Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact announced at IFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

Are you sending yours directly to sony or through the mobile carrier you bought it from, I need to get mine repaired, as the screen is starting to come off, meteor told me to send it to some place up in Dublin for it to get repaired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

calnand wrote: »
    Are you sending yours directly to sony or through the mobile carrier you bought it from, I need to get mine repaired, as the screen is starting to come off, meteor told me to send it to some place up in Dublin for it to get repaired.

I'm sending it through three as that's my point of purchase but you can contact Sony through the XperiaCare app on the phone or phone their helpline and arrange for a courier to come pick it up from your home or office.

Meteor should be sending it back FOR you, they are your point of purchase, it's them that have to honour the warranty under consumer laws. If they were in any way a decent company they'd offer you a replacement while you're is off for repair as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,796 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Are you sending it for repair just to repair the rubber seal on the usb charging area? This has happened to me too but I'd rather spend €8 or so and get a new one delivered then mess around with warranties and being without the phone for who knows how long!

cormie wrote: »
    Are you sending it for repair just to repair the rubber seal on the usb charging area? This has happened to me too but I'd rather spend €8 or so and get a new one delivered then mess around with warranties and being without the phone for who knows how long!

Replacing it myself voids the warranty and they can tell if you do.

What, just to replace the seal itself with something like this? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-For-Sony-Xperia-Z3-Compact-Mini-D5803-D5833-Micro-SD-USB-Slot-Port-Cover-/262032641694?var=&hash=item3d025cce9e:m:mGUFBGLGn0nb_-SwczxiSgQ

It takes 5 seconds to pop out the old and put in a new one, where did you see it voids the warranty, that's crazy if so :mad:

• Advertisement

What, just to replace the seal itself with something like this? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-For-Sony-Xperia-Z3-Compact-Mini-D5803-D5833-Micro-SD-USB-Slot-Port-Cover-/262032641694?var=&hash=item3d025cce9e:m:mGUFBGLGn0nb_-SwczxiSgQ

It takes 5 seconds to pop out the old and put in a new one, where did you see it voids the warranty, that's crazy if so :mad:

Yup, voids the warranty.

Do you have a link to anywhere that confirms that? I'd just really rather not have to send anything away :(

Also, does anyone know of a magnetic charger that works well with one of them silicone x cases that have the slot for the magnetic charger?

Do you have a link to anywhere that confirms that? I'd just really rather not have to send anything away :(

Also, does anyone know of a magnetic charger that works well with one of them silicone x cases that have the slot for the magnetic charger?

I was told by sony over the phone that it would void the warranty and from googling it there are multiple accounts on message boards of people replacing them themselves and then sony saying the warranty was void because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

I was told by sony over the phone that it would void the warranty and from googling it there are multiple accounts on message boards of people replacing them themselves and then sony saying the warranty was void because of it.

That's standard of any company not just Sony. I used to deal with this regularly for the company I worked for. Once you touch a product for repair yourself you've voided the warranty. Doesn't matter if it's a sony phone, samsun tv, dell laptop etc... The fact is you (un-certified in the product repair) have replaced a factory part with a non factory part that you bought elsewhere. They cannot stand over the quality of the replacement or more importantly the quality of your work. Doesn't matter how trivial the repair is it's a standard contract clause.

I was thinking of this again, and simple solution, just keep the old slot cover and if you ever need to send it for warranty repair, put the old cover back on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭mightyreds

hi guys,
    any one know when replacing the screen if the connector at the bottom comes away a little on one side is the connecter still ok, seems to be just held on with a little bit of glue and not connected on one side to the screen at all.
    picture included

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The Z3 is a phone with a serious flaw. It will not accept an SD card - displays message "SD card damaged, try reformatting".

chicorytip wrote: »
    The Z3 is a phone with a serious flaw. It will not accept an SD card - displays message "SD card damaged, try reformatting".

Mine accepts every SD card I've ever put in it.

Get it repaired under warranty.

Has anyone else's micro usb port become loose? I thought it was the cables I was using first, but every cable seems to wobble in it and some require a big of wiggling before getting a charge. I can't really be without the phone, has anyone tried a DIY or local repair for something like this?

Has anyone else's micro usb port become loose? I thought it was the cables I was using first, but every cable seems to wobble in it and some require a big of wiggling before getting a charge. I can't really be without the phone, has anyone tried a DIY or local repair for something like this?

Yeah mine has, and the flap is buggered, need to get around sending it away for repairs.

I've ordered replacement flaps, no way I'm sending it away for something like that and would be very slow to send it for repairs for the loose usb port too. Would much rather just pop in somewhere with it and wait while they fix it up, unless it's just a case of pushing the surround of the usb port in a little with a flat head screwdriver or something ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

No Sony Phones accept SD cards, only microsd
    If its a microsd card, then you should re-format it, or if you have data on it, copy the data to a PC then format the card

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Yup. The flap is long gone too.

I've found that only certain USB cables will make a good connection now.

I'm back to using USB to charge as the magnetic port stopped working.

I take care of my phones, and I love this one but the built quality on them is a bit poo tbh.

Edit: Ah. here's how to fix it. Piece of piss really. :eek:

I wouldn't fancy opening it up myself, I'd rather just sit and wait while someone experienced does it :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I have other devices that are a little hit and miss with micro USB charging. I reckon there is an inherent design flaw that crops up with certain designs after a bit of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I'm thinking I might send my Z3 back to Sony to get the USB port replaced.

Anyone sent their phone back to get repaired under warranty? How long does it take?

quarryman wrote: »
    I'm thinking I might send my Z3 back to Sony to get the USB port replaced.

Anyone sent their phone back to get repaired under warranty? How long does it take?

Took about a week when I sent my z3 compact for repairs this time last year.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I just thought I'd recount the horror of a phone fall that occurred yesterday. My Z3 Compact was knocked off a kitchen counter straight down onto the tiled floor. Deep inhale as I check for the worst case scenario.......and it's perfect! €3 case FTW.

delly wrote: »
    I just thought I'd recount the horror of a phone fall that occurred yesterday. My Z3 Compact was knocked off a kitchen counter straight down onto the tiled floor. Deep inhale as I check for the worst case scenario.......and it's perfect! €3 case FTW.

Mine's been sent flying across rooms a few times and it's find bar a few small scratches because I was between tempered glass protectors.

I wouldn't use a phone without a case, they're put through far too many risk factors not to use one. Dropped all my smart phones (HTC desire, XT890 Razr i and My Z3 Compact) plenty of times from unnerving heights and never any issues whatsoever. Wrap up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,063 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I've avoided using my micro usb port for charging, mainly because some of the reports of screen cracks seemed to be related to stress near port
    Bought magnetic charge cable on ebay. Little bit fiddly but works ok. Also means the usb flap has survived

Have rubber case to make it less slippy and gives a bit of protection, no tempered glass protectors but has been okay so far

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭brevity

https://developer.sony.com/develop/smartphones-and-tablets/android-n-developer-preview/

We can try out Android N!

I still don't have Marshmallow, wondering if it will be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Got a notice this morning to upgrade my Z3 to Marshmallow. Couldn't see any reported issues or problems online with it. Anyone know of any?

Reason I ask is I got so badly burned by an old S3 update once, I've been paranoid ever since!

Cheers

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I upgraded this morning.

Warning that you lose Stamina mode and Ultra Stamina mode by upgrading.

Also i fyou are on Vodafone they are enforcing network name on status bar but there is a setting hidden away in

Settings -> More -> Network Name

To turn it off, note it's not found in the usual place of

Settings -> More -> Mobile Networks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

3rdDegree wrote: »
    Got a notice this morning to upgrade my Z3 to Marshmallow

Can't help you with your question but can I ask did Sony send the notice or your carrier? I've heard nothing

Advertisement