Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X-Men Apocalypse

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

You can't kill mystique in these series of movies because she's an integral part of Magneto's team in the movies set at a later time.

you mean the time thats been broken anyway and no one cares about? They also didn't know who Nightcrawler was in X2 but they have no problem putting him in here. You can absolutely kill her, you can do what you want - time is different, you just gotta have the balls to do it, which no one making this film had

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

You can't kill mystique in these series of movies because she's an integral part of Magneto's team in the movies set at a later time.

The 'later time' that we see in the original trilogy is no longer canon, thanks to the events of DOFP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Rockstreams

The 'later time' that we see in the original trilogy is no longer canon, thanks to the events of DOFP.

It is canon, its just from a different timeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,693 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So just back from seeing this in the cinema. What did I think of it? Have to see I really enjoyed it thought it was very good. There was a few bit that certainly could no doubt have been better but overall very enjoyable even a few funny bits in it. I do think Mystique did not look near as good in this one as in the others but that CGI for you I also thought see looked a lot more blue a darker blue even. I do think its a good idea and helps if you understand what happened in the previous X-Men films and think the reason that a lot of critics have giving this poor reviews is because they do not understand it maybe they should do there homework before reviewing a film like this. I would give it 4 out of 5 stars.

It is canon, its just from a different timeline.

Canon for this timeline is what I meant, obvs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭blue note

I think I must just have a spot for X-men films, because I still enjoyed this even though I agree with most of the criticism on this thread. I also enjoyed The Last Stand, so that's the starting point I'm coming from.

It was annoying looking at it though and thinking throughout it should have been a lot better. Mystique and Beast not being blue was lazy.

The Magneto storyline was terrible. And then after killing millions most likely they still seem to think he's "not a bad lad".

Psylocke I loved. I know the costume she was in was .... eh ..... but whatever, I couldn't take my eyes off her any time she was on screen!

I was glad that they took the focus off Wolverine for a change, but was annoyed it went to Mystique. I actually enjoyed Wolverine's cameo a lot.

I didn't like a few of the actors - Nicholas Hoult I can't warm to, Nightcrawler was terrible, I really disliked Scott and had quite liked James Marsden as him, Angel was rubbish.

I also felt that the Quicksilver scene was just a fairly carbon copy of the great one in the previous film so wasn't impressed by it. Maybe if it had only been 1 minute instead of 3.

I liked Havoc, I thought he was a good character.

But with all that said, I left feeling it was fine. I think it was probably the second worst of the X-men world films (ahead of Origins: Wolverine), but still enjoyable to watch. But I definitely think I'm softer on X-men films than any other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

All bets should be off, I mean in the original trilogy you have Xavier and Mystique blanking each other while Eric doesn't really give a fcuk about her either beyond her use to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    All bets should be off, I mean in the original trilogy you have Xavier and Mystique blanking each other while Eric doesn't really give a fcuk about her either beyond her use to him.

I dont think Mystique and Xavier ever directly cross paths in the original trilogy.

but yes all bets should be off we need to remember how things would have gone in that timeline compared to Days of Future Past Timeline.

Mystique we know would have been captured and tortured by Stryker in the original timeline (as her DNA is used for sentinels) and I suspect it would have been magneto and not Xavier that saved her from them. Pretty much setting her on that path.

The one thing I am disappointed timeline wise is the film doesnt really touch on why in this timeline we got a apocalypse but not in the other.

i was hoping for some element hung over from days of future past being the catalyst for apocalypse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Ben Gadot wrote: »

Well all bets cant really be off as at the end of DOFP we see Wolverine back in the school with loads of the old characters, showing which ones survive in the new timeline. I thought that really neutered what they could do in the future, unless they say that is one of many possible timelines.

Mystique wasn't one of them so she could (and should) have been taken out.

On the movie itself, I saw it last night. Don't normally go to see movies on a Monday night or in this cinema but it was practically empty.

It was fine but could have been a lot better. I really felt the dynamics between Mystique, Professor X, and Magneto had been done to death in the previous movies and this brought nothing new to it. The only small mercy was that it didnt become
    Wolverine centric after his cameo
    (which I feared).

I know people point to this being an introduction of the new cast but this could have been done in an earlier movie, allowing them to grow and take a bigger role in this movie.

Apocalypse seemed wasted too, nearly to the extent of the MCU villains, which is a travesty given what a great character he is.

Really feel this is a missed opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I may be alone in this but I'm still waiting for a proper faithful adaptation of the X-Men in movie form, They've gotten some bits right in each film but they've never nailed it down, Before I used to be happy that this was seperate from Marvel Studios but after seeing how they did in 20 mins what sony failed to do in 4 movies with Spiderman I would love to see this go back to Marvel Studios now

The only movie that was perfect was Deadpool and that's because they didn't give a **** about it and didn't stick there oars in

I may be alone in this but I'm still waiting for a proper faithful adaptation of the X-Men in movie form, They've gotten some bits right in each film but they've never nailed it down, Before I used to be happy that this was seperate from Marvel Studios but after seeing how they did in 20 mins what sony failed to do in 4 movies with Spiderman I would love to see this go back to Marvel Studios now

The only movie that was perfect was Deadpool and that's because they didn't give a **** about it and didn't stick there oars in

I'd love to see what Marvel could do but at this point I'd rather they kept them outside the MCU. Too much going on in each.

High standards you have there, objective too

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

BMMachine wrote: »
    High standards you have there, objective too

What's that supposed to mean ??? If ya didn't like Deadpool fare enough but ...that's exactly how Deadpool is in the comics and Colossus where as when ya come to the X-men

They get somethings right but there is always something off, We've seen Wolverine in 6-8 movies now including 2 of his own and he still hasn't worn his outfit/costume from the comics

Cyclops has always been the leader of the X-men but in the movies its ben Wolverine or Mystique (who's a villain in the comics a pretty cold blooded one at that)

and the likes of Iceman, Rogue and others been reduced to bit parts and cast with kids .

No one in any of the X-men movies could believeably stand toe to toe on a physical or intellectual level bar Prof X , Magneto Wolverine and Famke Janssen Jean Grey to Captain America or Tony Stark from the marvel movies

There my main gripes but i could go on all day

thats the problem, its not a comic its a film. Deadpool was a film that meandered about and got very tiring after about 40 minutes. The character was fun but the film was quite average.

but... he has his fans who can't see past that and thats where this massive distortion comes in. Volume does not equate to objectivity or righteousness

thats the problem, its not a comic its a film. Deadpool was a film that meandered about and got very tiring after about 40 minutes. The character was fun but the film was quite average.

but... he has his fans who can't see past that and thats where this massive distortion comes in. Volume does not equate to objectivity or righteousness

You can't accept that some people would disagree with that and just enjoyed the film for what it is?

It's my opinion and mine alone I don't have to conform to you'res

And the Avengers and Marvel Studios have differed massively from the comic stories but the characters are still all spot on with how they act and costumes etc and still the quality of the movies are kept up

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Keep it civil please folks

The more I think about it two more continuity points bug me. Let me know if someone has an explanation.
    Moira forgetting everything - at the end of First Class, after Prof X wipes her mind, Moira is able to remember and talk about the attack on HQ and they are clearly discussing Prof X's abilities, yet in this she has no memory of Prof X, any of the X-men, or ever coming into any sort of contact with them.
    Mystique & Wolverine - at the end of DoFP we see what appears to be Stryker taking up Wolverine, only for Mystique's eyes to glow. Yet in this movie he is once again a prisoner of Stryker. What is the point in having Mystique save him only for him to end up in the hands of the guy she is pretending to be?

It just points to once again zero planning it put into the X-men universe, even from a movie released 2 years ago. Some moan about how interconnected the MCU is but the odd scene or line that is out of place is more than worth having to deal with this crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭CdeC

Ok,
    So I think these super hero movies have run their course. This without doubt should have been the strongest instalment and was easily the worst of the last 3 Xmen movies.

So here are my main gripes.

1. Dialogue was terrible
    2. Costumes were ridiculous
    3. Not nearly enough fight scenes and the one at the end was not that exciting.
    4. Psylocke was terrible and the actress was clearly uncomfortable in that outfit.
    5. Apocolypse was reduced to a cartoon character with none of the menacing presence everyone was expecting.
    6. 4 horsemen were just lounging around a lot of the time looking like bored hipsters.
    7. Script was shocking

The movie has so much potential. If they had kept it simple. For example

The start was very good and built up the character well. His awakening was equally good and his reducing of people to dust was quite gross but had impact.
    The four horsemen were good but not utilised.
    If they had apocalypse going about his plan, trying to destroy the world as he views all the other life forms as insects.
    He doesn’t do that much until the very end just building his presence and meance but anytime the Xmen try and get even near him the 4 horsemen are there to take them out. This should be most of the movie. Then a massive battle scene at the end when apocalypse has to get involved etc.
    I like Jean grey character but
    the “let yourself go” **** at the end. Come on.

The final episodes of the Xmen cartoon : X men evolution was much better than this movie. Much more exciting.

Oh and finally, every movie ends
    with Magneto and Prof X ribbing eachother “maybe one day you’ll join my school old chum”

“prob not old pal”

Script writer should be shot or at least told off.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

I haven't seen this yet, going tonight, but I think they should have stuck to the 60's a la first class. Continuity is an absolute shambles now...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I haven't seen this yet, going tonight, but I think they should have stuck to the 60's a la first class. Continuity is an absolute shambles now...

I honestly can't get my head around why they decided to skip ten years for each film. They actually references Magneto's WW2 origins here and it's just weird watching a 39 yo Magneto get upset about something that happened 40 years ago, he should be in his 50s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I honestly can't get my head around why they decided to skip ten years for each film. They actually references Magneto's WW2 origins here and it's just weird watching a 39 yo Magneto get upset about something that happened 40 years ago, he should be in his 50s.

A trilogy in each decade with a different cast would have been a better option I think First Class didn't do well on some level and a decision was made to bring back the old cast in a team up movie.

Fox need to wipe the slate clean and start fresh and really rest some characters

A clip removed from the film can be seen in this tv spot

You can't accept that some people would disagree with that and just enjoyed the film for what it is?

I absolutely can. I enjoy wrestling for what it is. I know its crap, but I enjoy it. I am able to distinguish between my own enjoyment of a piece of entertainment and looking at it objectively. Its not that good a film, it has a lot of hype behind it and a lot of hype for the character, but its riddled with problems.
    Its the same with this film. I enjoyed some of the fight scenes and stuff, but it doesn't stop it being riddled with problems. Thats why its scored so averagely with the critics and has been poorly received. There was a lot of potential here and I think it was squandered by lazy writing, lazy execution and board-roomed to all hell.

The "taste is subjective" argument is as weak as they come when it comes to analysis as it essentially means nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DanielDI

I did find some minor flaws with the film though, particularly with the visual appearance of some of the characters and how their ages don't compute when the first X-men film of 2000 is taken into account. However, asides from that I thoroughly enjoyed X-Men Apocalypse and thought it was a solid & worthy addition to the other X-Men films. The films had spectacle, action, laughs and carried on with the journeys of the characters we have got to know and love over the past sixteen years.

I absolutely can. I enjoy wrestling for what it is. I know its crap, but I enjoy it. I am able to distinguish between my own enjoyment of a piece of entertainment and looking at it objectively. Its not that good a film, it has a lot of hype behind it and a lot of hype for the character, but its riddled with problems.
    Its the same with this film. I enjoyed some of the fight scenes and stuff, but it doesn't stop it being riddled with problems. Thats why its scored so averagely with the critics and has been poorly received. There was a lot of potential here and I think it was squandered by lazy writing, lazy execution and board-roomed to all hell.

The "taste is subjective" argument is as weak as they come when it comes to analysis as it essentially means nothing

This is what I'm talking about. You say you can accept that people have different tastes but immediately attribute the success of the film to "hype", as though anyone who enjoyed it is a brainwashed pleb. Yes, the movie has its flaws. Literally every movie is flawed (except The Princess Bride, which is fcuking flawless), but that doesn't mean it's automatically bad; getting weirdly judgemental doesnt make your point any stronger; it just makes people more likely to ignore your points completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

went to see it again yesterday and enjoyed it alot more the second time around.

dont know why but just did, same thing happened with the first captain america film. maybe my expectations were just lower.

its an alright film for what it is. i just cant imagine what comic book fan would ever come up with this line up for the team, or rather whom the focus is on. ya have the "heavy hitters " right there and its all about raven.

that never bothered me before in the other films but considering this was meant to be a reboot straight from DOFP im just not happy with her essentially forming/leading the xmen.

i mean christ does ANYONE besides brian singer actually want that ?

say what ya want about the avengers films the focus is always on the big three that most concede are the core of that team. with these films its continually like all the characters im interested in are just wandering in and out of it without ever becoming the TEAM i want to see.

its bloody frustrating at this stage.

went to see it again yesterday and enjoyed it alot more the second time around.

dont know why but just did, same thing happened with the first captain america film. maybe my expectations were just lower.

its an alright film for what it is. i just cant imagine what comic book fan would ever come up with this line up for the team, or rather whom the focus is on. ya have the "heavy hitters " right there and its all about raven.

that never bothered me before in the other films but considering this was meant to be a reboot straight from DOFP im just not happy with her essentially forming/leading the xmen.

i mean christ does ANYONE besides brian singer actually want that ?

say what ya want about the avengers films the focus is always on the big three that most concede are the core of that team. with these films its continually like all the characters im interested in are just wandering in and out of it without ever becoming the TEAM i want to see.

its bloody frustrating at this stage.

I reckon that's Sony insisting on her being front and centre cos JLaw is, for some reason, a box office draw. She's a crap actor and Mystique has no business being anything but a side-villain but they cast her before her fame exploded so they're making use of her contract. What's weird is she wants out, yet they still have her as the focus right at the end... You'd think they'd have killed her or had her move on...

• Advertisement

This is what I'm talking about. You say you can accept that people have different tastes but immediately attribute the success of the film to "hype", as though anyone who enjoyed it is a brainwashed pleb. Yes, the movie has its flaws. Literally every movie is flawed (except The Princess Bride, which is fcuking flawless), but that doesn't mean it's automatically bad; getting weirdly judgemental doesnt make your point any stronger; it just makes people more likely to ignore your points completely.

no, im not. Im saying that people enjoyed it because they enjoyed it because people are different. You know what I like? Alien 3. Yeah, its crap, but I enjoyed it. There was no brain washing about it or anything.
    And Im not saying it was successful because of hype (though it always helps), it was successful because people enjoyed it. Learn the difference between quality and enjoyment and be comfortable with that and you wont get so humpty when someone calls something you like bad.
    And yeah, I can imagine people ignoring points in order to protect themselves and their own tastes, standards and opinions - its actually one of the core reasons why we get washed over with so many crap films that do well. Think adam sandler is a success by accident? You think the people that watch his films care about standards and quality? They do - their own. Deadpool was above average at best. Thats a harsh reality for some people because they are so invested in the character and film and they can't take it if something they think is 'glorious' is actually just mediocre

Advertisement