Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Chromecast

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

vkid wrote: »
    Is there anything this will do that screen mirroring my samsung wont?

Well if you have a wife and kids that keep robbing your phone for tv, netflix, streaming you can do those without tying up your phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Will this work with film on TV app.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

robertxxx wrote:
    Will this work with film on TV app.

Yep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Great now I have reserved one in blanchardstown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

vkid wrote: »
    Is there anything this will do that screen mirroring my samsung wont?

It won't drain your phones battery for starters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

moodrater wrote: »
    Well if you have a wife and kids that keep robbing your phone for tv, netflix, streaming you can do those without tying up your phone.

You can, you can do whatever you like on your phone while it's streaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

You can, you can do whatever you like on your phone while it's streaming.

Screen mirroring?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Screen mirroring drains battery so quick though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Can I stream HD content to my TV from my laptop with this. Plex is pain . . need an alternative

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

LocalCast app works well on tablets and phones which are not supported, unselect the internal player and select the LocalCast app as the player, this is for other streaming sites like Sxxxxxx

This also allows you to turn off phone or tablet screen too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭adcrawley

Thanks OP, great spot

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just bought one in Tesco yesterday for €40:( don't suppose their no quibble guarantee is any use to me now ?

Also I'm using an ipad so the only real use for Chromecast is YouTube as Google won't allow you to download the Chrome browser cast extension so you can cast webpages or pretty much anything you want from the internet onto your tv. I'm not sure if there's an iOS app that works around the problem, if there is I can't find a fix. Which means the chromecast is quite limited on the iPad.

Luckily I'm planning on switching from ipad to android in the next few weeks though I was thinking of taking the Chromecast back to Tesco on account of it. The Currys offer at €30 makes me want to do it even more !

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just bought one in Tesco yesterday for €40:( don't suppose their no quibble guarantee is any use to me now ?

Also I'm using an ipad so the only real use for Chromecast is YouTube as Google won't allow you to download the Chrome browser cast extension so you can cast webpages or pretty much anything you want from the internet onto your tv. I'm not sure if there's an iOS app that works around the problem, if there is I can't find a fix. Which means the chromecast is quite limited on the iPad.

Luckily I'm planning on switching from ipad to android in the next few weeks though I was thinking of taking the Chromecast back to Tesco on account of it. The Currys offer at €30 makes me want to do it even more !
    Package it all back up, say you want to return it as it's not what you're after then buy one in Curry's?

Just can idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,270 ✭✭✭✭ted1

An Apple TV while more expensive is what you need

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Good deal for 20 quid. Had to add a bit more for the free shipping so ended up with this :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

I see tesco in the uk are after undercutting Amazon. Do they sell the Chromecast over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Can I stream HD content to my TV from my laptop with this. Plex is pain . . need an alternative

There's a chrome extension called Videostream which works very well. Just select the file and hit play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Package it all back up, say you want to return it as it's not what you're after then buy one in Curry's?

Just can idea.

or tell them that you received one (or to give) as a present and were unaware of this when you bought it

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

as Google won't allow you to download the Chrome browser cast extension

No, Apple's ridiculous walled garden won't as they don't allow replacement browsers that don't actually use Safari to do everything underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭pcasso

Now £18 on amazon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Ordered yesterday from Amazon at £20. Just popped on to live chat there and they've applied the £18 price to my order.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,501 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Bought 2 in Currys in Carrickmines yesterday.

"You never know when you might need a spare chromecast" - Socrates

• Registered Users Posts: 8,859 ✭✭✭Soarer

I've a 2tb media player with a few spare USB ports on it. I normally download whatever, throw it on a USB key, and either save it to the hdd or watch direct from the key.

Any reason as to why the Chromecast will make my life better?

Edit: Unless you can watch Wiziwig direct from it, which would save me having to bring the laptop to the living room!

pcasso wrote: »
    Now £18 on amazon

Amazon refunded £10 to me as I paid £30 for it, temped to ask to see if they'll refund £2 :rolleyes:

This is the gift that keeps on giving :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Paid £30.75 but think I've got the 12 quids use out of it already anyway, mustn't grumble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

Soarer wrote: »
    I've a 2tb media player with a few spare USB ports on it. I normally download whatever, throw it on a USB key, and either save it to the hdd or watch direct from the key.

Any reason as to why the Chromecast will make my life better?

Edit: Unless you can watch Wiziwig direct from it, which would save me having to bring the laptop to the living room!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQFSgB4bOc0
    Havent tried this as I don;t have a chromecast but would defo buy it if it works

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Mike1961

Thanks OP ... I think!!!

I've just reserved one ... I don't know why . cos I already have one:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Have one of these already but for that price i just grabbed another one. Might just keep one plugged into each TV. Super little piece of kit for that price!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭SScope

Thanks OP picked mine up today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭comewatmay

I have a normal tv non-smart. I have an I phone.

What exactly can it do for me?

Apologies I'm very non-IT

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement