Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact announced at IFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

Afternoon all.

So the wife cracked the front screen on her Z3 last night, and wants to get it repaired with Sony. Anybody have any idea of costs involved, and turnaround times? I've tried asking then via live chat, but all they say is that Isles 5-7 days from when they receive the phone, and that as each repair is different, they can't give an estimate until they receive it.

And anybody know who the authorised repairers are for here?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

160euros, around 10days, wife took it to Meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭brevity

Afternoon all.

So the wife cracked the front screen on her Z3 last night, and wants to get it repaired with Sony. Anybody have any idea of costs involved, and turnaround times? I've tried asking then via live chat, but all they say is that Isles 5-7 days from when they receive the phone, and that as each repair is different, they can't give an estimate until they receive it.

And anybody know who the authorised repairers are for here?

When the Android update broke mine I had to send it to Sony in Dublin. It was still under warranty so it didn't cost a thing (they replaced the phone) and it took about 7 or 8 days.

AstraMonti wrote: »
    160euros, around 10days, wife took it to Meteor.

Nice one AM. Thanks for that. Did Meteor send it to Sony, or to the likes of Sigma?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I am not sure where it sent it, but it counts as an official repair and the warranty continues.

• Advertisement

AstraMonti wrote: »
    I am not sure where it sent it, but it counts as an official repair and the warranty continues.

Cheers for that AM.

brevity wrote: »
    When the Android update broke mine I had to send it to Sony in Dublin. It was still under warranty so it didn't cost a thing (they replaced the phone) and it took about 7 or 8 days.

Cheers brevity. How did you go about getting the address to send it to? I've tried live chat, and emailing Sony, but no joy so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

So yesterday my camera started working again after water getting in phone,well back camera working,icon for switching to front camera not appearing.
    Also noticed today my battery which is in stamina mode is draining way faster than it used to. I installed the Sony update last night so I'm not sure if it's something to do with that or the water ( had my phone turned off and in a bowl of rice up until yest)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭brevity

Cheers brevity. How did you go about getting the address to send it to? I've tried live chat, and emailing Sony, but no joy so far.

They sent me this form. The address is on it and its freepost :)

brevity wrote: »
    They sent me this form. The address is on it and its freepost :)

Nice one again Brevity. Despite a couple of mails, they still forgot to mail me that form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,801 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hey guys, I had the update prompt yesterday morning and waited until I was going to bed to install it, I pressed install and it started then I fell asleep, I woke up hours later and it's still just saying "installing" with no visible progress :(

Any idea what I can do? I don't want to restart in the middle of it. Looks like the phone still functions as normal.

EDIT: Installed PC companion and was able to do the update through this. When it installed 5.1.1 I checked for updates again and it still said "installing" like before... but then it said updates couldn't be installed at this time and gave green tick for having the latest version so all good now I hope :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,446 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I've been having a few glitches since updating to 5.1.1. Freezing and just running slowly.

My Vodafone versus is fine though which is odd

Jaysus, does anyone else have cerberus app and have it set to take a photo every time a wrong unlock code is entered? Well it's just going to show how many unlock attempts are being made in my pocket with me being unaware, and it's a lot more with the recent android upgrade than before and that's because you don't need to press ok after entering the unlock code. It doesn't seem it actually unlocks any quicker either, looks like the unlock numbers animate off screen and takes just as long as pressing ok took to actually see the unlocked screen :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Can't you just up the amount of unlock attempts before it takes the photo, haven't tried the app since I updated..

Well I'm getting something like 60 photos when it starts going off in my phone, so unless every would be thief tries 60 combinations, it's as good as just having the feature turned off, but could be a vital part of recovering a lost/stolen phone. Probably just have to put up with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Antarctica

How are people going who have had the Z3 phone since launch? Thinking of getting one new. Probably the full size one.

Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Antarctica wrote: »
    How are people going who have had the Z3 phone since launch? Thinking of getting one new. Probably the full size one.

Thanks

I've had the z3c for about 7 months now. It is without doubt the best I've had, it does everything I need and the battery life is great. I'd be picky in my tech choices, there is always something irks me, but not in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Best battery out there in a phone. Camera is excellent and video, can't really fault it. I'm on my second first was stolen, had an iPhone 6 in-between but returned to the Sony for the battery, the anxiety the iPhone or Samsung would cause you worrying about power just isn't worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Lads, I got the z3c from work a couple of weeks ago and I've yet to fully move over from my trusty HTC one. One thing I've noted from limited use of the z3c (apart from the battery lasting 4 days - I'm sure that'll come down with more extensive use) is the amount of ads popping up on it - quite annoying, never had any on the HTC as there's an add blocker built into the rom.

Anyway, the z3c is already rooted, can anybody recommend a rom/ad blocker combo? I've had a quick look on XDA but I'm not seeing any in built blockers yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Antarctica

May wait a month, techradar reckon there will be a new xperia phone announced in september, possibly leading to a price drop for the Z3

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

theteal wrote: »
    Lads, I got the z3c from work a couple of weeks ago and I've yet to fully move over from my trusty HTC one. One thing I've noted from limited use of the z3c (apart from the battery lasting 4 days - I'm sure that'll come down with more extensive use) is the amount of ads popping up on it - quite annoying, never had any on the HTC as there's an add blocker built into the rom.

Anyway, the z3c is already rooted, can anybody recommend a rom/ad blocker combo? I've had a quick look on XDA but I'm not seeing any in built blockers yet.
    Where are they coming up? Can't say I've experienced the same.

Had Z3 compact since close enough to launch. I'm not someone who likes to get a new phone every 6 months to keep up with the latest gadgets, I just need a device that works and works well and will last me as long as possible and I don't need to mess around setting anything up again and again.

It's a great phone, I use it quite intensely when processing power etc has real life implications. I upgraded from a Razr i and there's a notable difference between the amount you can do at once. Mine gets heavy use in vehicle where I could be taking a call while google maps is navigating and music playing. I might need to check a calendar date during the call and where the razr i would have lagged before to the point of having to say to a customer "sorry just a minute", the Z3 has no lag and it's small things like that which make a big difference to it's general smoothness and reliability.

Battery is great, you just don't need to worry about running out during the day, it's just not a concern anymore.

There's a few little annoyances, but when I say little, I mean I know it's not perfect, but I can't think of what the nags are as I'm typing so they aren't significant.

I've heard stories of people saying their screens have cracked with no force at all and I've been worried about this, but I've dropped mine several times from several different heights and it's always come away fine,, I have it in a TPU/silicon case of course.

Actually, does anyone have an update on rooting the Z3? Initially I wanted to wait before buying it until I knew that cyanmodgen had a version that could do OTA updates for it but I decided to go ahead and buy it just using the stock rom as there was issues with the camera if rooted. Has there been much progress with that?

I just noticed that the contacts I've added since yesterday are showing up twice in my contact list :confused: I think it's only the ones who have a what's app account too but this was never the case before and those with what's app would just show up once in my contact list and when you click into them you see all info. When I edited the name of one of these contacts, the what's app one didn't change and the only option when you go into the what's app one is "share" :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

I believe my z3c has just commit suicide. Just arrived on holidays in Croatia and I try to connect to hotel wifi. Screen turns off , no buttons responsive, have to do a hard reset. This happens 5-6 times over the day and now won't even hard reset.
    Getting very close to 6 months since I gotten it too. Messaged 3 today to have it logged on my account that the problem started today.
    Not sure what the warranty time frame is. Never been in water have had an incipio case on it since week 2.
    Gutted. I loved that little mite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

gerire wrote: »
    I believe my z3c has just commit suicide. Just arrived on holidays in Croatia and I try to connect to hotel wifi. Screen turns off , no buttons responsive, have to do a hard reset. This happens 5-6 times over the day and now won't even hard reset.
    Getting very close to 6 months since I gotten it too. Messaged 3 today to have it logged on my account that the problem started today.
    Not sure what the warranty time frame is. Never been in water have had an incipio case on it since week 2.
    Gutted. I loved that little mite

EU law states 2 year warranty on all electrical goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

gerire wrote:
    Are you sure it is not an app in the background causing it? Sounds like an app to me. It happens - apps can continue to work in the background don't forget!
    Leave it in safe mode for the day and see if it still crashes. if it doesn't, a simple factory reset will save you the price of a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭sharkey 25

Hi lads, I have recently bought a z3 and love the phone so far. There's a couple of things that I'd like some advice on. Firstly, every time I plug in headphones the music player starts. I have looked in settings to try and stop this but can't find anything. Has anyone had this happen and able to stop it?
    The other issue is that the app search at the top of the screen disappears sometimes.
    Any advice is appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

For your radio starting there'll be an app called Smart Connect on your phone, open that and see what events are set up. You can adjust them or switch them off.

Advertisement