Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three convicted murderers working in Belfast shopping center.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

How did 3 of them end up working at the same place?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ibstar

lertsnim wrote: »

you know... "coincidence"

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

lertsnim wrote: »

It dosen't say but its a bizzare coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It dosen't say but its a bizzare coincidence.

Certainly is. The person in charge of recruiting them should be booted out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,502 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

They did the crime and paid the time. I'd rather they honestly work somewhere than not at all.

They're cutting keys ffs. It's not like they beat 100s of applicants to the role of mattress tester.

• Advertisement

They did the crime and paid the time. I'd rather they honestly work somewhere than not at all.

They're cutting keys ffs. It's not like they beat 100s of applicants to the role of mattress tester.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.They seem to be getting out very early if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Hmm.. sentenced to life but you say they've paid the time. Interesting logic. Nice to see the UK system is as useless as ours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Is the problem that it's a locksmiths and that they might take advantage of this to gain easy access peoples properties? Or that they were working in a public facing job full stop?

The guy who killed Maria McConnell is the most worrying.Not trying to take from what the other two scumbags did but there seemed to be a strong sexual motive to the murder and people who carry out these kind of crimes tend to go on to repeat offend.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/JAILED+FOR+LIFE%3B+Justice+catches+up+with+killer+who+beat+and...-a085343509

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Remember the Maria McConnell case clearly. We were in the same club as her where she met that guy and was killed later than night. So shocking at the time because that kind of murder was supposedly comparatively rare in Belfast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭tritium

I'm actually surprised at how much I'm disliking the papers approach. Basically we have three guys who committed ( undeniable horrible) crimes and went to prison for them. They've now been released on licence (bearing in mind they're not responsible for how the system is administered or whether or not they've served "enough" time). They get productive jobs that could integrate them back into society and there's no indication that they've done anything untoward since release or lied to get the jobs. Equally there's no indication that appropriate post release supervision wasn't in place.

Now some tabloid rag sees an easy public outrage story. It brands them according to the person they were 14 or 15 years ago. Tells us they're crafty liars without any reference to any rehabilitation that may have occurred or remorse they may have shown. Basically it gets the torches and pitchforks and hands them out to their readership.

I know I was a very different person at 20 and 35 for example. I'd like to think that the system at least gives people the potential to change and assesses their ability to do so. We wonder why there is so much recidivism but surely running people out of town when they're trying to fit back into society doesn't help. By all means ensure appropriate supervision and take a stern view on any slip up but what exactly has this paper done for society with this piece?

And by the way I'm far from a liberal

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Is the problem that it's a locksmiths and that they might take advantage of this to gain easy access peoples properties? Or that they were working in a public facing job full stop?

Since one doesn't usually give one's address to the bloke cutting your keys I can only imagine it's the public service role.

TBH I'd kind of rather them cutting my keys than wee Anto who has 47 convictions for burglary.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Gross violation of privacy on the part of the Sunday World. They fuel the fire about "justice" and then when someone is released and given a bit a of a hand to get their sh1t together, they hound them out, effectively leading them back into a life of crime.

It looks like basically there was an oversight at the company;
    Timpson Locksmiths — which employed Colin Boles in a full-time position, and Roy Craig and Conor McCrory in work experience roles — has a reputation for helping some of the most violent criminals behind bars.
    So they operate a work experience/leg-up programme for released offenders. That's a good thing. What probably happened here is that only a handful of people are aware of the backgrounds of those they take from the prison service, and so the two work experience guys were placed together. If Boles has served his sentence and is employed full time I don't really see the issue.

It seems like the company will probably find themselves sued here; the appropriate response would have been to redeploy these guys separately rather than fire them. They were aware of Boles's background, he can probably sue them pretty effectively now.

What the Sunday World has done now is ruin these mens' chances of finding gainful employment and basically driven them back to a life of crime. Well done Sunday World, fighting the good fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

What do we expect convicts to do out of prison? Sit at home in their council house,living off welfare until they die? If they are reformed, there is no harm in them working and contributing to society.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Hmm.. sentenced to life but you say they've paid the time. Interesting logic. Nice to see the UK system is as useless as ours.

So what do you consider paying the time?. They're hardly to blame if the current system isn't harsh enough for your liking. They're actually out on licence so can have the life sentence reactivated if necessary.

While I agree with the fact that they've done their time and should be allowed to rehabilitate themselves into society, there probably is a protocol (and even a risk to them) involved in putting them in conspicuous customer facing positions in the city centre of such a small city where they might be recognized by family or friends of the victims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

Meh.

These guys are responsible for whatever crimes landed them in prison. And I can't think of much that's worse than murder. But if their sentences are too short, the fault is with the legal system, not these three.

Rightly or wrongly, thse guys have been released. Once a person is released from prison, they have a responsibility (like everybody else) to work, to support themselves, to be productive for society. What's the alternative? A life of being supported financially by the rest of us?

If these guys were all in employment in a creche, or the NI police, or for a security company, I'd be outraged. But they're not. They're mending shoes and cutting keys.

I can't think why all three ended up at the same place. Maybe the pay is so bad in the place that the only people who take jobs there are those who can't get any other job. Or maybe the person in HR is a big bleeding-heart liberal. Either way, that's not the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Until Friday afternoon scheming Colin Boles and Roy Craig worked at Timpson Locksmiths at the CastleCourt complex in Belfast city centre, cutting keys and manning the tills.

Lol, such shítty manipulative journalism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

animaal wrote: »
    I can't think why all three ended up at the same place. Maybe the pay is so bad in the place that the only people who take jobs there are those who can't get any other job. Or maybe the person in HR is a big bleeding-heart liberal. Either way, that's not the problem.

Or - the owner of the locksmith company is a multi-millionaire who has a sweet deal going with HRM Prison Service to take on ex-cons as cheap labour doing menial jobs so the Prison Service doesn't have to spend money rehabilitating them or giving them a proper education (they committed their crimes as teenagers), and then when the scheme becomes public knowledge, the owner turns round and says 'Oops, I didn't realise...'

It's hard to know who's worse here really tbh - the Prison Service, the locksmith company, or the tabloid rag.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Laois6556

I don't get this whole reformed character thing. These people killed people, real vicious murders. Do people think that they can go through rehabilitation and re-enter society as normal?
    Think about it. If they have can now see how evil their acts were, how sick and twisted they were and see how much pain and suffering they caused then how can they live with themselves? If we're to believe they are now decent, normal human beings then surely the guilt would be too much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Lol, such shítty manipulative journalism

Can picture him now, cutting keys and murmuring under his breath about his next crime! :mad:

Laois6556 wrote: »
    I don't get this whole reformed character thing. These people killed people, real vicious murders. Do people think that they can go through rehabilitation and re-enter society as normal?
    Think about it. If they have can now see how evil their acts were, how sick and twisted they were and see how much pain and suffering they caused then how can they live with themselves? If we're to believe they are now decent, normal human beings then surely the guilt would be too much.

Yeah but if they really haven't been rehabilitated, having a job cutting keys isn't going to tip the balance. They'e just as likely to re offend if they're on the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Ah yes good work tabloid rag. Take three people who appear to be either rehabilitated or well on the road to becoming so, remove their livelihood and potentially their chances of ever getting work again. Remind me how that's supposed to be in the public interest again?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Absolute rag of a paper, some total scum work there.

They're just pushing these men back into crime. Idiots.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Laois6556

anncoates wrote: »
    Yeah but if they really haven't been rehabilitated, having a job cutting keys isn't going to tip the balance. They'e just as likely to re offend if they're on the dole.

By right these lads should not even have had a chance at rehabilitation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

That piece makes them sound like scooby doo villains.

Where do you draw the one on that so. Is the same true for rapists? Someone who commits GBH? Burglars? At what level should guilt overwhelm us? And what should they do about it? Surely trying to live e a decent life and contribute to society isn't a bad start?

By right these lads should not even have had a chance at rehabilitation.

You're entitled to that view. Society seems to disagree however

• Registered Users Posts: 17,502 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

What alternative do you suggest?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Ruu wrote: »
    Can picture him now, cutting keys and murmuring under his breath about his next crime! :mad:

They're even laughing, maniacally perhaps?
    Secret video footage obtained showed them laughing in the store with an undercover reporter.

:eek::eek:

Advertisement