Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! English HL 2015 - ALL things HL English, predictions, discussion etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

Can you send the notes about the role of women in venetian society I've got nothing at all and I wouldn't know what to say for that question.

Ye, if the notes are going can I have a set too please.
    Our teacher was like "I'm a 100% the women aren't coming up, unless they do" which is extremely helpful , though I think she just means in terms of the character question

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭alex1997123

Anyone else considering doing the (a) and (b) question for the comparative? I'm looking at some of them here and they seem easier then the full essay type question.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Lucky Leprechaun

Is there like a rule of thumb like the number of marks the number of paragraphs/pages you should write. I'm always lost on how much to write.

Also how many quotes should you add this always confuses me.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Midlife Crashes

OMGeary wrote: »
    Ye, if the notes are going can I have a set too please.
    Our teacher was like "I'm a 100% the women aren't coming up, unless they do" which is extremely helpful , though I think she just means in terms of the character question

Same here.. All the ones online seem to be from feminist perspectives for some reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

I have no idea how people rote learn answers? I find it difficult to learn off 3/4 lines of texts. I generally learn the gist of an intro, 4/5 points to be expanded on for the body of a text and then learn the gist of a conclusion. It has worked for 6 years leading up to know and it should work next week, hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Frigating

Is there like a rule of thumb like the number of marks the number of paragraphs/pages you should write. I'm always lost on how much to write.

Also how many quotes should you add this always confuses me.

Thanks!

Single text-4 pages
    Comparative-5 pages
    Poetry-4 pages
    Unseen- I think around 1 page, could be wrong
    Comprehension-3/4 page for i and ii, 1-1.5 pages for iii
    Section B-2-2.5 pages

Around that should do you. Aim for 2-3 quotes per paragraph, or just to back up each point you make. For example, in the comparative use maybe 1 quote per text per paragraph.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

jbsbfass wrote: »
    I too have learned of an Othello essay and a Frost essay from key note books!! what matter does it make if you have it written word for word in the exam?? its not like your cheating and you'd hardly lose any marks for it !!!

The corrector is supposed to be assessing YOUR knowledge of English, not that of the author of Keynotes.

Why bother writing an exam paper at all, why not just assign essays to be rote-learned and regurgitated on the day ... Would save the SEC a lot of money and bother. And correcting would be a doddle!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jbsbfass

The corrector is supposed to be assessing YOUR knowledge of English, not that of the author of Keynotes.

Why bother writing an exam paper at all, why not just assign essays to be rote-learned and regurgitated on the day ... Would save the SEC a lot of money and bother. And correcting would be a doddle!!

The leaving cert is a memory test, not an intelligence test.. how would the examiner know it was from key notes ? makes no difference to him!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

jbsbfass wrote: »
    The leaving cert is a memory test, not an intelligence test.. how would the examiner know it was from key notes ? makes no difference to him!!!

The Leaving Cert is not a memory test. Some students (and teachers) just treat it like one.

Key Notes is the most popular revision book for LC English. Some teachers even make notes from it. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them own a copy themselves.

Also, ask yourself, what are the chances that the SEC will ask a question word for word as a sample in the most popular revision book for that subject? Or even one of the books for that matter. If it's a slightly different question and you still write your memorised essay, you're not really answering the question and you will lose marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Saz513

Anyone else considering doing the (a) and (b) question for the comparative? I'm looking at some of them here and they seem easier then the full essay type question.

Always do them...much easier :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 me1289

Why is everyone only studying 2-4 poets? there are 8 on the course!! if you only do 4 then the other 4 that you havent studied could come up?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

me1289 wrote: »
    Why is everyone only studying 2-4 poets? there are 8 on the course!! if you only do 4 then the other 4 that you havent studied could come up?!

Effort of that. I only did 7 in school, 5 really as I genuinely forgot we did Hardy and Plath

Couldn't be bothered my bollocks learning the 5. I'll do three and quickly revise the rest, wing the poetry question if it goes badly

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭eoin12345

Praying for Dickinson Montague or NIC, Theme or issue and a nice character question on Iago. I will actually cry if they put Plath or Yeats on the paper.

Effort of that. I only did 7 in school, 5 really as I genuinely forgot we did Hardy and Plath

Couldn't be bothered my bollocks learning the 5. I'll do three and quickly revise the rest, wing the poetry question if it goes badly
    You are brave haha! I couldn't risk that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

what are peoples predictions for the poets, othello essay and the comparative essay?
    I would read up but that'd take me an hour to cover everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭LeeLee97

eoin12345 wrote: »
    Praying for Dickinson Montague or NIC, Theme or issue and a nice character question on Iago. I will actually cry if they put Plath or Yeats on the paper.

Yeats >

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Ag_science2015

thinking of doing Frost,Montague and Hardy. whats your view on that

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ShaunDaSheep

If theme and issue does not come up I am going to pass out in the exam hall

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭eoin12345

Are quotes in the comparative a necessity?! I know a couple but some of my friends in another class were told not to worry about putting any in....

You'll be grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Midlife Crashes

eoin12345 wrote: »
    Are quotes in the comparative a necessity?! I know a couple but some of my friends in another class were told not to worry about putting any in....

Not necessary but just ensure to make adequate reference to the texts

you should do 5 poets, sorry to break that to you haha

Does anyone find it really unusual that for comparative, Theme and Issue and General Vision and Viewpoint have NEVER appeared together on the same paper ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Does anyone find it really unusual that for comparative, Theme and Issue and General Vision and Viewpoint have NEVER appeared together on the same paper ?

All the more reason for them to come up together this time!

It is quite strange, yet they're probably quite alike as questions whereas literary genre is like the one that isn't on this year.

It seems a bit too obvious for Theme and Literary Genre to come up, so I think GVV is on the cards instead of Theme or Issue. Still don't know myself. I don't really care anyways because they are very similar to eachother and I just have notes on the key moments of each text.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Takuda

How are people preparing for the composition? I just can't get my head around it. Thinking of just winging it on the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

Any last minute tips for getting above 74-77% in the essays? I can never get above that grade no matter how hard I try.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ecoste

Does anyone have an essay for women in Othello?

Any last minute tips for getting above 74-77% in the essays? I can never get above that grade no matter how hard I try.

No cliches
    Let your personality come through and don't be afraid to open up - no matter how insignificant you might think something is, it's not!
    You probably already know what type you're going for so if it's personal essay, use humour, reflection and just maintain a natural flow through your writing and you should do well

Would anyone else highly predict Theme and Issue? It was last on in 2013, it was on the course last year but did not appear and it is not on the course next year. I am useless at GVV and Lit Gen. I know i will have to have a fair idea on at least one of them i just want to know if people are saying yes or no to theme and issue ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kat97

Studying Othello and I have characters, relationships and themes covered. I'm really struggling with symbolism and imagery as we only touched on it in class.

Am I okay with what I have or should I try and learn it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement