Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact announced at IFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,698 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Saw Z3 Compact is going for 375e on Amazon DE, any downsides to buying from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Saw Z3 Compact is going for 375e on Amazon DE, any downsides to buying from there?

Bought my one from here, had no problems.

The only downside (ish) was getting the two pin (EU) plug rather than a three pin plug for charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

54kroc wrote: »
    I also use this case from Casemate, it protects the phone but it does add a bit of bulk.

Any chance you could post a few snaps of your phone in this case?? I was considering getting this but I don't think the pictures online really reflect how well the phone is protected (or not).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

EmptyTree wrote: »
    Any chance you could post a few snaps of your phone in this case?? I was considering getting this but I don't think the pictures online really reflect how well the phone is protected (or not).

Here you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Private Snafu

glasso wrote: »
    Will have to contact Sony Ireland I guess and see if you get any joy. Let us know how it goes. I guess if it doesn't look like an impact crack you might have a good chance.

Had the corner of my Z3's screen lift out of the blue about two months ago. Returned it to CPW, who initially tried to wash their hands of it. Just be sure to do your research regarding screen issues with the Z1, Z2 and Z3 and be ready to inform your retailer of them.

• Advertisement

Had the corner of my Z3's screen lift out of the blue about two months ago. Returned it to CPW, who initially tried to wash their hands of it. Just be sure to do your research regarding screen issues with the Z1, Z2 and Z3 and be ready to inform your retailer of them.

what do you mean "lift" -did they replace it in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Is it possible to downgrade, back to Kit Kat or whatever was originally with the Z3c? I'm pretty sure my battery life has deteriorated pretty badly after upgrading. The battery life used to be amazing, now it drains quite fast even with little use. There's a few other annoyances with Lollipop too so if it's a simple process, I'd prefer just to revert back for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

cormie wrote: »
    Is it possible to downgrade, back to Kit Kat or whatever was originally with the Z3c? I'm pretty sure my battery life has deteriorated pretty badly after upgrading. The battery life used to be amazing, now it drains quite fast even with little use. There's a few other annoyances with Lollipop too so if it's a simple process, I'd prefer just to revert back for now.

Unfortunately, it is not. The only way you can "downgrade" is to root the phone and put some custom ROM onto it. I had to do that when a Samsung upgrade destroyed my S3 a year or so ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Ughhh damn, thanks for letting me know anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Private Snafu

Not 100% sure but I think you can use flashtool to downgrade. Can't link atm but search on the XDA forums

• Advertisement

Not 100% sure but I think you can use flashtool to downgrade. Can't link atm but search on the XDA forums

Correct. Root the phone and flash a custom ROM onto it. That voids the warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

Anyone ever had problems with the headphone jack? The sound goes wonky anytime there's a bit of movement. Headphones work fine with my tablet.

I like the phone but this could be the second time I need to send it back for repair. :(

Daith wrote: »
    Anyone ever had problems with the headphone jack? The sound goes wonky anytime there's a bit of movement. Headphones work fine with my tablet.

I like the phone but this could be the second time I need to send it back for repair. :(

No, never had this problem and I use headphones all time when walking and jogging. I know you checked the headphones on your tablet, but might be an idea to check a different set of headphones on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

3rdDegree wrote: »
    No, never had this problem and I use headphones all time when walking and jogging. I know you checked the headphones on your tablet, but might be an idea to check a different set of headphones on the phone.

Yeah I just did and same thing happening. Time to buy a cheap phone while i send this one back.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

Right lads, after following this thread for ages, I upgraded my phone to Lollipop on 3rd April using the links provided in this thread. Have similiar issues since with various things which have already mentioned.

However, a problem that I have come across is that after about a week of it being on constantly (the phone is rarely turned off) the back light will stay on for the screen and drain the battery until the phone has been restarted.

Just curious has anyone come across this problem.

Should mention I have a Z3 Compact.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

What is the timeout set for the screen to turn off?

Also, does it stay on, even after pushing the power button to put the phone to sleep?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

antodeco wrote: »
    What is the timeout set for the screen to turn off?

Also, does it stay on, even after pushing the power button to put the phone to sleep?

Screen is set to turn off after 30 seconds of inactivity. Pressing the power button to sleep turns the display black as normal but doesnt turn the screen off completely. There is still a shine from the screen like it is on but its black.

madfcuker wrote: »
    Screen is set to turn off after 30 seconds of inactivity. Pressing the power button to sleep turns the display black as normal but doesnt turn the screen off completely. There is still a shine from the screen like it is on but its black.

Any new apps installed? Could be set to keep the back light on,or set to not allow sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭barneyrub

How are people batteries and charging since the update? Battery is def draining quicker and I think charging is taking longer. Took 3 hours this morning from dead. Had it in stamina mode with all wifi etc turned off. Then it only got to 95% and wouldn't charge any further?

Noticed no difference being honest. Phone was unplugged at 7:45am and now, at 18:25 its still at 60%

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

antodeco wrote: »
    Noticed no difference being honest. Phone was unplugged at 7:45am and now, at 18:25 its still at 60%

Same. I took it off charge at 7AM this morning. Used the GPS for about 40 minutes and other general phone usage throughout the day. Now it's at 51%.
    It does charge up to 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Irish94

TheChevron wrote: »
    Right, Ive just tried to turn off my security pattern but that function is greyed out. I cant even turn off my security. Any idea whats stopping me doing that?

Edit: http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/88306/how-can-i-disable-the-screen-lock-password-in-lollipop

So I did all that and I still cant see any notification icons inh the top bar.

I diont want any notifications popping up on screen, so I have notififications set to off. It seems like there is no middlke ground. Its off or on fully.

I had the same problem, I had the 'slide up' option to access my phone. I had to put a security pattern on my phone last night for just 30 minutes, presuming that I could switch it back to the 'slide up' option after. I couldn't and I thought it was due to the update or something. So I backed up my data and did the 'factory reset'.

Fuming. I lost all of my messages and a lot of my contacts :mad:. Some of the messages were very important too. Is there any way I can recover the messages and the contacts? Rooting my phone is not an option.

The worst part of it all is, I've been following this thread since it started and in the past 10 days or so I just haven't had the time to read it due to work and sport. Today I finally get the the time and see this. :(:(

Always read your threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭barneyrub

timetogo wrote: »
    Same. I took it off charge at 7AM this morning. Used the GPS for about 40 minutes and other general phone usage throughout the day. Now it's at 51%.
    It does charge up to 100%.
    Thanks, I've only noticed it a couple times. It got to 94 and 95% and just didn't charge fully. It does charge to 100% at other times.

How long should a full charge take?

Having said that it charged to 95% yest at 11, Now nearly 24hours later it's at 70%!

Irish94 wrote: »
    I had the same problem, I had the 'slide up' option to access my phone. I had to put a security pattern on my phone last night for just 30 minutes, presuming that I could switch it back to the 'slide up' option after. I couldn't and I thought it was due to the update or something. So I backed up my data and did the 'factory reset'.

Fuming. I lost all of my messages and a lot of my contacts :mad:. Some of the messages were very important too. Is there any way I can recover the messages and the contacts? Rooting my phone is not an option.

The worst part of it all is, I've been following this thread since it started and in the past 10 days or so I just haven't had the time to read it due to work and sport. Today I finally get the the time and see this. :(:(

Always read your threads.

I've posted this solution more than once, but boards isn't really the place to come to for general phone issues. You're better off googling, or using XDA. I guarantee you could find a solution much faster. Most people here are only 'general users'. In any case....you don't have to read back everything, you just need to use the search function. Searching for 'security pattern' or 'greyed out' or a combination of the two would have led you to the answer.

When you say you backed up your data, where did you back it up to? You have an Android phone, all of your contacts should be google contacts. I'm still amazed how many times people say they lose their contacts....there's no excuse in this day and age. Same goes for photos....back them up to Google or Dropbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Irish94

Basil3 wrote: »
    I've posted this solution more than once, but boards isn't really the place to come to for general phone issues. You're better off googling, or using XDA. I guarantee you could find a solution much faster. Most people here are only 'general users'. In any case....you don't have to read back everything, you just need to use the search function. Searching for 'security pattern' or 'greyed out' or a combination of the two would have led you to the answer.

When you say you backed up your data, where did you back it up to? You have an Android phone, all of your contacts should be google contacts. I'm still amazed how many times people say they lose their contacts....there's no excuse in this day and age. Same goes for photos....back them up to Google or Dropbox.

I originally thought I had my data backed up to my google account. All my photos are backed up to Google.

@ Underlined - I thought so too. Around 60% of my contacts have been deleted. Is there anyway I can retrieve my messages or the lost contacts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Irish94 wrote: »
    I originally thought I had my data backed up to my google account. All my photos are backed up to Google.

@ Underlined - I thought so too. Around 60% of my contacts have been deleted. Is there anyway I can retrieve my messages or the lost contacts?

If they're not in Gmail contacts they're gone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭leche solara

Am thinking of upgrading from Z1 to Z3. I notice there are several variations D6603, D6653, D6633. The 6633 is dual sim which doesn't really interest me, but I am wondering if they will all work in Ireland. The differences seem to be mostly about 3g and 4g frequency bands.

I am looking at the 6653, but before buying want to be sure if it will work properly here. Anyone know?

Which model are the shops here selling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Just noticed last night that the magnetic charging port on mine is coming loose. I've been using mine for the last couple of months. I've googled around and it seems it's only held in by glue.

Has anybody had the same problem and if so what was the vendor like to deal with. Did they accept it as a warranty repair or did they try to charge half the price of the phone to get it fixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

My wifi on my Z3 keeps dropping out since I upgraded to Lollipop. Reset router, changed channel, no joy. Connects and disconnects every 10 seconds, very annoying. Anyone got a fix?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

toby2111 wrote: »
    My wifi on my Z3 keeps dropping out since I upgraded to Lollipop. Reset router, changed channel, no joy. Connects and disconnects every 10 seconds, very annoying. Anyone got a fix?

If you are on UPC, then this should work
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057415048&page=/

Advertisement