Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soll 2014/2015. Please read first post!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭G2DG

Fannymagee, quick one for you. I'm still planning on bringing a crew to Soll for Paddys week next year but I'm wondering what is the best time to buy flights. Looking at Aer Lingus now (furthest ahead is January) it will be about €160 - €170 return.

Now off course that is good value but should I just book them straight away as soon as they become available or are their certain time I should wait for and get an even better price?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

G2DG wrote: »
    Fannymagee, quick one for you. I'm still planning on bringing a crew to Soll for Paddys week next year but I'm wondering what is the best time to buy flights. Looking at Aer Lingus now (furthest ahead is January) it will be about €160 - €170 return.

Now off course that is good value but should I just book them straight away as soon as they become available or are their certain time I should wait for and get an even better price?

Statistically, the best time to buy flights is 6 weeks pre-travel. I usu get my flights for less than €150, but I'm very flexible on dates. Paddy's weekend will get very expensive on the Munich route, so if you can get them near €150, buy them- and then DONT check back ;)

Aer Lingus will have lots of sales between now and then, so sign up on theirs website and next time they advertise one, book your flights.

See you there!! ;-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

In case anyone is interested, there is a YouTube vlogger called Ben Brown who is in Skiwelt (Hofgarten) for a week ATM. He's posing some nice videos of the area daily:

https://www.youtube.com/user/benbrown100

Rew wrote: »
    In case anyone is interested, there is a YouTube vlogger called Ben Brown who is in Skiwelt (Hofgarten) for a week ATM. He's posing some nice videos of the area daily:

https://www.youtube.com/user/benbrown100

Thanks Rew! I only watched one vid & the whole thing was in Soll! ;)

http://youtu.be/s46T56fLYHM

fannymagee wrote: »
    Thanks Rew! I only watched one vid & the whole thing was in Soll! ;)

http://youtu.be/s46T56fLYHM

Yeah a lot of it is

• Advertisement

Rew wrote: »
    Yeah a lot of it is

To be honest, I've no idea why anyone would go to Hopfgarten ;-)

For him, the trip was free so id say thats the overridng factor :D

Yeah, did you see them getting the bus back from aprés?! Uggghhh!! ;-)

Yeah, did you see them getting the bus back from aprés?! Uggghhh!! ;-)

Yeah the bussing around looked depressing but its a cheap backpacker travel agency so to be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

There's something familiar about that place.

Fanny do you know anywhere local where I could get a tshirt printed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

PCwiggum wrote: »
    Just visited the bar once while waiting on a taxi to head "downtown". Very quiet, just a handful of people. Thought it funny when I ordered a pint, the barman said "that will be €3.80 please", so I handed him a fiver and he said thank you very much! My mate who was waiting had a good laugh - same happened him but he only gave him €4. Luckily it wasn't a €20 or a €50 I suppose :)

That's very surprising from a barman over that part of the world. My experience of them has been that they will always give the correct change, even when doing up seperate bills for all 10 people at a table. He must have been a right chancer. Whatever about some temporary stall or bar on the slopes, any hotel that lets their barman get away with that is shooting themselves in the foot as they will get a bad rep quickly enough.

z

It's busy as usual for mid-term, but still nice- I wouldn't say mobbed! Let me know if you're around during the week & I'll meet you for a dirty pint ;-)

Heading for a day trip to Soll now. Might get a pint later as it's my mates turn to drive.

Agh just deleted what I wrote! Anyway, great day to come, it's fabulous here! I've just skied the mountain top to bottom, having breakfast now. Sorry I missed your t-shirt question, my friends are here at the moment so it's a bit mental! Defo nowhere in Soll, Wurgl is prob your best bet. Might see you in the umbrella bar later so! :)

Agh just deleted what I wrote! Anyway, great day to come, it's fabulous here! I've just skied the mountain top to bottom, having breakfast now. Sorry I missed your t-shirt question, my friends are here at the moment so it's a bit mental! Defo nowhere in Soll, Wurgl is prob your best bet. Might see you in the umbrella bar later so! :)

In the Mill myself. Dinner, pint or two and pay off my tab from Jan.

Did a little tour to Elmau. Got a bit slushy.

In the Mill myself. Dinner, pint or two and pay off my tab from Jan.

Did a little tour to Elmau. Got a bit slushy.

ALL BAR TABS NEED TO BE CLOSED!! I'll be there around six, get the schnapps lined up! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Laurali

Has there been any snow since Feb the 9th? how does that effect conditions. I'm starting to get nervous about the Paddys Week conditions!

ALL BAR TABS NEED TO BE CLOSED!! I'll be there around six, get the schnapps lined up! ;)

lol I must of had the longest running tab for a while there.

A pleasure to meet you fanny. Planning a return trip for next weekend to watch the rugby and a day in Kitzbühel but it's weather dependent. Know anywhere cheap for the night? There'd be 3 of us travelling from Mayrhofen if we get moving and I hate to leave one of them as designated driver for the day. Probably be me knowing my luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Train might be an option? Think some of them are covered by your Snowcard, Kitz to Mayhofen is about 2 hours by train

Plenty of snow Laurali, no worries about Paddy's!

Alternate, a pleasure to meet you too! Try Dorf22 for cheap accommodation, or the tourist board :)

unreal - 2.5 weeks. We're counting down the working days!

I'm going to get the beginners to buy all their gear this week, so I wonder if they'll need many thermals.. Last time I skied this late was in Norway in April in 2004/5 and the ski jackets were put away for the week.
    There was even a bikini day with all the locals!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

Where's everyone watching the Ireland v England game on Sunday? Redhorse or hotel Austria?

(must start packing)

Pop into Sinead in the Austria when you arrive and ask her what's the plan ;)

Paddy's day weather will be nice and mild, I posted last years pics a little earlier in the thread, the jackets were off then too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭ashdale5

Looking at flights out of Cork to Munich and the 1st to 8th of April are really cheap.

It's probably been asked a million times on here but is it worth risking it that late in the season somewhere like Soll?

I think the season usually ends around 12th April, so I'd say you're really chancing your arm.

ashdale5 wrote: »
    Looking at flights out of Cork to Munich and the 1st to 8th of April are really cheap.

It's probably been asked a million times on here but is it worth risking it that late in the season somewhere like Soll?

Obivously no guarantees, but if you're not looking to ski on nursery slopes or off-piste I'd say you'll be fine! There was plenty of snow well into late April last year, these we're April 21st 2014:

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭ashdale5

Thanks for the replies.

Will have kids with me who are first time skiers and will need nursery slopes so it might not be the best time for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Thanks for the replies.

Will have kids with me who are first time skiers and will need nursery slopes so it might not be the best time for them.

Kitz will have snow and they have a high area for nursery if needed. You might not be able to ski back to town but the price will compensate. Its also low season so you will get great discounts and its only down the road from Soll

Thanks for the replies.

The kids nursery slopes (Kinderland) is at the middle-station, so that's actually not a problem. Just the adult nursery slopes are at village level :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PCwiggum

Don't know who the 2 guys were but they were enjoying our tunes!:pac:

• Advertisement

PCwiggum wrote: »

Don't know who the 2 guys were but they were enjoying our tunes!:pac:

Ooh PCWiggum it says video is private??! Lemme in! ;-)

Advertisement