Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! English HL 2015 - ALL things HL English, predictions, discussion etc.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 liverpool1997

My essay has totalled approx 3 A4 pages and that includes quotes. will that be enough for a solid grade in Higher Level. (bare in mind that i only used 4 poems)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 iang198

Hey,
    In the comprehensions in question A, if we're asked to 'outline, in your own words' should quotes be used to answer it?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 RingoIRL

Tips for writing faster? Timing has always been an issue.
    My essay has totalled approx 3 A4 pages and that includes quotes. will that be enough for a solid grade in Higher Level. (bare in mind that i only used 4 poems)

Assuming the essay is quality and answers the question directly, 3 pages would get around 70%. You really need to push for the 4 pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Laura986

RingoIRL wrote: »
    Tips for writing faster? Timing has always been an issue.

Write so your writing is legible not necessarily neat! It tends to speed my writing up
    I've had to come to the realisation I have to do that, cos in order to write neatly I hold the pen very hard so have to ease off, as a result my handwriting isn't as neat :(

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Broseph

Will be doing the personal essay on Wednesday but haven't got a lot prepared for it. I have a structure for the essay but unsure of what topics to prepare that would help and what I should talk about to target the 'personal' aspect of the essay?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Really hope Literary Genre comes up, especially since it's the only mode my teacher covered with my class. I tried teaching myself GVVP but to no avail...

Broseph wrote: »
    Will be doing the personal essay on Wednesday but haven't got a lot prepared for it. I have a structure for the essay but unsure of what topics to prepare that would help and what I should talk about to target the 'personal' aspect of the essay?

You can't really predict the topic. All that I'd say it that its a good idea to spend about 4 minutes on a plan, then use anecdotes and personal opinion throughout, maybe a dash of humour. It's important to make it easy to read and approach for the examiner.

Troxck wrote: »
    Really hope Literary Genre comes up, especially since it's the only mode my teacher covered with my class. I tried teaching myself GVVP but to no avail...

If you get caught with GVVP, focus on the first and last scenes of the three texts. They give you a good insight into what the author is going for in terms of viewpoint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭ThatsTheShtuff

its between literary genre and theme/issue imo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

its between literary genre and theme/issue imo!

I have heard that but there's no way to be certain. I really hope you're right though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

Inhabe heard that but there's no way to be certain. I really hope you're right though!
    literary genre, theme/issue and general vision and viewpoint are never coming up :(

literary genre, theme/issue and general vision and viewpoint are never coming up :(

But... what? Its going to be 2 out of the 3 of those, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

RingoIRL wrote: »
    But... what? Its going to be 2 out of the 3 of those, right?

Was being sarcastic and yeah 2 out 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭KatieG6

Just wondering for poetry, does anybody know if we have to write about 4 poems or 6?

I always persumed that we had to write about 6 poems but my friend gets grinds and the person who is giving her grinds said that she onlt had to write about 4 poems.

Also, I went to english classes for grinds and I realised that we only got notes for 4 poems per poet.

So, should I write about 4 poems or 6? Will i get docked marks if I write about 4? Should I write more if I'm going to do 4 poems instead of 6?
    In the introduction should I state that I've studied 6 but for the purpose of this answer I'm goig to focus on 4?

Can anyone please help, greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

KatieG6 wrote: »
    Just wondering for poetry, does anybody know if we have to write about 4 poems or 6?

I always persumed that we had to write about 6 poems but my friend gets grinds and the person who is giving her grinds said that she onlt had to write about 4 poems.

Also, I went to english classes for grinds and I realised that we only got notes for 4 poems per poet.

So, should I write about 4 poems or 6? Will i get docked marks if I write about 4? Should I write more if I'm going to do 4 poems instead of 6?
    In the introduction should I state that I've studied 6 but for the purpose of this answer I'm goig to focus on 4?

I always just talk about four, though sometimes I slip in a sentence about a 5th.
    Just mention the 4 you are talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Js1997

If you are going poem by poem 4 is enough maybe 5 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

You're supposed to write about 4 and reference a 5th, minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Laurenom

I always write 4 in detail and compare 2 at the end so an easy way to add them in is if they have similarities to another poem if you get me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lexijade

This probably sounds silly but what's an anecdote? Also does anyone have any sentences, phrases or facts that would help me in my personal essay or argumentative piece in paper one. Please help!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 darraghq52

I have Hardy and Montegue covered in great detail but want a third to be on the safe side. Ni C or Frost :/

• Advertisement

Frost. A lot of people are banking on him so I'd say he's a good bet on top of the other two

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ajguy97

Just a question on comprehensions. My teacher said that if a question A says identify three elements of ....... on a 20 mark question he says that 3 paragraphs are enough? is it?

ajguy97 wrote: »
    Just a question on comprehensions. My teacher said that if a question A says identify three elements of ....... on a 20 mark question he says that 3 paragraphs are enough? is it?

4 paragraphs. In the comprehension its 5 marks per point /paragraph so for the 15 marker 3 paragraphs and the 20 marker 4 paragraphs.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ajguy97

Broseph wrote: »
    4 paragraphs. In the comprehension its 5 marks per point /paragraph so for the 15 marker 3 paragraphs and the 20 marker 4 paragraphs.

Yeah my teacher said that but he says when it specifies 3 elements , u dont have to add a 4th paragraph :l

ajguy97 wrote: »
    Yeah my teacher said that but he says when it specifies 3 elements , u dont have to add a 4th paragraph :l

Oh yeah apologies sorry you're right, just make the points slightly longer to get to a page and a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

lexijade wrote: »
    This probably sounds silly but what's an anecdote? Also does anyone have any sentences, phrases or facts that would help me in my personal essay or argumentative piece in paper one. Please help!!!!

Itrs putting a small story into a speech. Where you're talking ****e with your friends, and you're telling them about something that happened at the weekend, that's technically an anecdote

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

The thought of doing six alone is crazy to me! We usually do either three or four. Depending on the question, I will do three or four. I'd probably do three for Hardy, Dickinson, and Plath as I have poems I can write about a good bit for them. A friend of mine can do two in one essay. I think the less you do, the more analytical your essays tend to be. If you just do a paragraph or two on a poem, it's not really going in depth and you're probably just mentioning the theme and then moving on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Is it actually safe to learn 3 poets? I'm looking at Ni C, Montague and Frost. I have Donne ready to go for a fourth but if I can use 3 it'll allow me to do something else.

Elemonator wrote: »
    Is it actually safe to learn 3 poets? I'm looking at Ni C, Montague and Frost. I have Donne ready to go for a fourth but if I can use 3 it'll allow me to do something else.

I would say those four are very safe. The four that come up are very very unlikely to be Hardy, Plath, Yeats and dickinson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ShaunDaSheep

I feel sick thinking of paper 2.

For poetry I have Donne, Dickinson and Plath very well prepared, im just wondering if I revise yeats can i leave out Easter 1916 and September 1913 , and just learn - wild swans at coole, lake isle of inisfree, sailing to byzanthium and an irish airman forsees his death ? or would it be a sin to leave out two of his most famous poems if he came up ? I just find them very long and too much depth to study so close to the exam

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement