Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! English HL 2015 - ALL things HL English, predictions, discussion etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lc2015x

EiC, Frost & Donne! :p
    prayin for montague,Hardy or ENC :p

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bmea

OMGeary wrote: »
    That's a brilliant idea! not.
    Who are you learning?

Frost. Sure it'll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Famoso

How much are you supposed to write for the comparative? Our teacher said around 7-8pages but that seems overkill and I've never gotten that amount written out in previous questions I've attempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lc2015x

7-8?? Jaysus, that's alot! No way :p
    My teacher said if you're going in to do the full 70 mark question, roughly 5 pages is enough.
    If you're going in to do the split question(30/40 marker), Part (a) should be 1.5-2 pages. Part (b) should be 2.5-3 pages.

Famoso wrote: »
    How much are you supposed to write for the comparative? Our teacher said around 7-8pages but that seems overkill and I've never gotten that amount written out in previous questions I've attempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

I don't know if any of yous know about this lady- she is a truly passionate teacher of English. I can honestly say I was at one of her talks and she just fills you with a want to enjoy English- I find her videos really helpful heres a link to one of her poetry ones-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8Pvhqf7ryk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭fin709

When you are doing the literary genre i understand you have to talk about three aspects of literary genre but for theme and issue do you just talk about one theme for the entire answer? For example do you talk about isolation for an entire answer or do you bring in other themes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Dianabluex

fin709 wrote: »
    When you are doing the literary genre i understand you have to talk about three aspects of literary genre but for theme and issue do you just talk about one theme for the entire answer? For example do you talk about isolation for an entire answer or do you bring in other themes?

Its only one theme , Im doing the theme of identity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Right my predictions are as following and have been backed up by teachers:

I got a B1 in the mock (I didn't even finish the story!) and I didn't study for P1. I think the trick in my personal opinion is to move away from rigours of rote learning in your compositions (P1 only!) and just let the writing flow. Know your speech techniques because they are dead easy. For your comp questions the golden rule for me is AT LEAST THREE points for each question which usually works out at a page and a bit.

Comparative: General Vision and Viewpoint
    Othello: The role of women, the female characters, jealousy, loss in Othello and a question relating to Iago in someway.
    Poetry: I'm placing my bets on Ni Chuill'. An Irish poet is likely to come up, especially a female one and Plath likely won't come up. I've heard Montague, Frost and Hardy are likely. Heaney was supposedly likely to come up last year because he was in the news at the time but he didn't so don't bank on Yeats.

Just my two cents, good luck everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kat97

http://leavingcertenglish.net/2011/04/comparative-essay-structure-2/

This has really helped me for the comparative!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

Trying to figure out how stupid it would be to only study Hardy, Montague and Frost?? My class didn't study Eileen or Plath we did Emily but Im really unsure as to study her and I was never mad on Yeats?? What are your thoughts??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭AlfaJack

For theme I'm doing conflict so then my answer is laid out like; Inner Conflict, Violent Conflict, Political Conflict, Marital Conflict, Familial conflict, Social Conflict etc so I guess it depends on what theme you're doing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

what percent of the grade does poetry make up ? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ShaunDaSheep

what percent of the grade does poetry make up ? :P

including the unseen poetry its 17.5%

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭AlfaJack

I know accuracy with quotes is super important but would you get docked a lot for missing out on a comma or punctuation or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭xredmanlfcx

Trying to figure out how stupid it would be to only study Hardy, Montague and Frost?? My class didn't study Eileen or Plath we did Emily but Im really unsure as to study her and I was never mad on Yeats?? What are your thoughts??

Im doing Frost, Hardy, Montague well and briefly looking over Dickinson.

With the first 3, if you say Plath wont come up and ENC will, then its 3 more from the remaining 6. That means there is a 95% chance you will get at least one of Frost, Hardy and Montague.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭xredmanlfcx

Yeats
    Plath
    Dickinson
    Donne

Should I be covered ? the only other poet we did was ENC but i hate her poetry with a passion and refuse to learn it ?

Id say do ENC. She's anticipated to appear. We didnt do her in class, but I was planning on doing the other 3 you left out - Frost, Monty and Hardy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cacti15

LeeLee97 wrote: »
    See when you're writing a short story and there's internal dialogue, how do you write that on the page? In the short stories I've written this year, I've typed them so i just used italics... any suggestions?

What I usually do is start the dialogue on a new line so fo example

'How is the family doing?' Mary asked looking away.
    I dug my nails into my hand and answered 'They're alright.'

and then continue with the narration. Try no to use just 'said' use other words like shouted, whimpered, whispered, grunted, groaned, etc.
    Pacman96 wrote: »
    Anyone here doing The Great Gatsby as a single
    Text? If yes what sort of questions are ye expecting

My teacher said its likely to be an abstract question so something about the American Dream, or a theme.
    She said a relationship question is likely to come up, whether a general relationship one or something to do with Gatsby and other characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 RingoIRL

Can someone post how much time/pages we should dedicate to the questions on paper 1?

Also, how safe am I with the following poets?

Yeats
    Dickinson
    Ní Chuilleanáin
    Montague

4 poems each

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 liverpool1997

How many poems is the minimum that you have to in the exam. I hope to get nearly full marks but learning of a stock answer so hoping for 45-60 for poetry.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭fin709

Is Frost and Hardy enough or would ye advise fitting in ENC over the next 2 nights?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Midlife Crashes

How many poems is the minimum that you have to in the exam. I hope to get nearly full marks but learning of a stock answer so hoping for 45-60 for poetry.

No minimum but 4 is generally recommended, 5 if you're still short on words

Is Frost and Hardy enough or would ye advise fitting in ENC over the next 2 nights?

Definitely do NC. Two poets isn't enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Midlife Crashes

RingoIRL wrote: »
    Can someone post how much time/pages we should dedicate to the questions on paper 1?

Also, how safe am I with the following poets?

Yeats
    Dickinson
    Ní Chuilleanáin
    Montague

4 poems each

1hr 15-20 for essay
    45 mins Qa
    40 mins Qb
    10 mins to look through paper

You should get maybe 2 of those. If you want to feel safe revise some key points on Frost

1hr 15-20 for essay
    45 mins Qa
    40 mins Qb
    10 mins to look through paper

You should get maybe 2 of those. If you want to feel safe revise some key points on Frost

Perfect, thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

eoin12345 wrote: »
    Yes that's basically it!!! I usually compare openings and endings, relationships and setting/time of the text. If the question specifically asks for key moments describe the opening, the ending and another moment in the middle (you probably have something that happened in the middle of each test prepared for theme and issue so just use that) the ending is very important in a text. Did it end happily or unhappily or on a note of uncertainty? If you have time also look at the lives of the central character. Is their life bleak? Does their pessimistic outlook change? Why? Have a look at your exam papers at all the questions that have come up for gvvp and think about how you would answer them, that helped me a lot!

Really helpful thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Both are very likely to come up. However, one cannot be certain. I would advise you to look over Donne as worst case scenario so then you have the foreign males covered. But, realistically, two foreign males should be coming up, and I believe that both Frost and Hardt will come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Js1997

Hi, I have studied and learnt Ni C, Frost and Montague, will this be enough or should I go over Hardy to be safe?

I'm pretty okay for Othello just need to learn some quotes hoping for something on Othellos Flaws, Iago or jealousy, But am aware that it most likely will be something to do with the role of women (hopefully not)

I am really hoping in the comparative that literary genre comes up :) I am still slightly confused as to what sort of questions are asked for theme or issue and what points to make/talk about, could someone clear this up for me :)

Thanks

In the Single Text (Never Let Me Go) and the Comparitive (The Road, I'm Not Scared, King Lear), how important are page references? I absolutely hate learning off which pages the quote is from. With the exception of King Lear and I'm Not Scared (I am able to remember the scenes for quotes from KL, and INS is a film), how much points would you lose for completely omitting page numbers? And if I put down the wrong number, will they check/care?

I don't see how learning off numbers is any way beneficial to my English ability anyway :\

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

RingoIRL wrote: »
    In the Single Text (Never Let Me Go) and the Comparitive (The Road, I'm Not Scared, King Lear), how important are page references? I absolutely hate learning off which pages the quote is from. With the exception of King Lear and I'm Not Scared (I am able to remember the scenes for quotes from KL, and INS is a film), how much points would you lose for completely omitting page numbers? And if I put down the wrong number, will they check/care?

I don't see how learning off numbers is any way beneficial to my English ability anyway :\

Fairly sure page references aren't necessary. There's a key moment in one of my tests we refer to as "page 84," but that's the only time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Laura986

The only poet I feel i know like the back of my hand is Montague!
    I've decided to do him, ENC and Donne.
    I was gonna do Yeats because my teacher thinks he'll be up but I don't think he will be until next year, the actual memorial year, especially given he was up last year.. Think I'll be covered with them three? I feel fairly certain myself that the three of them will actually come up..

Unfortunately I hate ENC I find her poetry practically impossible to remember, quotes are really off the wall and her style of fragmentation means nothing to me.
    Montague is so easy to remember so he's fine.
    Donne is another poet who, though I know all about him cos I love his poetry, I find his quotes very difficult to remember.

Anyone have easy Donne or ENC quotes that should suit almost any question? A few is better than none :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement