Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! English HL 2015 - ALL things HL English, predictions, discussion etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ShaunDaSheep

How will I fair id if just learn Donne, Dickinson and ENC for poetry ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

OMGeary wrote: »
    If the comparative question states it must be key moment can you allude tho something that isn't in that moment as a sort of intro to the paragraph or must it only be from that moment

i.e. While Cathy and Heathcliff's relationship was initially one of friendship, Cathy became "much too fond of Heathcliff".
    Their loving relationship is through the moment when Cathy confesses her plans to marry Linton to Nelly.
    and then just talk about that key moment.

Anyone know ? :)

My teacher said that a key moment is any moment you call a key moment. So literally any moment that's in the text you can write about and say it's a key moment. And it is, in a way. What you write about for that moment is key to understanding the general vision of the text or whatever.

I haven't studied whatever text, that is, but it does seem like you can call it a key moment anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sushua

I have absolutely no idea how to study for poetry seeing as we've never been given any notes or anything so I don't have a clue how to even start, someone help please :(

I'm scared I might fail Higher Level English.. is it very possible to fail it or is it quite unlikely as long as you write as much as you can? Even if I do an okay paper 1 and a not so good paper 2 can I still pass?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,150 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The main thing is to attempt the right number of questions. If you leave questions out you can get no marks. If you attempt an answer, at least there is something for an examiner to examine.

Last year 1.3% of candidates failed HL English. A number of them would have not bothered showing up for the second paper. It's quite a low failure rate, but don't be thinking of failing. Be positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 6Gains

Is it okay to answer the comparative question using just two texts instead of three or would marks be deducted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

spurious wrote: »
    The main thing is to attempt the right number of questions. If you leave questions out you can get no marks. If you attempt an answer, at least there is something for an examiner to examine.

Last year 1.3% of candidates failed HL English. A number of them would have not bothered showing up for the second paper. It's quite a low failure rate, but don't be thinking of failing. Be positive.

Seeing that statistic just gave me a huge boost of confidence of passing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Patsy6546

For the single text question- othello..
    Is there always a question on characters?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1 Iagoforthewin

Hi lads! As ye can tell by my username I'd love it if Iago came up, like I'm sure most of you would love too! But I doubt it'll be as straightforward as I'd like it to be. I'm thinking theme of jealous (or some sort) or the role of women will come up. Just wondering what stuff you'd write for both? Like what approach would you have for writing about the theme? Starting to panic big time. Thanks lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ecoste

spurious wrote: »

1.3% Of those who attended at least one paper?

Does that include those who never attended the exam, but were meant to?

I mean, that's a horrifically low failure rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Leitrimer97

Pleaseee!!!

We were told to compare the tets under the headers of narration, structure, setting, use of dialogue, imagery and symbolism. Our teacher said it was better to use the three texts in one paragraph aswell

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

How will I fair id if just learn Donne, Dickinson and ENC for poetry ?
    Less well than you could, if none of the three of them show up on the paper.
    sushua wrote: »
    Even if I do an okay paper 1 and a not so good paper 2 can I still pass?
    Yes, it's very possible, indeed likely (though "okay" and "not so good" are ofc relative terms).
    ecoste wrote: »
    I mean, that's a horrifically low failure rate.
    Wouldn't have thought it was "horrific" ... more so re-assuring? :p:D

People who aren't at least able to pass HL English don't tend to do HL English in the first place, if you follow me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

Im so f€&€^£% for the comparative it's unbelievable. I don't even know what to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Dianabluex

Robert frost came up 2003 2007 2011 ( every 4 years) 2015??? Who knows...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

sushua wrote: »
    I have absolutely no idea how to study for poetry seeing as we've never been given any notes or anything so I don't have a clue how to even start, someone help please :(

I'm scared I might fail Higher Level English.. is it very possible to fail it or is it quite unlikely as long as you write as much as you can? Even if I do an okay paper 1 and a not so good paper 2 can I still pass?
    Don't panic bub, seen poetry's actually only 50 marks. If you left out the entire seen poetry question and did perfect on everything else you'd only be down 13%. Google's an underrated resource in Leaving Cert - you can look up rakes of poetry notes online to figure out the arty meanings and whatnot.

Pretty tough to fail unless - as spurious already said - you don't write write anything!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Jaysus, Jumpy lives!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ShaunDaSheep

Just Wondering, I have a essay learnt word for word from the key notes book, does it count as plagiarism if i wrote it in an exam ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Just Wondering, I have a essay learnt word for word from the key notes book, does it count as plagiarism if i wrote it in an exam ?

Yes :confused: How would that, in any way not be plagiarism?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

How do you learn English essays off word by word? I imagine you're fluent in English, surely you can construct your own sentences?

On another note: Pray for Frost and/or Montague :P

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lc2015x

I'm still unsure as to who my fourth poet will be.. I've fully studied, NIC, Frost, Dickinson.
    I don't know whether I should study Yeats or Donne as my 4th.
    I heard its Yeats 150th anniversary or something so he could possibly come up but then again Donne hasn't come up since 2008.. Really confused lads. Any advice??

lc2015x wrote: »
    I'm still unsure as to who my fourth poet will be.. I've fully studied, NIC, Frost, Dickinson.
    I heard its Yeats 150th anniversary or something so he could possibly come up but then again Donne hasn't come up since 2008.. Really confused lads. Any advice??

I'd personally go with Donne, but that's just personal preference!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 DT1

lc2015x wrote: »

Nah dude. IMO Donne is a bit boring. Montague is better but again this is just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭alex1997123

Othello. I'll be honest, I haven't really looked at it, probably should :P

Poetry I've done

Ni Chuilleanain(The Second Voyage, Deaths and Engines, Street and Kilcash)
    Frost(The road not taken, Out out, Aqcuainted with the Night, Design)
    Montague(Killing the pig, The Cage, Windharp, The wild dog rose)
    Dickinson(There's a certain Slant of light, Hope is the thing with feathers, I felt a funeral in my brain, I taste a liquor never brewed)
    ... and I'm going to do Yeats aswell

Comparative (Catcher in the Rye, Juno and the Paycock and Garage)

Theme or Issue - I'm doing love - Filial, fratneral and Romantic

Literary Genre - Narration, Personification, Characterisation etc(Have loads of notes on it)

Really hoping a 2 text only question comes up, I find it hard comparing and contrasting 3 tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jbsbfass

I too have learned of an Othello essay and a Frost essay from key note books!! what matter does it make if you have it written word for word in the exam?? its not like your cheating and you'd hardly lose any marks for it !!!

DT1 wrote: »
    Nah dude. IMO Donne is a bit boring. Montague is better but again this is just my opinion.

Thing is tho, we haven't studied Montague at all :p

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Paddyg96

Tone
    Imagery
    Poetic techniques (and structure)
    Language
    Theme

anything else I should examine each poet under?

jbsbfass wrote: »
    I too have learned of an Othello essay and a Frost essay from key note books!! what matter does it make if you have it written word for word in the exam?? its not like your cheating and you'd hardly lose any marks for it !!!

Think about it.. if everyone writes the exact same essay because they have it learnt off from the same book you will lose marks as it's obviously not your personal opinion

In relation to the Single text(othello) If anyone is stuck as to what to study..I have a feeling something to do with the role of women in Venetian society or something will come up, my teacher was fairly confident too as she asked us to write a whole 2 essays on it :p So I'm really hoping it comes up!!
    If not, the theme of jealousy or a character question on Iago would be lovely! :D Got fine bitta notes on them!

Dianabluex wrote: »
    Robert frost came up 2003 2007 2011 ( every 4 years) 2015??? Who knows...

Yeah, I've a fair feeling he's gonna make a appearance too! I'm studying him anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 leavingcert15

Can you send the notes about the role of women in venetian society I've got nothing at all and I wouldn't know what to say for that question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭LeeLee97

Anyone who is resorting to learning essays word for word, prepare for the consequences.... You do realise that in doing so, you won't even be answering the question that's being asked of you? Plus those essays are way too long to write in an exam. Why don't you just learn some notes on it instead of learning off entire essays?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement