Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Chromecast

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Could I stream sky go in a chrome tab to my tv?

Nope, Sky disable MiraCast which it interoperates Android Mirroring as.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 412 ✭✭better call saul

Nope, Sky disable MiraCast which it interoperates Android Mirroring as.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

surely there must be a way around this? can you mirror your desktop in totality?

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

surely there must be a way around this? can you mirror your desktop in totality?

Not currently unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

£20 in curry.co.UK. thanks op! 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Bought one of these ages ago, but not really useful to me, I'm wondering is there such a thing as an app that can stream other apps, I.e a container app?

Doesn't have to be chromecast related

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

£20 in curry.co.UK. thanks op! 😉

Cheaper on amazon now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Etnies wrote: »
    Bought one of these ages ago, but not really useful to me, I'm wondering is there such a thing as an app that can stream other apps, I.e a container app?

Doesn't have to be chromecast related

Are you android?

The Chromecast app now let's your directly mirror your phone screen to TV now....

So just run the app from there?

I was playing GTA on my TV the other day...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Fieldog wrote: »
    I was playing GTA on my TV the other day...

What an age we live in :pac:

Thanks for posting OP and to all those with app/functionality suggestions, ordered one from Amazon last night. Not dispatching for 1-3 weeks but will hopefully be worth the wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Yeah that's true. I just never quite "got" reddit in terms of finding this sort of info. There's quite a lot of reading to find any gold by chance and they tend not to explain what they're talking about, just through out names here and there. Boards people are so much more helpful!

set one up & they'll come. :pac:
    should get a few from this thread & the android forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

penguin88 wrote: »
    What an age we live in :pac:

Thanks for posting OP and to all those with app/functionality suggestions, ordered one from Amazon last night. Not dispatching for 1-3 weeks but will hopefully be worth the wait![/quote

Have 3 of these great yokes!!!

Chromecast Cast Screen Feature - How To Mirror Sc…: http://youtu.be/e-gooWoLTho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I said I'd chance my arm and contact Amazon, they agreed to refund the difference in what I paid!

Meaning I got a Chromecast for less than £15! :)

Couldn't be happier!

So to those of you that purchased a Chromecast off Amazon recently, contact them and they'll refund the difference :)
    Fair ****s man.I asked on live chat and got the refund.I bought it on July 17th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

They're €22 in Dublin airport in Dixon's if your flying out.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Fair ****s man.I asked on live chat and got the refund.I bought it on July 17th.

That's great news!

Yeah Amazon are seriously accommodating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

If you have Apple TV is it worth getting a chrome cast?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Is this a good idea for wirelessly connecting an android tablet to a projector using the app??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

TheDriver wrote: »
    Is this a good idea for wirelessly connecting an android tablet to a projector using the app??

If the projector has an hdmi port yes it is

I have 2 of these coming from Amazon this week. Anyone know some really good sites that will help with setup and using these with apps including the ones we dare not mention on here? I can't get my head around Reddit so others would be good.
    PS I know I could Google but want some recommended sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

I have 2 of these coming from Amazon this week. Anyone know some really good sites that will help with setup and using these with apps including the ones we dare not mention on here? I can't get my head around Reddit so others would be good.
    PS I know I could Google but want some recommended sites.
    I wish someone on here would set up a Udemy course on how best to use the Chromecast. I've had one for about a year (bought in US) and rarely use it in Ireland. I have a subscription to HuluPlus which at first I was having problems with until I signed up for a VPN service. Then it was laggy casting from laptop to TV, which is prob down to my internet connection. I'm really not making good use of the Chromecast device and would love to hear some recommended apps too. Wish I knew what is the app that we daren't mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

If the projector has an hdmi port yes it is

Is it as simply as connect chromecast to projector or TV (even using a HDMI to VGA adaptor?) and then put chromecast app on tablet or does something need to give them IP addresses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭bluedoor27

I am not sure if this was posted before but google Chromecast is now down to £18 on the currys.co.uk website. I think it's a bank holiday deal. It works out at just over €22 on the xe currency converter. Not able to post a link as I am a new poster. Maybe someone could help with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Bought it on amazon for £18

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

TheDriver wrote: »
    Is it as simply as connect chromecast to projector or TV (even using a HDMI to VGA adaptor?) and then put chromecast app on tablet or does something need to give them IP addresses?

Pretty much, yes. There isn't a chromecast app as such, certain apps have chromecast support built-in, or you can use an app like localcast to play stuff that's on your tablet or phone. Setup is very easy, just a matter of following on-screen instructions, although there is some fiddly switching between your home router and the chromecast (which is essentially a router as well) during the initial setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I bought this just because it was so cheap, had previously been using the app that can't be mentioned and allcast to cast to my ouya.
    Will see how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,408 ✭✭✭droidman123

This might help people unfamiliar with Chromecast
    fieldguide.gizmodo.com/10-tricks-to-make-yourself-a-chromecast-master-1606622927

Also this,not sure how up to date this one is

www.reddit.com/r/chromecast/wiki/apps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Just an FYI for people looking for a full desktop mirror/extending setup. I have a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro laptop (has WiDi built-in) and just bought a Netgear PTV3000 (WiDi receiver, plugs into any TV with HDMI) for £49 which gives me a wireless extended display to my TV. Could have used the mini-HDMI connection but I like to use the laptop at the same time so it made sense to remove the need for a cable.

Its working brilliantly so far. I stream a lot of online content and this enables me to watch that content and use the laptop at the same time. There are quite a few people who have issues with WiDi so I can't say it would work great for everyone but with this combo of Yoga 2 Pro and Netgear receiver, its working great.

A lot of people probably don't have a compatible laptop but for those that do, I think this is a better solution all around than the Chromecast for a few extra bucks and worth the punt (as I said, fingers crossed you don't have major issues with it).

For everyone else.... as you were :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

Could I stream sky go in a chrome tab to my tv?
    I would like to know this also.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,378 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Could I stream fromsport/sportlemon links from the Chrome browser on my Android device to Chromecast?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Raoul wrote: »
    Me also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Raoul wrote: »

Think it's been answered before and answer is no. Definitely confirms one way or the other somewhere in this thread though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement