Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X-Men Apocalypse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I've been reading X-Men comics since I was a kid pretty much, and feel that the movies were ruined quite a while back. I thought the trailer for this was a big pile of shiny **** when it was shown, so not really surprised at the negative reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

It's actually pretty standard for early screenings like that. Used to work in a cinema years ago and the distributor sent out their own security guard when we had an advanced screening of a movie like that.

This one even had night vision goggles so he could scan the crowd!

No, really. He ended up leaving a pair behind and it resulted in a game of hide and go seek game being played by some staff in a pitch black screen.

I've not been to many previews but was at Interstellar, which people were more in the dark about the story and where things may go with that movie, reviews weren't out at the time, and not a thing with security. Just find it strange is all.

I guess it differs distributor to distributor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

So apparently at some point in the movie they all kidnapped and end up at the weapon X facility which is where they meet Wolverine. Why do they constantly have to go back to that place it's like Singer has a hard on for the Weapon X storyline

Spoilery above ......But ya I'm going to see it but don't have high hopes for it really and I liked DOFP and 1st Class and the trailers have all looked crap

So apparently at some point in the movie they all kidnapped and end up at the weapon X facility which is where they meet Wolverine. Why do they constantly have to go back to that place it's like Singer has a hard on for the Weapon X storyline

Because Brian Singer
    wants to get Hugh Jackman naked again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Because Brian Singer
    wants to get Hugh Jackman naked again.
    who doesn't . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

It's at 58% right now on RT (started in the 20s) which is respectable if not disappointing. It looks like the early reviews were heavily weighed towards the negative, while the reviews released afterwards were positive.

That's the only way explain such a dramatic change in score which doesn't typically happen. Once the early reviews establish the RT score it doesn't change all that much.

The disappointing thing though is that the early reviews have probably nailed this film to the wall in terms of box office.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,180 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I haven't seen many reviews saying it was awful though, just enjoyable enough but disappointing in that it didn't really do anything new with the x-men, even the guardian review that was mentioned here wasn't particularly negative.

I dislike crap like this though, judge a film on its own merits and not some imaginary arbitrary rules and comparisons to films that it is not attempting to be

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,180 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I dislike crap like this though, judge a film on its own merits and not some imaginary arbitrary rules and comparisons to films that it is not attempting to be

It just said it lacked the "joyful, looser wit of the avengers" or something along those lines,that's a perfectly valid thing to say if someone thinks it's true particularly since they're the same genre and very similar franchises within that genre in terms of tone and content. Ifs no different to someone pointing out they thought a gangster movie lacked the "sharp witty dialogue of Goodfellas" or an action movie lacked the "visceral thrills of the Raid". It wasnt a particularly insightful or well written review but that kind of thing is standard enough review writing Imo and it was pretty harmless as far as I could see.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It just said it lacked the "joyful, looser wit of the avengers" or something along those lines,that's a perfectly valid thing to say if someone thinks it's true particularly since they're the same genre and very similar franchises within that genre in terms of tone and content. Ifs no different to someone pointing out they thought a gangster movie lacked the "sharp witty dialogue of Goodfellas" or an action movie lacked the "visceral thrills of the Raid". It wasnt a particularly insightful or well written review but that kind of thing is standard enough review writing Imo and it was pretty harmless as far as I could see.

Haven't seen it obviously but previous Xmen were never Avengers quippy.
    It's its own universe and should be judged as such, it predates Avengers by a decade FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Mickeroo wrote: »

It is a pretty bizarre and lazy criticism to make considering we've already had two 'modern' X men movies where the tone has been established and another three that are vaguely related to it. It would be like, for example, let's say hypothetically there's a movie about a golfer with some sort of serious issue, lets say a drug problem, and has to overcome this if he wants to salvage his career. The film doesn't shy away from gritty aspects of addiction etc. Then a reviewer criticises saying it doesn't have the charm of Happy Gilmore. I mean yeah X Men and The Avengers are both superhero movies but X Men isn't lighthearted, it never had quippy dialogue between the superheroes. In DoFP you were dealing with essentially genocide of the mutants. In the Avengers, at its core its only presented as: Bad guy wants to take over the world. They're both different and you can prefer one style over the other but it's not a valid criticism to say it's not light hearted enough or in other words not similar enough to the Avengers. Particularly when it has preceded the Avengers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

The funny thing is that of the positive reviews I've read, the compliment the humour in the film.

The new cast and Quicksilver were also praised.

It seemed like the general criticism was of the focus being on Xavier, Magneto and Mystique yet again. Unfortunately Apocalypse seemed to be another negative.

Ah sure I'm still looking forward to it immensely.

Ben Gadot wrote: »

It seemed like the general criticism was of the focus being on Xavier, Magneto and Mystique yet again.

This is one which I can understand. Fox have never been able to balance the Xmen cast load.

From Jackman, Jansen and Berry to the above. This is something that Avengers gets right

It is a pretty bizarre and lazy criticism to make considering we've already had two 'modern' X men movies where the tone has been established and another three that are vaguely related to it. It would be like, for example, let's say hypothetically there's a movie about a golfer with some sort of serious issue, lets say a drug problem, and has to overcome this if he wants to salvage his career. The film doesn't shy away from gritty aspects of addiction etc. Then a reviewer criticises saying it doesn't have the charm of Happy Gilmore. I mean yeah X Men and The Avengers are both superhero movies but X Men isn't lighthearted, it never had quippy dialogue between the superheroes. In DoFP you were dealing with essentially genocide of the mutants. In the Avengers, at its core its only presented as: Bad guy wants to take over the world. They're both different and you can prefer one style over the other but it's not a valid criticism to say it's not light hearted enough or in other words not similar enough to the Avengers. Particularly when it has preceded the Avengers

He didn't criticise it for not being light hearted enough though, he made a remark about wit while praising some of the humourous scenes that are in the film and while criticising it for not giving the characters enough room to breath. All they did was cite a pretty similar film to get a point across. Your analogy doesn't really work imo because a serious drama about a golfer isn't the same as a low brow comedy about a golfer, the differences between the avengers and the xmen films are pretty skin deep in comparison. There's a bit more thematically going on in xmen and the villains have been better with a more palpable threat about them but that's it really as far as I can see. I think the sense of urgency and threat we got in DofP is something that's lacking from Avengers and I would see that as a valid criticism of Avengers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 josh_96

I'll be going to see this film on friday, even though the reviews are mixed im still looking forward to seeing it.

Saw this tonight. Was writing a more in depth post but I had just too much to rant. It's not great but I was entertained though the cinema was baltic. I am not crazy about this set of XMen movies although they are watchable but leave me with loads of complaints.
    Apocalypse is poor and totally off, no fault to Oscar Isaac.
    His 4 Horsemen were useless to him bar Magneto's power.
    For all the cool footage I'd seen of Olivia Munn in training, looking bad ass, she is so underused and has as much action as she has words to say.
    Storm is crap.
    Jean Grey is still a teenager, not going out with Scott yet nor in a love triangle with Wolverine yet the Phoenix storyline is already looking like it's set up to happen soon.
    Stryker shows up seconds after a blast in the Mansion and this had to lead into Wolverine's escape. It was a totally unnecessary subplot just to have Hugh Jackman in it. His escape may have his biggest amount of kills yet, I've not seen The Wolverine I should note.
    Given J Law is Mystique/Raven, they have to make her a Katniss like clone. It's stuff like this that makes me wish these films were totally separate to what came before.
    Magneto helps the XMen cause of the 'family' speech and then just ups and leaves them again though he's got no actual family anymore. It's just annoying now. He'll go away and find another reason to be bad/fight the XMen while still being a friend.
    I'd go on and on but I'd rather watch Silicon valley instead of wasting any more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Just back from it.

I think I enjoyed it.

A lot going on, kinda thought it would never end, but that could be due to it being a midnight showing and me being wrecked :rolleyes:

Loved: (minor spoiler/not really a spoiler)
    Quicksilver's scene. Tuuuune

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

While watching it I was bit disappointed but now ive had time to think about it I'm downright annoyed. I enjoyed first class and days of future past but this is definitely the worst of the 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

As a massive fan of the X-men... the reports that this film is going to be a bit Meh, doesn t surprise me...

Batman Begins............... Very Good
    The Dark Knight............. Excellent
    The Dark Knight Rises..... Disappointing

X-Men........................... Excellent
    X2 X-Men United............ Very Good
    X3 The Last Stand........... Disappointing

X-Men First Class.................. Very Good
    X-Men Days of Future Past..... Excellent
    X-Men Apocalypse ................ Disappointing

Saying that... Maybe there is hope for the new Worlverine Movie..
    X-Men Origins Wolverine ......... Beyond Disappointing
    The Wolverine ........................ Very Good
    Old Man Logan ....................... Excellent..??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

They should have called it X-Meh Apocolypse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Roar wrote: »
    They should have called it X-Meh Apocolypse

CiuVsMzWkAAm3f5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

McLoughlin wrote: »
    CiuVsMzWkAAm3f5.jpg

Amazing.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

It's not good I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

It's entertaining, but a little cheesy. The younger actors don't have the same gravitas as their older counterparts, it just shows the value of experience!

I'm a big fan of Apocalypse, but he was totally devoid of charisma. His Horsemen were utterly forgettable as well.
    The Quicksilver scene was great, but lacked the impact of the one in DoFP. And the Wolverine cameo felt like they were just ticking a box, especially the way they forced his bond with Jean. No real heart, much like the links they made in Origins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Sadface

It was going so well after FC and DoFP.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Yeah, I was a bit surprised considering the job Singer did with X-Men, X2 and DOFP. I assumed superhero fatigue might explain the reviews a bit but it’s not the case at all. It’s just not a well-made film.

The script generally lacks nuance and is extremely clunky in places. There were quite a few occasions when it produced laughs unintentionally which is never a good sign. A couple of the actors were very short-changed by the script; Fassbender in particular had to deliver a couple of turkeys. In fact Magneto’s whole story in the film was badly handled.
    We’ve had several films to establish Magneto’s motivations at this stage, so why they felt the need to crowbar in another murdered family backstory is a mystery to me. DOFP already introduced his kid(s) and Apocalypse fails spectacularly at exploring this, producing only an incredibly awkward and unsatisfying scene at the climax of the film.

It has some enjoyable sequences and scenes but generally there’s a lack of emotional heft to it and few if any of the characters are given enough to do. The film veers close to the bad old days of X3 where characters are introduced and thrown into the fray without giving us any reason to care about them. Some of the characters are given some back-story, but it’s generally so poorly written that their emotional beats of the film still fail to land anyway.

By modern superhero film standards, the film looks poor too. The CGI is quite **** in places and the costumes look ridiculous. Apocalypse actually isn’t the worst offender (Oscar Isaac does reasonably well with what he’s given, actually). Funnily enough that honour goes to Psylocke, whose costume everyone seemed to be raving about. She looks more like a stripper than a superhero/villain and looks particularly absurd when running (or when doing an over-the-top ‘superhero’ pose in the background while the gang have a mundane mountain-top chat). Wolverine’s crazy, semi-naked man-running-off-into-the-bushes cameo was pretty funny, although I don’t think it was meant to be.

But hey, it’s still better than Origins and Last Stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Liam92

Was it just me or was some of the acting so bad? It was as if Singer went up to some of the cast, especially the three weaker Horsemen (minus M-Fass), and they over-acted every direction he gave them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I really enjoyed it. I'd heard all the negative press and went in with low expectations, but really liked it from start to finish which is all I want from a film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Wasn't absolutely terrible but wasn't good. No development in the characters. Horsemen? Useless. Might as well not have been there but for Magneto. Far too many characters too. For a movie with a lengthy time, very little actually happened. Basically:
    Apocalypse wakes up, finds 4 horsemen, takes over Charles' mind then the X Men stop him.
    As I said, there wasn't much in the way of developing characters, there weren't any thought provoking or emotional scenes, so although simplistic that's all that really happened in this movie.
    Quicksilver scenes were alright but DoFP did it better. He's definitely the most entertaining mutant in the universe so far though. Apocalypse was alright as a villain but again not much in the way of development, basically a glorified 'I want to take over the world' baddie. Which is a shame because he was my favourite villain in the 90s cartoons.

Wouldn't go to see it again, wouldn't recommend to someone unless they're bored and have already seen Civil War. I probably rate it higher than BvS, mostly because Apocalypse isn't portrayed as Mark Zuckerberg.

Advertisement