Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soll 2014/2015. Please read first post!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

fannymagee wrote: »
    Today:
    Looking pretty good for such a bad start to the season.

Heading over for long weekend in early February . Cant wait!

Keep the pictures coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

drkpower wrote: »
    Looking pretty good for such a bad start to the season.

Heading over for long weekend in early February . Cant wait!

Keep the pictures coming!

To be honest, that start to the season got a lot more drama than necessary because of some of the antics on here! We had snow for Christmas, and that's normal. Yes it was stressy because of the uncertainty and the situation in the rest of the Alps, but it came good in the end- EXTRA good! I wouldn't advise anyone to go to Soll before Christmas if they want a 100% guarantee of snow. New Years I'd say yes go for it, but only go Pre-Christmas if you can handle a snow gamble (which in fairness usually pays off!) ;-)

But yes conditions have been lovely since, and no problem- I'm happy to keep 'em coming! :)

Actually on that point, here's some photos of the homestead just after New Year's. Worth the wait :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 bajj

Yes absolutely!! All in good nick, no worries at all. Looking forward to hearing how you get on! :-)

Great stuff, we'll keep you posted.

Today:

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Inconspicuous

Hey Fanny

quick question. I already have my own snowboard but it could really do with being upgraded. Do you happen to know though if the ski rental shop at the gondola carry a selection of rental boards? I was thinking of renting one this year to try out something different, but I would be looking for a more advanced board. On my last few visits to Soll I noticed that boarding isn't that popular so I'm not holding out much hope for them carrying anything more than a beginner's board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭B Rabbit

Hi Guys,
    Looking to go skiiing around the week of St. Paddy's day this year.
    Small group of us looking to go , we're all around our mid twenties.
    Would you recommend Soll?

Hey Fanny

quick question. I already have my own snowboard but it could really do with being upgraded. Do you happen to know though if the ski rental shop at the gondola carry a selection of rental boards? I was thinking of renting one this year to try out something different, but I would be looking for a more advanced board. On my last few visits to Soll I noticed that boarding isn't that popular so I'm not holding out much hope for them carrying anything more than a beginner's board.

Err yes of course they do- they wouldn;t have much of a business if they only did beginner equipment lol! Personally I would go to the rental shop next door to the Salvenstadtl (snow n ski). If you tell him you're thinking of buying they'll look after you. Ask for Graham, he's Irish. You could also rent from there one day, and the garage the next, and compare what you get.

Either way, you will not be stuck with a beginners board unless you want one lol ;-)

B Rabbit wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    Looking to go skiiing around the week of St. Paddy's day this year.
    Small group of us looking to go , we're all around our mid twenties.
    Would you recommend Soll?

YES! I love Soll for Paddy's Day!! It's great craic, they even turn the slopes green for the day lol. Last few years have been getting better & better, it's one of my favourite weekends of the year! (Also my birthday weekend, so double whammy) ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Inconspicuous

Err yes of course they do- they wouldn;t have much of a business if they only did beginner equipment lol! Personally I would go to the rental shop next door to the Salvenstadtl (snow n ski). If you tell him you're thinking of buying they'll look after you. Ask for Graham, he's Irish. You could also rent from there one day, and the garage the next, and compare what you get.

Either way, you will not be stuck with a beginners board unless you want one lol ;-)

Ah grand! To be honest I've not rented a board since 2005 and had bad experiences with rental shops in general (bad gear to the extend that one time I found my binding was cracked half way down a mountain on my first run!!) so decided then to buy my own and haven't looked back since.

My check that place out so and see what the craic is!!

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭enricoh

fanny would u know anyone competent to do a nixer of a full days tuition at the end of feb in soll? 4 of us are looking to spend day 1 getting dialled in again, coming up mad money on that skischule website. ta

• Advertisement

enricoh wrote: »
    fanny would u know anyone competent to do a nixer of a full days tuition at the end of feb in soll? 4 of us are looking to spend day 1 getting dialled in again, coming up mad money on that skischule website. ta

What dates are you thinking, and what day? That's a busy time, so very often all the instructors are booked up (esp on a Sunday) but I can look into it for you if you give me specifics. Ski school also do book 3 get 3 free, you could look into that?

http://www.skischule-soell.com/skischule-ski-school-snowboard-soll-skiwelt-wilder-kaiser-tirol-austria-en/58

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

enricoh wrote: »

You should be able to buy a days lesson and then add 3 people to it for small enough money. We done it in Kitz last week full day for 250 euro for 3 people.

I would advise using the ski school as they are insured should anything happen

BREAKING NEWS!! Guinness now available in the Austria (Hotel) ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

BREAKING NEWS!! Guinness now available in the Austria (Hotel) ;-)

Yea but is it on tap and not that vibrated muck? There was talk of moving part of the bar or something to fit the keg.

Ooh now there's detail I didn't go into lol!! I'm just happy coz it'll keep the OH quiet while I chat to Sinead. His Guinness radar is useless so he wouldn't notice anyway haha. I'll check it out and report back. Standby ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Not sure I can miss another season waiting for friends to decide if they want to go. Any hostels in this place?

RasTa wrote: »
    Not sure I can miss another season waiting for friends to decide if they want to go. Any hostels in this place?

No hostels as such, but you can get B&B accom in the region of €35 if you email tourist office/shop around. Check out first post on this thread. Start w Dorf 22 & say you're looking for budget :)

Human pyramid, SalvenStadl. How does this just never get old?! ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

How are things looking Fanny? Landing in Sunday next week. In Les Arcs ATM and it's getting a bit bare...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 alexd05

We land Saturday week too! can't wait! 23 of us altogether the group grows every year! Hows the snow? x

• Advertisement

Conditions are beautiful! Plenty of schnee right down to the village, pistes are immaculate. Happy days :-)

:)

30cms since 6am, and still snowing. Wilkommen in Soll, everyone! :-) xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

30cms since 6am, and still snowing. Wilkommen in Soll, everyone! :-) xxx

what do you work at over there fanny ?

duckysauce wrote: »
    what do you work at over there fanny ?

I don't work in the resort Duckysauce, I work for myself. I usually have a few different projects going at any given time, but once I have my iPad & Skype I can work from anywhere (including the top of the mountain!) Also means I keep Aer Lingus in business gping over & back, but that's a good sign ;)

Visibility is ****e today, here's yesterday :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

want to back now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Hi fanny, I have a couple of questions re ski rental if you don't mind. The info on the opening page was really helpful, thanks.

1. Can you use the storage facilities at erdinger if you didn't rent skis there (storage there seems to involve the least amount of hassle)

2. The prices at ski center stoll (at the bottom of the drag lift) are a good bit cheaper. Is this a good rental shop or would it be better to rent at erdinger also?

Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Visibility bad due to snow......? :D

• Advertisement

drkpower wrote: »
    Hi fanny, I have a couple of questions re ski rental if you don't mind. The info on the opening page was really helpful, thanks.

1. Can you use the storage facilities at erdinger if you didn't rent skis there (storage there seems to involve the least amount of hassle)

2. The prices at ski center stoll (at the bottom of the drag lift) are a good bit cheaper. Is this a good rental shop or would it be better to rent at erdinger also?

Thanks a million

No prob, glad to help!

1) Yes you can, think its €2 per day. Well worth it to have your toasty warm boots handed to you in the morning, instead of battling the crowds in the Baltic free for all that is Stoll, & then battling a bus with all your gear (only for 2 mins, but still!) ;)

2) Personally I would recommend Snow & Fun (next door to SalvenStadl) for ski rental, if you don't rent in Edinger (for ease). Stoll is mainly used by tourists ;)

Advertisement