Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact announced at IFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭brevity

Got an update pushed to the phone yesterday, anyone get it? Have no idea what it was for :o

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

brevity wrote: »
    Got an update pushed to the phone yesterday, anyone get it? Have no idea what it was for :o

Yeah, got that yesterday as well. Looks like the main reason was to cover a phone vulnerability, along with the mandatory increasing performance line.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/xperia-z2-z3-series-getting-stagefright-bug-fix-via-android-5-1-1-build-23-4-1-232-1522250

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Any idea when we are getting Marshmallow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

Are you sure it is not an app in the background causing it? Sounds like an app to me. It happens - apps can continue to work in the background don't forget!
    Leave it in safe mode for the day and see if it still crashes. if it doesn't, a simple factory reset will save you the price of a replacement.

So I came back from holiday. Phone worked for a bit back here, long enough to save photos and videos etc, then died again. Brought back for a warranty repair. Turned out they couldn't fix it.

New z3c in the hand this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

LaGlisse wrote: »

Will likely be December earliest or Jan most likely by the time marshmallow rolls out. It was March with lollipop. That said if the offer is still open you can sign up for the beta program which is due to start this week. With this you get early access to marshmallow provided you give feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 mgudim

You can install it now (using Sony's concept installer), I've been using it for a day now and it's super smooth

You can install it now (using Sony's concept installer), I've been using it for a day now and it's super smooth. My only complaint is the lack of Double tap to wake option

mgudim wrote: »
    You can install it now (using Sony's concept installer), I've been using it for a day now and it's super smooth. My only complaint is the lack of Double tap to wake option

I downloaded the concept sign up app, waiting for the email from Sony now.

I downloaded the concept sign up app, waiting for the email from Sony now.

You don't need to wait for an email, you can install it by downloading Sony's Concept program for your PC (check /r/android thread on reddit)

I've installed marshmallow on a Z3C. Overall I really like the look of it but no double tap to wake is annoying me a lot more than I thought it would. Plenty of discussion on that one over on reddit but hopefully Sony will update us soon with it.

One note maybe that people don't realise. When you install marshmallow it wipes your phone. To be fair it does tell you this before but in case you're thinking normal ota android update this is not the same thing. This is like getting a new phone and all your apps will download again, in my case all 98 of them so it takes a couple of hours.

• Advertisement

One note maybe that people don't realise. When you install marshmallow it wipes your phone. To be fair it does tell you this before but in case you're thinking normal ota android update this is not the same thing. This is like getting a new phone and all your apps will download again, in my case all 98 of them so it takes a couple of hours.

Ugh...might wait for the OTA. Couldn't be dealing with that right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,065 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Only just finally made move to lollipop.
    Did do factory reset after. Good improvement over jellybean or whatever version it had

Read about marshmallow wasn't sure if it was full android version or just some sort of skin on top of android 5

Read about marshmallow wasn't sure if it was full android version or just some sort of skin on top of android 5

If you read the changes the made specifically around memory management and performance it's far from a skin. Good news also. Sony's ota update today reinstates double tap :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Has anyone issues with the camera in the last few updates? The quality seems to be getting worse and worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭barneyrub

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Has anyone issues with the camera in the last few updates? The quality seems to be getting worse and worse.
    I've thought mine hasn't been great the last few months. Harder to focus, appearing to take blurred pics etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

barneyrub wrote: »
    Harder to focus, appearing to take blurred pics etc.

Yeap exactly, and grainy photos.

Camera is poor for me as well. Disappointing.

Howaya all, not sure if it's been mentioned here before but the Sony Camera app will only take photos at 8.2MP when in auto mode. If you choose manual mode it'll use 20MP.

If you don't like that though you can download the Google camera app from the play store and it'll use the full 20MP in auto mode.

On the camera side yes. I was on the latest lolipop and I found it great but since the marshmallow update the focus seems to have a mind of it's own especially on video recording.

Overall performance on this much scaled back version of droid it's very good. A lot less clunky but there are some additions that I want back. Batter percentage to be displayed and stamina mode. I know there is a default battery saver mode but stamina mode in the quick launch drop down was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭G1032

How do you all find the battery life on Marshmallow? Draining quickly for me.
    Listening to a podcast on the way to work in the car and had the phone charging but it was just enough to keep the battery percentage constant!! Stayed at 91% for the hour trip to work while listening to the podcast. Maybe I need to leave it settle for another day or two.

• Advertisement

Could also do with a restart button in the power menu. Only option is to power off.
    Would like batter percentage on status bar.
    Can't seem to be able to edit / remove any of the toggles in that pull down notification thingy

• Registered Users Posts: 20,801 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Has marshmallow been rolled out OTA or are you guys updating some other way?

Updating by downloading the app. There is no ota for this concept program. The email you get simply contains a link to the concept installer that you put onto your pc and update your phone that way.

Batter life I've found very good. When I put it on it was bad but i was playing about with it quite a bit. Since I've calmed down and gone back to my standard use I've found it actually a bit better than it used to be.

Battery good now!! Probably a little better than what it was on Lollipop but it's hard to gauge really.
    Has anyone got the OTA update that's supposed to have double tap to wake? Released on 27th I think but I still haven't gotten it.

Got at OTA update just there but it wasn't Marshmallow...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I just got my replacement Z3 for the one I broke and as well as the default packaging film protector over the screen and back there's another screen protector like thing over the front and back as well which I'm sure wasn't there with my first Z3?

Maybe they learnt their lesson with the cracking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

barneyrub wrote: »
    I've thought mine hasn't been great the last few months. Harder to focus, appearing to take blurred pics etc.
    Yeap exactly, and grainy photos.
    Camera is poor for me as well. Disappointing.

What model ? I know that lollipop made an absolute balls for the camera on the M2, there's a pretty big and angry thread on the Sony support forum. Sony initially came out with some bull**** excuse that they over sharpened the image purposely so it looks better when viewing on the phone itself.

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-M2-M2-Aqua/Camera-image-looks-like-it-lacks-details/m-p/1043655#U1043655

• Registered Users Posts: 20,801 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Just had an OTA update but it's still 5.1.1 on my phone. I wonder when 6.0 will be rolled out OTA?

cormie wrote: »
    Just had an OTA update but it's still 5.1.1 on my phone. I wonder when 6.0 will be rolled out OTA?

If you're not on 6.0 at the moment you won't get a OTA marshmallow update for quite some time. In the concept program it's still only on build #2 and there are notable issues so we are quite a way yet. I'd say closer to xmas or possibly Jan before you see 6.0 in it's full release.

• Advertisement

cormie wrote: »

http://www.vcpost.com/articles/102723/20151102/android-6-0-marshmallow-update-sony-xperia-z2-z3-z4-z5-out-end-year.htm

Advertisement