Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X-Men Apocalypse

Options

Comments

VVZjV06.jpg

Official poster.

Thinking about it, Oscar Isaacs is having a fantastic year. He's in two major franchises - X-Men and Star Wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭weemcd

VVZjV06.jpg

Official poster.

Thinking about it, Oscar Isaacs is having a fantastic year. He's in two major franchises - X-Men and Star Wars.

ExMachina is also a great watch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Notice how we don't see one bit of Mystique in the trailer. I'm guessing the studi0 didn't want to put Jennifer Lawrence in make up now that she is a big star

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭warpdrive

This will be worth seeing in 3D as well since it's filmed in the format rather than post converted like the Marvel and DC movies are

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Notice how we don't see one bit of Mystique in the trailer. I'm guessing the studi0 didn't want to put Jennifer Lawrence in make up now that she is a big star

She didn't want it. As far as I remember, she was sick of the time and effort it took to do all the makeup so demanded that and this is her last xmen film I think

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,147 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

warpdrive wrote: »
    She didn't want it. As far as I remember, she was sick of the time and effort it took to do all the makeup so demanded that and this is her last xmen film I think

That's a shame, very much goes against what her character has been about the last 2 films, thought it odd she looked normal in the trailer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

That's a brilliant poster. Really gives a striking first impression of the character.

The X-Men movies are a real bittersweet thing for me these days. The fan in me loves to see them successful and better movies than anything Marvel put out but another piece of me wants them to flop and the rights to revert to Marvel so they stop sh!tting all over the comic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Is Hugh Jackman not in this film?

I didn't cop that Lawrence didn't look like Mystique. Wonder where they'll go after Apocalypse, with the reboot. I'm assuming DoFP was the last time we'll see any of the older X-Men? Is Wolverine in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I think Onslaught would be the next step for a big stand out villain in the movie universe.

If anyone googles that there could be major spoilers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭warpdrive

Hugh Jackman is doing one last solo wolverine movie, his last in the franchise

I'd like to see Tom Hardy considered for the next wolverine. He's a short guy as far as I know so could possibly do an even more faithful adaptation of the comic book character. He's short and has no issue transforming his physique for roles.

• Advertisement

warpdrive wrote: »
    Hugh Jackman is doing one last solo wolverine movie, his last in the franchise

I'd like to see Tom Hardy considered for the next wolverine. He's a short guy as far as I know so could possibly do an even more faithful adaptation of the comic book character. He's short and has no issue transforming his physique for roles.

He plays a good angry psycho. Hardy would be incredible. Only problem is he'd probably have to sign up for multiple films thst might prevent him doing other work. Hope he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I didn't cop that Lawrence didn't look like Mystique. Wonder where they'll go after Apocalypse, with the reboot. I'm assuming DoFP was the last time we'll see any of the older X-Men? Is Wolverine in this?

Thats a problem with X Men films the villains keep getting bigger and bigger. For me personally a Phoenix/Shiar Empire trilogy aka X Men in Space would be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Hardy is a good shout. I've always thought Mel Gibson would have been a great Wolverine.

There's so much you could do with x men though.

Imagine a long story arch series that's dark along the lines of Daredevil that covers the X-Men. Something like the Messiah Complex/War or Avengers v X-Men where you could flesh out the characters.

Could be fantastic as the world has so many great characters with their own back story. I am really looking forward to Apocalypse tho as I thought Days of Future might be the best comic book film to date. Really want to see the extended cut with the extra scenes showing more of the future in it. Bishop was an absolute bad ass even though he had a tiny amount of screen time.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,147 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

1970's Jack Nicholson would have been my perfect wolverine. Hardy is a good shout though a bit baby faced. Find it hard to picture anyone but Jackman now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Was looking at the cast and I didn't see Mr Sinister in the credits. Considering Mr Sinister's history with Apocalyse I thought he might be in the movie as well. I think he should have been introduced, even if it was just a cameo, he'd be the next villain for me, if they were to continue with the X-Men movies.

I really hope they don't introduce any other villains. It's what I've enjoyed about the X-Men movies so far and what bothers me about the other Marvel movies; it just feels like each individual movie is nothing more than a stepping stone to other movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

really liked the trailer.

bout the only real criticism i have is angel looks a tad too "beefy". ive always seen warren as more slender than that.

mind you it could be the costume.

i agree the voice for apocalypse should be deeper too, but ya never know. spaders got tweaked from its first sounding on the trailers for age of ultron , so maybe this will too.

still all in all its looking good.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I really hope they don't introduce any other villains. It's what I've enjoyed about the X-Men movies so far and what bothers me about the other Marvel movies; it just feels like each individual movie is nothing more than a stepping stone to other movies.

Well I thought maybe they might keep it subtle like. Like maybe he's introduced as geneticist/scientist Nathaniel Essex who works under Apocalyse creating clones or something. But they could keep it ambiguous like.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

I hope Cyclops gets a bigger role he's never really being portrayed well in any of the films he was one of my favourites in the tv series, Frasier is the best Beast the other dude looks too goofy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I am going to have to go against the grain here and say I did not like the look of this one bit.

It just has a straight to TV movie feel about it, it just looks so small scale or something, I just can't put my finger on why I think this.

I will still watch it and hope its good, but expectations are now low.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    I am going to have to go against the grain here and say I did not like the look of this one bit.

It just has a straight to TV movie feel about it, it just looks so small scale or something, I just can't put my finger on why I think this.

I will still watch it and hope its good, but expectations are now low.

With trailers released this early, they often rely on character shots, rather than special effects shots (which are often still WIP) so that may explain the issue you are having.

With the success of the previous movies, I doubt Fox are skimping in terms of the budget. They need this to hit big with FF being a dud.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Turtyturd wrote: »
    The X-Men movies are a real bittersweet thing for me these days. The fan in me loves to see them successful and better movies than anything Marvel put out but another piece of me wants them to flop and the rights to revert to Marvel so they stop sh!tting all over the comic.

Conversely, I'd prefer to see X-Men remain outside of Marvel Studios, certainly while the movies remain as strong as the likes of Days of Futures Past; the MCU doesn't need another mythology clogging up its threads, and making the universe even more convoluted, and tbh I think X-Men is a strong enough franchise to easily stand on its own. God knows the MCU is beginning to get

I'm no expert, mostly my enjoyment of the X-Men has been via the cartoons (and films!) of yesteryear, but I honestly don't think the X-Men should return to Marvel Studios. And on the back of this trailer, I'd still be of that opinion (although disappointing to see Mystique, well, not looking like Mystique)

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

x-men should stay well away from the day-glo overrated mess that is the "Marvelverse" (I shudder like Hank Hill whenever I type or say that)

I haven't seen the trailer, just a picture of the big man and I must say they have fixed him up properly :) Can't wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

pixelburp wrote: »
    Conversely, I'd prefer to see X-Men remain outside of Marvel Studios, certainly while the movies remain as strong as the likes of Days of Futures Past; the MCU doesn't need another mythology clogging up its threads, and making the universe even more convoluted, and tbh I think X-Men is a strong enough franchise to easily stand on its own. God knows the MCU is beginning to get

I'm no expert, mostly my enjoyment of the X-Men has been via the cartoons (and films!) of yesteryear, but I honestly don't think the X-Men should return to Marvel Studios. And on the back of this trailer, I'd still be of that opinion (although disappointing to see Mystique, well, not looking like Mystique)

I also wouldn't like the X-Men to cross into the MCU, for a number of reasons. The MCU has enough going on right now wothout adding a new ensemble. Also, the X-Men never really sit well with me as part of the wider universe.

My interest in this is waning... I'm kinda sick of watching X-Men movies that aren't really about the X-Men at this stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Superbowl ad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Still not sold on the look of Apocalypse.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,237 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm still not sold on the constant need to focus on Mystique just because she's played by Jennifer Lawrence, or Quicksilver. I know I'm in the minority in preferring Avengers Quicksilver to X-Men Quicksilver, but that shot of him running wearing the goggles in that trailer is laughable. (Edit: And I just noticed he's wearing a 'Rush' t-shirt)

Penn wrote: »
    I'm still not sold on the constant need to focus on Mystique just because she's played by Jennifer Lawrence, or Quicksilver. I know I'm in the minority in preferring Avengers Quicksilver to X-Men Quicksilver, but that shot of him running wearing the goggles in that trailer is laughable.

It does look very out of place in the context of the rest of the trailer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,237 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Quicksilver_zpsybv18hry.jpg

Advertisement