things should I have to change in an OS!?

Relax there fanboy, It's just an OS.

Obviously, it's not the only think I dislike. I mentioned in a previous post I didn't like it in general. At all.

Battery life is worse, all the the colours - it's hard to look at - phone, calendar etc.

Horrible delay in the messaging app between typing someone's name and it actually showing up.

App drawer is horrible. I know - you can change it, but how many things should I have to change in an OS!?

Well then, flash Cyanogen, Paranoid Android or one of the many other custom Roms. Ok, you don't like it, saying you're going back to iOS in an Android forum is trolling, same as going into the Apple forum and saying you're going back to Android.

• Advertisement

Well then, flash Cyanogen, Paranoid Android or one of the many other custom Roms. Ok, you don't like it, saying you're going back to iOS in an Android forum is trolling, same as going into the Apple forum and saying you're going back to Android.

Don't be so precious. I was making the point at how disappointed I am with 5.0.

The noticiations too are awful.

While it's great you can flash different ROMs etc, I don't see why I shouldn't opt for an OS that just works - for me.

Anyway, I'm done here. I won't be party to you derailing the thread and getting overprotective of the reputation of a bloody operating system!

Anyway, I'm done here.

Good man, you're a WUM, you post I'm back to iOS in an Android forum then call whoever replies a fanboy. Grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭tippguy2

still waiting on the nexus 7 2013 ota update

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mobby

tippguy2 wrote: »
    still waiting on the nexus 7 2013 ota update

Same.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Same here too.

I'm enjoying it on my Nexus 5 so far though. No real problems here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭droidman123

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

Just updated it on my Nexus 5 and I'm somewhat disappointed already. The first thing I noticed was the none/priority/all options for sound is flawed in that none switches off your alarms as well which is absolutely ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

robo wrote: »
    I am on Meteor and still waiting...but I don't think they will be affected by the networks as do we not get them from Google?

I got it yesterday. I was just checking another "what if" is all.

Battery life has been significantly improved. Unreal to be honest. Was fully charged from about 3 today and with normal use I'm still on 44% with approx 6hrs left. That's great going.

Nothing to do with carrier. I've 3 nexus devices awaiting the update. Only have it on n9 so far.
    Google release it gradually and in stages/blocks. This way if there is a bug not everyone is buggered at once and they can fix before bricking all.

Ah I know that. I was just seeing was there any input or consistency with the delays. :)

Basically any reason to blame other than the staged rollout.

• Advertisement

In fairness as an archetypal Android fanboy even I'm pissed off at the updated calendar. Which I have had the last week.

I love Google calendar and it was pretty perfect in my eyes until the recent update. 5day week? Come on that's ridiculous.

In fairness as an archetypal Android fanboy even I'm pissed off at the updated calendar. Which I have had the last week.

I love Google calendar and it was pretty perfect in my eyes until the recent update. 5day week? Come on that's ridiculous.

It was the back to iOS comment that got that reaction. I don't like the new calendar app either but who cares if Google makes these changes, the market is full of the old versions like the KitKat launcher or the KitKat gallery app (although quickpic is better), the KitKat calendar will be there too.

Give aCalendar+ a go, it's much more functional and configurable, after using the free version for ages I then spotted the paid version as part of a multiple free apps deal on Amazon once and snapped it up.

MX player now updated to support android 5.0

• Registered Users Posts: 15,869 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

So after being woken up by Yahoo notifications. I turned the phone off in desperation. This morning I checked the "App Notifications" for Yahoo & both switches were off. So I set the phone to "Priority" & did some tests - no Yahoo tones now. But when I switch the sound setting to "All" Yahoo still remained silent :confused:

@gran hermano, did you get your 5.0 update for your nexus 10? I just got the update on mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

@gran hermano, did you get your 5.0 update for your nexus 10? I just got the update on mine

Got it late Thursday. Running better than I expected on the N10. Battery seems improved.
    The N10 is still a decent tablet. Was running the same video on N9 and N10 side by side and the N10 has not aged badly.

No update on my N7 2013 or N4 yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Flashed a while ago with the no wipe option, all good except for Chrome which is laggy every now and then, dangit.
    Anybody do a no wipe and then factory reset to fix this? I read it might...

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭bobbygrant

Is google dialler the only way to answer calls or is there some other setting on Android does anyone know. I disabled the app notificiation on it inadverently and wasnt then able to answer a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

bobbygrant wrote: »
    Is google dialler the only way to answer calls or is there some other setting on Android does anyone know. I disabled the app notificiation on it inadverently and wasnt then able to answer a call.

Settings > Sound and Notification > App Notifications > Google Dialler > Set "Block" to off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Flashed a while ago with the no wipe option, all good except for Chrome which is laggy every now and then, dangit.
    Anybody do a no wipe and then factory reset to fix this? I read it might...
    Ugh, I bit the bullet and did this, backed up some apps like Whatsapp, Twee and LightManager but none of them restored properly, dammit.

Advertisement