Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's "Peaceful Protestors" - Pest Control?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,898 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Is grammar Nazism still against the charter?

Anyway. Why are the gards getting involved in this dispute anyway, if a group of residents don't want meters installed in their estate, why are the Garda intervening?

I.W have said they will estimate bills for those not metered. They should go and move on to the next Estate and install away there to their hearts content.

The gards are not a private security firm.

What grammar Nazism??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Dean0088 wrote: »
    Well then enlighten me. If I'm in the dark here, show me something.

Where is this massive revolution we've all been hearing about since 2008 coming from?

My original point was that I think garda time is being wasted following around Irish Water. It's the fault of protesters who have attached and disrupted totally legal works for no reason. These works are going to be continuing for the next year in major cities, so I think garda time could be better spent elsewhere.

Your dead right. What are the gardai doing?
    This isn't a thread about immigration. Sorry. Back to the thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Kippure wrote: »
    And it comes from Labour FF FG SF, etc none of which represent the Irish people.

If the democratically elected representatives don't account for "de Oirish paiple" then you and your ilk clearly aren't getting out and f8cking voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Your dead right. What are the gardai doing?
    This isn't a thread about immigration. Sorry. Back to the thread title.

:confused:

I never mentioned immigration? I don't see how it's relevant to this...

AFAIK, the gardaí are fulfilling their legal requirement to protect workers who came under attack, and to keep tabs on the hundreds of people roaming around housing estates blocking roads and intimidating people.

The inferences that the gardaí are acting as private security are laughable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

What grammar Nazism??

Sorry wasn't aimed at you.

Wrong thread.

• Advertisement

donvito99 wrote: »
    If the democratically elected representatives don't account for "de Oirish paiple" then you and your ilk clearly aren't getting out and f8cking voting.

Well done.
    So you noticed people don't vote anymore.
    Why is that?
    Cause its pointless.
    Has anything changed in Ireland?
    No.
    Didn't think so.

Well done.
    Why is that?
    Cause its pointless.
    No.
    Didn't think so.

Why are you speaking in verse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Hold the Cheez Whiz

because having it come from income tax is cheeper for all. people often pay the same for more of a service then someone who doesn't get as much of a service. the gambling debt water charge will bring undo hardship upon struggling families bringing them closer to eviction as they find it more difficult to pay their mortgages that they are struggling to pay in the first place. so frankly if someone is paying the same regardless of usage of water thats fine as long as it comes from the income tax which it should be

What? No. Why should someone who conserves a limited resource pay the same rate as someone who does not. Should we all pay the same rate for electrical use as well? Why should water be treated differently from electricity?

Well done.
    Why is that?
    Cause its pointless.
    No.
    Didn't think so.

Turnout was 70% in 2011...

I'm noticing a trend here. You make a lot of points but then fail to actually back anything up. In fact, you often just outright lie.

Irish people vote, particularly when times are bad. Protest votes increased support for the left recently. The fact remains that the majority, while not happy with the current situation, see only a measured approach can get us out of it.

:confused:

I never mentioned immigration? I don't see how it's relevant to this...

AFAIK, the gardaí are fulfilling their legal requirement to protect workers who came under attack, and to keep tabs on the hundreds of people roaming around housing estates blocking roads and intimidating people.

The inferences that the gardaí are acting as private security are laughable.

The best thing you can do now is give 80% of your wages away.

Are you protesting. Are you just going to accept what an Irish politician tells you.

Lie down.

Let the Irish government do what ever they want to you.

You can live on jam sandwichs.

Think about it.

• Advertisement

"You can live on jam sandwichs.

Think about it."

That's going on my tombstone. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Yogosan

Karl Stein wrote: »
    It needs to happen? Irish water is ideologically driven.

They could have taken the money it took to set up Irish Water and used it to modernise the water supply infrastructure. Modernising the water supply infrastructure would have generated thousands of jobs for unemployed construction workers who'd be spending their wages in local restaurants, shops and bars which would have raised aggregate demand across the country.
    What are you talking about? Irish footpaths were desperately in need of being dug up. Where do you think they get all those cracks and potholes from, the money fairy? Get your priorities straight man. :pac:

Turnout was 70% in 2011...

I'm noticing a trend here. You make a lot of points but then fail to actually back anything up. In fact, you often just outright lie.

Irish people vote, particularly when times are bad. Protest votes increased support for the left recently. The fact remains that the majority, while not happy with the current situation, see only a measured approach can get us out of it.

I haven't lied about anything in this thread buddy.

Don't be silly.

I haven't lied about anything in this thread buddy.

Don't be silly.

You said that the elected parliament of Ireland wasn't representative of the Irish people. As well as being wrong you were lying when you said that.

donvito99 wrote: »
    You said that the elected parliament of Ireland wasn't representative of the Irish people. As well as being wrong you were lying when you said that.

It isn't representative of the Irish people.

Its just an illusion...

Now your going to throw a bunch of stats at me......

Have you been living under ground.

Every man women on the street hates the government.

There is nothing but bad news scandal etc every day about the Irish government.

You need to get out of the house and see whats going on buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

What? No. Why should someone who conserves a limited resource pay the same rate as someone who does not.

because having a non limited resource which people only use what they need come from income tax is cheeper for all and not having a charge means people don't see the money or miss it. nobody is conserving a "limited resource" they use what they need. limited resource me arse.
    Why should water be treated differently from electricity?

because water is not electricity or a commodity but a vital human right and not something that people should be bullied into buying just to keep a DOB company in business, cronies in a job, or to be bought and sold in general. its nothing to do with electricity which if it came to it people could live without. fair play to those who don't pay, they will have extra money for their mortgages meaning them being a little less likely to be evicted rather then paying a gambling debt charge and being close to eviction

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Its just an illusion...

If all the people that have left Ireland have the kind of intelligence that you are displaying on this thread then we are not missing much.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,488 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Its just an illusion...

I don't.

I never voted for them but i think they are doing the best job they can. I guess that blows your arguement out of the water.

Unfortunately for Ireland, I don't think Kippure holds the magical solution as he claims. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Here it is: Once the garda car leaves, a group of 6-8 people (from a group of 30+) close in on the car. A couple of really brave lads decide to kick the car too and one top heavy idiot falls over.

These protesters are the kind of people that ruin many areas of Dublin with anti social behavior and generally acting like idiots. And yet they're actually being cast as heros here. :eek: :mad:

I don't know how many times I have posted on Boards defending Dublin and Dubs from criticism from our country brethren. Then I see something like this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

I don't.

I never voted for them but i think they are doing the best job they can. I guess that blows your arguement out of the water.

I would be centre right leaning politically but how can you not see that corruption and cronyism is rife with this shower. IW is a prime example. They don't even care any more as they further impoverish the Irish people. Yes economic indicators show the economy is recovering but at the expense of the quality of life. You only have to look at our 3rd world healthcare system. They are selling us out!! God help us in the next GE. We have nowhere to turn as it stands. And now all we have left, our Corporate tax rate is being attacked. If we lose that we are screwed imo and i wouldn't put it past this shower to screw us over for personal gain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Hold the Cheez Whiz

because having a non limited resource which people only use what they need come from income tax is cheeper for all and not having a charge means people don't see the money or miss it. nobody is conserving a "limited resource" they use what they need. limited resource me arse.

because water is not electricity or a commodity but a vital human right and not something that people should be bullied into buying just to keep a DOB company in business, cronies in a job, or to be bought and sold in general. its nothing to do with electricity which if it came to it people could live without. fair play to those who don't pay, they will have extra money for their mortgages meaning them being a little less likely to be evicted rather then paying a gambling debt charge and being close to eviction

Not having a charge generally means that people tend to overuse it. But I can see from your rhetoric that there is no point in continuing this further.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Here it is: Once the garda car leaves, a group of 6-8 people (from a group of 30+) close in on the car. A couple of really brave lads decide to kick the car too and one top heavy idiot falls over.

These protesters are the kind of people that ruin many areas of Dublin with anti social behavior and generally acting like idiots. And yet they're actually being cast as heros here. :eek: :mad:

Not sure why these geniuses are protesting water charges.

Part of that money will probably end up paying for the dole that allows them to do **** all day other than purchase those beautiful tracksuits that no one over the age of 16 should be wearing.

Why is it always the most useless burdens in society who end up protesting stuff like this?

Presume they don't realize that things in general actually cost money to run.

"O'im entitled to me do-wal!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

The video of the crowd harassing the woman in the OP is fúcking disgraceful. She's heading to work to be taxed to pay their dole, so they can príck around with whatever the Cause of the Week is.

Absolute idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

They do be watching too much football. One tap and they are down on the ground doing the Sergio Busquets routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I wouldn't be happy to have one of those rentamobs show up outside my front door to be perfectly honest. I'd turn the hose on them but now that'd cost me money...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

That's your solution? Raise income tax? That'll go down really well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

So, basically you don't like

I didn't say I didn't like it I challenged your 'needs to happen' dogma.
    the solution every other modern country in the northern hemisphere and beyond has taken,

That's a non-argument.
    think Ireland is a special country that can come up with it's own innovatie way of making the water infrastructure pay for itself?

There's the ideology rearing its head again 'It must pay for itself'. Isn't it a pity we didn't apply the same standards to the supposedly private banks?
    Because that's all I've heard from the left so far.
    I'm open to all sides on this debate

As is evidenced above you've already decided that opposition to Irish Water is 'left'. It seems to me that setting up what amounts to a private bureaucracy, with loads of jobs for the boys, is not a very fiscally conservative thing to do.

Another thing, if we had good negotiators we could have went to the EU and said "here lads, there's a really good way of pump-priming the Irish economy so that Ireland can be held up as an example of 'the good boy'. Throw a few hundred million in grants at Irish infrastructure projects"...
    Surely this is exactly what's happening now with installing meters

No. Installing meters is small beans compared to a massive stimulative infrastructure project that would be upgrading the entire water supply infrastructure.
    It was recommended by the Troika, EU and IMF. It was a laughable situation for Ireland to be in.

Insisted upon I'd say. 'We give you monies to bail out our mates (banks/bond-holders) and you give away/sell off the family silver'. All win for the boys with the suits on.
    The only mistake made was that it wasn't implemented when the boom was still going strong.

Ireland should have banked loads of dosh when the Celtic Pyramid was booming and then released it in tax cuts and infrastructure projects when it collapsed. That would be sane anti-cyclical economic policy rather than throwing petrol on the fire when it was roaring and then throwing water on it as it was going out.
    I mentioned "civil war" because many of these left groups repeatedly call for "revolution" - despite the fact that every general election shows majority support for center, responsible policies.
    [W]hat country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?

Thomas Jefferson
    My real fear is that when you gather a load of local idiots in one area, and the gardaí treat them with kid gloves, they can grow braver and braver. One incident could spark a situation like London 2011 riots.

Don't mistake an acorn falling on your head for the entire sky crashing down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

That's your solution? Raise income tax? That'll go down really well.

The people protesting in these videos will never have to worry about income tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

There is a under ground swell of Pure hatred for the Government past and present in Ireland of course but abroad too.

The feelings abroad are quite frightening. People want blood.

JAYSUS- Kip there is alot of strong rhetoric here - people don't "want blood" nor does everyone "on the street hates the governement". I'm not entirely sure who is filling you in of all this when you're living abroad but you are surely swallowing their propaganda..

Place is far far faaaaaaaaaaaar from perfect now mind but if you talking to people who "want blood" I suggest you reevaluate the people you in contact with..;)

Advertisement