Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soll 2014/2015. Please read first post!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Paddy's weekend is a very close second for my favourite time of year in Soll! (New Years gets first place). The weather is fabulous, the conditions are lovely, and the Paddy's Day Parade down the slopes is hilarious- some brilliant costumes! Apres is the usual madness and fun, and Saturday 14th is a HUGE local fundraising ski-race and party at the middle station, so if you arrive that day make sure you go straight up! Kids get a free ski pass with an adult from the 14th too, in case you're thinking of bringing little ones. Anyway, I can't recommend it highly enough. Book it! All the info you'll need is in the first post- I prefer to fly into Munich, but I rarely travel on Saturdays so compare prices with Salzburg & see how they compare :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭G2DG

Good stuff. So if organising for 2016 is it possible to do a Wednesday to Wednesday week 16th until 23rd?

My wife is a teacher so I'm hoping to bring a couple of her friends too so we wouldn't be able to fly until the evening / night of Wednesday the 16th. I know I am planning 13 months in advance but I want to start talking people into it now!! Probably looking at self catering options.

If not a runner we'll just have to do weekend to weekend!! Heard great reviews from guys last week for Soll you'll be glad to hear!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Still haven't sorted a skiing trip myself, between friends lacking money and leaving it until next year instead, all of yas keep harping on about how good Soll is over paddy's day, anyone else interested in a boardsie long paddy's weekend skiing in soll? Flights looking reasonable enough for a sun-thur, 150 quid.

G2DG wrote: »
    Good stuff. So if organising for 2016 is it possible to do a Wednesday to Wednesday week 16th until 23rd?

My wife is a teacher so I'm hoping to bring a couple of her friends too so we wouldn't be able to fly until the evening / night of Wednesday the 16th. I know I am planning 13 months in advance but I want to start talking people into it now!! Probably looking at self catering options.

If not a runner we'll just have to do weekend to weekend!! Heard great reviews from guys last week for Soll you'll be glad to hear!!

Yes it's low season so I'm sure you'll get Wed to Wed accommodation easily enough. Email the tourist board with your dates (link is first post), and they'll send you a list of available options & prices, they're great!

Timmaaay thats a great idea! And even if nobody on here takes you up n it, you'll meet loads of people anyway- just come up to the parade at the middlestation :-) Unfortunately it's looking like this Paddy's weekend might be the first one in YEARS that I'm not in Soll, I'm RAAGING!! It's looking like I've to be in London instead, otherwise I'd meet you & do the introductions. But anyway, we'll see. Maybe I'll just ping pong between London & Soll that weekend ;-)

Photos from Paddy's Day 2014. Were you there?! :-)

http://www.skiwelt.at/en/st-patricks-day-parade-at-skiwelt-soell.html

• Advertisement

Ski instructor faux pas of the week (I'm still laughing)

(Beginner)Student: Is it true that the heavier you are, the faster you go?
    Instructor: Yes
    Student: Ah ok, I lost 15kg since last year
    Instructor: Really? Wow you still go fast...

Hahahahahaaahaa :-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

No shortage of snow in Soll anyway! Thanks for all the help to get us here Fanny.

1013624_4973361067196_4862261153372908431_n.jpg?oh=b3de80c14694d7162139429a4b572a1a&oe=5568752D&__gda__=1432570566_3c4c7e383b5289d6b26e03a521006995
    1507434_10153160611303474_1273999579695405524_o.jpg
    10959475_10153160737638474_281552898132256233_n.jpg?oh=1d8dbff2301a2d62b82d0943d7567c7e&oe=556996DB&__gda__=1432943281_b2b385bd8d305bdd56541d3189a7a599
    10557550_10153161945118474_3429436514054655905_o.jpg

Rew wrote: »
    No shortage of snow in Soll anyway! Thanks for all the help to get us here Fanny.

1013624_4973361067196_4862261153372908431_n.jpg?oh=b3de80c14694d7162139429a4b572a1a&oe=5568752D&__gda__=1432570566_3c4c7e383b5289d6b26e03a521006995
    1507434_10153160611303474_1273999579695405524_o.jpg
    10959475_10153160737638474_281552898132256233_n.jpg?oh=1d8dbff2301a2d62b82d0943d7567c7e&oe=556996DB&__gda__=1432943281_b2b385bd8d305bdd56541d3189a7a599
    10557550_10153161945118474_3429436514054655905_o.jpg

When did you arrive? I was only in the church last night! Might have walked past you ;)

fannymagee wrote: »
    When did you arrive? I was only in the church last night! Might have walked past you ;)

Yesterday at lunch. We dropped bags straight into Snow and Fun for gear for a sound Irish guy then up the hill. Nice dinner in Bella (cant remember the rest of the name!) Went for a wonder last night around town in the snow hence the church shot. It was closed at that stage so assuming we didn't pass you!! So many Irish here. My wife got a lesson this morn so I went for a spin around. So much snow, piste is like off piste! Dragged our selves off the mountain about 5 chilling out since. Same tomorrow and going to check out the ski instructor from this mornings band in the new Irish bar in the evening. Lovely town, very nice people.

Are any of the places up the mountain you would recomend? We ate in the one at the top of the Soll bubble today and it was rammed. Had coffee and cake in one down at the top of the blue home to Soll later and it was much nicer.

Yesterday at lunch. We dropped bags straight into Snow and Fun for gear for a sound Irish guy then up the hill. Nice dinner in Bella (cant remember the rest of the name!) Went for a wonder last night around town in the snow hence the church shot. It was closed at that stage so assuming we didn't pass you!! So many Irish here. My wife got a lesson this morn so I went for a spin around. So much snow, piste is like off piste! Dragged our selves off the mountain about 5 chilling out since. Same tomorrow and going to check out the ski instructor from this mornings band in the new Irish bar in the evening. Lovely town, very nice people.

Are any of the places up the mountain you would recomend? We ate in the one at the top of the Soll bubble today and it was rammed. Had coffee and cake in one down at the top of the blue home to Soll later and it was much nicer.

Ah I must've just missed you all day, I was in S&F around 2.30 yesterday! Didn't meet any Irish people though, and left Soll this morning- otherwise I'd have arranged to meet up with you! The restaurant at the top of the Blue is the Stocklalm, it does amazing rotisserie chicken. The bar halfway down the blue is the Oberhausberg. It does amazing schnitzel and gluhwein, both homemade. Re: ski instructor's band, is it Rudi? And if you get a chance you should pop into the church for a quiet moment, it's amazing- nicknamed the Farmer's Cathedral. If you fancy a nice steak dinner head for the Postwirt opposite the Church. Everywhere is good though TBH! Lovely Steak Semmel outside the SalvenStadl too if you just fancy something quick :)

• Advertisement

Ah I must've just missed you all day, I was in S&F around 2.30 yesterday! Didn't meet any Irish people though, and left Soll this morning- otherwise I'd have arranged to meet up with you! The restaurant at the top of the Blue is the Stocklalm, it does amazing rotisserie chicken. The bar halfway down the blue is the Oberhausberg. It does amazing schnitzel and gluhwein, both homemade. Re: ski instructor's band, is it Rudi? And if you get a chance you should pop into the church for a quiet moment, it's amazing- nicknamed the Farmer's Cathedral. If you fancy a nice steak dinner head for the Postwirt opposite the Church. Everywhere is good though TBH! Lovely Steak Semmel outside the SalvenStadl too if you just fancy something quick :)

Ha that's gas we walked out the door of S&F at 2.30!! Potty we missed you. It was Rudi, very nice guy and good instructor, knew more about Ireland then we did :-D

Must get into the church I've seen pics of the inside and it looks beautiful

Great food tips will def check those out. Have you eaten in the Mule? Looks very new and shiny.

We go late thurs but def a place we want to come back to.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

I've never had a bad meal in Soll. One year I even had a doner kebab from a stall outside one of the bars and it was awesome.

Ha that's gas we walked out the door of S&F at 2.30!! Potty we missed you. It was Rudi, very nice guy and good instructor, knew more about Ireland then we did :-D

Must get into the church I've seen pics of the inside and it looks beautiful

Great food tips will def check those out. Have you eaten in the Mule? Looks very new and shiny.

We go late thurs but def a place we want to come back to.

Cool, i love hearing that!! Its the kind of place that gets into your bones :) Yeah Rudi's a big fan of Ireland alright, he took some amazing photos last time he was here! Love him :) The Muhle is lovely, but as AlternateID says- everywhere is! My absolute favourite is the Oberhausberg schnitzel though- try it! :)

This morning:

10954525_10153167083623474_1774968500579274347_o.jpg

Soll is down there somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Laurali

wow! Awesome!! Thanks so much for the advice.

Can't wait!

10954525_10153167083623474_1774968500579274347_o.jpg

Soll is down there somewhere

I was expecting that to be a paragliding photo! Did you go? :-)

I was expecting that to be a paragliding photo! Did you go? :-)

Not in the end. My wife hadn't skied in about 8 years so we just got in as much practice as possible. I think the weather was only right fro them to fly on Wednesday so we would have had to have been super organised:-D

I snuck in a couple of runs down the black from the top and saw the cabin. Thanks for the info next time hopefully.

I know I shouldn't laugh but... Who put that tree there?! My poor boy ;)

I shot some time lapse videos while I was there:

• Advertisement

Ah wow, love that night sky!! How many hours was that done over?!

Ah wow, love that night sky!! How many hours was that done over?!

That one is about 5.5 hours. I edited the post there with a 2nd one. Took a heap of them so uploading ATM

The looong wallkkk home. Never ending, but very beautiful :-)

That one is about 5.5 hours. I edited the post there with a 2nd one. Took a heap of them so uploading ATM

Second vid not working Rew?! :-)

Here they all are:

Nighttime:

Daytime:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Right, it's my turn now. We're off on Friday, how's that snow looking? We're going to be in Kitzbuhel and sure that's only out the road a little from Soll. We're getting an All Star pass which includes Soll and I've a hunch we'll go up and over to Westendorf on Thursday or Friday and if the mood takes us we may well continue on over to Soll. The mini-zags are determined to make the most of their passes this year so it's definitely on the cards. They did the ski safari up to Mittersill last year, but I think Westendorf/Soll is back on the agenda.

z

Oh you've picked a great week!!!! Conditions are fabulous!

The OH is supposed to be on hols this week, and he's spitting fire because the conditions are so good he keeps getting booked for off-piste & VIP gigs at short notice- everyone wants to be on the mountain! He has a super-famous German singer tomorrow, soooo not impressed haha ;-)

If you're over this direction and into F1 you might spot a couple of familiar faces around the Hohe Salve this weekend too, it's party-time!

How old are your kids? That'll be a great day's skiing for them!! You'll have an amazing week, enjoy every minute :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

If you're over this direction and into F1 you might spot a couple of familiar faces around the Hohe Salve this weekend too, it's party-time!

Do tell fanny? I'll be arriving in Austria this Sat. I wasn't planning on hitting up Soll for a week or two but if there's someone worth seeing I'll drop in on Sunday/Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

The kids are 13 & 15 and are really stretching themselves this year. In the last few years they have gone from tiny and fast because they don't know any better and can't get too hurt if they fall over, to large & fast and very much in control. They have been up training in Sandyford (rolling slope) since before Christmas, so they are very much primed. They are also going back to ski school for the first time in years . . . essentially so they can go really fast with someone much younger than their parents.

z

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

zagmund wrote: »
    The kids are 13 & 15 and are really stretching themselves this year. In the last few years they have gone from tiny and fast because they don't know any better and can't get too hurt if they fall over, to large & fast and very much in control. They have been up training in Sandyford (rolling slope) since before Christmas, so they are very much primed. They are also going back to ski school for the first time in years . . . essentially so they can go really fast with someone much younger than their parents.

z

Hi If they are going to ski school in Kitz I would recommend rote tefeul look for Jackie and get them into adult school with Hoffi. They really need to be fast and in control as they will get cover some ground.

Advertisement