Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! English HL 2015 - ALL things HL English, predictions, discussion etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ShaunDaSheep

Kat97 wrote: »
    Studying Othello and I have characters, relationships and themes covered. I'm really struggling with symbolism and imagery as we only touched on it in class.

Am I okay with what I have or should I try and learn it?

You will definitely be able to answer 1 of the questions. Only one question refers to imagery and symbolism

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kat97

You will definitely be able to answer 1 of the questions. Only one question refers to imagery and symbolism

Thanks so much, I was freaking out there for a sec! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭eoin12345

Would anyone else highly predict Theme and Issue? It was last on in 2013, it was on the course last year but did not appear and it is not on the course next year. I am useless at GVV and Lit Gen. I know i will have to have a fair idea on at least one of them i just want to know if people are saying yes or no to theme and issue ?

General vision and viewpoint is very similar to theme or issue. Gvvp centres around the authors or directors outlook e.g optimistic/pessimistic but obviously you would have to put in your own opinion too. Generally the question is quite open so I usually compare the endings and openings of each text, the time/location and if there is time left a relationship or character. Most of these you probably discuss in a theme or issue question so really its not overly different to the content you've learned for theme and issue.you'll just have to alter the context slightly in your answer:) fingers crossed for theme or issue though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

I'm really confused about General Vision and Viewpoint

I know you're supposed to say you got a pessimistic or optimistic v and v etc.

But what are you comparing, when the q is not specific?
    Characters?
    Setting?
    Key moments?
    or whatever you want?

What do you say made u get that vision and viewpoint?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ranchero42

Hypothetically, if one were to learn only two poets, which two would they be (I'm not counting English)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Fiona G

ranchero42 wrote: »
    Hypothetically, if one were to learn only two poets, which two would they be (I'm not counting English)

I would choose Ní Chuilleanáin and Dickinson. A female poet is (almost) a definite and Plath is unlikely to come up 3 years in a row.

yoyojc wrote: »
    I'm really confused about General Vision and Viewpoint

I know you're supposed to say you got a pessimistic or optimistic v and v etc.

But what are you comparing, when the q is not specific?
    Characters?
    Setting?
    Key moments?
    or whatever you want?

What do you say made u get that vision and viewpoint?

What texts are you doing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Ag_science2015

I am going to kinda study Montague, Hardy and Frost. Which one is most likely to come up. i am gonna learn a full answer on one of them, and now little bits on the other 2

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Lune

Is theme and issue just comparing key moments?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 me1289

Lune wrote: »
    Is theme and issue just comparing key moments?

No, you must choose a theme that is in all 3 texts (violence) and discuss it using characters and key moments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 lexijade

Could anyone help me with advice for the personal essay? I usually only get 50/60 out of 100 but don't know how to improve. It's really bringing my grade down..
    Also is anyone else doing Juno, Garage and Brooklyn for comparitive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bronaghgalvin1

Jijsaw wrote: »
    We have done:
    Dickinson
    Plath
    Frost
    Montague
    Yeats

I'm going studying the top 4 and perhaps Hardy. God damn you Plath coming up last year!

.....Hey I'm a repeat student so have a little practise at this .... Plath came up 3 years in a row so i wouldn't be banking on her :) Although she is on the course and in theory should have an equal chance of coming up ...it is very unlikely.
    Best of luck in your exams :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 HannahLang

Okay so I've seen a lot of English predictions on here but the all seem to be predominately concerned with the poetry section and I haven't seen any Othello predictions! If anyone has some good Othello suggestions please share ??

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

eoin12345 wrote: »
    What texts are you doing?

The kings speech
    Brooklyn and Juno and the paycock

Is it ok to compare the opening in all three texts first and what kind of v and v that gave me

Then compare the setting and say what kind of v and v that gave me

Then compare the vivid characterisation and say what kind of v and v that gave me?

Or am I better off comparing key moments?
    Would really appreciate ye're help lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 leavingcert15

For othello a few people were saying the theme of jealousy or the role of women in the venetian society.

Yeats
    Plath
    Dickinson
    Donne

Should I be covered ? the only other poet we did was ENC but i hate her poetry with a passion and refuse to learn it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lc2015x

Yeats
    Plath
    Dickinson
    Donne

Should I be covered ? the only other poet we did was ENC but i hate her poetry with a passion and refuse to learn it ?

Yeah, you'll be fine! I'm studying the same except instead of Plath, I'm doing Frost :p

yoyojc wrote: »
    The kings speech
    Brooklyn and Juno and the paycock

Is it ok to compare the opening in all three texts first and what kind of v and v that gave me

Then compare the setting and say what kind of v and v that gave me

Then compare the vivid characterisation and say what kind of v and v that gave me?

Or am I better off comparing key moments?
    Would really appreciate ye're help lads!

Yes that's basically it!!! I usually compare openings and endings, relationships and setting/time of the text. If the question specifically asks for key moments describe the opening, the ending and another moment in the middle (you probably have something that happened in the middle of each test prepared for theme and issue so just use that) the ending is very important in a text. Did it end happily or unhappily or on a note of uncertainty? If you have time also look at the lives of the central character. Is their life bleak? Does their pessimistic outlook change? Why? Have a look at your exam papers at all the questions that have come up for gvvp and think about how you would answer them, that helped me a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sdfghjk97

Does anyone know if short stories always come up in section 2 or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

Anyone know how much to write for:
    Single text
    Conparative
    Studied poetry

Please need an advice fir top marks thanks!!

• Advertisement

Single text
    Conparative
    Studied poetry

Single text - 55mins
    Comparative - 60 mins
    poetry - 45 mins
    unseen poetry - 15 mins

10 means at the start to read your questions etc...

15 mins at the end to read over your work

Single text
    Conparative
    Studied poetry

completely misread your question above haha

Poetry - 4 pages

Comparative - 5-7

Unseen - page and a half max

Single text - 4-5 pages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

completely misread your question above haha

Poetry - 4 pages

Comparative - 5-7

Unseen - page and a half max

Single text - 4-5 pages
    Haha thanks for that both helps thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bmea

Am I the only one learning one poet?

bmea wrote: »

I'm sure you're not the only one. Have fun if that poet doesn't come up though!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

bmea wrote: »

That's a brilliant idea! not.
    Who are you learning?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

Few questions lads!

When you're quoting from a poem, must you do the forward slash business when the quote runs on to another line?

Also, biographical information on the poets- yay or nay?

Is there anything imperative that you must know for paper one?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

Deranged96 wrote: »
    Few questions lads!

When you're quoting from a poem, must you do the forward slash business when the quote runs on to another line?

Thanks!

Hi,
    On the question of biographical information on a poet I think its fairly imperative to have some for Montague because it explains the basis of some of his poems and writing styles I really would make an effort to know that same for yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lc2015x

It's not necessary to do that business, my teacher doesn't mind if you don't do it :p -as long as the the quotation marks are in! I don't think they'd be too harsh on that!

Concentrate on main themes, style, symbols etc. But its nice if you know an auld line or three on the poets poems, just don't waste time on learning a huge bulk imo

Lastly, paper 1 is just all about practice, keep doing comprehensions in Timed conditions, make sure you know the different style of languages that are used, eg persuasion, argument etc. Make sure you know what composing you'll be going in to write about! I wouldn't get too bogged down on paper 1, you get nice bitta marks for just answering questions on a piece of extract etc :D
    its paper 2 that drives me nuts!

Deranged96 wrote: »
    Few questions lads!

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

prayin for montague,Hardy or ENC :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement