Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! English HL 2015 - ALL things HL English, predictions, discussion etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 JimLarkin101

lexijade wrote: »
    This probably sounds silly but what's an anecdote? Also does anyone have any sentences, phrases or facts that would help me in my personal essay or argumentative piece in paper one. Please help!!!!

An anecdote is a little story about your self or some little incident. for example if you were writing a personal essay about Childhood , an anecdote you could use would be your first day of school, a visit to the dentist, ect.

My advice for the personal essay is keep it personal. Be yourself and express your personality on that sheet of paper. Add humor where possible too! :D

Argumentative writing calls for an authoritative tone so use powerful verbs and keep impersonal. Use facts and figures also!
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 RingoIRL

darraghq52 wrote: »
    I have Hardy and Montegue covered in great detail but want a third to be on the safe side. Ni C or Frost :/

Flip a coin, Ni C is just as likely as Frost to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 leavingcert15

For the comparative in theme and issue do you have to pick one theme that's in all of the texts?

Broseph wrote: »
    I would say those four are very safe. The four that come up are very very unlikely to be Hardy, Plath, Yeats and dickinson

Why Yeats and Dickinson? Also, they know exactly which ones people are banking on and they'll always throw in an awkward one. Never say that 4 are unlikely :\

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

RingoIRL wrote: »
    Why Yeats and Dickinson? Also, they know exactly which ones people are banking on and they'll always throw in an awkward one. Never say that 4 are unlikely :\

They both came up last year but I'm sure one of them will come up again this year- hopefully Dickinson!

• Advertisement

Jijsaw wrote: »
    They both came up last year but I'm sure one of them will come up again this year- hopefully Dickinson!

One of the two definitely, I just cant see them dropping both. The SEC are horribly sadistic, if they think it's awkward, theyll do it. Take it from a repeat ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Cheerios

Broseph wrote: »
    I would say those four are very safe. The four that come up are very very unlikely to be Hardy, Plath, Yeats and dickinson

I disagree about Dickinson. I have a feeling she could come up this year as Ní Chuilleanáin is too predictable.

So lads, likelihood of Plath? She came up twice in a row. If I dont see her name on the paper, then I'm officially sorted, Ill have studied 4 out of 7.

But it is the SEC we're dealing with, and their company's motto is "F*** You. That's Why".

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Takuda

RingoIRL wrote: »
    So lads, likelihood of Plath? She came up twice in a row. If I dont see her name on the paper, then I'm officially sorted, Ill have studied 4 out of 7.

But it is the SEC we're dealing with, and their company's motto is "F*** You. That's Why".

Don't think any poet has come up 3 years in a row. Thank god, i hated doing Plath.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rockerdude15

Is it alright talk about symbols in theme and issue?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

Can anyone explain how to me to go about answering this question on Eilean:

'In her poetry ni chuilleanain uses language to explore personal memories which create a strong sense of mystery'

This question i did the pres and got 15 out of 60 haha with no work!! :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Cheerios wrote: »
    I disagree about Dickinson. I have a feeling she could come up this year as Ní Chuilleanáin is too predictable.

That's what I think too, NC will be 2014's Heaney- hopefully, I haven't studied her as I find her so boring!

That's what I think too, NC will be 2014's Heaney- hopefully, I haven't studied her as I find her so boring!

Wait if wb yeats or eilean cone up on paper 1 they'll sure not come up on paper 2 so? :D

Wait if wb yeats or eilean cone up on paper 1 they'll sure not come up on paper 2 so? :D

Knowing what happened last year, theyll do exactly that then put BOTH on paper 2. Goddamn I hate the SEC so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭LeeLee97

Even if I knew Ni Chuileanain was coming up, I still wouldn't study her. Do not like her poetry. I've a feeling Yeats will come up, the SEC love him and he's come up most years he's been on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Scirpt

I've always wondered this. What stops the people who come up with these papers passing on the info to their children/relatives/friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Cop on? If what was on got out, everyone in the country would know within hours

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭LeeLee97

Scirpt wrote: »
    I've always wondered this. What stops the people who come up with these papers passing on the info to their children/relatives/friends?

Why do you think people who go to leeson street get ridiculous points

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Laura986

Scirpt wrote: »

Those who make and submit papers don't even know what paper comes up till the day of the exam like everyone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

there is a Urban legend that the leaving cert papers are printed somewhere in europe and then sent over a week before the exams and stored in the local garda station till exam day i wonder if there's any truth behind it :P

• Advertisement

Laura986 wrote: »
    Those who make and submit papers don't even know what paper comes up till the day of the exam like everyone else!

How come?

How come?

Well cos tons of people submit papers. They're not actually told if their paper is chosen yano? Otherwise things would get out and everyone would be getting As all round! Like I'm sure people submitting have told some what they submitted because they'd base their paper on trends and likelihood of questions etc but thy won't know for sure what comes up till the day!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I am going to kinda study Montague, Hardy and Frost. Which one is most likely to come up. i am gonna learn a full answer on one of them, and now little bits on the other 2
    bmea wrote: »
    Am I the only one learning one poet?
    fin709 wrote: »
    Is Frost and Hardy enough or would ye advise fitting in ENC over the next 2 nights?
    Elemonator wrote: »
    Is it actually safe to learn 3 poets? I'm looking at Ni C, Montague and Frost. I have Donne ready to go for a fourth but if I can use 3 it'll allow me to do something else.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, the only way to be absolutely sure is to cover 5 poets.

You mightn't necessarily cover the last one / two in as much detail, but at least be able to attempt an answer if you get stuck.
    LeeLee97 wrote: »
    Why do you think people who go to leeson street get ridiculous points
    1) Who says any of the question-setters work in Leeson St.?

2) Everyone who goes to the IoE don't get "ridiculous" points, they're just good at advertising the people who do ... they're a business after all, and advertising and PR are part of being a business.

3) If you're paying €7,000 p.a. to go there, it tends to focus the mind (for most anyway), so yes, you're likely to see a higher percentage achieving high points than in a normal school. Also factor in that a fair percentage are repeating.

Mind you, Lee, I'm sure they are delighted that you've swallowed their hype verbatim ... that's exactly what they like to see! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Js1997

I have learnt E Ni C, Robert Frost and John Montague.
    I am going to learn another, which do you think is more likely to appear, Thomas Hardy or John Donne?

Js1997 wrote: »
    I am going to learn another, which do you think is more likely to appear, Thomas Hardy or John Donne?

John Donne, there has to like be a 15th century or something poet up

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭fin709

Js1997 wrote: »

Hardy. Most likely to come up in my opinion out of all of them. Hasn't come up since 2006 and isn't on the course next year

• Registered Users Posts: 16 me1289

LeeLee97 wrote: »
    Even if I knew Ni Chuileanain was coming up, I still wouldn't study her. Do not like her poetry. I've a feeling Yeats will come up, the SEC love him and he's come up most years he's been on the course.
    It's also Yeats' 150th anniversary this year, it's even during the leaving cert, June 13th.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sarah_97

Can anyone make any suggestions for a possible motion for the speech in section 2?

It seems to focus on young people.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5 clarebear15

Do you think Id be safe enough knowing characters othello iago and Desdemona,

Poets montague and ni chilleanain
    And briefly Dickinson

And the comparitive theme or issue and gvvp?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 hannnah98

Is everyone learning off an essay for the composition in paper 1??? All my friends have and I am freaking out!!! I plan on doing the personal essay if the titles aren't horrid. But I don't think you can go in with a personal essay learnt off apart from having a few anecdote's and ideas in mind. Am I the only one going in blind ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement