Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soll 2014/2015. Please read first post!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Do tell fanny? I'll be arriving in Austria this Sat. I wasn't planning on hitting up Soll for a week or two but if there's someone worth seeing I'll drop in on Sunday/Monday.

Gerhard Berger has a holiday home in Soll, at the top of the Salvenmoos (the two man blue). You can usu tell which house by the gaggle of bikini-clad girls outside ;-)

zagmund wrote: »
    The kids are 13 & 15 and are really stretching themselves this year. In the last few years they have gone from tiny and fast because they don't know any better and can't get too hurt if they fall over, to large & fast and very much in control. They have been up training in Sandyford (rolling slope) since before Christmas, so they are very much primed. They are also going back to ski school for the first time in years . . . essentially so they can go really fast with someone much younger than their parents.

z

Haha, brilliant!! Wow that'll make a huge difference to their skiing, sounds like you'll be left behind! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

fannymagee wrote: »
    Gerhard Berger has a holiday home in Soll, at the top of the Salvenmoos (the two man blue). You can usu tell which house by the gaggle of bikini-clad girls outside ;-)

ah of course. I did know Berger had a place on the hill but never seen him there.

ah of course. I did know Berger had a place on the hill but never seen him there.

He's generally incognito. I may say goodbye to the OH and his liver for a few days though- they do serious skiing but even more serious drinking! I don't know who else will be around, but it could be anyone- I'm holding out for Arnie haha ;-)

Sunrise over the moo cows :-)

• Advertisement

The long way home :-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

A few photos I took

Soll from a distance:
    16490510421_af306bc40f_c.jpgIMG_2143-2 by rew1979, on Flickr

In the sun:
    15869704124_a7f6b608a2_c.jpgIMG_2273 by rew1979, on Flickr
    16498555041_65c078f9fd_c.jpgUntitled by rew1979, on Flickr

More sun:
    15869713274_c66461d620_c.jpgIMG_2354 by rew1979, on Flickr

Sunsetting:
    16491241602_0345d0ac7f_c.jpgIMG_2956 by rew1979, on Flickr

Islands:
    16491242602_c55f1c1e9a_c.jpgIMG_2898 by rew1979, on Flickr

The moon rising:
    16491247872_8f887ee369_c.jpgIMG_2633 by rew1979, on Flickr

The powder:
    15869718214_bf0bfa55a5_c.jpgIMG_2183 by rew1979, on Flickr

Perfection:
    15880151323_c7049e5c9b_c.jpgUntitled by rew1979, on Flickr

Stunning photos, thanks!! :)

Hahahaa, just having a read of some of the other threads on here, I'm so relieved that the snowball fight has moved on from Soll!! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Meself

Hi folks, thinking of heading out to soll on my own for a week next month. Never been skiing but would love to get lessons.

Are their hostels in soll ? Any recommendations ?

Thanks all

• Advertisement

Hahahaa, just having a read of some of the other threads on here, I'm so relieved that the snowball fight has moved on from Soll!! ;-)

You know it'll be back. :P

Meself wrote: »
    Hi folks, thinking of heading out to soll on my own for a week next month. Never been skiing but would love to get lessons.

Are their hostels in soll ? Any recommendations ?

Thanks all

No hostels as such, but if you read the first post & email the tourist office with your requirements they'll help you out. Also try Dorf 22 :)

You know it'll be back. :P

Ah let me enjoy my false sense of security while it lasts ;-)

Today:

More today:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

looks great fanny!

Alpine activities with... a happy ending?

Ahh, I love a good navy sky :-)

Fasching's Dienstag ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

my eyes!

• Advertisement

Westendorf today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

First time booked in Soll for New Years so can anyone help with a few decisions i'm trying to make for a group:

Would anyone know if the Flights directly from Dub to Munich at the moment which are roughly 189.00eur per person (bags extra) would this be a good price or should i wait until later in year?

Also is Munich Airport best choice for a group of 9 adults and 1 child? And would we be better getting taxi direct from Munich to Soll or get the train then taxi?

JEmily wrote: »
    First time booked in Soll for New Years so can anyone help with a few decisions i'm trying to make for a group:

Would anyone know if the Flights directly from Dub to Munich at the moment which are roughly 189.00eur per person (bags extra) would this be a good price or should i wait until later in year?

Also is Munich Airport best choice for a group of 9 adults and 1 child? And would we be better getting taxi direct from Munich to Soll or get the train then taxi?

Yes that's a good price for New Years. I doubt you'll get it much cheaper at that time of year, but it'll get a LOT more expensive as it gets closer, so for that number of people I'd snap it up!

Taxi & train details are in the first post of this thread. Train is very easy, not affected by weather conditions and the child will be free, but again for that number of people it's worth getting a quote from taxi co & see how it compares, max €100pp return. Train & taxi return will be in the region of €70pp (roughly).

HTH! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

Westendorf today :)

Heading for Westendorf on Saturday. Looking forward to it big time. :cool:

Yahoo, two more sleeps Trashcan!! Anyone else around this week?! :-)

Still thinking of heading over that way this week. How are the crowds? I've been to 4 or 5 ski areas this week and they've all been mobbed. Change in the weather due this Saturday too.

It's busy as usual for mid-term, but still nice- I wouldn't say mobbed! Let me know if you're around during the week & I'll meet you for a dirty pint ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

Skiing buddy just texted me. Not feeling the best. He better not be coming down with something. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PCwiggum

Ooh the Alpenschlossl?! I'm fascinated by that hotel, it has the most STUNNING views!! It gets kinda mixed reviews locally TBH, so I'm really interested to hear your experience. I've also considered using it as an event venue during the summer, so if you could let me know how you find it that'd be great!! It's a bit if a walk from the village so I'd get a taxi tbh. A lot of it is uphill too- feck it you're on your holidays!

Ps I took a photo of it during the summer, I'll see if I can find it ;)

Hi Fanny, nearly forgot to report on the hotel, don't know if I can tell you much but here goes....

Bit of a hike from the village, didn't even consider walking - we had a rental car so drove to and from the slopes every day. Taxis in and out at night.

Rooms were spot on, cleaned and fresh towels every day.

Fine breakfast, and friendly staff.

Just visited the bar once while waiting on a taxi to head "downtown". Very quiet, just a handful of people. Thought it funny when I ordered a pint, the barman said "that will be €3.80 please", so I handed him a fiver and he said thank you very much! My mate who was waiting had a good laugh - same happened him but he only gave him €4. Luckily it wasn't a €20 or a €50 I suppose :)

Never used the pool.

Overall had a brilliant few days in Soll, we have already put the wheels in motion for a week in 2016 back home in the local. But next year I'll be hoping to stay within walking distance from the Whiskey Mule etc etc :)

Keep up the good work fanny!

• Advertisement

Ah great, glad you enjoyed! Yeah it's a hike to the village alright, glad that didn't put you off too much! Def worth staying in the village next year- a good rule of thumb is that if it says Dorf in the address its good and central.

Thanks for the heads up about the barman!! Cheeky git lol!

Advertisement