Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X-Men Apocalypse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

No they don't ....Marvel has successfully brought in most of the costumes with a more true to life look to them in there movies , Fox just seem deadset against it , except in Deadpool because they pretty much thought that was going to fail anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

I don't think very bright or luminous colours translate well into the film screen. Yellow especially but also green to a lesser extent. So people like Wolverine and rogue would look strange in my opinion. Red and blue are much more aesthetic imo, the darker the better. Deadpool had a darkish shade of red, ditto Ironman, Captain America has a darker shade of blue, Black panther has black (obviously) etc. Maybe I'm wrong but I can't imagine someone in bright yellow costume not looking ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Disappointing to read the reviews but it seems to be the genre or "niche" sites that are giving it a gutting.

The Guardian didn't give it a terrible review while still viewing it as average.

I don't think Fox expected this reaction given they lifted the embargo this early.

45% on Rottentomatoes and 50% on Metacritic. Ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 josh_96

I'm actually surprised by the reviews the film is getting, looking at the trailers it looks decent maybe thought there does seem to be a introduction to alot of characters to the previous film anyway i'll probably still go and see it being a fan of the franchise and all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Oh no, that's disappointing. FC and DoFP were both great so it's a pity to see the series stumble again. Hopefully it's not all that bad though... I'll still be going to see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Well giving the over the top praise for civil war and the over the top criticism of batman v superman, i say **** the critics

I don't think it's that easy though. I mean, they raved over DoFP, didn't they?

Then again.. it did fall in 2014, when the only other big budget superhero movie was Winter Soldier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

X Men should be such an easy one to get right, there's some great stories to choose from, DoFP being one.

Chris Stuckman is stunned at the negativity. He seems to have the same tastes as I do, so staying hopeful

• Advertisement

TBH is it more to do with superhero fatigue than anything else? In the past 12 months alone we've had.. Civil War, BvS, this, Deadpool, Suicide Squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Trailers didn't look great IMO, especially the last one, so not a huge surprise its reviewing poorly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Trailers didn't look great IMO, especially the last one, so not a huge surprise its reviewing poorly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

TBH is it more to do with superhero fatigue than anything else? In the past 12 months alone we've had.. Civil War, BvS, this, Deadpool, Suicide Squad.

Getting ahead of yourself with Suicide Squad there. I don't think this year is any different to other years with the amount of Superhero movies on the horizon, especially with Deadpool and Civil Wars receiving rave reviews critically and from fans.

Chris Stuckman is stunned at the negativity. He seems to have the same tastes as I do, so staying hopeful

Film criticism is more or less commodified now and I'm utterly exhausted over this obsession with the "RT-o-meter" and the desperation to be part of the concensus.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,180 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

There's probably some sort of conspiracy at play here, there's no way the critics would actually review a film poorly because it isn't very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

ricero wrote: »
    Well giving the over the top praise for civil war and the over the top criticism of batman v superman, i say **** the critics

The praise for civil war has been a bit OTT. i loved it but id have to watch it again to see if its one of the best yet.

BvsS didn't get enough critcism truly terrible film.

Suprised by the bad reviews and do hope its critics being Di***

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 RealiTea

Looks good, hopefully Wolverine is too, but that is doubtful

Mickeroo wrote: »
    There's probably some sort of conspiracy at play here, there's no way the critics would actually review a film poorly because it isn't very good.

You can make the tin foil hat barb if you want, no skin off my nose.

But when I see some hack moaning about the amount of prosthetics on Oscar Isaac's face, when he's playing a character that really leaves no other recourse but to go that route, I have to roll my eyes. It's lazy criticism that someone could make based off the trailer alone and offers nothing in terms of anything worthwhile.

The Guardian also made a comment about lacking the "loose wit" of the MCU which is just utterly irrelevant. It goes back to my old criticism of films of only a certain type being acceptable within this genre, with the mcu being the standard bearer. Anything more dire in tone and it's unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

When James McAvoy shaved his head, he wasn't alone ...

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    You can make the tin foil hat barb if you want, no skin off my nose.

But when I see some hack moaning about the amount of prosthetics on Oscar Isaac's face, when he's playing a character that really leaves no other recourse but to go that route, I have to roll my eyes. It's lazy criticism that someone could make based off the trailer alone and offers nothing in terms of anything worthwhile.

The Guardian also made a comment about lacking the "loose wit" of the MCU which is just utterly irrelevant. It goes back to my old criticism of films of only a certain type being acceptable within this genre, with the mcu being the standard bearer. Anything more dire in tone and it's unacceptable.

Is it not more likely that they're not good critics rather than they're conspiring against anything that not's Marvel. I mean, the Guardian reviewer bemoans the recasting of Famke Janssen, because casting a woman in her fifties to play the teenage version of the character she played in her 30s makes loads of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i really couldnt give a toss what the critics say about this one.

if ANY storyline was gonna piss them off it'll be this one as apocalypse as the villain is going faaaaar more comic book than this franchise has done so far.

it could still be shyte, but the lads behind it have built up enough credit with me to give em a chance.

plus i absolutely believe theyre sick and tired of this genre.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

To be fair, three huge tent pole superhero films - 4 if you include Deadpool and its box office success - in the space of 2 or 3 months is enough to tire any professional critic not throughly enthused about the genre.

Even I'm feeling a little bewildered, I genuinely thought Apocalypse might have appeared at the other end of summer as to distance itself a little from the main DC / MCU fare. I can appreciate why some people might feel a little done.

I hope Apocalypse is better than initial reviews are suggesting, but I guess there's always the risk the studio screwed the pooch after the success of Days of Future Past (which I think was the most gloriously comic book of comic book movies thus far)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Don't really care what the critics say but this film looked bad from the start and looked worse in each trailer.

It looks like a straight to TV sequel or something, I can't quite put my finger on it but it looks really cheap.

I'll still see it at some stage, but not expecting much.

The Guardian gets it wrong on many levels.
    Famke Vs Jackman (ignoring that it's a teen Grey Vs near immortal Logan)
    No similar outrage against the casting of Cyclops or Nightcrawler
    Apocalypse size is unimportant FFS
    Joyless Vs Avengers. Not every Superhero film wants to be, or should be, quippy RDJ esque

Also rates it that same 3/5 as he did DOFP so take it from there and both read as plot summaries as opposed to reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

The bad reviews are a conspiracy I tell ya, a Disney led conspiracy >:[

http://observationdeck.kinja.com/bad-apocalypse-reviews-a-conspiracy-1776057851

lol... jk. I'm cautiously optimistic because DoFP was such a good movie, but that was helped by the gimmick of having two well known set of cast members available to play the same characters. This has a way too over make upped Oscar Issacs. Why get such a talented actor and bury them under shiney bright blue prosthetics. Here looks like something out of power rangers.

Honestly I thought he looked more intimidating in Ex Machina. All they needed to do was shave his head and maybe the trademark lines around apocalypses mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 17 josh_96

My first thought when i saw oscar isaac in character has apocalypse was he looks like ivan ooze from power rangers as well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Why bury under prostehtics ? amm because that's the characters look wouldn't be any point playing him in the movie as just a normal guy

Apocalypse is larger than life, I do agree it still doesn't look right though the way Fox have done it but you could not have Apocalypse be played as some random guy with a shaved head no way

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I'm getting to see this on Monday and for some reason security will be heavy, confiscating phones, patrons advised not to bring them if they want to avoid the bother. I don't see the point of this as it's only two days in advance of general release, all the reviews are out there & they are bad, it's not the biggest hyped movie of the year and there doesn't appear to be any major twists getting mentioned in the press or speculation.

It's not bloody Episode VII like!

• Advertisement

I'm getting to see this on Monday and for some reason security will be heavy, confiscating phones, patrons advised not to bring them if they want to avoid the bother. I don't see the point of this as it's only two days in advance of general release, all the reviews are out there & they are bad, it's not the biggest hyped movie of the year and there doesn't appear to be any major twists getting mentioned in the press or speculation.

It's not bloody Episode VII like!

It's actually pretty standard for early screenings like that. Used to work in a cinema years ago and the distributor sent out their own security guard when we had an advanced screening of a movie like that.

This one even had night vision goggles so he could scan the crowd!

No, really. He ended up leaving a pair behind and it resulted in a game of hide and go seek game being played by some staff in a pitch black screen.

Advertisement