Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's "Peaceful Protestors" - Pest Control?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

The sooner the first lot get pepper sprayed and baton charged the better.

It really wouldn't.

All the gards would achieve would be making some areas completely no go to them.

I hear reports that the Superintendent in the area is in negotiations with the residents involved with a view of resolving the matter. (my guess is for Irish Water to estimate the houses)

Do you honestly believe that some skull cracking and pepper spraying would be good for Irish Water?

Seriously?

SweetChaos wrote: »
    Who is paying for the call out for ambulances when these protesters get "injured" and they are clogging up an already over-stretched A&E

Amazingly thats how the system works,

You get injured you get treated.

If you dont like it may I suggest you contact your TD and request at the next GE they run on a policy of not allowing ambulances to attend victims unless they are victims that you agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,488 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

It really wouldn't.

All the gards would achieve would be making some areas completely no go to them.

I hear reports that the Superintendent in the area is in negotiations with the residents involved with a view of resolving the matter. (my guess is for Irish Water to estimate the houses)

Do you honestly believe that some skull cracking and pepper spraying would be good for Irish Water?

Seriously?

It would be good for the country, It would show these "protesters" that there is a line and that although they have the right to peaceful protest, once they cross the line there will be consequences.

It would be good for the country, It would show these "protesters" that there is a line and that although they have the right to peaceful protest, once they cross the line there will be consequences.

It would be good for the country if the Gardai could do their jobs instead of acting as Security for Irish Water.

I have seen many instances on those videos of unlawful activity by the Gardai, let alone the protectors!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

Question(s)

If water charges officially start today -
    How are the meters read?
    If your meter was installed 3 months ago, has it been reset to Zero for today? (we know it has not!)
    If it was installed 3 months ago - After 9 months it would have recorded 12 months of usage, how would a possible refund be worked out?
    (Okay you could do a 9/12 allocation, but in fairness it can be justified that they was no reason to monitor water use for the initial 3 months)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭SweetChaos

Amazingly thats how the system works,

You get injured you get treated.

If you dont like it may I suggest you contact your TD and request at the next GE they run on a policy of not allowing ambulances to attend victims unless they are victims that you agree with.

I suppose if the medical card covers it they will all fall down like domino's sure they dont have to pay for the hospital visit it makes me sick, they are wasting peoples time

• Registered Users Posts: 25,488 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

It would be good for the country if the Gardai could do their jobs instead of acting as Security for Irish Water.

I have seen many instances on those videos of unlawful activity by the Gardai, let alone the protectors!

They are not acting as security for IW they are protecting taxpayers while they go about their days work from intimidating and violent thugs. What unlawful activity from the Gardai have you seen?

They are not acting as security for IW they are protecting taxpayers while they go about their days work from intimidating and violent thugs. What unlawful activity from the Gardai have you seen?

Why are the Gardai standing behind barriers without safety gear?
    Why are the Gardai standing behind the barriers at all?
    Why are the Gardai pushing people away from public areas?
    Why are some Garda not wearing identification badges and numbers?
    Why are arrests being made without proper procedure? I.E you are bering arrested under section.....
    Why are the Gardai using irrelevant laws when telling people to move back?
    One Video I watched had a Garda telling the camera operator that she had no right to video under such a section. There were only 2 Gardai and 2 protesters.
    One Video shows a Garda informing member's of the public that he is not there to protect the public.
    Another video shows a Garda laughing at a protester when they request he take a complaint from them.

Lots there if you actually watch the videos.

I suppose if the medical card covers it they will all fall down like domino's sure they dont have to pay for the hospital visit it makes me sick, they are wasting peoples time

So your against the right to protest?

Would you have the same view on those lads from 1916?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

It really wouldn't.

As someone who was born in the north, and lived there for 26 years, I feel I am educated enough on what happens when the police lose public support due to peaceful protests.

But, I'm open to your ideas too. Thankfully the gards don't seem to want to go down that road.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Kippure wrote: »
    Its sad to see so many people accepting defeat.

Do you not know how to stand up for yourselves anymore.

FullStop.

When an oil company forces it way into a small community, it stands up for itself. Just an example buddy.

wprathead.

Im in daily contact with normal people who are enraged about what has happened in Ireland.

Maybe everyone should just bend over and take it eh.

Its frustrating you cant make a positive change to the quality of life in Ireland.

So just bend over. Smile as if you like it or just get use to it.

As a matter of fact. Just stop protesting. Stay inside. Except you will never help bring about change.

Keep paying all your tax,s.

Remember there will be more each year and the year after that etc...

All this advocacy of protest from someone who left the country....Sorry , but in my opinion, once you've left the country you forfeit all right and privileges to complain about government policy or social issues...You're out of it now - If you come back , then we can talk , but until then.....

No one "loves" the government - any government , they are a necessary evil.

Are the current government doing a great job? - No , not at all , they've screwed up many things but they have done quite a few things right.

Bottom line - The decisions/direction being taken by the government , whilst not pleasant and painful in some circumstances are the ONLY viable options available to us in the current circumstances

The fantasy land guff coming from SF , PbP et al is beyond ridiculous and would do nothing but make things ultimately worse.

Of course I wish that the government were more efficient is doing what they do , of course I wish that the bull**** cronyism wasn't going on - But does that mean that I want blood in the streets and rebellion?? No it doesn't..

There are NO alternatives to the choices being made today so I will continue to accept them until I see genuine realistic alternatives.

Voting for me has always been, broadly speaking, about choosing the lesser of the evils - All politicians, by their nature are conniving self serving arseholes.

And right now , the current government , crap as they are , are most definitely the lesser of the evils.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

There is no way you can compare the The 1916 rising to water meter protests.

jamesbere wrote: »
    There is no way you can compare the The 1916 rising to water meter protests.

Why not?

Do you think 1916 just happened?

It built from protest, people were sick of being treated like slaves.

These people have every right to protest about water charges.

We already paid for water.
    In some areas water is unfit to drink.
    Some people simply cant afford water charges.
    Some people have issues with fluoride in the water.
    Some people have issues with the radiation emitted from the meter.
    Some people have issues with the safety of the meter installation.

There are many reasons for people to protest.

Why are arrests being made without proper procedure? I.E you are bering arrested under section.....
    One Video I watched had a Garda telling the camera operator that she had no right to video under such a section. There were only 2 Gardai and 2 protesters.

Those videos are heavily edited to suit your needs but of course the protesters are angels putting up online the home address of the workers threatening them, putting them in fear of their and their family's safety posting their pics and insulting their looks and laughing over them the residents of the area also are not happy and have made complaints to the Guards and ye are not happy that you dont have the run of the place anymore to be let do what you want with no consequence. The Guards need to get tougher with you whingers

No Im not against protesting when it is done right
    Im against a pack of hooligans getting personal going after their private homes of TD's and ordinary workers and acting like thugs
    What has 1916 got to do with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Why not?

Some people have issues with the radiation emitted from the meter.
    Some people have issues with the safety of the meter installation.

Jaysus I could have the next Chernobyl on my driveway.

=Quin_Dub;92425299]All this advocacy of protest from someone who left the country....Sorry , but in my opinion, once you've left the country you forfeit all right and privileges to complain about government policy or social issues...You're out of it now - If you come back , then we can talk , but until then.....

So people forced to leave have no right to have any interest in the country they want to come home too?

No one "loves" the government - any government , they are a necessary evil.

So all governments are evil? Heres a novel idea why not have a government who puts the interests of the people first?
    Are the current government doing a great job? - No , not at all , they've screwed up many things but they have done quite a few things right.

Love to hear what right things they have done!
    Bottom line - The decisions/direction being taken by the government , whilst not pleasant and painful in some circumstances are the ONLY viable options available to us in the current circumstances

Really? Charging people for water that is already paid for was there only option?
    The fantasy land guff coming from SF , PbP et al is beyond ridiculous and would do nothing but make things ultimately worse.

Really? One of the policies of SF is to actually collect the corporation tax we claim to charge, effective corporation tax is nowhere near the levels is should be.
    Of course I wish that the government were more efficient is doing what they do , of course I wish that the bull**** cronyism wasn't going on - But does that mean that I want blood in the streets and rebellion?? No it doesn't..

You only get rebellions when people can no longer afford to exist. Charging for water in many cases is the final straw for many people.
    There are NO alternatives to the choices being made today so I will continue to accept them until I see genuine realistic alternatives.

Plenty of alternatives, millionaire tax for starters.
    Voting for me has always been, broadly speaking, about choosing the lesser of the evils - All politicians, by their nature are conniving self serving arseholes.

Then you vote for the wrong reasons, if you dont like the choices then stand yourself.
    And right now , the current government , crap as they are , are most definitely the lesser of the evils.....

Really? You think screwing the poorest people of the country time and time again is the answer? Especially when we hear that the current government are going to be exempt from water charges themselves on 2nd homes?

No Im not against protesting when it is done right
    Im against a pack of hooligans getting personal going after their private homes of TD's and ordinary workers and acting like thugs
    What has 1916 got to do with this?

Yea, not like the 1916 lot who shot people in their homes!

Any of those videos show you that people are peacefully protesting, I certainly dont see anyone using physical violence against the Gardai of the workers of Irish water.

In fact the only thing they seem to want to do is to stop the work by standing in the working area.

Violent thugs?

kona wrote: »
    Jaysus I could have the next Chernobyl on my driveway.

You need to educate yourself, look at the dangers of Radon gas for instance.

But hey ho, if your happy with your water being subject to a meter that gives off radiation to your water supply then power to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

You need to educate yourself, look at the dangers of Radon gas for instance.

But hey ho, if your happy with your water being subject to a meter that gives off radiation to your water supply then power to you.

Yes I need to educate myself about the link between radiation , radon gas and a water meter.

• Advertisement

kona wrote: »
    Yes I need to educate myself about the link between radiation , radon gas and a water meter.

FACT- The meters being installed give off radiation.

“The ‘Smart’ Meter is #1 in terms of devastation to our nervous system… [the radiation] permanently destroys and alters the manufacture of brain proteins … meaning that it completely changes the human organism – permanently”

Dr. Dietrich Klinghardt MD PhD

Do you support this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Proof?

Listen to the Sean O'Rourke podcast from yesterday. They had a journalist out in Bray visiting some of them and he confirmed that PBP were involved there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

“The ‘Smart’ Meter is #1 in terms of devastation to our nervous system… [the radiation] permanently destroys and alters the manufacture of brain proteins … meaning that it completely changes the human organism – permanently”

Do you support this?

So is my phone....... And yours yes you all have a right to protest but not to intimidate workers and block roads

jank wrote: »
    Listen to the Sean O'Rourke podcast from yesterday. They had a journalist out in Bray visiting some of them and he confirmed that PBP were involved there.

And how were they involved?

Providing supports, or beating Gardai around the head?

Yea, not like the 1916 lot who shot people in their homes!

Any of those videos show you that people are peacefully protesting, I certainly dont see anyone using physical violence against the Gardai of the workers of Irish water.

In fact the only thing they seem to want to do is to stop the work by standing in the working area.

Violent thugs?

This is a protest against water charges 2014 not 1916 I think you might be romanticizing about the past and trying to recreate it? You fancy yourself as the next Michael Collins?
    Society has moved on leaps and bounds and a statement like that is actually terrifying that you think its ok to barrage peoples private homes "because cause in 1916 the shot them in their homes" thats not peaceful protesting. Anyone that you dont agree with you descend on their homes

sjb25 wrote: »
    So is my phone....... And yours yes you all have a right to protest but not to intimidate workers and block roads

Do you drink from your phone?

As for the workers, can anyone actually show how these workers have any legal right to dig up public footpath and roads?

One video showed a protester walking up to an Irish water official and asking him fro this same information, he said if they could show him legal documentation giving them access to the public road and footpaths to install meters then they would call of the protest.

Guess what, they couldn't show a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Do you support this?

Lols.

I trust you have rid your home of a microwave oven & cell phones..... All electrical circuitry tbh.

Fact: everything gives off radiation.

Enough of this sillyness.

This is a protest against water charges 2014 not 1916 I think you might be romanticizing about the past and trying to recreate it? You fancy yourself as the next Michael Collins?
    Society has moved on leaps and bounds and a statement like that is actually terrifying that you think its ok to barrage peoples private homes "because cause in 1916 the shot them in their homes" thats not peaceful protesting. Anyone that you dont agree with you descend on their homes

The point im trying to make is this.

Do you support what those lads in 1916 did?

Yes we have moved on since then, but the crux is that people still have the right to protest, and so far the protests I have seen are peaceful.

They certainly arent violent in anyway and anything unlawful has come from the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

One Video shows a Garda informing member's of the public that he is not there to protect the public.
    Another video shows a Garda laughing at a protester when they request he take a complaint from them.

Gardai are wearing hi vis and safety boots!!! What you want them to wear and anyway any emergency service be it garda ambulance or fire service can enter construction sites or any restricted area to carry out there duty it like asking them for a safe pass if somebody is injured all them videos all gardai have numbers visible

What's proper procedure to arrest thugs the should be giving them more of a kicking than they are to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I don't understand why the OP is'nt out there letting these protesters know the score face to face. I mean he sounds like a proper hard case.

Advertisement