Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact announced at IFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭talkto

toby2111 wrote: »
    Can't help you with your question but can I ask did Sony send the notice or your carrier? I've heard nothing

I've heard nothing either - Xperia Z3 on network Three.

Is there a way to update before getting a notification?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The Xperia Update app notified me this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,796 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Is anyone else having issues with their headphone jack and usb port? I seem to get a bad connection a lot of the time with various cables, but testing other devices with them, they seem to work fine. Even a 3.5 cable connected to a stereo, when pushed in fully to my headphone jack, nothing happens, the music just plays from the phone, but when connected to another device, plays the msuic through the stereo.

Other cables seem to have a bad connection a lot of the time too with sound only coming from the right speaker for example :(

I had that with my first Z3 (RIP). However my old Z3 had an issue with the back glass cracking following overheating and the rest of the frame of the body coming loose slowly over time so it was literally falling apart when it was replaced so the glass crack may have caused that slowly.

No problems with cracked glass on mine, mine is a Z3 compact, it's survived a lot of falls (always in a silicone case), but I'm not sure what's cause the usb port and headphone jack issues, hasn't been yanked around too much ;(

• Advertisement

devnull wrote: »
    The Xperia Update app notified me this morning.

Those of you who received an update notification, what network are you on? And is your phone Z3 compact or Z3?

Is there some app on my phone I can open to check if my update is ready?

I'm on Vodafone.

Black Z3.

Just discovered a really annoying "feature" in 6.0

There is no silent mode anymore, just a "Do Not Disturb" mode, which also blocks notifications and the LED light from flashing when you have a new message or a text or suchlike.

This happened in Android 5.1 when it first came out before an update restored the ability to have a silent mode with notifications.

Now we're back to the stupid option of sound with notifications or no sound and no notifications, when all I really want in work is a discreet notification without making a sound.

The annoying thing is if you unlock the screen when in Do not Disturb the notifications are all gathering there in the background, they just don't show on the lock screen.

That sounds a little silly. So if you're expecting something important and you were in the cinema say, a quick illumination of the lock screen and peak down at your pocket won't show you anything, you need to unlock it?

Yeah, that is what I am seeing happening.

Like right now I have no notifications on my lock screen, I unlock it and I see 2 new emails, twitter interactions and Facebook comments, none of which are visible from the lock screen.

• Advertisement

Hmm maybe I won't bother updating after all.

The weird thing is sometimes notifications show on the lock screen, sometimes they are hidden underneath, for example right now I have a Facebook and an Instagram notification there, but under it are notifications from other apps if I unlock the phone. There doesn't seem to be any pattern on which apps it happens with either.

Weird thing is if I press the power button to wake it up, and then press it again to put it back to screen off and wake it onc emore, the notifications vanish from the lock screen without me even unlocking the phone whereas before they'd stay there until they are dismissed.

Double tapping the power button quickly that sets the camera off is annoying as well, since if you press the power button to check the time and quickly press it again it starts the camera rather than turning the screen off, thankfully there is a setting to disable that.

Personally I haven't seen anything really good about this firmware yet. Losing Stamina and Ultra Stamina is a blow, since the new Android functionality isn't as good (certainly my battery life isn't as god) and the battery saver mode now dims the brightness to about 30% which cannot be adjusted, whereas in 5.1 it would do that you could manually slide it up a bit if you wanted. Here it's on or off, no customization, the old Sony stuff was much better and far more customisable.

The only good thing I've seen (and it's minor) is the estimated time to fully charged on lock screen when charging.

Can you go back to Lollipop?

I think I'll wait for Android N.

Not interested in taking the risk just for a few what sound like crappy "features."

There's for sure some weirdness with the lock screen, I'm starting to think it's not just notifications it's the lock screen in general that is bugged.

Reason I say that is I have no spotify controls on the lock screen about 50% of the time, I am playing something click the power button to wake it up and there is album art in background but no controls, just a clock.

I have to slide to unlock to get to the controls, sometimes however, the controls are there, sometimes they are not, just like with the notifications, sometimes some of them show, sometimes some of them don;t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭purple hands

I've been looking for a replacement for my first gen moto g for aaaaages and then this z3 compact deal was posted a few days ago on hukd for anyone that might be interested:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/sony-xperia-z3-compact-149-vodafone-pyg-black-white-2436275?ppp=60

Ordered one last night and came to 192 euro. 3.95 for parcel motel and there are unlock codes on ebay for around 15-18 quid so will be roughly 214 euro all in.The vodafone store checkout was woeful, finally worked for me on internet explorer of all browsers after a few attempts. Will update once I get my hands on it and get it unlocked....

Can anyone recommend a decent case and magnetic charger? I see mentions of ringke fusion and cruzerlite bugdroid but would be interested to hear of people's experiences!

Edit: Bonus points for a case that fits in the dk48 charging dock!

Managed to narrow the lock screen issue down.

It seems unlocking the screen will automatically clear any gadget or notification on the lock screen, but keep them in the unlocked notifications area, but if you lock again any gadget or notification will not appear.

This is seriously annoying with stuff like Spotify, because you have the controls on the lock screen, you unlock the phone to check something, relock the phone and there is no spotify controls since the unlocking cleared it, means that every time you want to access spotify you have to unlock the phone.

You still get the album art in the background however.

A tiny white dot appeared on the top left corner of my screen today. It eventually disappeared. I've no idea what caused it or what made it go away. There were no notifications and no new apps. I've had the phone for six months and never once saw this before. Does this ring any bells with anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

I updated as well, and lost use of Google now, I can do the "okgoogle" command and enter it that way but long pressing the home button doesn't work any more.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

talkto wrote: »
    A tiny white dot appeared on the top left corner of my screen today. It eventually disappeared. I've no idea what caused it or what made it go away. There were no notifications and no new apps. I've had the phone for six months and never once saw this before. Does this ring any bells with anyone?

I've had the a lot of times, apparently some form of Google function.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Any sign of the new android verison being released on this, will it ever be released?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭barneyrub

Anyone had any problems with signal reception on the compact?
    Lost all network couple days ago. Assumed my sim was corrupted somehow but got replacement sim today and not working.

Off to Vodafone tomorrow but this should be covered by warranty shouldn't it? Phone is 18 months old.
    Tia

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭brevity

barneyrub wrote: »
    Anyone had any problems with signal reception on the compact?
    Lost all network couple days ago. Assumed my sim was corrupted somehow but got replacement sim today and not working.

Off to Vodafone tomorrow but this should be covered by warranty shouldn't it? Phone is 18 months old.
    Tia

Was it after an update?

I had something similar happen with my Z3 and had to send it away to Sony for them to fix it, they gave me a new phone.

Vodafone might tell you to try and repair (I'm with Meteor and thats what they said to me) it via the sony pc software but that didn't work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭barneyrub

No not after update. Just restarted the phone and it was gone completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Pangea wrote: »
    Any sign of the new android verison being released on this, will it ever be released?

xpericheck.com

xpericheck.com

That is telling me that my network and phone model are ready for the update, yet my phone is not giving me the option to update. Why would that be?

That is telling me that my network and phone model are ready for the update, yet my phone is not giving me the option to update. Why would that be?

You might want to try connecting your phone to your pc and checking for the update with sony's software.

Don't forget that if the site says the update is ready for Meteor IE then it's for phones that were sold originally by Meteor and have their custom firmware on there, even of you've since moved to another network.

I recently debranded my three phone to the generic UK firmware to get rid of the three boot logo and apps. You can do this too if you're still having issues getting the new update. I followed the instructions here: http://www.xperiablog.net/2016/03/12/install-xperia-marshmallow-using-flashtool-and-xperifirm-guide/

You might want to try connecting your phone to your pc and checking for the update with sony's software.

Don't forget that if the site says the update is ready for Meteor IE then it's for phones that were sold originally by Meteor and have their custom firmware on there, even of you've since moved to another network.

I recently debranded my three phone to the generic UK firmware to get rid of the three boot logo and apps. You can do this too if you're still having issues getting the new update. I followed the instructions here: http://www.xperiablog.net/2016/03/12/install-xperia-marshmallow-using-flashtool-and-xperifirm-guide/

Thanks!

I bought my phone from Three, who I'm still with, and the list says Three (3 IE) and my specific model are ready for the update, but still no notification. I'll connect it to my laptop like you said and see what happens.

Although, I'm hearing a lot of bad things about Marshmallow so I don't know if I'll go ahead with the update.

Thanks!

I bought my phone from Three, who I'm still with, and the list says Three (3 IE) and my specific model are ready for the update, but still no notification. I'll connect it to my laptop like you said and see what happens.

Although, I'm hearing a lot of bad things about Marshmallow so I don't know if I'll go ahead with the update.

Connected phone to laptop, sony software said my phone software was up to date. Also, it was as if the cable kept coming loose (even though it wasn't) because it kept intermittently saying "No device connected" etc etc.

I think it just wasn't meant to be! Blessing in disguise maybe.

Thanks!

Marshmallow is good other than a botched Bluetooth implementation, which in fairness doesn't seem to be Sonys fault as it affects other marshmallow devices from other manufacturers as well. Constant stuttering on Bluetooth audio.

Can't say doze makes any noticeable difference to me either, probably because I get a lot of pushover alerts.

• Advertisement

Marshmallow is good other than a botched Bluetooth implementation, which in fairness doesn't seem to be Sonys fault as it affects other marshmallow devices from other manufacturers as well. Constant stuttering on Bluetooth audio.

Can't say doze makes any noticeable difference to me either, probably because I get a lot of pushover alerts.

I hadn't heard about this problem, and I use Bluetooth audio a lot. Relieved I didn't get to update, now.

Advertisement