Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android 5.0 and Nexus announcement thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Mayo Yid wrote: »
    It was the back to iOS comment that got that reaction. I don't like the new calendar app either but who cares if Google makes these changes, the market is full of the old versions like the KitKat launcher or the KitKat gallery app (although quickpic is better), the KitKat calendar will be there too.

Give aCalendar+ a go, it's much more functional and configurable, after using the free version for ages I then spotted the paid version as part of a multiple free apps deal on Amazon once and snapped it up.

I sent a report back to google about the calendar.

I'll give A Calendar a bash.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Irlandczyk

Anyone else having problems making calls with Facebook's Messenger app? Anytime I try to make calls it freezes or crashes, text messaging in the app is fine, however...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Just got the ota update on my nexus 4. Liking what I see so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭loadwire

Have found the camera a bit glitchy since the update. Sometimes the on-screen camera button for taking a picture is kind of greyed-out. If I come out of the app and then back in it's fine but it's happened a good few times, pretty annoying. Just occurred to me I could try the volume button as a workaround, might see if that works next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Phone lasted a full day of placement. Happy out with the update now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭corkie

Android 5.0.1 Factory images now available for the Nexus 9 (WiFi), Nexus 7 2013 (WiFi) and Nexus 10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Still no OTA for my N7 (2013). Anyone else still waiting too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

Still no OTA for my N7 (2013). Anyone else still waiting too?

Same here. Nexus update checker reports 5.0.1 is available but I would first need to root..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I unlocked my Nexus 7 at 17:53. Still waiting or the home screen to load. It's been unusable since the update. I'll have to root it.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Nexus 7 2013.

5.0.1 OTA just installed on top of previously side loaded 5.0

Optimising apps is a PITA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

FYI Bank of Ireland app got an update last night and now runs on Lollipop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Got 5.0.1 OTA last night on my Nexus 7 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Ste- wrote: »
    FYI Bank of Ireland app got an update last night adn now runs on Lollipop.

Tested this morning, working grand now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Nexus 4 OTA update last week and nothing but grief since
    Did a Factory reset and then the update and its cat altogether – phone now almost unusable
    Before this the phone was great – no lag, great battery and super easy to use

I will wait for the 5.01 and do a flash or whatever it takes from the factory images (I don’t know how to do this but I am sure El Goog will help!!)

Here are a list of issues spotted so far

• Lock screen not working after I set up a trusted device (even after I delete trusted device the screen stays unlocked)
    • Screen timeout changes to 30 mins (I like it set to 30 seconds) randomly
    • SIM unlock code not requested after a reboot (this happens 8 out of 10 times so I have to keep rebooting to get the SIM back in action)
    • Choppy video and apps such as YouTube just close without warning on occasions
    • Voicemail icon not displayed in notifications bar
    • Screen will not come on sometimes if a call comes in – screen also stays off if I am on a call and remove phone from ear to press a number etc
    • Recent apps – lots of apps keep reappearing in the list of stuff even though I may not have used them in days and cleared them out already
    • Camera is iffy and frequently freezes
    • Contact pictures will go fuzzy all of a sudden when I am scrolling through them
    • Vibration on keyboard only works sometimes
    • Wifi drops out and wont rescan until after a reboot
    • Bluetooth drops and kills open apps

The overall usability of 5.0 is pretty appalling too I feel. Here is a list of things I think are gone backwards
    • Dialer – its too ‘pretty’ and not easy to navigate at all
    • All the options when on a call are now at the top of the screen and hard to reach if you hold the phone in 1 hand (e.g. turn on mute, access dialpad etc)
    • Options to answer or decline a call pops up at the top of the screen – again hard to reach on bigger phones when held in 1 hand
    • Notifications – the pull down blind is not as good as previous versions. The clear all button is at the bottom of the list of notifications and is hard to see if you have a bright or even white background e.g. webpage. Why not use a drag up to access notifications? We have Google Now on the left screen so no more need for the swipe up action to access Google Now. Why not use this to access notifications?
    • Mute/silent options are really not intuitive at all
    • No options on long press of power button e.g. airplane mode etc
    • Lock screen notifications are not great at all (have a look at ACDisplay for a great lock screen notifications option)
    • Settings and options screens are not as easy to navigate and a little confusing
    • Too much white and teal and even though the general Material design is ok its just too much like Touchwiz and IOS – its too shiny happy people for me and lacks edge and sophistication. Its aimed at a 12yr old I think.
    • Too many fancy animations (it runs ok on my Nexus 4 but I don’t imagine it will run smoothly on a low end cheapo phone)

So maybe I have a dud update but it really is the worst update I have ever seen from Android. As I say I will wait for 5.01 but if that will not fix things then its back to KitKat for me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭droidman123

For anyone having problems with android 5.0 here is a very down to earth article with fixes for most common problems

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/12/01/nexus-lollipop-problems-fixes/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Gottabemobile+%28GottaBeMobile%29

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭mtt_swny

Wow it really seems a disastrous upgrade from Google so far just reading this. Are these problems arising with custom rom versions of 5.0 and older nexus upgrades, or are all nexus 6 & 9 owners facing the same issues too? I was looking forward to lollypop being something truly different, look and feel-wise, hopefully it gets completely sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭droidman123

mtt_swny wrote: »
    Wow it really seems a disastrous upgrade from Google so far just reading this. Are these problems arising with custom rom versions of 5.0 and older nexus upgrades, or are all nexus 6 & 9 owners facing the same issues too? I was looking forward to lollypop being something truly different, look and feel-wise, hopefully it gets completely sorted.

My nexus 9 runs perfectly with android 5.0 as does my nexus 10, haven't got the update for my nexus7 (2013) yet. Not everyone is experiencing all or any of these problems,as far as I am aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭mtt_swny

My nexus 9 runs perfectly with android 5.0 as does my nexus 10, haven't got the update for my nexus7 (2013) yet. Not everyone is experiencing all or any of these problems,as far as I am aware.
    OK, that is good to know, from what I've seen of it I really like it, and was expecting to like it when I get it in person. Reassuring to know it is only isolated cases that are experiencing problems. Thank you for speedy reply

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭thomasj

YouTube has been updated in line with lollipop design standards.

Direct Download is here
    http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/youtube/youtube-6-0-11-apk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Same here, no problems with lollipop on N4, N9 or N10.

I've seen reports of problems on original N7 but likely related to now slighted dated hardware.
    The N7 2013 update was resulting in some users having issues with video playback. I've as sneaky suspicion google pulled the rollout until 5.0.1 was ready. Im expecting to see 5.0.1 OTA shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭heinervb

There is no option for screen rotation on my nexus 5 running android 5.0.. Does anyone else have the same problem and how do i get the option??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

heinervb wrote: »
    There is no option for screen rotation on my nexus 5 running android 5.0.. Does anyone else have the same problem and how do i get the option??

Pull down the notification bar twice and it should be the second down on the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Hopefully Google sort out the notification nonsense, as usual stock Android is missing basic functions that HTC/Sony and to a lesser extent Samsung have to solve.

Its pretty and smooth but I'll be moving back to sense as soon as lollipop lands for the One M7.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Happy with the upgrade on both my Nexus 5 and my Nexus 10. Not seeing all these issues others have and I actually like the Notifications and Priority features that seem to have people so annoyed. The only one that's a bit of a pain is the mute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Got sick of waiting, so I flashed the factory image of 5.0.1 to my N7 today. First impression is a bit meh. I haven't seen anything that makes me want to go back to KK, but nor have I seen any killer feature that makes me think it's the best version ever. Time will tell.

So 5.01 came OTA to my N7 (2013) last night.
    Still not convinced about the whole change in doing lots of things.
    They have gotten rid of the swipe from top left to get notifications and swipe from top right to get to quick settings tiles that was in KitKat. Now it’s just swipe down and swipe again and then click the tiny cogwheel to access settings

Lots of little backwards steps like this have me annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭corkie

So 5.01 came OTA to my N7 (2013) last night.
    Still not convinced about the whole change in doing lots of things.
    They have gotten rid of the swipe from top left to get notifications and swipe from top right to get to quick settings tiles that was in KitKat. Now it’s just swipe down and swipe again and then click the tiny cogwheel to access settings

Lots of little backwards steps like this have me annoyed.

Swipe down with two fingers will get you to settings!

corkie wrote: »
    Swipe down with two fingers will get you to settings!
    That option was in KitKat also.
    On a tablet you could swipe from the top right with one finger to access quick settings

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭heinervb

No sign of the option here

• Advertisement

heinervb wrote: »
    No sign of the option here

What option?

Advertisement