Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X-Men Apocalypse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

First of all, that spoiler! Awesome but kinda disappointed they didn't hold it back. I wonder were they feeling they needed a bit of a bigger draw to pull audiences in?

Looks great anyway. The plot doesn't look like it'll be up to much after the time hopping DOFP but visually this looks fantastic and looks like we'll get some great mutant fights. Love that they acknowledge the Magneto/Quicksilver link that they merely winked at in DOFP.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,336 ✭✭✭✭Penn

you know the characters don`t really age in the comics either...
    I'm not sure what the complaint is about.... these are comic book movies...

Yeah but when they keep reusing different ages of the same characters with different actors in different time periods, it just gets ridiculous. We've seen Stewart & McKellan visit a young Jean Grey even though we now have Fassbender & MacAvoy with a slightly older Jean Grey. We've had Emma Frost as a teenager in the 70s (Wolverine Origins) and in her mid-30s in the early 1960s (First Class).

Quicksilver & Cyclops were also in Wolverine Origins but now appear to be different ages in Apocalypse. Cyclops also met Patrick Stewart's Prof.X in the 70's but now it's MacAvoy in the 80s.

I'm not overly complaining about it. I get the reasons behind all of it. But it's just a jumbled mess now at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Don't care about that spoiler. It was gonna come out and I don't exactly consider it to be a game changer.

That was a good trailer imo, certainly much more likely to see it now. I was going to see it anyway but if I was on the fence this would've helped.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Are they going to digitally de-age Jackman?

I really liked the first two X-Men, which had real themes about alienation and discrimination, but this just looks like X-Men for the YA market.

Speaking of which, I was watching Hunger Games III Part III or whatever it's called recently and I couldn't understand how Lawrence's mother had suddenly come back to life after dying in the previous film. After some googling it turns out that that happened in another film that wasn't Hunger Games but was so similar my mind had conflated them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

you know the characters don`t really age in the comics either...
    I'm not sure what the complaint is about.... these are comic book movies...
    Add your reply here.
    I should have added, humans do age.. Changes in continuity are enforced...
    We are lucky to have seen 2 very good sets of actors..
    I hope the Marvel crew are just as fortunate when Cap and Tony are revamped...

Do I consider it a continuity problem... No.. Artist/poetic licence is definitely allowed here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i thought the last trailer was better TBH . it just seemed tonally more coherent. this one just seem to be more "flashy" or something. i still enjoyed it dont get me wrong but it just seemed a bit jarring.

i dont get the prob with the "cameo" either. the blokes been in ALL the films so wheres the shock?

one thing i will give this trailer though is its the first time i caught elements of Mystiques comic book costume coming to the fore. something i'd hoped for more of since "first class"

the one thing that annoys me about the X men films is the reluctance to use the characters classic costumes. they had an excuse in X 1 and 2 but the technical expertise exists now to DO it (as evidenced in avengers deadpool et al)

i mean Psylocke looks fecking glorious ! so why are we still gettting the black leather jumpsuits from 2000 ?

from the tralier it looks like theyve gone that way with apocalypses crew so a bit of love thrown the teams way would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

i dont get the prob with the "cameo" either. the blokes been in ALL the films so wheres the shock?

I genuinely wasn't expecting him to show up. Even if you were expecting it, showing it in the trailer serves no purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'll be surprised if this is good tbh. Big fan of First Class and DoFP, but this is looking crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I like how Singer directs the X-Men films, he gives them a weight on screen imo. I found the dialogue in this trailer pretty awful, I know it's edited together so each part is not taken in context, but even in context its so cliched past the point of something resembling originality. It felt like a family action movie. Hopefully it's just the regular 'final trailer' feel of a film though rather than it being a big point.

It looks ok although I don't get the dread from Apocalypse that I should be getting for such a huge character. Still looking forward to it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

i thought the last trailer was better TBH . it just seemed tonally more coherent. this one just seem to be more "flashy" or something. i still enjoyed it dont get me wrong but it just seemed a bit jarring.

one thing i will give this trailer though is its the first time i caught elements of Mystiques comic book costume coming to the fore. something i'd hoped for more of since "first class"

the one thing that annoys me about the X men films is the reluctance to use the characters classic costumes. they had an excuse in X 1 and 2 but the technical expertise exists now to DO it (as evidenced in avengers deadpool et al)

i mean Psylocke looks fecking glorious ! so why are we still gettting the black leather jumpsuits from 2000 ?

from the tralier it looks like theyve gone that way with apocalypses crew so a bit of love thrown the teams way would be nice.

To be honest I'm in the complete other boat. I don't want to see them in the classic costumes. Why? Because they'd look absolutely stupid in real life. Wolverine in yellow spandex? No thanks. X1 and X2 are brilliant movies because they adapt to silver screen so well instead of lifting it straight from the comics.

Like I think pyslocke and apacolypse look stupid. Because, well, on real life those sort of costumes do. Bang of power rangers off them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

The trailers aren't really doing much for me. I loved Apocalypse storylines in the cartoons (haven't read the comics) and was looking forward to this but the trailers are the least appealing to me of the three new X-men movies. I don't mind this though as I won't be going in with high expectations and may come out really liking it.

I find the way they are making a full hero out of Mystique is all due to the star power of Jennifer Lawrence. I'd still prefer to see her as a baddie with the character.

.ak wrote: »
    To be honest I'm in the complete other boat. I don't want to see them in the classic costumes. Why? Because they'd look absolutely stupid in real life. Wolverine in yellow spandex? No thanks. X1 and X2 are brilliant movies because they adapt to silver screen so well instead of lifting it straight from the comics.

Like I think pyslocke and apacolypse look stupid. Because, well, on real life those sort of costumes do. Bang of power rangers off them.

Totally agree but the long dormant adolescent in me does appreciate Olivia Munn in that outfit

She'd look awesome in a brown paper bag.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

She'd look awesome in a brown paper bag.....

Scandalous! Sometimes I wish I was a mod who could ban people :pac:

Is there a reason Apocolypse isn't a musclebound monster? Not exactly complaining but any X Men I've seen and watched he's been quite a formidable size.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Is there a reason Apocolypse isn't a musclebound monster? Not exactly complaining but any X Men I've seen and watched he's been quite a formidable size.

Did you even watch the trailer - He is 40 foot tall!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

He's not as big and bulky as the 90s cartoon I remember watching.

What does it matter. It's hardly normal muscle which gives his strength

Slydice wrote: »
    He's not as big and bulky as the 90s cartoon I remember watching.

Yeah that was more what I was getting at rather than the scale of him. I was also basing it off 90s cartoons, I'm sure he's been portrayed slimmer in some obscure comics.

Doesn't matter a whole lot, just wasn't sure if there was a reason behind it. I'd prefer if he was bulkier but that's just preference.

he wasnt really that "big" when he started out as the vilain in X factor waaaay back when.

taller than most IIRC but not bulky.

12729614_1071329779584457_1634909866_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTE5MTAwNDc5MDUxODMzNTgwMg%3D%3D.2

but when it got to the 90s marvels star artists started drawing everyone like mini hulks. jim lees cyclops for instance in NO way could be called "slim" summers.

:D

next thing ya know apocalypse starts looking more like this.

dd2fc7dfcd9c1ef3ebe6e53b2fb939b3.jpg

he was played more like Mr Fantastic of the fantastic four more than anything else at the start which meant he could shift his mass as he wished. by the time the cartoon got off the ground he was in "brick shytehouse" territory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

he wasnt really that "big" when he started out as the vilain in X factor waaaay back when.

Was never the same when they killed him off and brought in Simon Cowell

looks like i posted too soon on the uniforms .

been watching some of the TV spots (most seem to be Chinese or something) and it looks like a fair whack of em get new dudes over the course of the film.

cyclops nightcrawler and quicksilver anyway. more in line with the stuff you'd see in "uncanny xforce" but still deffo going in the comic book suits direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

They got Olivia Munns one right, that's all that matters :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Really looking forward to this, as I've been waiting for so long to see Apocalypse on screen. Fox seemed to get their **** together with this franchise big time starting with First Class as well. Hopefully he'll be treated with the proper respect and have the far reaching ramifications that he should.

I too was looking forward to seeing what Apocalypse looked like on the big screen... The trailers let me down slightly...

after reading this link.... i hope after seeing the film, I completely forget about it..

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/155734/20160503/apocalypse-could-have-looked-like-this-in-the-new-x-men-movie.htm

385183.jpg

385182.jpg

I doubt that what we're seeing in the trailers comes close to seeing the height that he becomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

So, Helen O'Hara at Empire (who I would generally trust when it comes to these matters) has given this 2 stars and reports from other Empire writers on twitter are pretty similar. Nick de Semlyen compares the final act to a "rerun of end of Transformers 2" and James Dyer claims it's "not even on a par with The Last Stand" (sorry don't know how to embed tweets).

If they're wrong it would be a real shames after the gem that was DoFP but if anything the poor reviews have me even more intrigued because although the trailers weren't fantastic, I didn't think they were terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

well crap...

googled reviews after your post, doesn't look promising..

The First Reviews of X-Men Apocalypse Are In, and They're 'Meh'
    http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-first-reviews-of-x-men-apocalypse-are-in-and-theyr-1775617115

I hope he didn't make a hames of Apocalypse. Like... he was there throughout the 90s X-Men, He was legendary. The whole 90s X-Men almost entirely revolved around him.

Awe I hope he hasn't done a crap job on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

I'm sick of all the black bring back the proper colours for God sake why can't Wolverine wear yellow, and Storm wear white etc it takes the fun out of it they gave magneto a tint of his colours in the last film why not the rest of the crew they all look generic and dull in the black leather

• Advertisement

I'm sick of all the black bring back the proper colours for God sake why can't Wolverine wear yellow, and Storm wear white etc it takes the fun out of it they gave magneto a tint of his colours in the last film why not the rest of the crew they all look generic and dull in the black leather

A lot of the costumes look ridiculous when not in a comic or cartoon. Wolverine in particular. Though I agree it looks very bland with matching dark jackets or shirts.

Advertisement