Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact announced at IFA

Options

Comments

LG1234 wrote: »
    Is everyone happy with the Z3? Trying to decide if its worth €70 to buy and €40pm for 2 years over a Huawei G7 which is free and €25pm for 2 years...

I reckon you'd be crazy to get the Z3 right now with the Z3+ around the corner. Either wait for that, or wait for the Z3 price to drop when it comes out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Basil3 wrote: »
    I reckon you'd be crazy to get the Z3 right now with the Z3+ around the corner. Either wait for that, or wait for the Z3 price to drop when it comes out.

The Z3+ has tiny differences over the Z3
    http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=6539&idPhone2=6878

A major difference is the amount of storage as standard (32gb instead of 16gb) so it's probably going to come in around €50 more than the Z3. I wouldn't imagine the Z3 is going to drop massively in price.

If I didn't have the Z3 and the Z3+ was imminent I'd wait a couple of weeks. If it was more than a month away I'd get the Z3.

To answer the other posters question, I've had mine since before Christmas and am happy with it. If I dropped mine today and smashed it, the next phone I'd be considering would be a Z3 :)

I've been using Android since 2010 and normally sell my old phone and get a new one every year. This year (so far) I haven't seen a phone that I'd want to replace my current model.

timetogo wrote: »

A major difference is the amount of storage as standard (32gb instead of 16gb) so it's probably going to come in around €50 more than the Z3. I wouldn't imagine the Z3 is going to drop massively in price.

If I didn't have the Z3 and the Z3+ was imminent I'd wait a couple of weeks. If it was more than a month away I'd get the Z3.

To answer the other posters question, I've had mine since before Christmas and am happy with it. If I dropped mine today and smashed it, the next phone I'd be considering would be a Z3 :)

I've been using Android since 2010 and normally sell my old phone and get a new one every year. This year (so far) I haven't seen a phone that I'd want to replace my current model.

Yeah, I would wait to see if there's a price drop though....it would be pretty hard to charge full price for Z3 when the + arrives.

Personally, if it was me, I would go for the Z3 either way. I've gone from the HTC M8 to M9, which is similar to the change in SoC from Z3 to Z3+ (Snapdragon 801 to 810). I reckon my M8 had better battery life overall. Sony have also decided to reduce battery size in the Z3+. I would have no doubt that the Z3 has the better battery life overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

timetogo wrote: »

I moved from a HTC One (M7) to the Z3c and the next phone I will be gettiung will be HTC. The Z3 comes close but in certain areas its a bit of a let down. Not a bad phone all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

TheChevron wrote: »
    I moved from a HTC One (M7) to the Z3c and the next phone I will be gettiung will be HTC. The Z3 comes close but in certain areas its a bit of a let down. Not a bad phone all the same.

I just got the Z3 Compact for my missus (I've the Z3). I've been messing around with the Compact and would have no problem using it as my main phone. It's a bit of a bargain at the moment if you buy it with a plan compared to this years models. Its price is around the same price as the HTC One Mini.

I like the smaller size for my pocket and I haven't seen any performance difference between it and its larger brother in average use. I don't really play games on these devices so all the apps I do use work fine.

I'm interested to know where the Z3c is a bit of a let down compared to the HTC (M9 I presume).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I very frequently add contacts as I use the phone for business, a lot of the time I'd put a number in on my dialer app and go to create new contact, but the next screen is the last contact I saved and then I've to put the new number in again which is a little annoying. Has anyone experienced the same?

Also, for whatever reason since upgrading, I am somehow always lowering the volume of the ringer without knowing it. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Since I installed lollipop my Z3Compact throw feature isn't working, I like to use it for viewing photo on my Sony tv. Anyone have any idea what's wrong?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Has anyone else noticed if you're streaming music via Bluetooth and a call comes in, that the music is playing slightly slower when it restarts?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Irish94

I am going to America for a few weeks. If I 'unlock' my Sony Xperia Z3, will it effect the warranty or the insurance? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

it shouldnt, how are you unlocking the phone ? Are you getting a code?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Irish94 wrote: »
    I am going to America for a few weeks. If I 'unlock' my Sony Xperia Z3, will it effect the warranty or the insurance? Thanks.

Warenty not affected. I unlocked mine (cost €25 in a shop near the cinema on parnell street) before heading to India this year and had a warranty repair done upon my return.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Irish94

billbond4 wrote: »
    it shouldnt, how are you unlocking the phone ? Are you getting a code?

I was planning to unlock it as soon as I arrive in America. I'm not sure of the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Irish94 wrote: »
    I was planning to unlock it as soon as I arrive in America. I'm not sure of the process.

It's easier to get done in Ireland. Go to any of the mobile repair shops around Parnel/Moore street and if you pay more than €25 you're being ripped off. You give them €25 on the day and then 48 hours later they text you a code, enter the code and you're done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,487 ✭✭✭brevity

brevity wrote: »
    Just an update on this, have to send the phone to sony engineers as the repair didn't fix the problem. Very frustrating.

Sony sent me out a new phone so I'm up and running again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

Any one got the Z3+?
    I'm unsure whether I'll get this or the Samsung s6

Got the alert to download and install 5.1. Anyone one else get it? I'm a bit apprehensive considering what happened last time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

I got it. Didnt download yet.

Just updated there. Haven't noticed a huge amount initially, maybe around the settings drag down menu, just glad it didn't break anything.

These are supposed to be the changes:
    – Improvements to volume and silent mode control, more control of your alerts, simplified and enhanced design
    – Integration of LinkedIn with your Calendar and Contacts
    – Camera focus, speed and accuracy improvements in Superior Auto mode
    – Many new features for Xperia in Business, enhancing enterprise support for Xperia
    – Now take pictures from the camera using Sony SmartWatch 3; use the SW3 as a remote shutter button
    – Instant calendar events – create & share smart events directly from any email
    – Calendar agenda in Email – no need to switch apps to check upcoming events
    – Richer Xperia themes
    – New Settings menu icons
    – Additional options for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth in notification menu

Update seems good. No complaints so far and everything is nice and snappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

What's the general consensus on the Z3? In the market for a new phone at the moment and it's standing out for me. Specs look good, nice design and perfect size. Are there any other phones out there in a similar size that would rival it?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

What's the general consensus on the Z3? In the market for a new phone at the moment and it's standing out for me. Specs look good, nice design and perfect size. Are there any other phones out there in a similar size that would rival it?

Cheers
    Brilliant phone. Ive had iphones and Samsungs but Z3 beats them hands down. Its quick,slick and does everything a smartphone should do,without the other gimmicks. Defo get an Ultimate Shield screen protector,I dropped my Z3 twice and the Shield took the force and cracked but protected the screen,best £10 I ever spent on amazon,I'm on my 3rd one now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Cheers

I can only speak from my own experience, but having had a HTC Desire and then a Samsung Galaxy S3, the Xperia Z3 is the best phone I've had so far. Reliable with no real issues, great battery life, like the size and design. Very pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

It's an excellent choice of phone, support is a bit meh.. but as a phone it is great.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Just for anyone who gets the annoying 75% internal memory full message all the time, there is an app called Memory that you can force stop. You have to do it again if you restart your phone, but it's an easy thing if you don't want to follow the more complex permanent methods that are out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

camera has stopped working on my Z3C, water got in on a fishing trip, was in my pocket but very rainy day, camera lens was fogged up internally yesterday and sensor still fogged up. (my own fault as the SD port cap fell off and i hadnt put it back on)
    Phone is working fine otherwise. Any chance camera will work again? have phone sitting in a bowl of rice at the moment anything else that might help?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭long_b

LaGlisse wrote: »
    camera has stopped working on my Z3C, water got in on a fishing trip, was in my pocket but very rainy day, camera lens was fogged up internally yesterday and sensor still fogged up. (my own fault as the SD port cap fell off and i hadnt put it back on?
    Phone is working fine otherwise. Any chance camera will work again? have phone sitting in a bowl of rice at the moment anything else that might help?

People recommend a day or two in the airing cupboard in the rice with all flaps open. Make sure you don't get rice in mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭statto25

Got the alert to download and install 5.1. Anyone one else get it? I'm a bit apprehensive considering what happened last time :(

Got this today. Contacts have all disappeared, luckily I have most of them synced. Text messages are also gone. Phone has also restarted a number of times. Why did I update!! :mad:

statto25 wrote: »
    Got this today. Contacts have all disappeared, luckily I have most of them synced. Text messages are also gone. Phone has also restarted a number of times. Why did I update!! :mad:

I feel your pain. So frustrating when an update balls things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭statto25

I feel your pain. So frustrating when an update balls things up.

I put it into Safe Mode there and updated anything outstanding and for some reason its absolutely flying now! It spent an hour before that absolutely red hot and restarting. I will keep an eye on it and see how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Got this also yesterday. No problems or issues. One thing I like: Removed the need to hit Enter when you enter a security PIN on unlock screen. Just enter the X digit code and the phone unlocks.

Advertisement